Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

What in the holy christ did they change with faceoffs. I was lifetime 60% in VS. last year and in EASHL I am barely 30%. It is incredibly frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug

DaddyBigBucks posted:

What in the holy christ did they change with faceoffs. I was lifetime 60% in VS. last year and in EASHL I am barely 30%. It is incredibly frustrating.

They've mentioned that you'll be more successful at face-offs the sooner you pick and hold one specific stance. If you change too often or start your stance closer to the drop of the puck, you're probably handicapping yourself without realizing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It was supposed to work like that last year, too.

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

The Rev posted:

Aggression I might sometimes raise this to 70, it doesnt make hitting easier, or anything else useful that I have ever noticed.

A couple years ago a high aggression actually made it so that when you hit a player on the other team repeatedly, they would get "intimidated" -- they'd essentially get a penalty to all their effective stats in the game. If the other player also had high aggression, the penalty was less, and the penalty was reset during period intermissions or when someone on the team won a fight. It was why you'd sometimes run into those teams in club games where they always seemed to be beating you to pucks and your team would miss a lot of open shots on goal, passes would go awry, etc.

Who knows if they've changed that by now, though.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
They haven't - aggression is still really good.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
To each their own I suppose. Like I said, that post is my take on the attributes from what I have seen playing the game.

Last year I would typically play as a 6'5" 215 lb Defensive Dman with my former club who took their games way too serious (high elite level - not gloating - it was boring as hell). At one time most of us including myself capped out aggression with the same logic as stated above; with the lessening of stats due to skaters being afraid of you. Over numerous club matches though, against the same clubs many times, I noticed no real difference between capped, and bare minimum aggression. My hitting numbers stayed exactly the same, and I never noticed people getting slower/less accurate/worse in any way (other than natural endurance weakening) around me as I killed them over and over in the same game. We're talking 18-25 hits and 1-2 injuries dished out a game just from me, not to mention my 2 other teammates who were also physical.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Yeah not to toot my own horn or anything but I would say my skill level + experience is pretty high too. The club I play on is with friends who love hitting, and as a team that averaged 40 hits a game (check PANTHER on PS3 NHL 13 if you want to check) we valued aggression pretty highly. We didn't up it for intimidation or anything, but we all noticed that opposing players who we targeted would move noticeably slower, miss more shots, and randomly lose the puck (you remember how players would just lose the puck sometimes last year?) as the game would go on. That's not what we used aggression for however - the only reason we used it was because the frequency of 'big' hits would go up way more than if we only upped aggression (we really, really like to hit).

That was in club. In the 6v6 league I played in I used aggression to hold onto the puck better, and to better grab loose pucks. Most of the time I didn't bother hitting people because most players were too good at avoiding hits. I strongly believe though that aggression helps with both winning puck battles (like when you poke the puck at a bad angle and it stays on the other player's stick) and grabbing loose pucks.

I haven't played much this year. Kinda am losing interest in NHL. Have no idea if intimidation is even a thing anymore. With higher aggression though, I've noticed that 'locking on' to players happens more frequently with higher aggression. By locking on I mean when you go for a hit and the game seems to just direct your player perfectly so you destroy the opposing player. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about - if not, I don't know what to say. I still think aggression helps with what I've said before.

I certainly wouldn't fault ya if you neglected aggression in favour of, say, stick checking and def awareness (or faceoffs if you're a forward)*. But if anyone is interested in hitting, I would recommend upping your aggression along with body checking.

*I play mostly d this year and I don't hit at all - I just play positionally and am in charge of breakout passes and quarterbacking our offense. Anyway, my 2 cents. My experience seems the opposite of yours.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Back in NHL 12, the higher your Aggression, the more 'angry' reaction you would have while shown in the penalty box.

edit: among other effects.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Doctor Butts posted:

Back in NHL 12, the higher your Aggression, the more 'angry' reaction you would have while shown in the penalty box.

edit: among other effects.

It would be great if max aggression players would jump out of the box into the stands and start fighting those identical-looking fans whose animations haven't changed in a decade or so.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Faced my first totally stacked HUT team last night

The roster was pretty crazy. Gretzky, Stamkos, Kane, Gaborik, Toews, Subban... Roenick... it went on and on like that.

Funny thing is, the guy wasn't all that good. Can't imagine spending that much money on a team and not also being really great at the game.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Skizzzer posted:

*I play mostly d this year and I don't hit at all - I just play positionally and am in charge of breakout passes and quarterbacking our offense. Anyway, my 2 cents. My experience seems the opposite of yours.

