Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

sebzilla posted:

Sounds like she's used to disappointing semis, good news for you lmao

:flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

sebzilla posted:

lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
emptyquote

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

sebzilla posted:

:discourse:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

sebzilla posted:

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

sebzilla posted:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do we have any good toxxes? Cause loving ban me if England win the world cup :toxx:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

oliwan posted:

Do we have any good toxxes? Cause loving ban me if England win the world cup :toxx:

You don’t have to try so hard to get the whole forums to want England to win

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shut down TRP if England win the World Cup because nothing will ever matter again

e: When. When England win the World Cup. Because it is in fact coming home.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

world cup should have matches every day

in the off days of the official competition there should be like an alternative cup for youngsters or second-tier cup for those who didn't qualify

I need my fix here and football manager can only do so much

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

dead comedy forums posted:

world cup should have matches every day

in the off days of the official competition there should be like an alternative cup for youngsters or second-tier cup for those who didn't qualify

I need my fix here and football manager can only do so much

I refer you to my idea of having the third and fourth placed group sides play knockout games to see who's the worst.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
So basically you can't wait for the 48 teams world cup.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

sebzilla posted:

I refer you to my idea of having the third and fourth placed group sides play knockout games to see who's the worst.

Why not just make the whole thing double elimination at that point?

Edit: Wait, in your version would the loser of each game move forward??

pik_d fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 4, 2018

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Malaver posted:

Correct

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What I dont get is why 2 games at the same day and then days without games (in the quarters, I mean)

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Players need a rest

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Elias_Maluco posted:

What I dont get is why 2 games at the same day and then days without games (in the quarters, I mean)

Imagine having only one game a day and that game is Sweden-Switzerland

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Players need a rest

gently caress that just pump them full of PEDs and let them at it I want FOOTBALL

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Doctor Malaver posted:

i will smack my lips as i watch Venezuela play Guinea Bissau

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sebzilla posted:

:lol:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

being bored and with no football until Friday I thought to myself: what if somehow Tito never died, Milosevic and the Serbian Academy accepted federalism, and we still had the Yugoslavian National Team?

here's off the top of my head the current players from each of the old SRs (and a Special Autonomous Region) that would get a look in today

Slovenia: Jan Oblak, Josip Ilicic, Kevin Kampl
Bosnia and Herzegovina: Edin Dzeko, Miralem Pjanic, Sead Kolasinac, Asmir Begovic, Muhamad Besic
Montenegro: Stevan Jovetic, Stefan Savic
Croatia: Sime Vrsaljko, Daniel Subasic, Dejan Lovren, Ivan Perisic, Ivan Rakitic, Mateo Kovacic, Luka Modric, Marcelo Brozovic, Mario Mandzukic, Andrej Kramaric, Marko Rog, Marko Pjaca, Ivan Strinic
Serbia: Aleksandr Kolarov, Branislav Ivanovic, Dusan Tadic, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Nemanja Matic, Adem Ljalic, Aleksandr Mitrovic
Macedonia: Blerim Dzemaili
Autonomous Province of Kosovo: Adnan Januzaj, Granit Xhaka, Xherdan Shaqiri, Valon Behrami

(edited because I confused Subasic with Subotic)

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 4, 2018

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

pik_d posted:

Why not just make the whole thing double elimination at that point?

Edit: Wait, in your version would the loser of each game move forward??

Yeah, exactly. So you'd end up with Saudi Arabia against Panama or something to find the shittest team at the World Cup.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kurtofan posted:

i will smack my lips as i watch Venezuela play Guinea Bissau

Can't wait for all these shithouse teams to travel all the way to whichever petro-state they've decided on this year to play 2 matches and go home

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Troy Queef posted:

being bored and with no football until Friday I thought to myself: what if somehow Tito never died, Milosevic and the Serbian Academy accepted federalism, and we still had the Yugoslavian National Team?

here's off the top of my head the current players from each of the old SRs (and a Special Autonomous Region) that would get a look in today

