Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This reminds me of the idiot enlisting as a nuke in the navy thread a few weeks ago. Dumbasses gon do what they gon' do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Infantry Grunt poo poo options:

-Operation forever-war in the middle east
-Operation nebulous forever-war in Africa/Asia
-Operation fighting RU-supported forces in Europe, wherein light infantry are doing a combination of fire fights, getting hit by arty, or hanging out in or near Strykers thinking about how poo poo it is that Strykers have machine guns and can resist small arms, but universally face enemy IFVs that feature cannons/missiles and can withstand .50 cal.
-Operation DPRK/ROK clusterfuck, wherein light infantry either die or have a real miserable time, but maybe you get to feel like a cool grunt and get a medal I guess
-Operation Deep Drop, wherein you rapidly airdrop extremely far and it seems really cool, and then you move at like 2.5 mph from there on while mech forces scream past, lol airborne.

More likely:

Operation deterrence/stability ops where it's good that thousands aren't dying, but it's a real crapshoot as far as personal enjoyment/empowerment.
Operation Garrison Cleanup and Property Clean Sweep.

I mean, poo poo, I'm in the Army. I could've quit. So I'm not trying to just poo poo on the Army. But someone your age having such an odd idea of infantry and military life is a real red flag to me. Idealistic teens sometimes hate life, sometimes enjoy it well enough, other times have a love/hate and move on successfully or decide to leave or stay or whatever. But I was always real careful about those who joined late, but still had that moto rah rah mentality, because either they were about to get an overdose of disillusionment, were fuckin' nuts, or in like 1 case out of 20 were going to be really good.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

14 year NCO here, gonna give you some advice:

:words:

Posting ITT and getting smoked for being a naive shithead is worth it because I got to read this. Thank you. I needed to hear all this. Ran this by a vet here I respected and had a decent talk about it.

I still want this poo poo but I apparently need to think it over alot more. Nothing of what you said surprised me, I expected to be signing up for a loving miserable gig but uhh, it wasn't real to me until I read the words. Because honestly my service didn't consist of anything close to that. I dealt with bullshit, I seen hypocritical poo poo, but I dealt with people. I never physically suffered day in day out then dealt with bullshit on top.

I'm gonna go and gently caress off from this thread again but looks like I got some work and soul searching to do. I want to do it this right and I obv need to get my mind right first.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2017

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I also thought about trying to re-enlist but I got a job where I can 90% of what I wanted to do in the army with far better benefits and less bullshit. You’d be a fool to go back now.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Viva Miriya posted:

This is me being super super honest here but this is how I've gotten it figured.

I want to do the job of the infantryman; I want to be a fighter. I wanna to protect the people of my country. I want to destroy the enemies of my country. I want to live an honorable life and I don't want to die having lived an easy, safe life, when I know I can do more.

That's as simple as it gets and this is despite talking to other vets around me, reading up on stuff, and reading up on you guys talk about your experiences. I'm drawn to this poo poo like a moth to the light.

gently caress you

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fat Twitter Man posted:

gently caress you

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Atleast I dont have to worry about leave dates and plane tickets and pissing hot after I come back from block leave drat well knowing a UA is going to happen.

How I never got caught was sheer luck. I think theres like 2 old rear end posts of me asking about how long do UA results take to come back. I think about myself now and then and its two different people.

I was so stupid but so lucky. Trying to be pos...positive...whatever that means

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

all apologies posted:

Trying to be pos...positive...whatever that means

It means you have a disease

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
My hot take: mustang’s spirit finally broke the other week when his leave got denied and the Kool-Aid Ghost found a new victim to possess.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Viva Miriya posted:

Posting ITT and getting smoked for being a naive shithead is worth it because I got to read this. Thank you. I needed to hear all this. Ran this by a vet here I respected and had a decent talk about it.

I still want this poo poo but I apparently need to think it over alot more. Nothing of what you said surprised me, I expected to be signing up for a loving miserable gig but uhh, it wasn't real to me until I read the words. Because honestly my service didn't consist of anything close to that. I dealt with bullshit, I seen hypocritical poo poo, but I dealt with people. I never physically suffered day in day out then dealt with bullshit on top.

I'm gonna go and gently caress off from this thread again but looks like I got some work and soul searching to do. I want to do it this right and I obv need to get my mind right first.

Late to the party, But old-as-balls enlisted with prior service: Trust me I went in WITHOUT your "Imma serve"- ideology knowing theres a lot of dumb poo poo. US Army still managed to one-up me by making everything the dumbest, most inefficient and least personnel-friendly way. So expect to spend a shitton of time away from loved ones listening to your CO straight up lie to you about how they care about you and your family, doing hours on hours of busywork that has no purpose and slowly lose your mental and physical health in ways that could be avoided if it wasnt for the Army. Also, gently caress the word "Excellence", only thing the Army excells at is wasting resources.

TL;DR dont do it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Valtonen posted:

listening to your CO straight up lie to you about how they care about you and your family

I loled in real life

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The fire Department I did clinical ride alongs was about as close to being in a military type framework that I could speak of.

Except their life didn't suck, because after 48 hours of doing their actual job, bullshit tasks *like looking at solar panel cut off switches for 2 hours* and training, they went home, and didn't have to come back for 4 days.

But who am I to say anything, I tried to be a marine officer and was sent home because of a hosed up shoulder so I'm just as dumb as he is....Or less because I wanted to join the reserves.

I think that makes me even more stupid.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
Since you asked, this is a day in the life of a PL in garrison (not deployed, not training in the field). This is not the worst day or the best, but here’s what it usually looks like.

4:30 AM: wake up stupid early because living anywhere around post is a Bad Idea so your commute is pretty long and since you’re a leader you better be first to arrive.
5:45 AM: morning huddle which means the first sergeant bitches for ten minutes about getting everyone green on MEDPROS and the commander gives out details for poo poo battalion put out last minute (think random simulator reservations or maybe you got tasked for a parade or have to write an order).
6:00 to 7:30 AM: PT with your platoon which is usually running in circles or if your cool squad leader is in charge today a decent circuit workout.
7:30 to 9:00 AM: usually shower and have breakfast with your girl but whoops that last minute task is actually due at BN at 11:00 so the commander needs it at 9:00 so you’re typing away in sweaty workout clothes.
9:00 AM to Noon: run around the motor pool and try to figure out why that part you ordered a month ago still isn’t in. Catch a private sleeping under a truck and tell his team leader to wake his rear end up.
Noon to 1:00 PM: when you first start you’ll have lunch with your PSG or maybe eat at your desk. Hopefully you make friends over time and this is your time you all can bitch together.
1:00 to COB: gently caress around in PowerPoint and try to make a decent CONOP for an upcoming training rotation. Let your PSG train the dudes on whatever he feels like. Maybe your commander decides 4:30 is the perfect time for a training meeting. Then you go home, hopefully around 5, sometimes later, sometimes earlier.

Toss in a midnight call for a soldier doing something stupid, some field time, maybe a deployment.

Sorry for triggering the O’s.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Since you asked, this is a day in the life of a PL in garrison (not deployed, not training in the field). This is not the worst day or the best, but here’s what it usually looks like.

4:30 AM: wake up stupid early because living anywhere around post is a Bad Idea so your commute is pretty long and since you’re a leader you better be first to arrive.
5:45 AM: morning huddle which means the first sergeant bitches for ten minutes about getting everyone green on MEDPROS and the commander gives out details for poo poo battalion put out last minute (think random simulator reservations or maybe you got tasked for a parade or have to write an order).
6:00 to 7:30 AM: PT with your platoon which is usually running in circles or if your cool squad leader is in charge today a decent circuit workout.
7:30 to 9:00 AM: usually shower and have breakfast with your girl but whoops that last minute task is actually due at BN at 11:00 so the commander needs it at 9:00 so you’re typing away in sweaty workout clothes.
9:00 AM to Noon: run around the motor pool and try to figure out why that part you ordered a month ago still isn’t in. Catch a private sleeping under a truck and tell his team leader to wake his rear end up.
Noon to 1:00 PM: when you first start you’ll have lunch with your PSG or maybe eat at your desk. Hopefully you make friends over time and this is your time you all can bitch together.
1:00 to COB: gently caress around in PowerPoint and try to make a decent CONOP for an upcoming training rotation. Let your PSG train the dudes on whatever he feels like. Maybe your commander decides 4:30 is the perfect time for a training meeting. Then you go home, hopefully around 5, sometimes later, sometimes earlier.

