Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Joey Freshwater posted:

Didn't the raiders have to apply for their move and get something like a 2/3 owners vote approved? If the league/owners are so against the chargers moving, how did they get the votes to move?
From what I understand the owners were going to have a meeting with Spanos to halt the move and he simply didn't show up. I might be off base though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I thought they authorized the move last year when they approved the Rams?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

From what I understand the owners were going to have a meeting with Spanos to halt the move and he simply didn't show up. I might be off base though.

:suspense:

Wow, it's almost like old white billionaires aren't used to hearing "no."

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ok so it seems they did approve it. 6 team board essentially and the rams chargers and raiders are on it!

I glanced so someone verify im out and was super curious so I looked it up

https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin.com/report-nfl-relocation-vote-was-swung-by-the-introducti-1754055908/amp?client=safari

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

tk posted:

Yeah, that's it. Last year they gave the Chargers the option to move.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Kevyn posted:

Are they gonna move Al's body to Vegas too?

lol if you think there's a corpse in that sarcophagus

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I thought there were reports before the move was announced that the NFL wanted the Chargers to stay and were offering some sort of financial help. Then a day later he announced the move. I felt like he pulled the trigger on the relocation because of the talk about them staying.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

tk posted:

Yep. As part of allowing the Rams to move to LA via the secret vote, owners softened the blow to Spanos by giving him the option to move to LA and rent from Kroenke. I don't think any of the owners thought he would do it, though, because there is nothing beneficial about moving to the Kroenkedome unless Spanos plans on selling the team ASAP.

e:

Neil Armbong posted:

I thought there were reports before the move was announced that the NFL wanted the Chargers to stay and were offering some sort of financial help. Then a day later he announced the move. I felt like he pulled the trigger on the relocation because of the talk about them staying.

NFL had already offered $300m (or something like that) to make a deal with SD. There were rumors of another $100m being thrown to help build a new stadium if Spanos stayed in SD, but they were just rumors.

Spanos going to LA means that he lost the $300m of house money to play with AND required him to pay ~$650m in relocation fees, so it's not like an extra $100m was going to win him over either way.

Zurreco fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 21, 2017

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Like, how rich are the spanos family that they can do all of this and not wake up in a cold sweat every morning about how hosed they are

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shiksa posted:

Like, how rich are the spanos family that they can do all of this and not wake up in a cold sweat every morning about how hosed they are

At a certain point I don't think it's entirely money-related

As Zurreco said, not only did they lose a chance at $300 mil, he had to pay $650 mil more in relocation fees

He didn't want to stay, he couldn't have made it any clearer, and I've felt he made his mind up on that since the SD vote results came back in on November. Dragging it out to the last week was just one last gently caress you

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't remember how the Raider/Chargers Carson project was supposed to be funded, was that all private money?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

FCKGW posted:

I don't remember how the Raider/Chargers Carson project was supposed to be funded, was that all private money?

Spanos and Davis had a gentleman's agreement to go 50/50 on an arena (minus whatever public funds they could get). The idea was that Spanos was willing to share evenly (despite having the higher net worth) explicitly because the Raiders brand in LA was a guaranteed ROI.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Gus Bradley hired as DC

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah wow it surprises me they can't veto the decision to be honest

I believe all relo's have to receive 23 of the 32 owner votes.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

Article IV, Section 3:

quote:

No member club shall have the right to transfer its franchise or playing site to a different city, either within or outside its home territory, without prior approval by the affirmative vote of three-fourths of the existing member clubs of the League.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The Chargers won't go back to San Diego unless the NFL is gonna pay for it. And even if they did, is there any chance the city doesn't lambaste Dean?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Glass of Milk posted:

The Chargers won't go back to San Diego unless the NFL is gonna pay for it. And even if they did, is there any chance the city doesn't lambaste Dean?

