Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Way to go dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Why do you think the guy's attached? Not everyone that age is you know.

If not this one it'll be the next one.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Everyone defending the retard DVR deleter/waterboarder can go date him themselves if they're that loving worried about him jfc.

The guy needs his dick sucked but that doesn't mean she has to be the one to do it anymore. Step up to the plate, goons.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

If anyone deserves to be lectured by a smarmy internet atheist, it's the guy who hired a hymen gumshoe to investigate allegations that his girlfriend wore shorts.

Genesplicer, plz rename me to " a hymen gumshoe"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
(Washington) I bought my son's friend a hamburger and some hot dogs and his mom is reporting us to CPS for child endangerment. (self.legaladvice)

quote:

As my kids are about to go back to school, we decided to have a fun weekend. I took both my kids and one friend each to a Mariners game this weekend. While there, we had cokes, hot dogs, garlic fries, peanuts, and burgers before the game. All basic baseball game junk food. I am always shocked at how much it costs but we had fun so I didn't mind. Last night, my son's friend's mom called us and started screaming on the phone that we allowed her son to eat meat. She said her son is a strict vegetarian and that is how they have brought him up and that we had no right to give him food that she doesn't allow. I know the boy pretty well as he's basically got free rein of the house since they've been friends for years. When he spends time with us, there have always been veggie options for him, but for a while now, he has decided to eat meat with the rest of us. He's 15 years old, and I figured he can choose to eat whatever he wants when he's in our home. I don't care. But according to her, I should have refused to let him eat meat at the game and bought him something else. She didn't seem to be aware that he's been eating meat at our house for about a year. She said she's going to file a complaint with CPS for child endangerment and interference with parental rights Monday morning. I always thought her elevator didn't make it quite to the top floor, but this seems completely bonkers to me. Do I have anything to worry about here?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Meat is murder and he made her children accessories after the fact

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Haifisch posted:

Just regular old uncertified pepper.

My [F19] roommate [F19] is paranoid and it's getting on my nerves.

Betting:

-roommate is from rural/suburban area
-college is in a downtown area
-said downtown area has black people

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

"I'm concerned for my safety!" I scream as I shuffle past the bus stop with my gaze locked on my feet.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

(Washington) I bought my son's friend a hamburger and some hot dogs and his mom is reporting us to CPS for child endangerment. (self.legaladvice)

If this were anywhere other than Seattle (or Portland, from what this thread tells me) I wouldn't believe it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

LMAO there's literally no way CPS responds to this, right?

It's not even his kid, what the gently caress could they do?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

WampaLord posted:

LMAO there's literally no way CPS responds to this, right?

It's not even his kid, what the gently caress could they do?

Laugh and get on with their depressing job and crushing backlog.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Inescapable Duck posted:

Laugh and get on with their depressing job and crushing backlog.
It's probably going to be the lowest scoring report on the depressing+crazy combination scale all day. And something they laugh about with each other for a while.

If the child was 2-3 years old then maybe the parent would have a point about it being a lovely thing to do. Still not CPS worthy unless it was raw meat and they were deathly ill or something.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If your 15 year old doesn't voluntarily refuse meat when offered they're not a vegetarian, you're just not feeding them meat.

gently caress, my kids are four and seven and their vegetarian mom won the diet argument. She was able to instill it in them hard enough that whenever I present them with unfamilliar food their first question is "does it have meat in it?"

Note that I have told them sincerely that I would never knowingly "trick" them into eating meat and if they want to change their minds about it when they are older they can.

They still ask though.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 15, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Owned :smith:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Is it unreasonable for me[25M] to ask my ex fiance[23F] for half of the non refundable deposit money from our wedding venue?Breakups (self.relationships)

quote:

I wrote a check out of my personal checking account for $1,000 as a deposit for the wedding venue. I just looked at the contact and of course it is non refundable. I plan on calling the woman anyway to see if she could make an exception because the wedding date is over 15 months away and it is a very popular venue, it'll be booked for our weekend by the end of the month I'm sure.

But I told my ex that if I have no luck getting the money back I expect her to pay for half of the loss. She broke up with me. As far as I'm concerned she canceled the wedding when she dumped me. I even told her that she doesn't have to give me $500 cash but rather when we sell our home I could just profit $500 more than her at the closing. She told me since the check was written in my name that I'm poo poo out of luck. Her words.

