Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That too, but my initial setup wasn't really doing enough damage to make it anything other than a slog and shuffling some quartz around made it go by way faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taear posted:

Is Cold Steel as infinitely annoying and Anime as trails in the sky?

short answer: no

:twisted:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Cold Steel is more anime..

Also a slightly different one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well I'd ask why Enix did that to 7th saga, but goddamnit I know why. Yeah I'll just play mystic ark instead. Sisyphusian slogs are not what I want to deal with rn.

it's possible for 7th saga to become impossible depending on what the other heroes do

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What the Christ. The game has straight up lose states?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Sort of. There's a specific character who effectively is unbeatable once they hit a certain level and if they steal your magic plot device you're basically hosed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
iirc it's esuna and she's a danger if you chose leges (which you did :v:) because she'll never join him specifically, and the best way to prevent her from becoming the late-game rival is to make her a party member

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's a bug that I think is only in the US version?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's a bug that I think is only in the US version?

Not technically a bug. They slashed the player character's stat gains on level in the US version, but all the NPCs get their full stats. So if you level up they become more and more difficult relative to you since they get more powerful.

There are more than a few that are effectively impossible, but that one is literally mathematically impossible past a certain level IIRC. Also the rival is randomly chosen in every game and sometimes your buddy character will just rob you which is fun.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I could have sworn that involved the bugged spell that restores all hp and mp including what you spend to cast it but lord knows it's a bad enough game to have several loss states

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

From what I hear if you get the healer as your rival and level up too much they get a full heal spell. And since your stat gains suck, it makes the game mathematically impossible to beat because there's no way for you to kill the infinite-MP boss before it full-heals itself, which it does regularly.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Good god that Secret of Mana reboot looks terrible. They don't add any new content like the missing story in the second half of the game, but they are adding terrible voice acting and a loving minimap. The original defined my early childhood console gaming but I feel like I'm just not the target audience here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
on the other hand, it will be good if they make the combat actually good

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What's wrong with a minimap? A lot of the SoM maps suck dicks and are hard to find your way around. Minimap doesn't exactly harm anything.

I don't really care about voice acting either way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Morpheus posted:

What's wrong with a minimap? A lot of the SoM maps suck dicks and are hard to find your way around. Minimap doesn't exactly harm anything.

I hate change :byodood:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

There are some patches on romhacking.net that attempt to make 7th Saga less bad. One just patches the jp game with the English script so you don't get loving owned by a bat enemy on world map. I think there are others that attempt to fully rebalance it but they are probably bad

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Colonel posted:

on the other hand, it will be good if they make the combat actually good

Pretty much. I wanted to like SoM but the shabby combat with questionable hit boxes really killed the experience for me. Also iirc grinding magic was like FFII in that you had to use spells like 100 times each before they actually become worth using.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I like the som dance of trying to keep all enemies on the screen stunned at once
I do NOT like Sprite freezing the screen every five seconds with spell..

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

U-DO Burger posted:

Pretty much. I wanted to like SoM but the shabby combat with questionable hit boxes really killed the experience for me. Also iirc grinding magic was like FFII in that you had to use spells like 100 times each before they actually become worth using.

Turns out a big part of that is that you earn magic levels half as fast when you cast them in 'safe' zones (like at an Inn). It's not a great system regardless, but that's something you can say about most of the game's mechanics.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

U-DO Burger posted:

nah grinding magic in og secret of mana was actually pretty straightforward, and because the low exp threshold for the first five levels, it was easy to level your elements quickly. the problem was that it had a hard cap based on your progression so you waste 99% of the magic experience you get in the game. pair that with how if you hit monsters with an element they weren't weak against, it generally did <100 damage (usually 1), consequentially discouraging the use of all your elements so various ones would get left behind, and you have a system that our brains remember as having been really grindy to play catch-up against.

also, hitboxes were surprisingly consistent. the real problem is that secret of mana had evasion and miss chance like any normal rpg, but it didn't effectively communicate when attacks were evaded or you just whiffed. if you knew what you were looking at, you'd notice that hitboxes connected but the enemy made <scratchy sound effect> and did a weird block animation for a couple frames. it didn't print a number or maybe or it showed a 0, but that was "in an action game, that's a clean hit, but this is an rpg so that's a miss/evade because the rng is fuckin with you"

the messy workaround was that the first hit of a charge attack of at least lv2 has a 100% hit rate. screw the damage bonus, it was all about the hit% boost.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 27, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LoM is Square at the top of their game and it's a shame I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have when it came out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
did you know that the singer of song of mana sang cotton eye joe? did you know that she sang the song because the composer heard her from loving BAYWATCH

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SoM is a really earnest and charming game with gorgeous spritework and music, and anyone who doesn't like it is a monster IMO

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thorsilver posted:

SoM is a really earnest and charming game with gorgeous spritework and music, and anyone who doesn't like it is a monster IMO

It can be all of those things and still be bad as an actual video game.

Like part of the reason SoM is "I'm excited about this" instead of "Who cares" is because it has a delightful presentation wrapped up in some truly meh gameplay. If they can fix the gameplay that will do a lot for it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Like part of the reason SoM is "I'm excited about this" instead of "Who cares" is because it has a delightful presentation wrapped up in some truly meh gameplay. If they can fix the gameplay that will do a lot for it.

What is wrong with SoM's combat? I like it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Best PS1 game

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ImpAtom posted:

Actually it's good. Games are more than just a mechanical process of hitboxes interacting, delightful presentation adds a lot

Libluini posted:

What is wrong with SoM's combat? I like it.

Also this

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
LoM is one of the most frustrating things I've ever tried to play, it's completely miserable mechanically

But I guess it looks pretty so that invalidates all of the negatives that the game has I dunno

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thorsilver posted:

Actually it's good. Games are more than just a mechanical process of hitboxes interacting, delightful presentation adds a lot

It adds a lot but doesn't actually do much if the gameplay is badly designed. There are a lot of genuinely visually impressive games that none the less are complete rear end to play and no amount of presentation can save that.

And SoM has a lot of genuinely badly designed gameplay. It has a pretty poor UI, extremely poor hitboxes and feedback, the spell system is awkward and involves constant stopping of the game, the actual core damage numbers and mechanics are all over the place, and in general it's a real mess of design elements held together by a pretty package. This isn't a particualrly controversial statement. Even people who love SoM admit they love it in spite of its many flaws and there's a reason the response to this has been "boy, this'll be awesome if they fix the game!"

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The charge system in SoM is hilariously bad and even worse when you actually know how it works, not that the game tells you because Mana games are utterly opaque

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there something to read or Youtube that goes in depth into the SoM mechanics? It's been a long time since I played it (although I do remember the lovely hitboxes), but I'd be curious to learn about the numerical mechanics being actually lovely.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CubeTheory posted:

Best PS1 game

actually saga frontier 2 is the best ps1 g ame

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The best PS1 games are Breath of Fire 3 and 4 :colbert:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The phone port of Secret of Mana added hitsparks when you attack, it's not that it has poor hitboxes it's that your attacks can miss and also be taken by other characters if you're not the first one to hit an enemy before the next tick of the turn system. Like you're hitting the enemy but it's getting eaten by who attacked first.

Like I guess that is lovely but it never bothered me because the game is super easy to begin with.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

actually saga frontier is the best ps1 game

(also legend of legaia)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hivac posted:

LoM is one of the most frustrating things I've ever tried to play, it's completely miserable mechanically

But I guess it looks pretty so that invalidates all of the negatives that the game has I dunno

i mean, it's not bad. it's just that all the other options the game offers you, like magic instruments and monster pets and golem crafting, are so loving opaque and impenetrable that while they're technically viable options if you have the patience to figure them out like nobody on all the net ever has before in all of twenty years, you will never, ever use them in lieu of "punch thing until it dies."

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i mean, it's not bad. it's just that all the other options the game offers you, like magic instruments and monster pets and golem crafting, are so loving opaque and impenetrable that while they're technically viable options if you have the patience to figure them out like nobody on all the net ever has before in all of twenty years, you will never, ever use them in lieu of "punch thing until it dies."

Even the mechanics for just doing the content the game has to offer are complete nonsense which drives me up the wall

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ImpAtom posted:

It adds a lot but doesn't actually do much if the gameplay is badly designed. There are a lot of genuinely visually impressive games that none the less are complete rear end to play and no amount of presentation can save that.

And SoM has a lot of genuinely badly designed gameplay. It has a pretty poor UI, extremely poor hitboxes and feedback, the spell system is awkward and involves constant stopping of the game, the actual core damage numbers and mechanics are all over the place, and in general it's a real mess of design elements held together by a pretty package. This isn't a particualrly controversial statement. Even people who love SoM admit they love it in spite of its many flaws and there's a reason the response to this has been "boy, this'll be awesome if they fix the game!"

Yeah the game from 1993 doesn't live up to 2017 design standards, but it doesn't decrease my enjoyment at all personally.

I don't agree that it's 'genuinely badly designed'. Go read reviews from the time, the ring menu interface was widely praised, as was the gameplay. Edge Magazine, known here in the UK for being relative hardasses, had this to say at the time:

"But within this well-worn framework Mana includes some of the best game design and features ever seen: simultaneous three-player action, the best combat system ever designed, the best player interface ever designed, a superb control system, and yes, some of the most engrossing and rewarding gameplay yet. It really is in a class of its own as far as action RPGs or adventures go."

The game's a classic and a product of its time, of course it's going to whither under the light of modern design standards. But judged against its contemporaries it's fantastic, and the design decisions taken may not be to your taste but they were mostly well-received and proved influential on the genre. I can agree they're outdated but you make it sound like the game is some crime against ARPGs and UI design, which is a bit extreme. I'm perfectly happy playing it today without any of that poo poo bothering me, as are many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

When I played SoM I didn't go "wow this isn't as good as games today", I went "well that was a game that I played I guess". I don't absolutely loathe SoM like I do with LoM but SoM didn't really blow me away either