How do you build something like that? I've realized that going for big hits might work for a winger, but for a D, I just get out of position Phaneuf style so I'm thinking of switching away from my Def-D. If you want a high mobility takeway/pass clogging/slot defending restart the rush kind of D, are you better suited with a Two-Way or an Off-D?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

How do you build something like that? I've realized that going for big hits might work for a winger, but for a D, I just get out of position Phaneuf style so I'm thinking of switching away from my Def-D. If you want a high mobility takeway/pass clogging/slot defending restart the rush kind of D, are you better suited with a Two-Way or an Off-D?

Well a lot of those things really depend on your personal skill - it's up to you to position yourself accordingly in the slot and find the open seam to your forwards, for example. Our RD is very, very good and he uses a DFD, 6"2 or something like that. DFD's are slow and cumbersome, but if you take down the height and weight a bit, than they can do just fine. On D, all you really need to contribute offensively is passing and slapshot (and handeye if you like one-timers), so the lower attribute caps DFD's get is not that bad.

Personally though, I use a TWD, and I think that's best suited for what you described. The OFD is basically a fourth forward. Your poke checks suck, and passes will go through you all the time. He would work on the right team, but most people don't use all 5 players on offense, so the tradeoff isn't worth it.

TWD's are great because the stick-checking and def awareness is cheap to bump up, and their athleticism attributes similarly so. My guy is 6"5, 225 lbs because I like the longer stick and the ability to hit when I need to. I focus on acceleration and agility and endurance. Endurance you want IMO at least 85 - it makes a big difference. I put a couple of points into strength too because it modifies your checking, balance, and shot power. Also, as a TWD, your athleticism and endurance are your biggest strengths - so abuse it! You can accelerate super quickly, so do so whenever you're in trouble. For example, if I have three forecheckers on me, no one to pass to, the boards are covered, and if I dump it the chances of it getting intercepted in the zone is high, then often I will speed burst 2-3 strides for some separation, slow down a bit (if you pass/shoot/deke while you speed burst, accuracy+consistency goes way down), then get it out.

On defense I focus on stick checking, def awareness, and aggression. I bump my discipline up to 75, and around the same for shot blocking. On offense, you get more points than the DFD, so I focus on shot power for slapshot, accuracy for wrist shot, passing (I get by with 75, good passing depends more on how well you aim, how smart you are with gauging the strength of your passes, etc), puck control, and hand-eye. I bump everything else up a bit too.

One last thing: if you decide to use my height and weight, be sure to play smart! Don't get caught, cause you won't be able to catch up. If you want more speed and mobility, make your guy a bit smaller. That'll give you more leeway in correcting your mistakes, but obviously there's a tradeoff. Play a couple of games, adjust one thing or two, play a couple more, adjust, etc, to figure out what works for you.

Hope that helps! :)

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/172246636

Dan Boyle, you are drunk.

Dream of Janney
Aug 25, 2013

Corsi Enthusiast
This is my first year really getting into HUT, and I have to ask, what's the recommended way to go about getting a solid team and earning pucks that doesn't involve spending tons of real money? Does such a method exist?

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Dream of Janney posted:

This is my first year really getting into HUT, and I have to ask, what's the recommended way to go about getting a solid team and earning pucks that doesn't involve spending tons of real money? Does such a method exist?

I think the auction house is the surest route to solvency.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Dream of Janney posted:

I dunno about you, but when I was building my team I had one decent goalie and one sucky goalie

I would alternate: play Online Season games with my decent goalie, and if I lost I'd put him as backup to rest. I would then play a Rookie cup game with my backup goalie and a roster filled with scrubs

You should be good enough to destroy the rookie cup teams and get 600-700 pucks per game. On the auction house you can buy tons of players rated over 80 for cheap.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
How popular is HUT? What's the player base like compared to versus?

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

triplexpac posted:

You should be good enough to destroy the rookie cup teams and get 600-700 pucks per game. On the auction house you can buy tons of players rated over 80 for cheap.

How much should I be spending for a guy rated 80? How much for a guy rated 85?

gman14msu fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 29, 2013

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

gman14msu posted:

How much should be spending for a guy rated 80? How much for a guy rated 85?

85's can really range from like 5000 to 15000, I've seen. Really depends on the name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they play for the Leafs, they're overpriced.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

If they play for the Leafs, they're overpriced.

The jokes write themselves. :haw:

So my question is, do the roster updates ever apply to stuff like Be A GM or is it only the online modes?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They do if you start a new one but they don't change in progress stuff.

