Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

My thinking has been 'my main defense is my zombies'. I've learned that is not the case. I don't want them dying if I can help it, even though my own safety comes first. On the other hand, they're easy to replace. I don't know what I want any more. :negative:

Discipline gives shielding to my minions too, right?

Discipline gives shielding to your minions, too! :) I use my zombies as ablative shielding a lot, since they have way more HP than I do (even without a Mon'tregul's Grasp), and they can be resummoned. Frankly, it's very rare that I lose a zombie in a fight tough enough to lose them, since mobs that are tough enough to actually be a threat to my zombies end up going for me instead. :downs: It's hard to keep them standing until you get the nodes that let them regenerate health, but once you do, it's easier to keep them alive, as attrition is a major issue in their survivability.

Play like a general. Zombie AI is incredibly dumb (literally stand-there-while-you-get-your-rear end-beat dumb), but you can "direct" them by casting a spell at the desired location, and they will move to cluster around that location, attacking anything that gets in their way (for this, I use a curse, such as Enfeeble). Fighting also attracts them, and I keep a SRS totem linked for boss battles when I need to dodge all over the place while having my minions attack, and the spirits' more aggressive AI will keep goading the zombies to attack as well.

Convocation is very helpful, too, if you find your army scattered, or you have a monster bearing down on you and you want a layer of undead between it and you right now. Offerings are great - I use Flesh because it's hilarious to see zombies zooming around, but if you're very concerned about minion survivability Bone Offering works as well. If you took the Mistress of Sacrifice Ascendancy node, the Offering spells work on you, too!

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Is 'regular' Atziri doable casually?

definitely, especially if you dont mind dying a few times during the run. i did it on a flame totem character last league wearing a tabula with no fight-specific flasks or anything. first set of fragments, died like 3 or 4 times total

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Two build questions since I'm starting to get kind of bored of firestorm spamming:

1) For a Viper Strike build, if I dual wield a Bino's + a Vagan dagger, will their big important mods (Vagan implicit and poison nearby enemies on kill) apply to attacks made with the other weapon?

2) I found a Static Electricity gem, what kind of crazy poo poo can I do with this? I'm thinking some kind of Tornado Shot build with that plus Storm Cloud and a ton of elemental damage nodes would work?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I just found boots that give me essentially +40% movespeed. But at the cost of 20% more physical damage.

Will that make Labyrinth traps hurt more?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Two build questions since I'm starting to get kind of bored of firestorm spamming:

1) For a Viper Strike build, if I dual wield a Bino's + a Vagan dagger, will their big important mods (Vagan implicit and poison nearby enemies on kill) apply to attacks made with the other weapon?

2) I found a Static Electricity gem, what kind of crazy poo poo can I do with this? I'm thinking some kind of Tornado Shot build with that plus Storm Cloud and a ton of elemental damage nodes would work?

1. I want to say Bino = yes, Vagan = no.
2. I know someone here did a build that used Iron Commander, since that also involves picking up a shitload of DEX

I just found boots that give me essentially +40% movespeed. But at the cost of 20% more physical damage.

Will that make Labyrinth traps hurt more?

Yes, most of the traps deal physical DoT

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 7, 2016

panda clue
May 23, 2014
from my run, three keys:

the blues/yellows are from one box and are all ilvl84. uber laby farming builds are definitely gonna be a thing.

on that same note, self-cast discharge jugger is a really good uber laby farming build.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

This league is not like last league. They made Jewels a lot more rare overall. So the price will never be 5c again. Expect 20c+ to be the new norm. Also I am doing the build just fine without the jewel. So it can be done until you can save up for the jewel.

Well yeah, there's all sorts of poo poo that is either stupidly cheap or absurdly expensive relative to previous leagues. You could get like 8 windrippers for the price of a lioneyes fall right now. And yeah, I'm doing fine without it, only 80 on that dude though. I started a new char in any case, so I don't know how much I'll be playing that build anymore. My real issue was reflect, even with Vaal pact I don't have enough leech to not wreck myself when I get several coc procs off a single blast rain and my spell dodge fails.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

killstealing posted:

I swap out aoe and swap in conc effect, that burns bosses down pretty quickly though add-less bosses are a major weak point (I couldn't get atziri down before walking into a flameblast for example). For reference merc Izaro died in 2-3 of those discharges at 80

I'm honestly so close to RF I might try speccing into some more regen (think I'm like 1% off sustain). Then again I can also buy a 2nd doryani's and see where the damage train stops

I dont get it.

Izaro at 80 took me the better part of 5 minutes, thats with equilibrium and ice nova for trigger.
Then again, he had like 15 endurance charges.