The house is in contract and sellers are lined up. We are doing a private sale that I lined up with close friends of mine. If it doesn't work out with them I have two more couples interested. Last week I went and hired an attorney to draw up the contract for us. I'm doing all of the leg work here to get this house sold. If anything I just thought this would help my case come closing and asking for money.

Am I being unreasonable asking for this money? She has me completely drained right now and any little bit will help me so much with my next move once I'm out of our home. Thanks for listening I won't take it personally if I'm wrong here. I'm just very upset and emotionally a wreck these days and I just want answers before my anxiety completely takes over.

tl;dr: Ex and I put down a thousand dollar deposit for wedding venue. I want half of the money from her. Is that unreasonable?

:smithcloud:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you, idiot: Domestic abusers often strive to gradually isolate their victims in an environment of arbitrary, unpredictable outbursts, followed by minimizing and dismissing the event so as to foster an overall pattern of dependency and learned helplessness in the victim, whose wellbeing grows to depend on reflexively placating the whims of their abuser at all times, no matter how unreasonable

me, enlightened: There is literally no such thing as abuse. What is abuse, even? Nobody can define it, because it doesn't exist lol

Oh, so my grandma Kitty in regards to her husband and children, and pretty much anyone else? God rest her black soul.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

As far as I'm concerned she canceled the wedding when she dumped me.

Hmmmm, checks out

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
I don't like the bummer stories so much, but the banal everyday pettiness ones hit the right spot every time:

Me [34F] with my husband [35 M] married 4 years. We don't go on dates downtown often, but when we do, he walks in front of me. Relationships

quote:

submitted 12 hours ago by hotmessifyouwill

I'm wonerding why, if we are out on a date and walking to a restaurant from a parking lot, would my man walk 3-4 steps ahead of me and get angry at me when I called him out on this behavior. We are the same height, and I don't wear high heeled shoes.

**tl;dr. Why would a spouse not keep pace with the person walking more slowly?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The woman, being subservient, should walk five feet behind her husband at all times. Lol that Reddit manlets have her first thought be about height

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ThePeavstenator posted:

Betting:

-roommate is from rural/suburban area
-college is in a downtown area
-said downtown area has black people
Look, cities become murder arenas the instant the sun goes down. Everyone knows this. Double-locking your door, shoving a heavy piece of furniture against it, and rigging a booby trap to decapitate intruders is just common sense.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

*scrolls through the entirety of Tumblr and lands on an old WWI document detailing a 17-year-old private who wakes up screaming every night thinking he's still getting shelled in the Somme* lol triggered much. literally shaking. what a special snowflake :rolleyes:

He was executed three days later on charges cowardice for refusing to return to the front. That'll learn that whiny Millenial!

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Me [25 F] with my best friend [24 F] of 20 years, She keeps throwing tantrums when she doesn't get her way, getting worse now that i'm getting serious with my SO [24 M] of 4 years Non-Romantic

quote:

submitted 2 hours ago by tornaboutfriendship
Sorry this is going to be long there are 20 years of a friendship stuck into one post.

Me and my best friend met our first year of Kindergarden. We've had our ups and downs since then but we've always been super close and there for each other. Even though we studied different things in different colleges we've always stayed super close. We're both huge artistic nerds in a small town. Since graduating college we still both live in this small town. My mom's said she's always bossed me around and I've always happily followed along.

I have to stress she has been such a good friend to me and I know I'm no saint myself. I can be annoying, vain and opinionated.

We're both really artistic and have a shared artistic hobby we've been doing since we were 16. Lately, she's gotten really good at it and is constantly creating better and better things. I'm so happy for her, she really puts the work in so she really deserves the praise she's getting. I don't put in the same amount of work and I'm happy with being mediocre at our hobby for me it's just about the fun.
Anyway, I started dating my SO 4 years ago. He was also involved in our hobby but has since moved on to other stuff, he still goes to all the events though since he loves seeing everyones work and the social aspect (also my favourite aspect). We've an amazing relationship and we're crazy about each other. The problem is since we've gotten more and more serious my friendship with her has gotten more and more strained.

Since we both live in this small town we used to spend ages working together on our projects. My SO lives 2 hrs away so by this stage my time is 50/50 split between home and his.

So obviously we decided to start looking to move in together. Now since my times been split 50/50 she's gotten quite moody whenever we hang out. I always thought it was because she was bogged down in her work all the time and I'm now only throwing it all together last minute which means she was under stress when I saw her and I wasn't. But when I told her about moving in with my SO sometime in the near future she's become even worse. Now she keeps making snide remarks about our sex life (because I refuse to tell her what me and my SO do she keeps "joking" that we obviously never have sex and only have boring sex) I find these jokes super hurtful and inappropriate.

