Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DeathSandwich posted:

His big reveal could have been "I'm secretly a miniature dolphin in a robot prompto suit" and the scene would have made just as much sense.

It would explain his voice, which is my least favorite part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So comparing guides on endgame weapons and found out a couple of them can be picked up the open world. Kinda I wonder if they're available early game...

Dominator (2nd best greatsword) is north of Alstor Slough, there is a trail north of the parking spot and follow it northwest. There's a fenced area with a few buildings and look for the red blip on the ground.

Hyper Magnum (2nd best firearm) is near Fort Vallaurey. It's towards the northeast chain link fence but west of the thick wall near the road.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

While we're talking about "poo poo in chapter 13 that pisses us off". Is anyone as as dumbfounded as I was at Prompto admitting appropos of nothing that he was some sort of Magitech creation? The whole reveal comes out of nowhere, does nothing about the implications of it, advances nothing, and is dropped almost immediately after he says it. His big reveal could of been "I'm secretly a miniature dolphin in a robot prompto suit" and the scene would of made just as much sense.
It will no doubt be given more highlight in the DLC, but he's not necessarily some sorta MT, but he's the son of Verstael, the top researcher in Niflheim, so he probably had some experiments done on him when he was a kid.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Has anyone found all the mystery map scraps? I picked up three or four so far and even though I keep looking in as many nooks and crannies as I can I can't seem to find more. The total amount was spoiled to me, but I'm not sure I want to consult a guide to find the rest quite yet.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Chapter 13: The best (worst) thing about Ravus and his death are the ~3 letters found haphazardly sprawled across the room explaining his motivations. All of the letters are written to Luna at various points throughout the plot of the story as he gradually comes to terms with Noctis's determination to do the right thing. However if he actually sent the letters to Luna they wouldn't be in the room so he just didn't send the letters and was writing them to himself or to Luna's deceased remains or or something, except he seems to be speaking to her as if she's still alive so I imagine it had to have been written before her death and what the gently caress is all of this why would you introduce a plot point this way?! :yum:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ROFL Octopus posted:

:yikes:

I might just do what I did with Yiazmat and say I theoretically could beat it, and therefore I did.

FF8 did this and it made leveling up actively detrimental.

It's was easy even when you were overleveled, you just had to use the magic and junction systems properly. In that game, being properly geared for level appropriate content meant junctioning good magic to every stat. A little grindy at a couple points, but it wasn't that hard or time consuming to get a couple stacks of -aga level spells for every stat you could junction.

SpazmasterX posted:

No it didn't, it never did, you could finish the game easily at level whatever if you aren't a retard with junctions.

Yeah!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Junctions have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Yeah of course you can junction to max out your stats, but leveling up gave enemies new techniques. So you're better off turning enemies into cards and just junctioning.

e: that being said, the game is easy as hell anyway

Techniques which didn't really matter because off your hilariously overpowered junctioned stats, yes.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. If everything scales to your level, what's the point of the leveling your character up?

Every couple of levels you get to choose a feat from a list your DM approves and... sorry, wrong game. You're right.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Grimace posted:

Chapter 13: The best (worst) thing about Ravus and his death are the ~3 letters found haphazardly sprawled across the room explaining his motivations. All of the letters are written to Luna at various points throughout the plot of the story as he gradually comes to terms with Noctis's determination to do the right thing. However if he actually sent the letters to Luna they wouldn't be in the room so he just didn't send the letters and was writing them to himself or to Luna's deceased remains or or something, except he seems to be speaking to her as if she's still alive so I imagine it had to have been written before her death and what the gently caress is all of this why would you introduce a plot point this way?! :yum:

The most bewildering plot point I have other than the Saga of Jared is the whole thing with Prompto being artificially developed Magitek fodder. It's barely addressed and adds nothing to anything.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Maybe I just had a lot more patience for grinding when I was a kid but I remember VIII being the easiest of the PS1-era games. I didn't even know enemies scaled to you until years later when I read it online, so if a kid can breeze through VIII on the strength of the junction system alone without even noticing the level scaling, was it ever really a big deal?

Completely unrelated to XV's unscaled enemies, of course. I think XV definitely took the right approach.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Completely unrelated to XV's unscaled enemies, of course. I think XV definitely took the right approach.

Did it? Because Levels are basically meaningless because there is a Point where, if you don't do all sidequests like a crazy chipmunk, you get little to no AP for the ridiculous AP costs. I finished the Game on Level 57 and I felt no stronger than I was on like Level 40.

If a Level 47 Miniboss takes 10+ Minutes, I feel like I'm doing something wrong or the Game does.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. If everything scales to your level, what's the point of the leveling your character up?

What if only the main story scaled? So you never feel like an invincible god knocking aside flies in gameplay but a wimpass kid getting clowned on in the big story cutscenes.

It would've gone some way to prevent me from yawning my way through the last three chapters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF15 main story is geared towards the average player who are bad at games. Most people I've seen that have never really played action games struggled like hell in the last couple of chapters.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I actually think the way level scaling or the lack thereof is one of the few things Final Fantasy XV does well. It generally feels like you're getting stronger as you steamroll some things, get your rear end kicked by others, and then come back later and actually stand a chance. Forget the story missions as they're trash, I'm talking about the open world balance.

