Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I pulled a muscle real good deadlifting, like require assistance getting in and out of bed for a week good, and I've never trusted myself going heavy since.

I can feel that snapped guitar string feeling just looking at a loaded bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I pull way more sumo than conventional, and it feels a million times better. I have long legs and arms, however I squat with a somewhat narrow stance.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My goal is to be able deadlift enough so that it's not embarrassing when my back snaps.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

dude his loving shoulders

also today i did a....

10 x 2 Back Squat e/ 2 minutes

went 355-405

405 was bruuuuuuuuuutal

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My gym tossed out every dumbbell over 50kg.

The gently caress is this? Curves?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I doubt anyone was tossing those weights around in that case

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

My gym tossed out every dumbbell over 50kg.

Did they put something else in their place?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

. Is there a reliable cue for "don't attempt this rep it will destroy your back?"

Always chase that final rep.

I guess be willing to drop the bar if you perceive your back is starting to bend in a bad way. I'm definitely guilty of trying to finish my rep at all costs.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The safe answer is that reps only count if they're done with perfect form, and that you should stop when you "miss" one.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

The safe answer is that reps only count if they're done with perfect form, and that you should stop when you "miss" one.

I'm talking about your spine lol

Real talk, train more until you're confident in gauging your ability to lift heavy and grind heavy. Hitting that last tough grinder and pushing through it safely is a skill that takes time to develop proprioception.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Progress pic

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

nooneofconsequence posted:

Did they put something else in their place?

No. The dusty corner the ancient 60s and ??s occupied in now clean and empty.

You never realise what you had until it's gone.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

Progress pic

RP templates = excel based torture techniques.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Sludge Tank posted:

Mix grip and chalk both help.
Try hook grip (different to double overhand ive just discovered)

Also put shrugs in the loving bin. If you want to improve your grip do farmers walks. Shrugs are a giant waste of time.

There is really no point to being alive if you cant or wont do deadlift.

I can't deadlift at the minute due to a knee injury and :agreed:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Sludge Tank posted:

Mix grip and chalk both help.
Try hook grip (different to double overhand ive just discovered)

Also put shrugs in the loving bin. If you want to improve your grip do farmers walks. Shrugs are a giant waste of time.

There is really no point to being alive if you cant or wont do deadlift.

Also farmers walks are way better for grip training, you're right. I'm just an rear end in a top hat.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There is a girl who go to the gym when I go to the gym and she basically works out in the tightest semi-seethrough pants I've ever seen. You can see she's wearing a thong and

she squats a lot

a lot

How do I marry this girl?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

Also farmers walks are way better for grip training, you're right. I'm just an rear end in a top hat.

Is he right about shrugs being a waste of time, too? I really like 'em tbh.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
See my post before that.

They helped me out when I first stated lifting and now they don't do much for me. If you feel like something's helping and it's not universally condemned by people who know what they're talking about then you're probably not wasting your time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cool. My upper traps have long been the source of neck/shoulder pain for me, and doing shrugs has helped immensely. They're also so overall low-effort that they're perfect for supersetting in with some other isolation poo poo.

e: it also seems like a natural target muscle for people focusing on aesthetics?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yeah, sludge tank is giving his opinion on movements from a purely strength based perspective.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Wrong thread edit

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

sassassin posted:

Don't use hook grip.

why hook grip loving owns. my thumbs are all callousy from it but if i can lift a weight i can hold it as long as i need to with hook grip. i just do farmers walks with fat grips for grip strength

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

canadianclassic posted:

why hook grip loving owns. my thumbs are all callousy from it but if i can lift a weight i can hold it as long as i need to with hook grip. i just do farmers walks with fat grips for grip strength

Just use straps or something don't gently caress up your thumbs lifting weights.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Ripped my shorts doing squats :getin: Now I have to buy new shorts :smith:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I only squat in the nude to avoid that exact situation

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Firos posted:

I've annihilated so many pairs of boxers that way

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

I only squat in the nude to avoid that exact situation

Fun fact if you fart while nude squatting the sound will always be a 3rd octave F#

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Kelp Me! posted:

cool. My upper traps have long been the source of neck/shoulder pain for me, and doing shrugs has helped immensely. They're also so overall low-effort that they're perfect for supersetting in with some other isolation poo poo.

e: it also seems like a natural target muscle for people focusing on aesthetics?

For sure. Keep in mind though that if you want truly bodacious traps, don't rely on shrugs alone to hit them. Shrugs are essentially an up-and-down movement, which is fine; however, the orientation of the trap muscles wrap around the upper back, and all the way to the front, by the clavicle. You'll want to include some exercises that are more '3D'.