It should also be noted she's never had a boyfriend for longer than a few months and they've been few and far between to the bafflement of everyone because she's gorgeous. I should also say at this point she's 100% straight, I'm bi so we have talked about this in the past.

This past weekend things came to a head. We were at a yearly event for our hobby. I once again ran out of time so she helped me throw something together (very nice of her). One of my favourite part of these events is when everyone goes out for drinks afterwards. I'm very social so I love chatting with old friends and getting to know new people. She knows this but lately since she's working so much harder she just wants to go, show off her work and leave. I wasn't planning on staying out very late anyway but the minute 10 hit she wanted to leave straight away. And basically said "Ok we're leaving now". at this point, she'd spend the whole time in bar on her phone in the corner while I was chatting to everyone including my SO. I didn't want to go and was super conflicted because I also wanted to go back to my SO's later on. My SO offered her a spare bed if she didn't want to go home alone but she left anyway in a huge huff. Then the next morning I got a message saying that she didn't think we should work together on our hobby anymore. When I went over to pick up some stuff I left at hers that weekend, she was down right icey cold and mean. Had all my stuff packed up by the door, handed it to me and through the door then closed it. It honestly feels like I've been dumped, and it feels like she's punishing me for choosing my SO over her. I just didn't want to go home so early from a once a year event and I wanted to spend time with my SO who I hadn't talked to properly all weekend.

What I want to know is two part. Is there something here I did wrong? Am I being one of those girls who ditches her friends for her SO? And what should I do to make her understand that her friendship means the world to me and I can't stand the thought of it ending, but I'm also really unhappy with how things are lately.

If you feel I've left anything out or am being unclear in anyway please let me know and I'll clarify. If you got this far thanks for reading!

tl;dr: I feel like I'm being made choose between my best friend and my boyfriend. I can't stand the thought of life without her.

Now taking bets on what's the hobby. I've got :10bux: riding on "Fursuiters"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Haifisch posted:

Look, cities become murder arenas the instant the sun goes down. Everyone knows this. Double-locking your door, shoving a heavy piece of furniture against it, and rigging a booby trap to decapitate intruders is just common sense.

Every white mom on a campus tour where there's a visible minority community: "What's the crime rate like around here? Is it safe????"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

Me [25 F] with my best friend [24 F] of 20 years, She keeps throwing tantrums when she doesn't get her way, getting worse now that i'm getting serious with my SO [24 M] of 4 years Non-Romantic

I was going to say some kind of cosplay but reading the beginning again yea it's homemade fursuits

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

If your 15 year old doesn't voluntarily refuse meat when offered they're not a vegetarian, you're just not feeding them meat.

Troof. And if your toddler winds up hospitalized, it's because you're malmourishing it, not because it's vegan.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bubblyblubber posted:

nah, better
Owner and employees post REALLY antisemitic drawings all over the kitchen. Help.

quote:

http://imgur.com/IzPJq3y
This is the most recent examples of the poo poo that goes on at my work. This disgusting doodle was done by the shop owner and posted on one of the refrigerator doors. we have a kitten calender that is defaced every month with swastikas or some other stupid stuff. Ebola jokes, "lesbian seagulls", kittens refashioned into Hitler. There is a dog poster with a Hitler mustache and a Nazi armband. There are several cut out glitter swastikas throughout the kitchen. My question is there any legal action that can be taken? Several of the employees, myself included are completely disturbed and disgusted by this behavior. We've recently begun documenting all of this stuff. There's also angry notes left taped to things saying stuff like, CLEAN THIS loving SINK. This guy is a respected business owner, I wish people knew the truth! Edit: USA Also, there's a drawing on the fridge of a girl singing, "We should bring segregation back"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

And if your toddler winds up hospitalized, it's because you're malmourishing it, not because it's vegan.

Same thing isn't it

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bubblyblubber posted:

Any time they go through such trouble to not mention the hobby I assume it's hunting people.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ThePeavstenator posted:

Every white mom on a campus tour where there's a visible minority community: "What's the crime rate like around here? Is it safe????"
"You're not walking around at night, are you??" "No. Of course not. Totally."

How should I [22F] tell my overprotective parents [56M&F] that I'm going on a 3 day hackathon on the other side of the country?

quote:

My parents keep a very tight leash on me. They do not like me going out after dark, they don't like it when I go out with my boyfriend in case someone sees us and judges my parents for letting me date. They have been getting better at letting me go out more as long as its in broad daylight and not in sketchy neighbourhoods. Flying to another city alone is a whole different beast.

However I think going to this hackathon would be extremely beneficial for me. It's not some vacation to just have fun. It would look good on my resume. It'll give me a chance to network with the various tech companies who are sponsoring the event and with other students who are into programming as well. It's an opportunity to build some more team building as well as technical skills thanks to their numerous workshops. It's also a great place to potentially make something great and who knows, I could win something.

Thankfuly the flight is from one major city to another, there are shuttle busses from the airport straight to the university, and accomodations for participants. And all of this will be reimbursed to some degree and anything not reimbursed will come out of my own pocket.

But I'm not sure if they'll be able to look past the fact that I would be alone (even though there will be like 1,000 other students there even other girls like me), I'm a girl, and its taboo for them for me to travel alone while unmarried. I feel like they would just dismiss me right off the bat.

This is not my first trip I've taken without them. One time I went to Disneyland with my high school marching band but it was only because there were parent volunteers that they could trust. Another time I went to a Christian youth camp with a bunch of Filipino kids that they inherentlt trusted because they were Filipino.

I am very tempted to just go on the trip anyway which won't be too hard to do but I'm having trouble coming up with the guts to do it. The best case scenario is that they say yes and I can go guilt free. But I'm afraid of the consequences when I get back if I did go anyway.

tl;dr: I'm an Asian female Computer Science major who unexpectedly got accepted to Hack the North which is a large hackathon (like a marathon to make an application) for students that takes place at the University of Waterloo. I want to go but I don't know how to break the news to my parents who are overprotective and conservative.
These posts really need an autoreply that says "you're a goddamned adult, just go you spineless wimp."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Last time I was in New Orleans, I had stopped to look up directions on my phone and have a smoke. Police sirens fired up two or three blocks away, followed by a quick series of gunshots about a minute later. I just kept smoking and looking at my phone, but I was with my parents and they were freaking the gently caress out. They made me get in the car so we could leave. I didn't even get to finish my smoke!

I mean, the scenario had obviously resolved itself. What the gently caress? White people... :rolleyes:

E: I wanna see a pic of a lesbian seagull doodle now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh, so my grandma Kitty in regards to her husband and children, and pretty much anyone else? God rest her black soul.

And now I suddenly realise that's also pretty much my childhood

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Pvt.Scott posted:

Last time I was in New Orleans, I had stopped to look up directions on my phone and have a smoke. Police sirens fired up two or three blocks away, followed by a quick series of gunshots about a minute later. I just kept smoking and looking at my phone, but I was with my parents and they were freaking the gently caress out. They made me get in the car so we could leave. I didn't even get to finish my smoke!

I mean, the scenario had obviously resolved itself. What the gently caress? White people... :rolleyes:

it's impossible for me to fall asleep when I go camping without my "Gunshots and Police Sirens" noise track

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

when i lived in a college town the police would send out flyers to apt buildings near campus pointing out hot tips like "don't leave your doors unlocked while gone for christmas break" and "the town is loving deserted so maybe don't walk home drunk at 3am listening to your iphone"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

nah, better
Owner and employees post REALLY antisemitic drawings all over the kitchen. Help.

Save pics of all of the nazi doodles then post them to the restaurant's yelp page when you move on.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

maskenfreiheit posted:

when i lived in a college town the police would send out flyers to apt buildings near campus pointing out hot tips like "don't leave your doors unlocked while gone for christmas break" and "the town is loving deserted so maybe don't walk home drunk at 3am listening to your iphone"

New college students that have never lived in a populated area before inevitably fall into two categories: unnecessarily paranoid, or completely careless.

The roommate from that story is an idiot barring some kind of trauma involving burglary or something.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I remember our college paper had a crime blotter for the dorms and nearby apartments.

90% of the reports were "someone got caught with weed."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bubblyblubber posted:

I don't like the bummer stories so much, but the banal everyday pettiness ones hit the right spot every time:

Me [34F] with my husband [35 M] married 4 years. We don't go on dates downtown often, but when we do, he walks in front of me. Relationships

hold hands? :shrug:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Blue Train posted:

I was going to say some kind of cosplay but reading the beginning again yea it's homemade fursuits

Plot twist, it's the girls from Foam Adventures.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

nah, better

hey this guy works at my brother's auto shop. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

hey this guy works at my brother's auto shop. :smith:

Volkswagen :argh: