Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
News corp are just preparing for scomo to announce that we are lifting the nuclear ban at COP26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Budzilla posted:

If you asked me 15 years ago should Australia get nuclear power I would say yes. But renewable energy is so good now and continually improving I don't see the point in a place like Australia with a low population and lack of energy intensive industries make it a viable option. So nuclear is a non-starter for myself in Australia for that reason alone.

I think your argument can be turned on its head. Why not invest in the future of power generation? We might build our first reactor in a generation's time but it will give our country more options for power.

I'm a fan of nuclear just based on the nerd factor, but I don't think the numbers stack up here due to the lack of any supporting nuclear industry beyond digging up ore and turning it to yellowcake.

If we're going to spend $xxB on a big power project, let's build HVDC between east and west coasts so solar power in WA can supply the evening peak in the east.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Sierra Madre posted:

It's also been disheartening to see only Tier 1 sites getting into the public record. Really does suggest that half of this city is an exposure site, and I don't know why they're not bothering to report it.

They should take the melbourne train network approach and start publishing a list of safe zones instead

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

News corp are just preparing for scomo to announce that we are lifting the nuclear ban at COP26

We've actually been developing a nuclear armed Jaeger strikeforce to unleash on the kaiju refugees

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

hooman posted:

The problem with nuclear is the ramp up time, where the wait for reactors and skills is going to be long, which doesn't exist for renewables. We can build the renewables right now and transition, we cannot do that with nuclear plants.

I agree. In the fifteen plus years it would take to build our first reactor, we can build out renewables at less (and constantly reducing) cost. The intermittency issue can be addressed by overbuilding capacity so that even in dark still times you have enough generation to meet demand.

And on top of that, I think nuclear is not politically viable, no matter how hard Murdoch campaigns for it.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

hooman posted:

The problem with nuclear is the ramp up time, where the wait for reactors and skills is going to be long, which doesn't exist for renewables. We can build the renewables right now and transition, we cannot do that with nuclear plants.

I would love to run everything off renewables, its a no brainer. But I find it very hard to get accurate information about what happens at night or when the wind stops. Energy storage is always just handwaved away.

eg. https://theconversation.com/really-australia-its-not-that-hard-10-reasons-why-renewable-energy-is-the-future-130459
"Oh just pumped hydro and batteries."

or
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook43p/poweringaustralia

"energy storage (for example, with molten salt) and a varied renewable network can go some way towards alleviating the problem of intermittency"

...great.

But isn't mining for battery materials an environmental nightmare? and exactly how many molten salt facilities are we going to need and where exactly is all this pumped hydro coming from?

Until then I think nuclear has to still be an option.

edit:

Beffer posted:

I agree. In the fifteen plus years it would take to build our first reactor, we can build out renewables at less (and constantly reducing) cost. The intermittency issue can be addressed by overbuilding capacity so that even in dark still times you have enough generation to meet demand.

And on top of that, I think nuclear is not politically viable, no matter how hard Murdoch campaigns for it.

eh? that's what i mean.

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 13, 2021

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Unless you think reporting huge lists of tier 2 sites would scare people into supporting more restrictions (reasonable in theory, but I doubt it), surely your first paragraph answers the second? There's too many sites to check for this info to be useful for individuals to make decisions about isolating themselves and there's no point reporting them if it's not going to inform decisions on changing restrictions.

Good point, it would just be an excessive overload of information. But I think the current reporting is downplaying just how widespread this is becoming. Right now the daily case numbers are just that - numbers. (Obviously if you work in somewhere like a hospital it's more than that, but I'm speaking of the population in averages.) They cover the whole city, but the city is a big place. Reporting on exposure sites help contextualise them. You see exactly how wide it's spreading, how close it is to your doorstep. Without them there's nothing to ground that number, and you're stuck inside thinking that it's the other side of city that's the plague pit keeping you from enjoying life. Anything that gives this virus a geographic location and not just some ethereal thing that's on the news and keeps you indoors will help in diminishing the inevitable backlash if plans change.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Stubbed my toe in one of theses once, been very weary of their effectiveness ever since.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

Hadn't considered this but does seem like a legit possibility.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

When is the earliest and/or latest Scomo can call a federal election?

I ask because on my walk yesterday, I saw a poster for the Liberal candidate for my seat. (Dunkley. Which is in outer suburban Melbourne).

Coz the conventional wisdom was that Scomo was waiting till after he had "opened 'er up" to call an election so he could look like the liberating hero. But if there is a poster up already, maybe there is another marketing scheme in play.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Illuminti posted:

I would love to run everything off renewables, its a no brainer. But I find it very hard to get accurate information about what happens at night or when the wind stops. Energy storage is always just handwaved away.

eg. https://theconversation.com/really-australia-its-not-that-hard-10-reasons-why-renewable-energy-is-the-future-130459
"Oh just pumped hydro and batteries."

or
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook43p/poweringaustralia

"energy storage (for example, with molten salt) and a varied renewable network can go some way towards alleviating the problem of intermittency"

...great.

But isn't mining for battery materials an environmental nightmare? and exactly how many molten salt facilities are we going to need and where exactly is all this pumped hydro coming from?

Until then I think nuclear has to still be an option.

edit:

eh? that's what i mean.

Luckily ANU has done this work for you

https://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/anu-finds-22000-potential-pumped-hydro-sites-in-australia

There are 22,000 potential pumped hydro sites with a potential total storage capacity of 67,000 GWh, while a 100% renewable grid would need only 450GWh nationwide.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Sierra Madre posted:

Good point, it would just be an excessive overload of information. But I think the current reporting is downplaying just how widespread this is becoming. Right now the daily case numbers are just that - numbers. (Obviously if you work in somewhere like a hospital it's more than that, but I'm speaking of the population in averages.) They cover the whole city, but the city is a big place. Reporting on exposure sites help contextualise them. You see exactly how wide it's spreading, how close it is to your doorstep. Without them there's nothing to ground that number, and you're stuck inside thinking that it's the other side of city that's the plague pit keeping you from enjoying life. Anything that gives this virus a geographic location and not just some ethereal thing that's on the news and keeps you indoors will help in diminishing the inevitable backlash if plans change.

The information is available in easily digestible form if you know where to look.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...aths-death-toll

I expect that a lot of people in Vic gave up on checking the huge exposure sites lists and instead started looking at the social media alerts and the suburbs mentioned in press conferences. That's what happened in NSW.

Today, NSW and Victoria have almost the same number of hospitalisations, people in ICU, and people on ventilators.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Luckily ANU has done this work for you

https://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/anu-finds-22000-potential-pumped-hydro-sites-in-australia

There are 22,000 potential pumped hydro sites with a potential total storage capacity of 67,000 GWh, while a 100% renewable grid would need only 450GWh nationwide.

Noice.

edit:

That led me to this

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parlia...ionsPumpedHydro

Which is a great summary/write up. So infuriating that the government/people generally can't see what a no brainer this is.

I hereby rescind my claim that nuclear should still be on the table.

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 14, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Senor Tron posted:

Hadn't considered this but does seem like a legit possibility.

Yeah, also this is word I'm getting from mining industry GR people. It seems likely.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Victoria is about a week away from hitting 70% double dosed and just recorded almost 2300 new cases in 24 hours, I hope there's a plan B.

Sydney's cases are presumably also going to shoot back up in the coming weeks, I don't think thousands of cases a day is going to be an unreasonable expectation when we're only 70% of (eligible) people fully vaxxed and we're actually going back to pubs/cafes/schools/offices.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
As far as I can tell, the people in power wanting the nuclear option are the same "Conservative" ones who have been not wanting to do anything about climate change for decades. They have no legitimacy in arguing in good faith. Also, it involves more mining by the same companies who don't want to stop destroying the planet.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

When is the earliest and/or latest Scomo can call a federal election?

I ask because on my walk yesterday, I saw a poster for the Liberal candidate for my seat. (Dunkley. Which is in outer suburban Melbourne).

Coz the conventional wisdom was that Scomo was waiting till after he had "opened 'er up" to call an election so he could look like the liberating hero. But if there is a poster up already, maybe there is another marketing scheme in play.

ABC's resident psephologist bot has put a post together here:

https://antonygreen.com.au/when-can-the-next-federal-election-be-held/

Short answer - any time between now and May next year.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Comstar posted:

As far as I can tell, the people in power wanting the nuclear option are the same "Conservative" ones who have been not wanting to do anything about climate change for decades. They have no legitimacy in arguing in good faith. Also, it involves more mining by the same companies who don't want to stop destroying the planet.

Large industrial facilities typically lend themselves to being owned/run/controlled by traditional capitalist interests. Distributed energy resources, as its name suggests, allows lots of smaller players to participate.

If you can get a few rich types running the place, as was the case with fossil fuels, you can lobby far more effectively for rent seeking, maintaining externalities, government support etc.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

Sydney's cases are presumably also going to shoot back up in the coming weeks, I don't think thousands of cases a day is going to be an unreasonable expectation when we're only 70% of (eligible) people fully vaxxed and we're actually going back to pubs/cafes/schools/offices.

For NSW the real test will come when travel between Greater Sydney and regional NSW is allowed, and it sounds like that's the thing they're thinking of delaying again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

Yeah, also this is word I'm getting from mining industry GR people. It seems likely.

Seems like the type of thing that in times past would have had a referendum, or at least a parliamentary debate.

I think all the time with National Cabinet has made Morrison start thinking of himself as a president, not a PM.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Lolie posted:

Victoria is about a week away from hitting 70% double dosed and just recorded almost 2300 new cases in 24 hours, I hope there's a plan B.