The city just wants their football team back. They'd prefer it without Dean, but they'll take it

Slothass
Mar 6, 2004
Has there been any word on talks between Kronke and Dean? Did he just announce this move without any prior negotiations about the logistics of sharing the stadium?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

lol if you think there's a corpse in that sarcophagus

Well, corpse, undead thing waiting to awake, whatever.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Slothass posted:

Has there been any word on talks between Kronke and Dean? Did he just announce this move without any prior negotiations about the logistics of sharing the stadium?

Rams were not apprised of the Chargers' decision to move to LA. I'm guessing they're in talks right now and one of two things is happening:

1) Dean Spanos is not involved in the negotiations at all and things are going smoothly (but the Chargers are not getting the winfall they were hoping for)
2) Dead Spanos is currently very upset that Kroenke is playing hardball with PSL revenue sharing because gosh darnit, being hated by 30 teams and millions of fans is hard enough.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I believe all relo's have to receive 23 of the 32 owner votes.

As has been stated, SD got the votes approving a move on the condition that LA was allowed to move immediately. Since LA moved, the SD move option was activated regardless of an additional vote.

Zurreco fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 21, 2017

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

The city just wants their football team back. They'd prefer it without Dean, but they'll take it

Hahaha hahaha do you actually believe this?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I want them back, but if dean owns them, no go

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

Isn't the relocation costing Spanos and co as much as building the stadium they wanted and Spanos is just being a pisspants taking his ball and going home out of some stupid stand?

As I understood it, Spanos had to put in 650 mill for a stadium and the city would top up the rest and he thought it was too much so he decided to move which is costing 650 mill?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adun posted:

But of course it would make too much sense for Las Vegas to let its citizens vote on it like San Diego did. Much easier for Sheldon Adelson to buy off a couple dozen lawmakers in a special session.

Also one of the two daily papers (it's kinda impressive Vegas has two daily papers, very few cities still have that)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

Isn't the relocation costing Spanos and co as much as building the stadium they wanted and Spanos is just being a pisspants taking his ball and going home out of some stupid stand?

As I understood it, Spanos had to put in 650 mill for a stadium and the city would top up the rest and he thought it was too much so he decided to move which is costing 650 mill?

From what I gather the idea is the franchise will gain worth just from being in Los Angeles, so moving makes it worth giving up all of that money. Whether that's true or not I have no real idea.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Spanos hosed us so hard there's no going back. There's only one reply worthy of anything Dean Spanos could ever say to attempt to make things "right": " go kill u r self"

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

BlindSite posted:

It's costing more for Spanos to move to LA than it would to build a stadium in Mission Valley.

The city, county and sdsu offered $375 million (subject to voter approval), paired with $300 million from the NFL (100m gift, 200m loan), and the Chargers would contribute $350m ( the Chargers' $350 million would be covered by PSLs, Naming Rights, and Sponsorship/Advertising deals). There was a likely gap of around $100m, which broke the deal.

In contrast, Dean now has to pay the relocation loan of $650m plus an estimated $100m in moving and setup costs to be a tenant in LA, which will wind up being around $1B after the interest on the loans.

So why do it? A couple theories:

1. He really didn't want mission valley. I don't buy this- the Chargers asked for a mission valley stadium for years until they tried to go to Carson, when MV was suddenly not good enough.

2. Team value. The Chargers are instantly worth a billion dollars more in LA. But this only makes sense if the Spanos' want to sell, which doesn't seem to be the case.

3. He had to sell the narrative that he tried everything in SD to the NFL to allow relocation. By supporting a doomed-to-fail ballot measure, and only that, he bolstered his case.

3a. Opening the door to LA also let him go to the owners meeting and say he didn't really want to go to LA, and basically beg for money. When they told him to pound sand, then he pulled the trigger.

I think it's the latter, and in the same way he got outmaneuvered in the LA stadium race a year ago, he got outmaneuvered by the NFL here and had to go through with it.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Dean essentially was begging for public funding while demanding a stadium in downtown SD - he was always set against getting a new stadium in Mission Valley no matter how much both the city of SD and the NFL tried making it work for him. One of the reasons why Mark Fabiani was used as his attack dog to constantly smear the city government during the ordeal, of course.

I'm pretty sure Dean was always set on moving the team for a couple of reasons: his pride was injured when they tried presenting the Carson stadium plan to the rest of the league, they shot it down and went with Kroenke's instead, and that the ballot plan assembled for the election was such a half-assed, sloppy & rushed proposal - note that Spanos' plans for trying to get a stadium deal done in SD was ALWAYS vague & half-assed on the details. Some of this is being set on moving and just going through the motions, to make it look like he tried to the rest of the league, but he didn't really. The other thing is that the Spanos family is simply a pack of inept morons from the top down; from when Alex bought the team in 1984 and acted like a piece of poo poo toward Coryell, Fouts, Winslow etc; Dean running the team into the ground, to even the ineptitude of Dean's sons. AG Spanos supposedly was the one who worked on that lovely Dodger ripoff logo for a year, and John's an imbecile who doesn't know the first thing about football, and hired a coach because he was forced to keep Whisenhunt on.

The only way San Diego would take the Chargers back is if the Spanos family was forced to sell the team.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Grittybeard posted:

Well, corpse, undead thing waiting to awake, whatever.

Al Davis, Vampire Lord Of The West.

This would also explain Mark's Igor haircut.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

2. Team value. The Chargers are instantly worth a billion dollars more in LA. But this only makes sense if the Spanos' want to sell, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I think it's this. And it does make sense, because of Billionaire Math. Even extraordinarily rich people constantly compare their net worths to other billionaires, and feel a sense of accomplishment from having their own number be higher. More practically, an asset that you don't sell is still an asset, which means you can do fun things like borrow against it.

But mostly its the first thing. Billionaires are very concerned about their "Legacy," they all want to be John D. Rockafeller. Being ultra-rich is no good unless you can position yourself as a money genius who can turn a vast pile of money into a much vaster pile of money.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's this. And it does make sense, because of Billionaire Math. Even extraordinarily rich people constantly compare their net worths to other billionaires, and feel a sense of accomplishment from having their own number be higher. More practically, an asset that you don't sell is still an asset, which means you can do fun things like borrow against it.

But mostly its the first thing. Billionaires are very concerned about their "Legacy," they all want to be John D. Rockafeller. Being ultra-rich is no good unless you can position yourself as a money genius who can turn a vast pile of money into a much vaster pile of money.

Even Julius Caesar felt impotent when he compared himself to Alexander the Great.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I think the best thing about this is that now everyone, not just Charger fans, are aware of the fact that Dean Spanos is both a moron and a huge piece of poo poo.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Chichevache posted:

Even Julius Caesar felt impotent when he compared himself to Alexander the Great.

To be honest, he was a Governor in Spain at the time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

He might also want to borrow against it to buy something else glazer style I suppose.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

ColdBlooded posted:

I think the best thing about this is that now everyone, not just Charger fans, are aware of the fact that Dean Spanos is both a moron and a huge piece of poo poo.

How short is the list of NFL owners that are not morons or huge pieces of poo poo? Arthur Blank and Paul Allen?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zurreco posted:

How short is the list of NFL owners that are not morons or huge pieces of poo poo? Arthur Blank and Paul Allen?

Clark Hunt seems fine I guess? Mark Davis is a weird guy and a fashion moron for sure, but seems more or less ok unless you're just really angry at him for moving the team.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Jeff Lurie made an anti-Wall Street movie?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Grittybeard posted:

Clark Hunt seems fine I guess? Mark Davis is a weird guy and a fashion moron for sure, but seems more or less ok unless you're just really angry at him for moving the team.

Mark Davis is a legitimate ignoramus. I've got nothing against Hunt, though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurreco posted:

It's too short of a time to fairly judge Shad. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zurreco posted:

Mark Davis is a legitimate ignoramus. I've got nothing against Hunt, though.

he just looks like it, but he's been a fantastic owner. he knows his place in the team hierarchy and doesn't get involved where he shouldn't, but he's intervened in other times when it was the right thing to do.

• Locked thread