Im now running RF with phoenix and purity, discharge is now more of a secondary for me.
With teh 10 charges, im somewhere at 21% life reg.
The only thing thats dangerous is when a discharge doesnt trigger an endurance charge (im blaspheming warlords mark with the purity) and a stun prevents enduring cry.

I initially tried going for endurance charge on stun, but its impossible without going extremly heavy into melee.
Well, initially initially i wanted to make this CoC with a Trypanon and ECoS for charge supply, but then i discovered trypanon was perandus exlusive...

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

whypick1 posted:

1. I want to say Bino = yes, Vagan = no.
2. I know someone here did a build that used Iron Commander, since that also involves picking up a shitload of DEX

Yes, most of the traps deal physical DoT

Is there any way to reduce the damage taken from traps? Armor? Granite Flask? Bleeding prevention flask?

Aside from "Don't get hit" or "Be a minion", of course. I'm already trying that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Vasudus posted:

You'll probably brick 2-3 sets before killing Atziri the first time. Then you'll quickly be able to figure out if a build is Atziri viable. It's okay to make builds that can't do her! I do all the time.
I did exactly this last league! I'm gonna give it a go again with a CoC Blast Rain when I get one up (I rather doubt that Shield Charge can handle Atziri, sadly).

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Is there any way to reduce the damage taken from traps? Armor? Granite Flask? Bleeding prevention flask?

Aside from "Don't get hit" or "Be a minion", of course. I'm already trying that.

be jugger with two Kaom's Way rings and literally walk through the uber laby ignoring all trap mechanics.

i'm not exaggerating. I heal standing in most traps. i walk through a lot of traps just to re-up my endurance charges.

on that note, the 'worst' traps do % of your max hp over time, so the only way to effectively 'reduce' the damage you're taking from them is to up your life regen.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 7, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

"No" to all 3 of those. Armor/Granite only works on hits, not DoT. Traps don't apply bleed either.

Leo's signature mod is reduced DoT taken. Assassin's Toxic Delivery also grants reduced DoT taken.

Or just regen through it like panda said.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Daggers work with viper so it will hit with main and then it will hit with offhand. If you had a vagan one hand mace/axe it will work like it does with reave.

Static + Storm Cloud is fantastic for bow leveling. Hell, static plus any bow is good. The jewel slot between duelist and ranger on the way to scion, and the one on the far side of the ranger area are the best places for it.

I used static + Rain of Splinters as a better LMP for elemental siege ballista with iron commander last league. It was fun. Unlike whispering ice which needs as much int as possible, I think the sweet spot for iron commander is 600 dex for 4 totems so you can still get 190% life and enough resists to run coil.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

panda clue posted:

be jugger with two Kaom's Way rings and literally walk through the uber laby ignoring all trap mechanics.

i'm not exaggerating. I heal standing in most traps. i walk through a lot of traps just to re-up my endurance charges.

on that note, the 'worst' traps do % of your max hp over time, so the only way to effectively 'reduce' the damage you're taking from them is to up your life regen.

Sounds amazing, but that would mean I'd have cleared the labyrinth at least once or twice anyway...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Movement skills help with lab, I've had decent success just running through popping flasks with a quicksilver and using well-timed leap slam or whatever

panda clue
May 23, 2014

step 1) enduring cry + immortal call
step 2) enduring cry + discharge
step 3) if enemy not dead, return to step 1

ez game

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Okay so this is a planned build for me since I'm not really having that much fun with my ED/Contagion Occultist (it cleans out maps well but I wasn't happy with the DPS on Atziri when I ran her with a 5L and a lvl 18 ED).

Gem links:
Chest: Lacerate - Melee Phys - Multistrike - Inc Crit Strikes - Inc AoE - (Fortify)
3L: Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify
3L: Blood Rage - Vaal Haste - Increased Duration
4L: Hatred - Blasphemy - Assassin's Mark - (filler)
4L: Summon Ice Golem - Minion Resists - Blind - (filler)
4L: Anything else

Either the Blood Rage setup or the Ice Golem setup could go on CWDT, and I don't really plan to use Immortal Call. Determination might honestly be better than Hatred even, if I do enough damage. Gear is like Wall of Brambles, Lioneye's Remorse, Abyssus, and crit/flat phys/accuracy jewelry.

With decent jewelry, the build hits around 450% crit multiplier, 6000 accuracy (30% attack speed), and 24000 armor before any buffs. With a decent crit sword I should have around 60% chance to crit with charges. I feel like there's a lack of life on the tree but there's not that much I feel like I can do about it, and the shield block nodes I think are really important to help against reflect. With Rumi's Concoction I should get close to block cap, which between that, ~60k armour, and 6 endurance charges will HOPEFULLY keep me from murdering myself to phys reflect with Abyssus considering I don't have Vaal Pact.

