Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Volkerball posted:

Also about an hour and a half away from it being the one year anniversary of the chemical weapons attack in Ghouta. Here's the start of that madness.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390388&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1110

I've spent a year piecing together details on the attack, I'm working on a post for the anniversary at the moment, bringing together lots of details and arguments from the last year.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Oh man - I remember that day. I was expecting some sort of urban charnel house like Stalingrad (only with modern weapons involved). Instead the city was largely retaken when I was out to dinner with my family. I remember because I was reading the thread from a hotel room when on vacation.
Looks like I said at the time "At least this should all be over before my wife gives birth." She gave birth to my daughter the day before Gaddafi was killed, so that was an accurate prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The NYPost just tweeted the front cover, which is the exact moment James Foley started having his throat cut.

Also looks like Assad is celebrating the 1 year anniversery of the Sarin attack by doing another chemical attack in the same area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YsnCRZLdOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptm06NEmUrw

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 20, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

The NYPost just tweeted the front cover, which is the exact moment James Foley started having his throat cut.

Yeah I saw NYP and Daily News both with a similar cover and some variant on the word 'Savage' this morning. SMH.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Stay classy NY Post.

In other news, it appears the White House is considering putting additional troops into Iraq, which is what I figured would happen once you open that Pandora's Box again.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

McDowell posted:

Yeah I saw NYP and Daily News both with a similar cover and some variant on the word 'Savage' this morning. SMH.

Everyone's getting pumped for a fight that no one's gonna win.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

McDowell posted:

Never stop being tabloid shitlords, NYP.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It was a murder with the intent of provoking a response, Obama's approach in not taking the bait was the correct one.

Saying that you are not going to be intimidated and are going to continue to do what you have already been doing is not taking the bait. Obama did say that the US was going to be relentless, I guess that is good.

If the president was attempting to not give IS the satisfaction he should have remained silent.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

loving cartoon villain. Does that look like chlorine symptoms to you? Most I've seen of the barrel bombs were people crying in agony. This reminds me more of the sarin from the 8/21 attack.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

In other news, it appears the White House is considering putting additional troops into Iraq, which is what I figured would happen once you open that Pandora's Box again.

In what context? I mean, Obama has said there will definitely be no troops in 'combat' roles so many times that apart from anything else the GOP would have an absolute field day if he did send some.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torpor posted:

If the president was attempting to not give IS the satisfaction he should have remained silent.

I don't think you "get" what happens to the people in the United States when an American citizen is killed by a not American citizen.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Volkerball posted:

loving cartoon villain. Does that look like chlorine symptoms to you? Most I've seen of the barrel bombs were people crying in agony. This reminds me more of the sarin from the 8/21 attack.

Doesn't look like chlorine, and those attacks have been limited to areas in Idlib and Hama, so I'm guessing this is something else.

Worst thing about the NYPost cover is if you've seen the video you'll immediately recall the sawing noise that accompanied that image.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Brown Moses posted:

Also looks like Assad is celebrating the 1 year anniversery of the Sarin attack by doing another chemical attack in the same area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YsnCRZLdOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptm06NEmUrw

Do you have more details on these?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

Do you have more details on these?

Digging around, just trying to finish an article for Bellingcat on August 21st at the moment, been a big 24 hours for delays in that regard.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My mom just called me to warn me not to watch the decapitation video, haha.

Sorry, I'm way ahead of you there!!

:smith:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

JT Jag posted:

My mom just called me to warn me not to watch the decapitation video, haha.

Sorry, I'm way ahead of you there!!

:smith:

I was going to, but I got to the ISIS message just before and couldn't do it.

Nick Berg was bad enough back in the day, and it was pixelated as gently caress.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Whoops watched the video

I'm mad and sad

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Whoops watched the video

I'm mad and sad

I promised myself about a decade ago that I wasn't going to watch anything like that ever again. I've stuck with that promise and I've never regretted it.
Just reading what people are saying about it is enough to make my skin crawl. That is the kind of poo poo you never forget seeing. No thank you.

LeeMajors posted:

I was going to, but I got to the ISIS message just before and couldn't do it.

Nick Berg was bad enough back in the day, and it was pixelated as gently caress.

That, and I believe the Russian soldier video.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats the deal with beheading anyway? Is it an Islamic thing? Is it also 'tradition' to do it with a small-ish knife? As opposed to big heavy knife on a block?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats the deal with beheading anyway? Is it an Islamic thing? Is it also 'tradition' to do it with a small-ish knife? As opposed to big heavy knife on a block?

I don't think so...

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Well it's certainly not only an Islamic thing. I would argue that head chopping has had a universal appeal through many cultures. If you're asking about 21st century head chopping I think calling it traditional would also be a stretch seeing as these dudes are distinctly more brutal than their ascendants.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pohl posted:

I promised myself about a decade ago that I wasn't going to watch anything like that ever again. I've stuck with that promise and I've never regretted it.
Just reading what people are saying about it is enough to make my skin crawl. That is the kind of poo poo you never forget seeing. No thank you.

I haven't seen it because I'm not purposely trying to track it down, but the massacres footage is always the worst. Zamalka was one I'll never forget. And that little girl in the backseat of a car. :smith:

Edit: and that one with that guys jaw all blown up. That was when people were still just protesting and it was the defining moment that poo poo was real and Syria was different.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 20, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

LeeMajors posted:

I don't think so...

