Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

That's why he wanted Data dead at the end of Nemesis. It was becoming more and more silly to pretend Data's ageless.

It's sci-fi though. Just have a scene where Geordi has him on the operating table and is like "Gee, Data, I really don't understand why you want these aging modifications, but if you think it'll make you more human ..."

They don't even have to explain it! Just have him show up looking old and don't have anyone react to it. Fans would eat up the mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Lester Shy posted:

I'm surprised they didn't bring back Data as a hologram or have him be the voice of the computer on Picard's new ship or something. De-aging Spiner is a weird choice.

I bet it will just be for one scene in the pilot. A mostly static shot of him playing poker, old gut hidden by the table. Though... I don't see any reason he couldn't be the computer.

Actually, at this stage, I'm not ruling anything out. If you told me a year ago loving Seven of Nine would appear in the show, I would have called bullshit.

This trailer is kind of promising to tick off a wish-list of 24th century damage control. Seven is back but not as a sex object, Data is back but (mostly) not as an old fat man in pancake makeup, Picard is back but potentially not as a 2nd-rate action hero, the TNG story doesn't actually end with Nemesis...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I never in a million years thought they would bring back 7 of 9 for this show so I legit gasped when Jeri Ryan appeared. Cautiously optimistic

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

7 having a semi-antagonistic relationship with Picard because of both their Borg baggage may be the best thing about this. We didn't get to see the incredibly awkward meeting of these two characters after Voyager's finale for good reasons, but maybe they'll talk about it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

While we're at it, I posted this in the Discovery chat, but one of the Short Treks is called "Q&A" which gives me hope a DeLancie appearance is not off the table...

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I never in a million years thought they would bring back 7 of 9 for this show so I legit gasped when Jeri Ryan appeared. Cautiously optimistic

B4 is a lousy Data prototype that is rapidly deteriorating or unlike Data was programmed to age. Bang, done.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Surely this will be the TNG property where Picard and Q finally hook up

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I bet it will just be for one scene in the pilot. A mostly static shot of him playing poker, old gut hidden by the table.

This is my belief as well. It sounds like they didn’t plan on having B4/Data on the show at all until Stewart asked Spiner to come back, so it’ll probably just be one or two scenes and that’s it. My guess is that B4 is at some facility being studied and Picard visits him regularly to maintain some link to his old life.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Sash! posted:

Turns out that I, too, suffer from physical deterioration on human time scales.

That's all you'd need. One sentence.

Didn't he spend a few centuries in some basement in america at one point?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fascinating that Seven doesn’t have the Borg speech patterns anymore. 20 years of Earth must’ve chilled her out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CJ posted:

Didn't he spend a few centuries in some basement in america at one point?

Yeah just his head. Like 500 years.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Gonz posted:

Fascinating that Seven doesn’t have the Borg speech patterns anymore. 20 years of Earth must’ve chilled her out.

She had a (subtle) arc on Voyager about getting more human, it seems natural.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Looking at this screenshot, wonder if they put Spiner in the makeup, then attempted to use CGI to "de-age" him.

De-aging Data is one of the most justified uses of the technology ever yet they still hosed it up

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't mean to be a spoilsport but that is not gonna be good and I'd like someone to quote this and praise me when it happens

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Maybe that's why it's been delayed to 2020, to perfect the 1 minute of Data on screen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jewel Repetition posted:

I don't mean to be a spoilsport but that is not gonna be good and I'd like someone to quote this and praise me when it happens

You should start a patreon and review it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You should start a patreon and review it

I'm glad at least someone remembers me

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If it is just a couple of scenes then surely they could have CGIed him? It's ok if he looks weird because he's not human.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

She had a (subtle) arc on Voyager about getting more human, it seems natural.

I wonder if they'll do something like either she or Picard insist on calling her Annika and the other insisting on Seven. They can actually play it either way, either Picard won't use the Borg name but she feels it's her identity after so many years, or she's reclaimed her humanity fully but Jean-Luc can't fully let go of his hatred of the Borg and she reminds him of it, a la Hugh.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm not saying it'll be bad because of Data by the way. It's the whole shebang

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

De-aging Data is one of the most justified uses of the technology ever yet they still hosed it up

Good enough for me; as far as Data is concerned I'm okay with him looking sort of weird, intentionally or not.

(I actually think it looks kind of good; I mean, he doesn't look like 90's Spiner, but actually better than he did in Nemesis.)

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

You aren't excited to see Picard hide River Tam from the Borg on the Serenity?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wtf is that thing about Data sacrificing himself for Picard

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

The film Star Trek Nemesis.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Data took the blame for the Enterprise D crashing in Generations, keeping Picard from being demoted.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The film Star Trek Nemesis.

Hoo doggies

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

My first thought was that Data looks bad, but then I remembered he was an android, and that look is actually sort of fitting.

I really hope the twist isn't that the girl is secretly the new borg queen or something. That'd be really lame.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's weird as hell how you can see there's old man bags under his eyes that they just blurred out. But if it is just for one scene, I don't mind so much, I'll be too busy crying.

Also :lol: at the eagle screech at the very start of the trailer. It's a loving vineyard, not the Grand Canyon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Trailer CGI is usually unfinished so I would wager Data is, you know, unfinished.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

(Source.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The obvious solution is for him to say he's decided to age up his dermis and then maybe he'll swap it for a newer model after a human lifetime. Bam! New actor whenever Spiner feels like giving up the part.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

davidspackage posted:

It's weird as hell how you can see there's old man bags under his eyes that they just blurred out. But if it is just for one scene, I don't mind so much, I'll be too busy crying.

Also :lol: at the eagle screech at the very start of the trailer. It's a loving vineyard, not the Grand Canyon.

I live at the bottom of a steep hill near a creek in an apartment next to a large field with a forest on its perimeter, and there are some falcons or eagles which like to perch on the telephone poles and make those kinds of noises. I'm not an ornithologist and the cry of a falcon does sound different from an eagle, but it didn't really bother me.

edit: I'll probably wait until several seasons of this show are out to watch it, given that I just got done watching Voyager this year, regardless of the show's quality

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 20, 2019

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

It’d be wild if they dug up Brian Brophy and had him playing Bruce Maddox as the researcher working on B4. Looked it up and the dude’s only 60.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm glad I took the thread's advice and didn't watch this

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
For the longest time it was the only Star Trek movie that AMC would run. Guess it was the cheapest to license and fill blank spaces in the schedule.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

poo poo I'm hyped.

My theory is that the girl is Lal somehow.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Put me in the "this looks bad" camp. Better than Disco, maybe, but barely. Same boring Kurtzman aesthetic we've had for years, flippy wirefu action, an incredibly tired "chosen one" "save the galaxy" overarching plot... no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

marktheando posted:

poo poo I'm hyped.

My theory is that the girl is Lal somehow.

That's what I thought but since no one said anything I felt I'd look dumb. Also the borg nanite girl sounds more plausible so maybe it is dumb. In that case, haha look at you, you look dumb!