Remember that full vaccine efficacy is not reached until weeks after the second dose, and that 70% is the eligible population, not total.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Konomex posted:

Remember that full vaccine efficacy is not reached until weeks after the second dose, and that 70% is the eligible population, not total.

and that vaccine efficacy wanes over about 6 months and you need a booster then to get it back up

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Konomex posted:

Luckily for us 12-15 year olds are going great on getting vaccinated especially compared to their elders. Probably because they're not on facebook.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20211013_00.aspx

quote:

In the 12-15 year old age group, 69.7 percent have had their first dose, and 20.3 percent are fully vaccinated.

They've only been eligible for about 2 and half months

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
whats the auspol take on workers, specifically hospitality and retail, having to check vaccination status? (in VIC)

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Helith posted:

and that vaccine efficacy wanes over about 6 months and you need a booster then to get it back up

My understanding is this waning is for infection resistance only, and not against hospitalisation / death?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What if we bought a bunch of those micro nuclear reactors that rolls Royce developed.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

swimsuit posted:

whats the auspol take on workers, specifically hospitality and retail, having to check vaccination status? (in VIC)

They don't get paid enough to get stuck with that duty.

So far there seems to have been a limited amount of backlash in Sydney, so hopefully it will be the same in Vic. Maybe people are realising that giving minimum wage staff a hard time over it is a guaranteed way to social media infamy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

swimsuit posted:

I thought you just had to scan in on the QR code, and that said if you were or were not vaccinated.

I have tested it in the last couple of days, and when I scan in, there is a green dot that says I am fully vaccinated, and therefore allowed to buy my milk and eggs at the supermarket.

There is usually an employee at the entrance of the coles or woolworths. But so far I have had no hassle, so long as I scan in. I imagine that the poor person doing that is going to get a lot of abuse from angry anti-vaxxers and confused old people who never linked their vax certificate to the right app.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

go_banana posted:

My understanding is this waning is for infection resistance only, and not against hospitalisation / death?

Correct, but doomers like to pretend it's about both.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

swimsuit posted:

There's the usual idiots posting on Facebook about it and really nobody thinks it should be some poor 16 y/o's job to do it but the people hassling them are being rightfully mocked when they post their "owns".

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

go_banana posted:

personally I'd prefer to avoid all three, so boost me up

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

wtf is going on with the SA Liberals?

You're going to need to be more specific

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

something everybody is just glossing over is iirc the nuclear subs australia is talking about buying will never have to be refueled in their service lifespan so theres no need for a local nuclear industry to service them in fact australia will probably be prohibited from messing with the reactors by the us

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

swimsuit posted:

loving sucks but I don't see an easy way around it unless we want every little shop and cafe to have to hire bouncers.

I really would like to see the government push very hard on enforcement for the first few months (both patrons and businesses). Now is the time to be conditioning people.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The right time for large scale nuclear was from back when the greens were in their peak whinge phase, all the way up to 2005 maybe. If we start a nuclear project now we'd be lucky to see any generation at all by 2050.

Renewables are cheaper, can be rolled out fast, and are less of a political shitshow.

Micro reactors on the other hand could have great application in remote communities and mine sites.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

freebooter posted:

loving sucks but I don't see an easy way around it unless we want every little shop and cafe to have to hire bouncers.

I really would like to see the government push very hard on enforcement for the first few months (both patrons and businesses). Now is the time to be conditioning people.

Agreed. My first thought is that ultimately it doesn't seem any more egregious than making us enforce QR code compliance (which also sucks but lacks a viable alternative) but the less rational part of my mind worries that ultimately there's some intangible increase in likelihood of it escalating beyond simply telling people that its part of the condition of entry and they have a big fuckin sook and gently caress off without any trouble

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

swimsuit posted:

It's going to suck rear end. Pretty much daily I'm dealing with idiots angry they can't come in to shop and don't want to place C&C orders. I've already gotten into it a few times with anti vaxxers and anti lockdown pricks so honestly not looking forward to opening up and dealing with it hundreds of times a day

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm extremely glad I no longer work in a lovely bottle-o rn

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Illuminti posted:

Luckily for us 12-15 year olds are going great on getting vaccinated especially compared to their elders. Probably because they're not on facebook.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20211013_00.aspx

They've only been eligible for about 2 and half months

This is great, but I keep seeing their good uptake getting attributed to them being smarter than their elders. They probably are, but they’re getting jabbed faster because there’s no need to be hesitant about AZ anymore, there is no supply issue anymore, and their parents are taking them to get jabbed ASAP. 12-15 year olds don’t make their own medical decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, I took Australia's relatively slow vaccination rate to be more to do with the way that ScoMo hosed up the supply of it, and less to do with "vaccine hesitancy".

I mean, there are nutjob antivaxxers in Aus. As recent protests have shown, But I have always felt that they were the minority, and most people were happy to get the vaccine as soon as possible. It's just that it wasn't possible for the longest time. (And depending on where you live now, is still more difficult than it should be.)