Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kazy posted:

Wait, aren't those the rejected Generations uniforms?

Not identical, but close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

never knew they considered zachary quinto for nemesis poo poo would have been different

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

or like... apocalypse. one of those two

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lost my old email posted:

never knew they considered zachary quinto for nemesis poo poo would have been different

Nothing could have saved Nemesis, not as long as John Logan was writing it and had the no-rewrite clause in his contract.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

davidspackage posted:

I think it takes a very long time for movie and TV makers to pick up on that.
I think these budgetary and high-end creative decisions are being made by a couple of hundred wealthy, comfortable people, largely white, mostly men, living in the general area of Los Angeles. They control, if you will, the means of direction and production. These people make decisions based on their assessment of this marketplace -- and it is a marketplace, here -- but their attitudes and decisions also shape that marketplace.

There is optimistic material out there... I would not be surprised to see more, but I do not think it is, at the moment, in the "market segment" (much as I hate to call it that) that Star Trek now occupies. Star Trek was in the first place a barrier-busting breakout hit. They didn't plan for people to be starting Star Trek fan shops in New York City, but they ended up doing that.

The real trick is to do a lot of new things, which I think they could do in the context of Trek, and quite easily. But that would involve risk, and I do think there is a lot less appetite for risk in something like a science-fiction TV show nowadays than there was in the 60s.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
It's hard not to judge the lower decks show on the quality of the stills. It looks like every other 'well produced Newgrounds flash animation' look that was everywhere throughout since the early 2000s and seems almost impossible nowadays to make anything 2d animated otherwise, due to the costs of doing traditional non tweened animations. Exceptions are things like disenchanted or venture brothers - but I expect they are very high budget with long turnarounds.

But I won't pass judgement just yet. I felt the same way about Bojack Horseman when I first saw it, and have forgotten it entirely as I love the characters and story. Rick and Morty, regardless of the bland character designs has some incredible art design and inventive background art and environments.

I suspect they'll run into the same issue that Orville had in finding a tone between a joke a minute referential comedy against a more typical drama / sci fi backdrop.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Star Trek: Discovery, the television programme where in both seasons so far, our heroes have defeated fascism, which was shown to be both worse and weaker than the Federation’s utopian values, is an optimistic show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kazy posted:

Wait, aren't those the rejected Generations uniforms?

I think they look good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SlothfulCobra posted:

From what I can tell, CGI is real expensive, and it takes a long while for economies of scale to cancel out the expense with asset reuse. And with the standard planet-a-day plot of Star Trek, they'll basically never get those economies of scale going so long as they need to keep making new things.

Keep in mind that CGI is used in even your bog standard procedurals now (granted, usually for set enhancement rather than 'people'.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK1p3sRSmH0

The best use for something like Trek would be CGI enhanced prosthetics (which, the Orville has used for great effect.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sduy3O--8Mw

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Both Orville and Disco have done better with non-forehead aliens than the old shows but it's still going to be a lot easier to do truly weird ones in a cartoon than live action. I am also hoping they take advantage of that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"truly weird" ones would be a real challenge depending on just how weird you want to go.

I just finished a novel in which humanity is conquered by aliens twice, once by what are essentially a fish-based hive mind, and once by aliens whose biology was based on turbulent convection cells on their ocean planet, for example.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just finished a novel in which humanity is conquered by aliens twice, once by what are essentially a fish-based hive mind, and once by aliens whose biology was based on turbulent convection cells on their ocean planet, for example.

And they're all arseholes.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Isometric Bacon posted:

It's hard not to judge the lower decks show on the quality of the stills. It looks like every other 'well produced Newgrounds flash animation' look that was everywhere throughout since the early 2000s and seems almost impossible nowadays to make anything 2d animated otherwise, due to the costs of doing traditional non tweened animations. Exceptions are things like disenchanted or venture brothers - but I expect they are very high budget with long turnarounds.

But I won't pass judgement just yet. I felt the same way about Bojack Horseman when I first saw it

But bojack horseman doesn't look anything like that, and neither does any other popular show these days. We're in a very good time for animation, characters actually have body language now, every show has a distinct stylisation. It's mostly animated on twos, but so loving what?

This new trek cartoon is absolutely bottom of the barrel looking poo poo. cad animated series level work, by people who don't care, aren't interested in the medium and put nothing into it. They might as well just go full filmation and keep reusing a bunch of rotoscopes over and over again forever.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 25, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HorseLord posted:

But bojack horseman doesn't look anything like that, and neither does any other popular show these days. We're in a very good time for animation, characters actually have body language now, every show has a distinct stylisation. It's mostly animated on twos, but so loving what?

This new trek cartoon is absolutely bottom of the barrel looking poo poo. cad animated series level work, by people who don't care, aren't interested in the medium and put nothing into it. They might as well just go full filmation and keep reusing a bunch of rotoscopes over and over again forever.

Unless I am mistaken, only a handfull of still images have been released and you have no goddamn idea what the animation is like, what the effort level is like, and are talking out your rear end

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Unless I am mistaken, only a handfull of still images have been released and you have no goddamn idea what the animation is like, what the effort level is like, and are talking out your rear end

lmao

Yeah, sure, have fun hoping for animation that can make lovely designs look good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TAS could be pretty cool despite it's lovely animation so even if you accept the premise that this new cartoon will look like crap in motion that's still not even necessarily a deal breaker

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

And they're all arseholes.