Bosnia and Herzegovina: Edin Dzeko, Miralem Pjanic, Sead Kolasinac, Asmir Begovic, Muhamad Besic
Croatia: Sime Vrsaljko, Nevan Subasic, Dejan Lovren, Ivan Perisic, Ivan Rakitic, Mateo Kovacic, Luka Modric, Ivan Brozovic, Mario Mandzukic, Andrej Kramaric, Marko Rog, Marko Pjaca, Ivan Strinic
Serbia: Aleksandr Kolarov, Branislav Ivanovic, Dusan Tadic, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Nemanja Matic, Adem Ljalic, Aleksandr Mitrovic
Autonomous Province of Kosovo: Adnan Januzaj, Granit Xhaka, Xherdan Shaqiri, Valon Behrami

I like how the only goalkeepers here are Oblak and Begovic

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Turns out the greatest argument for Yugoslavia always was “together you have real chances to win a World Cup”

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Troy Queef posted:

Croatia: Sime Vrsaljko, Nevan Subasic, Dejan Lovren, Ivan Perisic, Ivan Rakitic, Mateo Kovacic, Luka Modric, Ivan Brozovic, Mario Mandzukic, Andrej Kramaric, Marko Rog, Marko Pjaca, Ivan Strinic

Subasic is Daniel, not Nevan. Brozovic is Marcelo, not Ivan. But props for knowing so many.

Some of the players weren't born in ex-Yu. Rakitic and Xhaka are Swiss by birth for example. If you take those then you might put Pulisic and Ibrahimovic too.

dead comedy forums posted:

Turns out the greatest argument for Yugoslavia always was “together you have real chances to win a World Cup”

Croatia does even without others. But a Yugo team would also win in basketball, tennis, and a few other sports as well.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 4, 2018

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

No Handanovic for Slovenia? He's still quality.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

sebzilla posted:

I ain’t even mad.

That’s crazy though; I looked up the ‘98 game now and yes, it wasn’t Croatia in the final...but I could’ve sweared that it said it was when I looked it up the other day.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

No Handanovic for Slovenia? He's still quality.

thought he retired from international football a couple years ago, that and he knew Oblak was going to take over.

still SMRT FASCISMU, SLOBODA NARODU!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Dude the pan-Slavic Yugos would absolutely beast, but why not take it further? Why not assume the events of 1914 never happen and you get the whole of the Austro-Hungarian Empire?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Dude the pan-Slavic Yugos would absolutely beast, but why not take it further? Why not assume the events of 1914 never happen and you get the whole of the Austro-Hungarian Empire?
Hell lets pretend the Spring Offensive worked in 1918 and the Central Powers won. Continental Europe would be like 3 countries now and they'd all have absolute beast teams.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Zenith of the Roman Empire national team, phwoar

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Mongol Empire wouldn't make it to the 48 team World Cup

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The height of the British empire, just phwoar. It would be the England team, Bale, Ramsey, Salah, and uh... Mikel?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

pik_d posted:

The height of the British empire, just phwoar. It would be the England team, Bale, Ramsey, Salah, and uh... Mikel?

Still no Yanks on this team, lol.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You'd lose all of Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Kosovo and Macedonia and gain who? Alaba and Hamsik?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Habsburg Empire would be pretty good imo

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The peak of the Spanish empire gets the Dutch, Argentines, southern Italians and Chileans, and so would definitely be going home in the group stages if they even qualified at all.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Back when the ex-Soviet teams were all at more or less same level of mediocrity and just about every country had a bunch of players playing in Russian top flight as well as 2 - 5 players in Europe proper, Russians really loved to do this exercise for the Soviet Union.

Today, however, Soviet Union would just be Russia plus Konoplyanka, Yarmolenko and Zinchenko (Ukraine), Mkhitaryan (Armenia) and maaaaaybe Klavan from Estonia and Odil Akhmedov from Uzbekistan.

This would be no monster team at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started doing this in my head for the Dutch empire but it's not very good

• Locked thread