Toss in a midnight call for a soldier doing something stupid, some field time, maybe a deployment.

Sorry for triggering the O’s.

This honestly makes being a PL sound like less work than I recall.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

This honestly makes being a PL sound like less work than I recall.

I didn’t say I was a good PL.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

SHIM GET IN HERE

This is goddamn beautiful I’m only caught up to this post, I’m waiting for more. I just know it’s gonna get worse before it gets really bad.

loving lol.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Jesus gently caress.

Ok so if you do pop back in, please just don’t. Get a GS Job if you have to scratch that itch.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
POWERPOINT, HOOAH

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Shamelessly stolen from Facebook:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So I’ve been in the mountains around Trento, Italy, doing summadat grunt poo poo for a week now. It’s cold as gently caress and no tents but I’ve shot a poo poo ton, and I’ve gotten to hang out with hella baller Italian SF lieutenant colonel and sergeant major doing summadat grunt poo poo.

I’m an old enlistee, and I’m probably a loving terrible example but I like this a lot. The views are fukken awesome too. I smell like literal poop and my shoulders hurt though.

Aight dog pile me.
My wife already thinks I am retarded.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vahakyla posted:

So I’ve been in the mountains around Trento, Italy, doing summadat grunt poo poo for a week now. It’s cold as gently caress and no tents but I’ve shot a poo poo ton, and I’ve gotten to hang out with hella baller Italian SF lieutenant colonel and sergeant major doing summadat grunt poo poo.

I’m an old enlistee, and I’m probably a loving terrible example but I like this a lot. The views are fukken awesome too. I smell like literal poop and my shoulders hurt though.

Aight dog pile me.
My wife already thinks
I am retarded.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
And dont listen to vaha, he is in one-of-a-million unicorn unit and had to literally beg his branch to send him there- a nice itty bitty detail he omits. For Every nice picture of alps he has the rest of the army sees the swamp of JRTC or the shithole that is NTC.

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
i've been in the army for 4 years now and it's super gay. welp, off i go to PT

dstyle fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 16, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Scratching my vet beard and ripping rear end into my couch rn

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

Aight dog pile me.
My wife already thinks I am retarded.

gently caress you

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lmao okay dude keep bragging about how nice it is. It will all go to poo poo soon enough.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Hi, I'd like to talk to you about the Other End of the Spectrum. Can I have a moment of your time?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Enjoy it dude. I hope it doesn’t go to poo poo for you because I don’t have crab mentality like I did when I was still in!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

Hi, I'd like to talk to you about the Other End of the Spectrum. Can I have a moment of your time?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just as Mustang has fallen, so shall you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soulex posted:

Just as Mustang has fallen, so shall you.

Fallin'? :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgsdexkv18

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Even the guard sucks. My unit is trying to move our AT from June to February. Not to do anything different, they just want it moved up. Only five of us were going to be in school in their informal poll, so it's likely they're gonna say "gently caress you" and do it anyway. I'm sure this won't be finalized until January after the semester starts too.

Oh and my cousin just got weenied, he and 9 other guys got put in a unit 3 hours away that needed some fills from their mos branch. They're deploying early next year. Surprise!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I was told to back my stuff on my laptop on to a DVD because I’m getting a new laptop to replace my old rear end one.

The new one doesn’t have a disk drive. So I have to acquire an external disk drive, have S6 do some kind of driver magic, and then never unplug it afterward because something bad will happen.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I'mma let you in on a secret: S6 doesn't know anything about computers.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
What you need to do is go hunt down some 35Ts.

They're not going to help you in any way, but it'll give you something to do.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
35Ts are unicorns and watching units fight over them is hilarious.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

35Ts are unicorns and watching units fight over them is hilarious.

Is this the mos I should push my son towards? He's going in for the minimum, and I've been trying to think of what mos is going to set him up for success in the civilian world.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

Is this the mos I should push my son towards? He's going in for the minimum, and I've been trying to think of what mos is going to set him up for success in the civilian world.

Do you not like your son?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Probably the one with a big bonus and low death rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

You get a ton of training on technical stuff and a TS/SCI, downsides the AIT is like a year long. We've got at least one recently former 35T floating around GiP that I'm sure can shed more light on things. Where are 35Ts unicorns? Even a BCT MICO has several of them.