Yeah they're pretty brutal (the convection-cell aliens keep humans under their thumb by a) cutting off all access to life-extending technology, b) dismantling literally every spacecraft/space station built by humans and c) destroying all of humanity's historical records/monuments/ruins/etc. so that by the time humanity finally overthrows them, the literal entirety of human history >100 years in the past is a complete unknown).

e: honestly more than anything, the total erasure of humanity's history is an interesting and terrifying concept. Imagine if we had absolutely zero knowledge, records, or even wild guesses at literally anything that happened on earth before 1900.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

lmao

Yeah, sure, have fun hoping for animation that can make lovely designs look good.

I think the designs are good. Simple, colorful, expressive (this last one relies on good animation, obviously)

I've said before that design is subjective, and even as a big fan of animation there is some I can't get past. I get if you just don't like the style, but that wasn't the argument and you (should) know it.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

all the new star treks will be good i still believe in magic

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I think the designs are good. Simple, colorful, expressive (this last one relies on good animation, obviously)

I've said before that design is subjective, and even as a big fan of animation there is some I can't get past. I get if you just don't like the style, but that wasn't the argument and you (should) know it.

Taste is subjective, but designs can be objectively more or less lazy than others.

Like, you can't compare a Ghibli movie (for instance) and CAD the animated series (for another instance) and say that it's subjective which one has better designs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Taste is subjective, but designs can be objectively more or less lazy than others.

Like, you can't compare a Ghibli movie (for instance) and CAD the animated series (for another instance) and say that it's subjective which one has better designs.

True, but I don't think this case fits that paradigm. This feels more like bright colorful Mario vs technically superior nine thousand shades of brown billion polygon games that all look forgettably identical. Intentional art direction choices rather than effort level or ability.

It's the animation, voice acting, and most especially the writing that will determine whether the show is worth watching, though. It certainly looks good enough.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i am picking princess peach she has the hover jump

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

anime

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

you might say i have faith. faith of the

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

♫ it’s been a long road ... ♫

♫ gettin from there to here ♫

♫ It’s been a long time ... ♫

♫ but my time (😬) is finally near ♫

♫ I will see-e my dream comealiveatlast ♫

I will Touch the sky... ♫

♫ no they’re not gonna hold me down no mo ♫

♫ No, they’re not gonna change my mind ♫

♫ Cuz I’ve got FA-AITH ♫

♫ of the ha-a-eart ♫

♫ i’m GOINWHEREMY HART WILL TAKE ME ♫

♫ I’ve got faith .. ♫

♫ to believe— ♫

♫ I can do, Anything ♫

♫ I’ve got strength ♫

♫ of the so-o-oul ♫

♫ *really post 9/11-y country tone of voice* ‘n NO ONES GONNA BEND OR BREAK ME ♫

♫ I, can, reach, ♫

♫ anyst-a-a-r ♫

♫ I’VE got faith (I’VE got faith) ♫

♫ I’ve got faaaa-a-a-aith ♫

♫ faith of the Haaaa-A-a-aaaht ♫

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lots of trekkies believe in magic.

Unfortunately, that magic is usually in a young girl's heart...

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

Lots of trekkies believe in magic.

Unfortunately, that magic is usually in a young girl's heart...

ahhh poo poo that's no fun. that is upsetting

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

i am picking princess peach she has the hover jump

This is the correct choice. Always.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i only managed to finish mario 2 and yoshi's island i am not very good. not at video games at life i mean

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yoshi's Island is the best 2D Mario fight me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Yoshi's Island is the best 2D Mario fight me.

Yoshi's Island is the best 2D platformer period

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Both Orville and Disco have done better with non-forehead aliens than the old shows but it's still going to be a lot easier to do truly weird ones in a cartoon than live action. I am also hoping they take advantage of that.

The fact they're doing a Caitian is about as good as you're likely to get. And I'd be way more willing to give Orville props for the blob character if he wasn't just an excuse to have Norm MacDonald make pretty gross in 2019 jokes about sexual harassment.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

The fact they're doing a Caitian is about as good as you're likely to get. And I'd be way more willing to give Orville props for the blob character if he wasn't just an excuse to have Norm MacDonald make pretty gross in 2019 jokes about sexual harassment.

did you not used to have a cool venom av? with the tooth? who am i thinking of? gently caress it i will do it as a pm that can be exciting

edit'

you do not have pms (they are called dms in modern money)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

did you not used to have a cool venom av? with the tooth? who am i thinking of? gently caress it i will do it as a pm that can be exciting

edit'

you do not have pms (they are called dms in modern money)

You're thinking of Gavok I believe

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

you might say i have faith. faith of the

Whoa, you can italicize emoji?!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Whoa seconded, didn't notice the first time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

:wtc:

not all of em it seems?

:holy:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

not all of em it seems?

:holy:

Emjoi are just unicode letters like ↺ or ✩ or ⌘ which a browser maker has chosen to replace with a colourful depiction. 😬 is the 128556th letter of the alphabet. You can italicise that letter fine (although some browsers might not support showing it angled).

:wtc: or :holy: are images that the SA backend inserts when it sees you've typed : wtc :, they're not letters, so they can't be italicised.

But yeah, you can use whatever emoji you want on SA without lowtax needing to add it, it's just part of the alphabet. 🖖

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 26, 2019

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Emjoi are just unicode letters like ↺ or ✩ or ⌘ which a browser maker has chosen to replace with a colourful depiction. 😬 is the 128556th letter of the alphabet. You can italicise that letter fine (although some browsers might not support showing it angled).

:wtc: or :holy: are images that the SA backend inserts when it sees you've typed : wtc :, they're not letters, so they can't be italicised.

But yeah, you can use whatever emoji you want on SA without lowtax needing to add it, it's just part of the alphabet. 🖖

I learned something today.

After copying and pasting that into notepad to make sure I also learned that it is terrifying.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Neat, thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted: