Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Docjowles posted:

Does anyone want to speak in favor of divisions in fantasy? I joined a new league this year that uses them. The other division is basically the NFC south, I have four hundred more points and two more wins than their leader but am in third and not going to get a playoff bye as things currently stand. This seems dumb as hell in a game that is already extremely random

It's just the sliding scale of where you decide things "matter".

If this was total roto, you'd just go by PF and forget w/l altogether. I'm in one league with divisions, and it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Docjowles posted:

Does anyone want to speak in favor of divisions in fantasy? I joined a new league this year that uses them. The other division is basically the NFC south, I have four hundred more points and two more wins than their leader but am in third and not going to get a playoff bye as things currently stand. This seems dumb as hell in a game that is already extremely random

It works well for us in the 20 team. We have four divisions of five teams. There’s an AFC and NFC conference and we use real NFL tiebreakers instead of just accepting ESPN’s calculations.

The divisions do create some rivalries as one division was consistently winning over the other divisions, but the other divisions are catching up.

We only send eight out of 20 to the playoffs with no byes, so it’s rare that a team wins the division with a truly horrific record. But with 20 teams, things balance out in the end.

In my other leagues, divisions don’t matter as much except for the 14 team one where it’s split 5-5-4 (don’t ask me why it’s not 7-7), so usually people want into the 4 team division.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think in general some leagues try to be too much like real football when FF is a completely different game that just so happens to use real life football stats.
Like some people will complain that PPR doesn't make sense because in real FB you don't get points for a catch, but this is irrelevant because the playing field is equal regardless of the scoring system and it is just meant to shift the value from one type of player to another and hopefully make it more interesting to play.
So this is all to say that I don't think divisions make sense. While in real FB a team might overcome the odds or have certain strengths that allow them to win, in FF you are just comparing points.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 21, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

He’s right, and the people who bother athletes over their loving fantasy lineups are losers

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Chernabog posted:

I think in general some leagues try to be too much like real football when FF is a completely different game that just so happens to use real life football stats.
Like some people will complain that PPR doesn't make sense because in real FB you don't get points for a catch, but this is irrelevant because the playing field is equal regardless of the scoring system and it is just meant to shift the value from one type of player to another and hopefully make it more interesting to play.
So this is all to say that I don't think divisions make sense. While in real FB a team might overcome the odds or have certain strengths that allow them to win, in FF you are just comparing points.

I think anything that adds some chaos/heartbreak to a league makes it more fun to play.

I totally see the argument for no divisions, top 6 teams make the playoffs based on record then PF but IDK, I think its fun seeing a team get hot because they won their division, got a bye and then go nuts (when in reality they're the 3rd or 4th best record). It's all gambling at the end of the day, there's no guarantee that the person with the best record is gonna win everything.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Freaquency posted:

He’s right, and the people who bother athletes over their loving fantasy lineups are losers

The lowest of sports scum, he’s a person you assholes :yikes:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Matt Zerella posted:

there's no guarantee that the person with the best record is gonna win everything.

Ain’t that the drat truth.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Freaquency posted:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm dropping Jakobi Meyers for OBJ. Meyers has had very little upside since AOC took over and I'm hoping OBJ continues expanding his role with Mandrews out.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Anti-Hero posted:

since AOC took over

Helluva double take on this one

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Week 12 Charts for RB/WR Matchups. Previously used Fantasy PPG for the season but was still outputting Denver as the worst Run D, that didn't seem right given the last cpl games so I checked average PPG for last 4 games which ~feels more accurate for setting matchups.

Enemy Rush% is a proxy for gamescript, couldnt find a week-to-week breakdown so this is a season-long metric and a bit imprecise

Opponent Pass Quality is % passes where the opposing QB isn't hurried, hit, or sacked and is season-long

irl football stats from PFR

quote:

Season long vs. last 4 comps in case anyone cares. Transparent logo is total PPG and regular logo is avg of last 4. Wish PFR had team stats on a week-to-week basis but oh welll; split these into AFC and NFC since 2x32 logos per chart was too noisy

DEN and CAR got a lot better and should no longer be considered cupcake matchups, even if yahoo still highlights them as a green matchup for RBs

NYJ secondary has been lights out, sucks for fans that management hasn't taken QB seriously

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Helluva double take on this one

Indeed.

In order to make that move I had to clear a bench spot to get Higgins out of IR. So I dropped Howell, who covered for Hurts during his bye.

Only to then notice my opponent has Burrow and Stafford.

He's totally going to pick up Howell and use him against me. Goddammitt. Don't gently caress around with fantasy rosters in a hurried manner.

Luckily in my other league I was able to pick up Charbs to handcuff my likely dead Walker!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1727064286768337077?s=46&t=OK6AvWM-NBtlIQDYnQH66w

In case anyone was running this guy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Y’all like Patterson or McPherson ROS?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Let’s see if holding Charbonnet all season in every league finally pays off!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Michael Thomas to IR, dude is incredibly snakebit

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Bellmaker posted:

Michael Thomas to IR, dude is incredibly snakebit

Bummer. Thanks for the consistent 7-10 points in my WR3 slot the first half of the year, king.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I dropped Jaylen Warren a few weeks ago to pick up a TE as a bye week filler and now he might be the only Steelers player worth rostering

And the dude who grabbed him is now on a 5 game winning streak and in second place behind me

lol if this bites me in the rear end

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

2nd highest points in my league on the season :D

Tied for last place with highest points against this season :banjo:

Wonderful luck this year

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

Trying to convince myself that I won this trade in my 1 qb dynasty league. Currently going for a rebuild and still fighting for last place unfortunately. Had 4 1sts.

Sent: Tua + Amon-Ra + Late 24 1st + Late 24 2nd
Got: Burrow + Chase

I feel pretty great about it but by all the calculator sites I lost out. But I’ve got Burrow and Chase as a core now and hopefully can swing MHJ if I lose the next 4 games which I’m projected to but projections have generally been bullshit this year.

Still got 2 early 1sts and a mid to late.

Sorry to say, but I think you lost this trade. Nothing catastrophically bad, but I think the other side is clearly better, for my liking.

My dynasty league has divisions. I like it, especially with the dynasty format as it seeds longstanding rivalries.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silly Burrito posted:

It works well for us in the 20 team. We have four divisions of five teams. There’s an AFC and NFC conference and we use real NFL tiebreakers instead of just accepting ESPN’s calculations.

The divisions do create some rivalries as one division was consistently winning over the other divisions, but the other divisions are catching up.

We only send eight out of 20 to the playoffs with no byes, so it’s rare that a team wins the division with a truly horrific record. But with 20 teams, things balance out in the end.

In my other leagues, divisions don’t matter as much except for the 14 team one where it’s split 5-5-4 (don’t ask me why it’s not 7-7), so usually people want into the 4 team division.

Dan Marino division supremacy 4ever. :coolfish:

BTW, I saw you dropped Burrow and I went to look at your team and I had to scroll way down to find it since the rosters page is sorted by record. Looks like a lot of Montana division is down there! It's great you guys keep each other company. :3:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quiet Feet posted:

Dan Marino division supremacy 4ever. :coolfish:

BTW, I saw you dropped Burrow and I went to look at your team and I had to scroll way down to find it since the rosters page is sorted by record. Looks like a lot of Montana division is down there! It's great you guys keep each other company. :3:

And this is why no one likes anyone from the Dan Marino division.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I woke up to getting Isaiah Likely in all three (non-20-team) leagues where I claimed or bid on him, and I feel like people are sleeping on this guy

he is gonna get quality targets replacing MAndrews. top 5 TE ROS in most formats

Kelce
Hock
Kittle
Laporta
Likely
Kincaid
Schultz/Engram/Hill/McBride
Ferg/Kmet
everyone else

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

No one bid on Charbonnet and I got him for $3 :stare:

Now to decide if I start him over Robinson or Pollard (not planning on it, but ESPN *loves* Charbs this week).

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

And this is why no one likes anyone from the Dan Marino division.

Hey, there are plenty of reasons not to like me that have nothing to do with Dan Marino. :colbert:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

pmchem posted:

I woke up to getting Isaiah Likely in all three (non-20-team) leagues where I claimed or bid on him, and I feel like people are sleeping on this guy

he is gonna get quality targets replacing MAndrews. top 5 TE ROS in most formats

Kelce
Hock
Kittle
Laporta
Likely
Kincaid
Ferg/Kmet
everyone else

Hope he works out for you but I disagree. He's not Mandrews and IMO Lamar is gonna look elsewhere.

Mandrews and Kelce are two guys where , unless it's some bolt of lightning, their fill in isn't gonna replicate what they do.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I bid against myself in beer league and put the last $20 of my FAAB on Likely. No one else bid so :lol:

It's close to the end of the season, I lost Goedert, the rest of the WW options aren't any better and I'm running a fringe playoff team at best so :shrug:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

pmchem posted:

Kelce
Hock
Kittle
Laporta
Likely
Kincaid
Ferg/Kmet
everyone else

I mean, he got 1 point after filling in for Mandrews in the first quarter…

I wouldn’t get your hopes up

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

RCarr posted:

I mean, he got 1 point after filling in for Mandrews in the first quarter…

I wouldn’t get your hopes up

Lamar had 7 pass attempts total in the second half -- the ravens were basically in clock killing mode. one of those attempts went to Likely. not really worried about the CIN game stats due to game script after Burrow's injury

Matt Zerella posted:

Hope he works out for you but I disagree. He's not Mandrews and IMO Lamar is gonna look elsewhere.

Mandrews and Kelce are two guys where , unless it's some bolt of lightning, their fill in isn't gonna replicate what they do.

do agree he's not MAndrews, I'd rank MAndrews higher than #5

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
After loosing Andrews I don't have a lot of hope at the tight end position at all. Likely is probably the best bet out of all the crap left on the waiver wire, so I'm going with him regardless and hoping for the best.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I could only find Hunter Henry for this week after losing Mandrews and I didn't bid on Likely because gently caress it, I don't want any part of that passing game with Odell emerging.

Basically I'm writing off TE ROS.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I got Likely in the league where I lost Andrews. I don’t have a ton of optimism, you may recall that Andrews missed week 1. Likely scored 1 point in PPR in that game lol. It’s not like a backup RB who is guaranteed to get touches, if they don’t like him they can simply not throw to the TE anymore. But my other options are like Henry and Conklin so I don’t mind rolling the dice on a guy who could have upside and at least has a valid professional QB.

Was holding Charbonnet in one league but now that it’s his time to shine I’m not sure I actually want to play him. He would be replacing one of Monty, Brian Robinson, or Puka.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I was able to grab Njoku to replace Andrews. I avoided Likely, he just did not look that great for the few passes that came his way last week and I could see more passes going toward the receivers rather than him having the same targets as Andrews. Goedert is also available, when is he supposed to be back? Since he is projected for 0 points he is off people's radar, but I imagine once his return is announced I will not be able to grab him through waivers, so ideally I could grab him a week before he returns.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 22, 2023

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I was able to trade for Engram to replace Andrews, hopefully he's good enough to help me make a good playoff run. He was a decent cheap option considering the other more expensive and drastic options I was considering when I was drunk.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Latest I’ve seen on Goedert is Sirianni saying “there’s a reason we didn’t put him on IR” so I guess he could be back in another week or two? Which seems crazy recovering from a broken arm but maybe

I also tried to trade with every team carrying two TEs and they all refused which was annoying. Not because my offer sucked they just don’t want to give me a TE lol.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

I was able to grab Njoku to replace Andrews. I avoided Likely, he just did not look that great for the few passes that came his way last week and I could see more passes going toward the receivers rather than him having the same targets as Andrews. Goedert is also available, when is he supposed to be back? Since he is projected for 0 points he is off people's radar, but I imagine once his return is announced I will not be able to grab him through waivers, so ideally I could grab him a week before he returns.

https://x.com/SalVetriDFS/status/1727039180948353171?s=20

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Yeah I’m having a tough time deciding between Lamar and Stroud this week. Both have pros and cons, I could see the Ravens beating up on the Chargers and just running it, but I could also see Stroud throwing 3 INTs against Jax.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Likely was really good filling in last year, but really did nothing last week. He’s a total crapshoot, but I think the talent is there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I like :D Likely, but just expecting him to be Andrews 2.0 or anything close to it is wishful thinking. I’m sure he will be perfectly viable as a non-elite (Kelce, Kittle, Hock) TE, but that’s not really saying much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

TE is such a wasteland that I don't blame anyone taking a shot on Likely. If he only manages 4 points that's at least as good as half the tight ends out there anyway.