With HUT, they change teams for traded players if they make a Team of the Week, but obviously don't change the originals.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
Is there seriously not a Turtle button in fights. I don't want my star players to get injured when they get dragged into a fight. If there isn't a turtle option I'm just going to disable fighting entirely in Be A GM because gently caress That Noise.

reach42 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 29, 2013

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
I'm a horrible newbie with this game and could really use some advice with basic controls.

Pokechecking is done with RB1 and pointing your right stick in the direction of the puck right? It seems so much more effective when used against me.

It seems like you can bodycheck with just running into the player with right stick, or pressing X, or RB1(or maybe it just feels like that because I'm spamming everything). Whats the most effective way, and how do other people seem to able to grab hold of my players and not get penalties?

Is there some quicker way to do a slapshot and moving your right stick down and then up? I never seem to get one of because the puck is always pokechecked away.

Whats the deke everyone seems to use to dodge my dmen when I'm trying tackle them?

Also why does it feel like the opposition team is always doing forecheck in my zone with at least two guys and I never seem to have more than one in their zone?

Would really appreciate if someone could answer those questions.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
You set forechecking with the d-pad between whistles.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Man, fights totally ruin the pace of this game in games with a lot of people. Fast hockey action with frequent 1 minute stops. It's like if you could challenge people to a hole of virtual minigolf during a COD deathmatch that everyone has to watch.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

gman14msu posted:

How much should I be spending for a guy rated 80? How much for a guy rated 85?

You can get 80 rated guys for around 500 pucks, depending if they are popular or play for a popular team. once you get up to the 85 range it gets trickier. I got a 85 rated Heatley card for 3,000 last night, normally he's 4,000-5,000+.

Try to log in each day to keep your daily login bonus building, once you get it maxed out it'll throw 1,000 pucks a day at you.

For me, a big part of the fun of HUT is wheeling and dealing good deals on cards. I have the app on my phone, I mess around with it when I'm bored.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The bench entry physics work great.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/172454652

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

triplexpac posted:

You can get 80 rated guys for around 500 pucks, depending if they are popular or play for a popular team. once you get up to the 85 range it gets trickier. I got a 85 rated Heatley card for 3,000 last night, normally he's 4,000-5,000+.

Try to log in each day to keep your daily login bonus building, once you get it maxed out it'll throw 1,000 pucks a day at you.

For me, a big part of the fun of HUT is wheeling and dealing good deals on cards. I have the app on my phone, I mess around with it when I'm bored.

Weber is like 280000 pucks. :negative: he's the key to my collection aghh!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It would be really, really nice EA would just make it impossible for your AI teammates to be idiots and get 5 minute game misconducts on their own. It sure takes the fun out of my HUT game when one of my god drat AI players just takes a run at someone and gets thrown out, leading to 3 powerplay goals scored against me.

I mean, I understand having the penalties in there for actual player controlled incidents, but I was playing a clean game and then got completely screwed over

:argh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The AI is imbalanced with penalties too. My teammates take 3 or 4 a game, while I'm lucky to get 1 power play in an entire tournament.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I hipchecked Lucic the other day and while flying backwards he spun around in mid air and stepped onto the bench, not a care in the world. Like real life!

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The AI is imbalanced with penalties too. My teammates take 3 or 4 a game, while I'm lucky to get 1 power play in an entire tournament.

yeah between this and all those auto-fights from hitting I lose 100-150 pucks every game; they should really stop taking pucks for PIMs

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to donate your pucks to someone else, I don't use mine at all but yet I keep getting them in EASHL.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not directly, but they can put something with low value up for sale for a really high amount then you can do a trade offer on it.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Flaggy posted:

Is it possible to donate your pucks to someone else, I don't use mine at all but yet I keep getting them in EASHL.
Have a buddy put up a poo poo card for a huge amount and then you just buy it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rutkowski posted:

Have a buddy put up a poo poo card for a huge amount and then you just buy it.

Well if anyone wants some pucks let me know.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Flaggy posted:

Well if anyone wants some pucks let me know.

I'll take the pucks, I'm addicted to this thing.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I'll take the pucks, I'm addicted to this thing.

Whats your PSN? Ill be online about 5-6 CST you can put a card up than and I will buy that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Flaggy posted:

Whats your PSN? Ill be online about 5-6 CST you can put a card up than and I will buy that poo poo.

Ah dang, I didn't notice it was for PS3. Nevermind, sorry!

• Locked thread