Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hel posted:

Since when was the discussion actually about the U.S. music industry, instead of globally?

Spotify and other streaming sites are not legal in China and are blocked. If we are talking about Spotify/Pandora/streaming sites and their effects on the music industry, then China doesn't really impact it at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TACD posted:

Who’s the customer for music videos? I’ve never known anywhere that you could legally buy them.

I think you can or could buy them on iTunes? Either way I’m pretty sure tv stations like MTV etc have to pay licensing fees so maybe that’s included in the chart? The title doesn’t specifically say money paid for by consumers.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

TACD posted:

Who’s the customer for music videos? I’ve never known anywhere that you could legally buy them.

If you watch a music video on youtube then the uploader gets some revenue. I wonder if that number also includes things like concert DVDs.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Your off your rocker asking 500,000 for that space. At that price you could new build a 3-4000 square foot new build. That pricing is cope from someone who took a bath on commercial real estate and desperately doesn't want their portfolio to loose face value and trigger some clause in their loan. Also sounds like they have set themselves up as the HOA/condo association to ensure maximum profits.

You couldn't buy the land for that in that area for $500k, let alone build a 3k sf house on it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Your off your rocker asking 500,000 for that space. At that price you could new build a 3-4000 square foot new build. That pricing is cope from someone who took a bath on commercial real estate and desperately doesn't want their portfolio to loose face value and trigger some clause in their loan. Also sounds like they have set themselves up as the HOA/condo association to ensure maximum profits.

I think you're mostly right, but the price really isn't that far off for the area, unfortunately. It's lovely but I can easily see it as someone who has a job nearby and no family, and doesn't care that much about the aesthetics. I'm surprised they're trying to sell it as a condo instead of making it a rental themselves though.

Here's a small house in roughly the same area with roughly the same footage, except it has a tiny sad little yard and a fence, and actually looks like a home. Best of all, it's merely twice as expensive!

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 17, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That house could be really cute with a little renovation. It should not cost a million dollars, though. The condo could never be cute, no matter how renovated.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I don't think anyone ever expects the condo to be cute, they just expect it to be there with working AC and a parking lot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ample parking.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

withak posted:

Ample parking.

Friendly neighbors.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For when I want to have dozens of people over to my condo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nenonen posted:

There's definitely something VERY wrong about having a washing machine in your kitchen/dining room/living room area. Like the part where you would likely be keeping your dirty laundry basket in your kitchen. Might as well hang the laundry to dry in your bedroom.

In my house my washer&dryer are in my kitchen area. Almost every apartment I've ever lived in had the washer and dryer in a room right next to the kitchen as well (if they had a washer and dryer, some didn't and it sucked). It's really not that uncommon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

withak posted:

For when I want to have dozens of people over to my condo.

Nintendo Switch party woo! :woop:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TACD posted:

And most bathrooms don’t have a floor drain?

What happens when you take a shower??? :psyduck:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Nenonen posted:

What happens when you take a shower??? :psyduck:

I think they meant that there’s only a floor drain in the tub/shower itself, which isn’t going to help you if your washer somehow manages to fit in the bathroom and leaks for whatever reason.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 17, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Baronash posted:

I think they meant that there’s only a floor drain in the tub/shower itself, which isn’t going to help you if your washer somehow manages to fit in the bathroom and leaks for whatever reason.

The drain should be in the lowest point of the room and the floor is slightly sloping, so everything can drain there.
No matter where the water is coming from.

Shower, Tub, Leaky appliances or leaky toilet? They all obey the gravity.
At least that how it works in Finland.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Issaries posted:

The drain should be in the lowest point of the room and the floor is slightly sloping, so everything can drain there.

If the drain is in the tub then your washer would need to flood the entire room up to a couple feet deep of water to start spilling into a drainable space.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tubs?!? Where do you people live, the 17th century???

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I really can’t tell which posts here are real posts and which are poo poo posts anymore.

Yes bathrooms in the US typically have bathtubs.

A lot of the converted apartments don’t have bathtubs though and just have a shower area.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Issaries posted:

This sounds like what we’d call a wet room, which I guess you could probably have in a flat but I’ve never seen one. Mostly in hotels and such.

Nenonen posted:

Tubs?!? Where do you people live, the 17th century???
How do you have a bath?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have a small craftsman home that turned 100 this year and it has a bathtub

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Issaries posted:

In US residences, the floor drain is usually in the shower, which has a raised area around the edges to keep the water in so that you don't flood your entire bathroom every time you bathe.

That said, living space design varies tremendously based on a variety of factors, including region, climate, local cultural practices, time period the place was built, when it was last renovated, what kind of building/unit it's in, how big the space is, and how much it's being sold/rented for.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

TACD posted:

This sounds like what we’d call a wet room, which I guess you could probably have in a flat but I’ve never seen one. Mostly in hotels and such.

How do you have a bath?

I go to sauna and then have a shower. What kind of question is that?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC in the US there's also a lot of snobbery over clothes lines even in places where it's perfectly viable. On the other hand you got the iconic extending clothlines hanging over the streets of New York between apartments.
It's common for homeowners associations to ban clotheslines.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just wanted to pound on this again since I discovered regional differences in new construction square footage:

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Your off your rocker asking 500,000 for that space. At that price you could new build a 3-4000 square foot new build.

We recently looked into new construction in Portland. The common number I got for price per square foot was a minimum of 250, with 191 being the state's average at-large. 250 per square foot gives you just 2000 square feet for 500k.

The math gets worse because that excludes paperwork and any design work. It arguably even excludes utility hookups.

So San Rafael is not Portland, but hell, it most likely costs even more.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Main Paineframe posted:

In US residences, the floor drain is usually in the shower, which has a raised area around the edges to keep the water in so that you don't flood your entire bathroom every time you bathe.

And to add to this and tie into tubchat, many bathrooms in the US have a tub with a shower as a single unit, so you typically stand in the tub, close a curtain or door, and then shower while standing in the tub. The tub, of course, has a drain. They're sold as a unit that can be put into a bathroom (including the tiling on the wall), and I've encountered them in apartments as well as houses throughout my life.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

TACD posted:

Oh, ok. I have personally never seen a shower or sauna, that wasn't a wet room in Finland.
My house has separate laundry room "Apukeittiö" (literally Helpkitchen), but it has a floor drain too in case the washer leaks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dirk the Average posted:

And to add to this and tie into tubchat, many bathrooms in the US have a tub with a shower as a single unit, so you typically stand in the tub, close a curtain or door, and then shower while standing in the tub. The tub, of course, has a drain. They're sold as a unit that can be put into a bathroom (including the tiling on the wall), and I've encountered them in apartments as well as houses throughout my life.

A lot of these don't use tile walls anymore either and have solid plastic (or sheet rock or whatever) for the walls. It looks plain but it's a hell of a lot easier to clean and less maintenance than tile.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Not really sure if this is a “tech nightmare” or if it’s a “people bad at using tech nightmare” but either way it’s kind of bad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66226873

quote:

Millions of US military emails have been mistakenly sent to Mali, a Russian ally, because of a minor typing error.

Emails intended for the US military's ".mil" domain have, for years, been sent to the west African country which ends with the ".ml" suffix.

Some of the emails reportedly contained sensitive information such as passwords, medical records and the itineraries of top officers.

[…]

On the one hand, I don’t think you can blame the users for typing .ml instead of .mil because people make mistakes and it’s just a 1 letter difference.

On the other hand, those users should probably not be emailing PII like “medical records” or sensitive information like “maps of US military facilities” through unencrypted email. And they most definitely should not be emailing “passwords” at all, period.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ah, the most massive and overfunded military in the world ladies and gentlemen

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

HOW is that even a typo

I would understand that trying to type mil and ending up with mol or mul or kil or mik or even nup because those are adjacent letters on keyboard. But mil has three letters, ml only two. That's no typo, that's just not understanding what the real address is.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Nenonen posted:

HOW is that even a typo

I would understand that trying to type mil and ending up with mol or mul or kil or mik or even nup because those are adjacent letters on keyboard. But mil has three letters, ml only two. That's no typo, that's just not understanding what the real address is.

They probably did mess them up in other ways too, but there aren't an infinite number of TLDs (and there used to be significantly fewer) so those other misspellings wouldn't have gone anywhere.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Desperately clicking the unsend button in outlook.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nenonen posted:

HOW is that even a typo

Use a budget membrane keyboard and see how well it registers anything at 60wpm or higher

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Ah, the most massive and overfunded military in the world ladies and gentlemen

A lot of the budget prolly goes towards making sure missiles get delivered to the right places. But even then they tend to hit harmless wedding parties so who can say if it’s a budgeting issue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Boris Galerkin posted:

A lot of the budget prolly goes towards making sure missiles get delivered to the right places. But even then they tend to hit harmless wedding parties so who can say if it’s a budgeting issue.

True, not much money left for information security when most of it is shoveled into the coffers of Lockheed-Martin and Co.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boris Galerkin posted:

About 60% of defense spending (as of 2020) goes to salaries, benefits, supplies (food/clothing/sheets/etc), healthcare, maintenance, and real estate.

The military has so many people in it that it is basically a real estate empire that runs an insurance company/adult daycare/storage unit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

About 60% of defense spending (as of 2020) goes to salaries, benefits, supplies (food/clothing/sheets/etc), healthcare, maintenance, and real estate.

The military has so many people in it that it is basically a real estate empire that runs an insurance company/adult daycare/storage unit.

Do you have a source for these numbers? Not that I don’t believe you but I’m just curious to dive in deeper.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you have a source for these numbers? Not that I don’t believe you but I’m just curious to dive in deeper.

Here's the full Green Book with all the accounting for FY21.

https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/Documents/defbudget/fy2021/FY21_Green_Book.pdf

Wikipedia has a decent summary here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States#cite_note-fy21GreenBook-32

Here's a general breakdown from 2017. The numbers are in billions of dollars.

quote:

Military Personnel - 138.6
Operation and Maintenance - 244.4
Procurement - 118.9
RDT&E - 69.0
Revolving and Management Funds - 1.3
Military Construction - 6.9
Family Housing - 1.3
Total - 580.3

Military personal and operations + maintenance accounted for 66% of the budget.

Procurement (new vehicles/missiles/guns/etc) is the next biggest at about 21%.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

quote:

RDT&E - 69.0
Military Construction - 6.9

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, back when the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were in full swing they had "Overseas Contingency Operation" funds that were funding for the war. So, those shrunk the portion of the budget that went to salaries and maintainace from 2002 through 2011 or so. But, now that those have winded down, the portion of the military budget for staffing, benefits, and maintenance has shot back up.

That is kind of the dirty open secret about military spending. If you want to drastically reduce military spending, then you need to kick out or attrition out a lot of people and shrink the real estate footprint. But, even people who want to shrink the defense budget always shy away from saying we need to reduce the amount of people. And they banned the independent commission that shut down bases back in 2013.

Bill Clinton is still the only President who successfully carried out a force reduction program and his plan would have reduced the number of people by about 18%. But, then 9/11 happened and they reversed all the force reduction and then recruited hundreds of thousands of new people.