So two more options I'd add are;

1) high seated cable row (either with a bar, bringing it to your chin, keeping your back tight and traps engaged the entire time -- OR, with a split-rope in a face-pull motion)

and 2) standing trap raise (stand upright, hold a plate in front of you level with your face, arms extended, and lift it up above your head whilst keeping everything tight, and back to the starting position for reps)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah, sludge tank is giving his opinion on movements from a purely strength based perspective.

Dont get me wrong I used to do shrugs too and loved them. Compared to farmers walks even for a muscle building exercise they don't come close.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/farmer-s-walk-cure

A light farmers walk, which for me is 60kg in each hand, walked for 80-100 meters gives the most insane trap and rear delt pump i've ever felt, with the added bonus of huge forearm pump and grip work.

Compare that to a very heavy farmers walk, which to me feels like it works more the entire back, stomach and legs with less or not as much work on the shoulders comparitively. (I get more shoulder pump out of the longer, lighter walks)

Considering how simple both the exercises are versus how much you get out of each one.. if you want big traps you can't beat farmers.
Also if you are going to do shrugs dont roll your shoulders. And don't roll deadlifts either.

I'll stfu now

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 27, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nah that's good info. My gym is tiny so farmer's walks could be a slight issue, but it seems like a pretty sweet exercise. Maybe I'll try it on a treadmill :v:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Doing laps of a small room is fine. Doing the turn with heavy loads is loving hard and a workout in itself.

The room i do mine in is 20m long, so i do 3-5 laps of that.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Sludge Tank posted:

Dont get me wrong I used to do shrugs too and loved them. Compared to farmers walks even for a muscle building exercise they don't come close.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/farmer-s-walk-cure

A light farmers walk, which for me is 60kg in each hand, walked for 80-100 meters gives the most insane trap and rear delt pump i've ever felt, with the added bonus of huge forearm pump and grip work.

Compare that to a very heavy farmers walk, which to me feels like it works more the entire back, stomach and legs with less or not as much work on the shoulders comparitively. (I get more shoulder pump out of the longer, lighter walks)

Considering how simple both the exercises are versus how much you get out of each one.. if you want big traps you can't beat farmers.
Also if you are going to do shrugs dont roll your shoulders. And don't roll deadlifts either.

I'll stfu now

I've only done farmers walks a few times, I think you're the expert here. I'd definitely say they're a more useful exercise if you only had time to do them or shrugs.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
do any of you do rack pulls above the knee for traps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZvOEtw1rFw

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I did that a few times after seeing that video, and it was pretty awesome. Probably not a good idea if you train alot of volume on arms, though.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Firos posted:

Just happened to me 2 days ago. Luckily I wear sliders and my sack didn't fall out my shorts. Finished my workout triumphantly though

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol just pulled a forearm

luv too jerk it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

lol just pulled a forearm

luv too jerk it

I don't remember where I read it but some website was talking about progressive overload and was like "listen if progressive overload wasn't essential to building muscle, all male teenagers would have one massive arm and one normal one"

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Constipated posted:

I pull way more sumo than conventional, and it feels a million times better. I have long legs and arms, however I squat with a somewhat narrow stance.
Try having long legs, short arms, and wide rear end hips. My deadlift options are:
  • Struggle to break it off the ground [either stance]
  • Conventional deadlift, arms are forced to be shoved out past optimal if I want good leg engagement and to not get pain where the leg meets my body
  • Semi-Sumo, my legs are now out past optimal so I can grab the bar optimally or my arms are a bit too close which sucks
  • Sumo, have you seen anyone with real short arms and long legs pull sumo competitively? I mean it works okay, but you gain nothing and lose a bit of the mechanical advantage conventional gives you with those proportions.

Admittedly, I train Sumo more than conventional anyway. Breaking it off the ground is my permanent weak point and I over rely on my not-legs in conventional. Breaking it off the ground in Sumo is brutal as heck when you have the arms of a 5'9 dude at 6'1.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

Try having long legs, short arms, and wide rear end hips. My deadlift options are:
  • Struggle to break it off the ground [either stance]
  • Conventional deadlift, arms are forced to be shoved out past optimal if I want good leg engagement and to not get pain where the leg meets my body
  • Semi-Sumo, my legs are now out past optimal so I can grab the bar optimally
  • Sumo, have you seen anyone with real short arms and long legs pull sumo? I mean it works okay, but good luck breaking it off of the ground. You gain nothing and lose a bit.

Admittedly, I train Sumo more than conventional anyway. Breaking it off the ground is my permanent weak point and I over rely on my back/hips in conventional.

Have you tried defecit deadlifts? Those are great for helping that weak point right at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sludge Tank posted:

Have you tried defecit deadlifts? Those are great for helping that weak point right at the start.
Every deadlift I do is a deficit deadlift.