See my comment about small knife. Every culture has its antiquated execution methods. I'm just asking if this has anything bearing on history.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...i0QuMCqUmkQg-cg

Take a look at that for a quick history of celtiberian ritual beheadings. They were done to separate the soul from the body as a ritual sacrifice. I believe the specific knife used is more a berber custom.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LeeMajors posted:

I don't think so...

The guillotine was invented to make execution more humane, as it was then thought that it'd kill instantly and therefore as painlessly as possible; whereas decapitation with axe or sword were often botched, hanging often led to slow suffocation, and other execution methods were lethal torture designed to be gruesomely painful.

By contrast, ISIS use a small knife.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

What I'd be interested in hearing from Brown Moses is whether the rate if cruxifictions has gone down while beheadings have gone up. Cruxifiction requires one to hold territory and be secure in the knowledge that the locals won't free the condemned. Beheading is a fairly rapid act which saves on limited resources.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

What I'd be interested in hearing from Brown Moses is whether the rate if cruxifictions has gone down while beheadings have gone up. Cruxifiction requires one to hold territory and be secure in the knowledge that the locals won't free the condemned. Beheading is a fairly rapid act which saves on limited resources.

They don't string people up alive. They kill them and then "crucify" the body. It's basically just tying up the dead as a public display.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Cat Mattress posted:

The guillotine was invented to make execution more humane, as it was then thought that it'd kill instantly and therefore as painlessly as possible; whereas decapitation with axe or sword were often botched, hanging often led to slow suffocation, and other execution methods were lethal torture designed to be gruesomely painful.

He initially asked if beheading was an islamic thing. Small knife question came later.

I always thought it was just to make it more awful.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Volkerball posted:

They don't string people up alive. They kill them and then "crucify" the body. It's basically just tying up the dead as a public display.

At least, don't string them up alive and leave them until they die. There was that kid they "crucified" for a few hours in Raqqa for breaking the fast during Ramadan.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So its obvious that beheadings are enough of a common thing in the ME and state practiced. What I really want to know is if there's a tradition way about it. By strict sharia standards aren't there only a handful of crimes that are punishable by beheading? I didn't watch the video. Did they read out a sentence that was in accordance to Sharia? Not that it matters but purely for a technical bad-guy consistency nitpick.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I thought the state beheadings were done by scimitar and such.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

The New Black posted:

In what context? I mean, Obama has said there will definitely be no troops in 'combat' roles so many times that apart from anything else the GOP would have an absolute field day if he did send some.

Obama should probably stop ruling out options in advance if he wants to play war.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the beheading video was not really as bad as ISIS other beheading videos. For whatever reason they fade to black almost immediately as they cut the poor guys throat

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Brown Moses

Yesterday shortly before the Foley video broke you retweeted reports about 18 Americans held by ISIS. Was there any follow up or were those reports discredited?

Thanks

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Count Roland posted:

I really wonder what is going on with the US regarding Saudi Arabia and Iran. Since last summer's gas attack in Syria and the lack of airstrikes, followed shortly after by a real opening in negotiations between Iran and the US (revealing they'd been talking in secret for some time), the Saudis have been pissed. Events in Iraq serve to drive the US and Iran closer together, to the further chagrin of the Saudis.

Does the US really intend to drop its long-time allies in favour of Iran? It seems impossible, given the decades of co-operation. And yet Saudi bitching has so far been impotent, while negotiations with Iran continue.

If anyone has thoughts on this issue I'd be interested. One interesting change is that fracking has made the US virtually energy independent, which makes it a lot easier to give the finger to the Saudis if that's what it comes down to.

Its time to let religious revolutionary fervor run over Saudi Arabia and over throw the middle ages family who name the country after them.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I can see wanting to watch the random acts of violence clips out of morbid curiosity (I'll freely admit to it), but why watch a video like the Foley one where you know exactly what happens unless it's your job?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Holy hell this whole region of the world is just completely hosed up, and this Foley news further drives that home. The saddest part is that you can't point at any single group and say "these are the bad guys"; it's just a lot of people with their own views on what is right and wrong, and they're all just trying to get by.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

Brown Moses

Yesterday shortly before the Foley video broke you retweeted reports about 18 Americans held by ISIS. Was there any follow up or were those reports discredited?

Thanks

I think it was descredited, the Foley video was being used to claim they were captured pilots, but it became clear they weren't.

I've just put together my August 21st anniversary piece, Attempts to Blame the Syrian Opposition for the August 21st Sarin Attacks Continue One Year On, which addresses some of the points made in the Ted Postol document.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

redscare posted:

I can see wanting to watch the random acts of violence clips out of morbid curiosity (I'll freely admit to it), but why watch a video like the Foley one where you know exactly what happens unless it's your job?

morbid curiosity?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redscare posted:

I used to know people who watched ever more disturbing stuff just to 'one-up' the other, which was pretty dumb. Personally I have no interest in seeing it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I watch these kinds of videos from time to time because I feel it's necessary that I see how disgusting the world can be. It makes someone more prone to doing something to help fix our world.

• Locked thread