Oxxidation posted:

The most bewildering plot point I have other than the Saga of Jared is the whole thing with Prompto being artificially developed Magitek fodder. It's barely addressed and adds nothing to anything.

Yeah so demons are animals and people that were turned into crazy creatures to be weapons but Prompto was created in a lab by the empire to be...a fat awkward kid? Why does he know he was created in a lab? Was he lying earlier about his childhood? His creation isn't the same as what the game explains how demons are made but apparently FFXV doesn't give a poo poo.

e: and what's up with the Assassin's Creed outfit on the throne in the room where the anti-Noctis machine was?

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 9, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there anything that speeds up download of the patch? I tried putting it in rest mode, but that stopped progress entirely. Do I just have to leave it on for 5 hours and hope it doesn't go to sleep on its own?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I actually think the way level scaling or the lack thereof is one of the few things Final Fantasy XV does well. It generally feels like you're getting stronger as you steamroll some things, get your rear end kicked by others, and then come back later and actually stand a chance. Forget the story missions as they're trash, I'm talking about the open world balance.

Yeah so demons are animals and people that were turned into crazy creatures to be weapons but Prompto was created in a lab by the empire to be...a fat awkward kid? Why does he know he was created in a lab? Was he lying earlier about his childhood? His creation isn't the same as what the game explains how demons are made but apparently FFXV doesn't give a poo poo.

e: and what's up with the Assassin's Creed outfit on the throne in the room where the anti-Noctis machine was?

It's the Emperor's clothes.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Yodzilla posted:

It was the clothes of the Nilfgaard emperor before he turned into the bat demon, you know, that guy who wasn't in the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ImpAtom posted:

It's the Emperor's clothes.

CJ posted:

It was the clothes of the Nilfgaard emperor before he turned into the bat demon, you know, that guy who wasn't in the game.

Oh of course.

I should have been able to loot that poo poo, they looked pretty swag. :madmax:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

FAUXTON posted:

How bout the decals

:stonk:

"That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!"
"Imperials above us!"
"Watch where you swing that thing!"

I'm a fan of the little bits of banter here and there but goddamn they really burn a hole in your mind.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Subjunctive posted:

Is there anything that speeds up download of the patch? I tried putting it in rest mode, but that stopped progress entirely. Do I just have to leave it on for 5 hours and hope it doesn't go to sleep on its own?

Enable network while in rest mode from the settings and you can dl while in rest mode

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

TopHatGenius posted:

"That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!"
"Imperials above us!"
"Watch where you swing that thing!"

I'm a fan of the little bits of banter here and there but goddamn they really burn a hole in your mind.

Talk about backseat fishing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nina posted:

Enable network while in rest mode from the settings and you can dl while in rest mode

I had that enabled, but maybe I didn't leave it long enough. The account that bought it doesn't have PS+, but the one I'm logged in as does -- could that keep it from DLing in rest?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
We're in the moooney. We're in the moooney.

Subjunctive posted:

I had that enabled, but maybe I didn't leave it long enough. The account that bought it doesn't have PS+, but the one I'm logged in as does -- could that keep it from DLing in rest?

PS+ shouldn't affect that kind of thing so no idea why it wouldn't work

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nina posted:

PS+ shouldn't affect that kind of thing so no idea why it wouldn't work

The settings screen said something about it downloading app updates in rest mode if I had PS+:

E: self-dox

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 9, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

air- posted:

So comparing guides on endgame weapons and found out a couple of them can be picked up the open world. Kinda I wonder if they're available early game...

Dominator (2nd best greatsword) is north of Alstor Slough, there is a trail north of the parking spot and follow it northwest. There's a fenced area with a few buildings and look for the red blip on the ground.

Hyper Magnum (2nd best firearm) is near Fort Vallaurey. It's towards the northeast chain link fence but west of the thick wall near the road.

They are not.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Yodzilla posted:

I mean, one of the documents you find in the nightmare of chapter 13 indicates the empire is doing experiments with human cloning on top of naughty MT experiments. Pure speculation is that maybe Fatprompto got killed off screen for some reason and Newprompto is the result of a genetic clone mixed with MT mad-scientist-isms to create MT soldiers/daemons that could operate without the sunlight-blocking-armor.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
e: ^^ you'd think that'd bother people more but v:v:v

Is it just my setup or is it nearly impossible to hear dialog in some of the cutscenes and sequences over blaring music and sound effects? It's been an issue before but I have no idea what was said during the crystal scene.

Also god dammit is it too much too ask that a protagonist not turn out to be literally Jesus.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 9, 2016

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Guys, Gentiana randomly popping up in the background of my photos like some camera-demon is the creepiest thing about this game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah. Am I being lead to the endgame at this point? This might be the shortest Final Fantasy they've ever made. (Yes, I know the majority of the game is sidequests.)

I do most of the side-quests and hunts, so for me it's probably the longest single-player FF game. But more importantly, it's fun, makes me want to play.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PoshAlligator posted:

Absolutely. For all its own delays Persona 5 is super, mega refined in just about everything its sets out to do. Makes it extra disappointing that FFXV couldn't really pull a cohesive experience out of its bags.

Other than not having enough cutscenes for some people's taste, what isn't cohesive about the experience? It's a game you can get immersed in and enjoy if it's up your alley, like anything else. For Persona, I'm not interested in a high school simulator or visual novel drama/romance aspects, so it's not up my alley (it seems). Also looking at vids, Persona 5's combat looks less enjoyable than FF XV for me. But I appreciate that the game has a bunch of weirdness/stylization.

edit: didn't think this would be a double post, the thread had a "freeze" spell put on it

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 10, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm sure in this gargantuan thread it's been asked a bunch, so I am sorry if I am rehashing...

I am still early on. Going slow (borderline stopped) because I'm waiting for the patch or whatever... (and busy)

Anyway, I know how to use the little magic stuff I concoct... but I'm curious... how do the big summon-y magic things work. I'm a ways off from encountering it, I'm sure... but I was just curious how it works so I can try to do it well/not miss out.
Thanks!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

Guys, Gentiana randomly popping up in the background of my photos like some camera-demon is the creepiest thing about this game.

I heard the guys mention this once but she was nowhere to be seen?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Feenix posted:

I'm sure in this gargantuan thread it's been asked a bunch, so I am sorry if I am rehashing...

I am still early on. Going slow (borderline stopped) because I'm waiting for the patch or whatever... (and busy)

Anyway, I know how to use the little magic stuff I concoct... but I'm curious... how do the big summon-y magic things work. I'm a ways off from encountering it, I'm sure... but I was just curious how it works so I can try to do it well/not miss out.
Thanks!

You can't perform summons at will. You'll get a prompt during battle once they're available and all you have to do is hold a button down for a few seconds until it activates. You'll know it's time to summon when the screen darkens, some particle effects occur, and the music changes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tae posted:

Dragon Quest anything outsells both Persona and FF in Japan (even Dragon Quest Musou basically outsold P5 in its first week) so you can't really say sales as an indicator of quality

It's all personal taste so indeed sales don't indicate quality, but Dragon Quest is cool in my book. DQ VIII is better than most FF games for me, and I'll take DQ 4 over FF 4. Really high hopes for DQ XI.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Deified Data posted:

I heard the guys mention this once but she was nowhere to be seen?

Yeah, when I got the trophy for it I couldn't see her. She'll show up again.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Anyone got a list of good side-quests that have actual funny dialogue or interesting steps beyond "go here and kill this/get this."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Terper posted:

It will no doubt be given more highlight in the DLC, but he's not necessarily some sorta MT, but he's the son of Verstael, the top researcher in Niflheim, so he probably had some experiments done on him when he was a kid.

You know who else was an artificial military being with spiky yellow hair who got subjected to magic experimentation in a place called Niflheim?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kiranamos posted:

Anyone got a list of good side-quests that have actual funny dialogue or interesting steps beyond "go here and kill this/get this."

In the classics you walk five feet on a simple overworld and do random battles over and over, what are you looking for? Do you not enjoy going places and killing things?

I love Mass Effect 2 as much as the next guy, just I think exploring/killing is the meat and potatoes of the classic JRPG genre.

(any excuse to ride your chocobos is cool too)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 10, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

There's supposed to be a fishing spot south of Cauthess Rest Area, The Archaean's Mirror, but I can't find it. If anyone's got it, could you post a pic of your map?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Question about the final battle. Who are the four dead people hung up in the throne room? I think they're Luna, Regis, the Emperor, and someone else. Is it Jared? Cause that would be appropriate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Man, all in all the saddest death in the game is pretty clearly the Regalia.

:smith:

FAUXTON posted:

You know who else was an artificial military being with spiky yellow hair who got subjected to magic experimentation in a place called Niflheim?

:prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Boy is that fight with Ravus bad. Your bros have no self preservation so they get hit with every one of his AOE attacks which means Prompto goes down immediately. Also for some reason I couldn't use any of Ignis's techniques and Gladio just...disappeared for most of the fight? He literally just vanished but was still alive and then popped back into existence at the end. Since Ignis's abilities were locked out all I could do was hit him with my sword while he did a really bad, really easy Artorias of the Abyss impersonation.

Heavy Metal posted:

Other than not having enough cutscenes for some people's taste, what isn't cohesive about the experience?

It's just a wreck for reasons stated multiple times. I'm not going to take away your enjoyment of the FFXV story but for me personally it's one of the worst narratives I've seen in a big budget game in a long time. This is a shame because now that I know who and what the big bad actually is there COULD have been a really loving cool story there. I also really like how the summons has no regard for people and are kind of just rear end in a top hat gods.

Kiranamos posted:

Here you go:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man, all in all the saddest death in the game is pretty clearly the Regalia.

:smith:

Agreed. It's the first time I've felt anything in this game.

• Locked thread