So questions: For anyone that has played a crit sword build, is this enough crit to work with, and is this enough armour to deal with Abyssus's drawback? I'm not seeing how you get much more crit chance than this as a non-Assassin with a sword. Also, getting the block nodes and Endurance charges meant dropping some life, since my original iteration of the tree pathed through the life/mana cost reduction nodes near Templar and there's some options to go through Devotion as well for more life. Is 168% life enough (pretend I'm playing in HC even though I don't) or does the extra block chance/endurance charges make up for the missing life? How much does the 15% AoE on the tree matter for Lacerate? I also have the option of going to the right towards Ranger instead, trading 15% AoE, a minor bit of armor and damage, and a Jewel Socket for more life, Precise Interruption, and Finesse. This way has like no int on the tree, though, making Int on jewelry really important.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

yep, uber laby owns.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

panda clue posted:

step 1) enduring cry + immortal call
step 2) enduring cry + discharge
step 3) if enemy not dead, return to step 1

ez game

Can the end charge refill proc off of incoming phys hits even if you're immune with IC? Or do you have to tank at least 1 hit before it triggers

panda clue
May 23, 2014

ndub posted:

Can the end charge refill proc off of incoming phys hits even if you're immune with IC?

yes

:getin:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

There's a difference between "On Hit" and "On Damaging Hit"

Mystery Prize posted:

This is amazing :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYiYHj1ktHw
Some dude figured out how to make a 0 dps perma-stun vacuum cyclone build

That's why Slayer's Overwhelm node got changed from 'Always Stun Enemies that are on Full Life' to 'Your Damaging Hits always Stun Enemies that are on Full Life' this patch.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Bugsy posted:

Daggers work with viper so it will hit with main and then it will hit with offhand. If you had a vagan one hand mace/axe it will work like it does with reave.

Static + Storm Cloud is fantastic for bow leveling. Hell, static plus any bow is good. The jewel slot between duelist and ranger on the way to scion, and the one on the far side of the ranger area are the best places for it.

I used static + Rain of Splinters as a better LMP for elemental siege ballista with iron commander last league. It was fun. Unlike whispering ice which needs as much int as possible, I think the sweet spot for iron commander is 600 dex for 4 totems so you can still get 190% life and enough resists to run coil.

drat, I was gonna go crit trickster (mostly for Shade Form and free Whirling Blades, assassin is probably way better for pure damage) but I'm not sure if I'd have the accuracy to use just Bino's. I guess I could always look for accuracy on gear if it's a problem.

Looks like Iron Commander is pretty cheap but a decent Rain of Splinters will cost quite a bit more, I'll try it out though!

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
So how do these mine builds work?

Does it just let you apply an extra layer of size and area bonuses to something? Does it let you multi-cast spells you can't otherwise multiply? What's the deal?

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 8, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

So how do these mine builds work?

Does it just let you apply an extra layer of size and area bonuses to something? Does it let you multi-cast spells you can't otherwise multiply? What's the deal?

Yeah mines get a lot of extra bonuses over normal spell casts, mainly area/penetration/efficient damage nodes. Remote Mine itself has a very big multiplier on damage and Minefield makes you drop triple mines at once with 21% less damage per mine. They're good entirely because they had the most multiplicative damage modifiers out of any type of spell you could cast.

Basically Traps are good when the massive damage bonus they give lets you oneshot everything, so the trap cooldown is not an issue when running through a map. Mines are the same thing, but do significantly more damage and are more annoying to use.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

all of those gems are 19%... so.. is this thing gonna get nerfed? right now I feel like I'm just printing money non-stop. This seems like it is going to tank the economy once more than a couple of people are able to run uber regularly.

edit: another:

panda clue fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 8, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just came back to the game the other day. Trying out the blade vortex shadow in one of the popular streamers videos. What can I expect to pay for a void battery? Should I even worry about getting one or two initially? Or just work on getting the links for vortex? I'm level 45 now.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
since you can fortify ancestral totems, do they get affected by fortify bonuses from the tree?

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Ultima66 posted:

So questions: For anyone that has played a crit sword build, is this enough crit to work with, and is this enough armour to deal with Abyssus's drawback? I'm not seeing how you get much more crit chance than this as a non-Assassin with a sword. Also, getting the block nodes and Endurance charges meant dropping some life, since my original iteration of the tree pathed through the life/mana cost reduction nodes near Templar and there's some options to go through Devotion as well for more life. Is 168% life enough (pretend I'm playing in HC even though I don't) or does the extra block chance/endurance charges make up for the missing life? How much does the 15% AoE on the tree matter for Lacerate? I also have the option of going to the right towards Ranger instead, trading 15% AoE, a minor bit of armor and damage, and a Jewel Socket for more life, Precise Interruption, and Finesse. This way has like no int on the tree, though, making Int on jewelry really important.

This is pretty similar to one of my favorite builds that I've done throughout the last few hardcore leagues, except with melee splash/double strike as a duelist which didn't need any additional AOE radius so I stayed almost exclusively on the southern part of the tree. Crit is pretty hard to come by, but in my experience the huge multiplier makes it by far the biggest dps boost you can get, especially since you've got a ton of bonus accuracy which is the other concern.

Survivability is actually not that bad if you keep fortify up, use granites, and don't walk face first into gigantic physical attack waves. My deaths have almost never been to physical damage, ironically. It looks like your spec carries enough armor to do alright. I would personally swap out the movement speed for the endurance charge on your ascension, but that may be too much of a HC concern. You're going to be whirling everywhere anyway unless that nerf really killed the skill.

As for the open sockets, I found single target damage a little bit lacking so I used a 4L vaal double strike to drop on bosses. Combined with vaal haste it'll double your dps for however long the duration lasts.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Voxx posted:

since you can fortify ancestral totems, do they get affected by fortify bonuses from the tree?
Don't believe so, the tree says "increased effect of fortify on You".

On that note, my shield charge FB dude loves his ancestral chieftain, that thing wrecks poo poo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

YoungSexualNorton posted:

This is pretty similar to one of my favorite builds that I've done throughout the last few hardcore leagues, except with melee splash/double strike as a duelist which didn't need any additional AOE radius so I stayed almost exclusively on the southern part of the tree. Crit is pretty hard to come by, but in my experience the huge multiplier makes it by far the biggest dps boost you can get, especially since you've got a ton of bonus accuracy which is the other concern.

Survivability is actually not that bad if you keep fortify up, use granites, and don't walk face first into gigantic physical attack waves. My deaths have almost never been to physical damage, ironically. It looks like your spec carries enough armor to do alright. I would personally swap out the movement speed for the endurance charge on your ascension, but that may be too much of a HC concern. You're going to be whirling everywhere anyway unless that nerf really killed the skill.

As for the open sockets, I found single target damage a little bit lacking so I used a 4L vaal double strike to drop on bosses. Combined with vaal haste it'll double your dps for however long the duration lasts.

Use an ancestor totem for your boss killing. Increases your dps directly while doing tons himself.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

panda clue posted:

can confirm. just did uber izaro yesterday on my first try. The regen from two kaom's rings really pushes the build through the roof in terms of survivability, and my damage with 9 charges still feels obscene in t9 maps on a 4 link.

necromancer is fine endgame, dont listen to that guy. it just scales mostly with gem level rather than gear.

I died to uber izaro once cause I couldn't keep charges up, but after being careful the second time I was able to down him in a few hits (all those hours of facerolling content got back to me I guess). I just did a Crematorium map and the boss died in 2 casts of discharge, running 2 doryani's for the ele damage. In uber lab I run 1 doryanis 1 rise of the phoenix for the fire res since his judgement waifu's bombs are fire damage and lagspikes cause me to get hit by them sometimes. The rotp allows me to easily tank them with my kinda low 5k hp (no kaoms items)

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Zotix posted:

Just came back to the game the other day. Trying out the blade vortex shadow in one of the popular streamers videos. What can I expect to pay for a void battery? Should I even worry about getting one or two initially? Or just work on getting the links for vortex? I'm level 45 now.

9ex on PSC right now. http://poe.trade/search/ketanoyosatead Presumably they will drop to a few ex in a few weeks.
You shouldn't worry about it.
Get a wand few wands with spell crit and spell damage to carry you for now.

theshim
May 1, 2012

By the way, for any of us thinking of running discharge juggernaut, is there a good leveling build or guide out there? Would like to do it, but it does not sound like the type of build to level with.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

dis astranagant posted:

Use an ancestor totem for your boss killing. Increases your dps directly while doing tons himself.

Might do both. I didn't run the build in the last league so I haven't tried it out with ascendancy or newer skills factored in. I definitely like vaal double strike though. Watching both yourself and that little clone flap your swords around at light speed is very satisfying.

edit: drat the new unique gladius is perfect for a sword crit build, cheap too. maybe not super top tier endgame but great for starting out

YoungSexualNorton fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 8, 2016

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Anyone have an opinion on whether the new Death's Opus bow is endgame viable? It's only 180 DPS, but 150% global crit multiplier is a lot of crit. It also gives you +2 arrows which is LMP for free with no damage penalty. I'd link to the wiki here but the wiki actually has the stats wrong, you have to go on poetrade to see the real stats. Thinking about doing deadeye tornado shot with poison, and running added chaos where a regular tornado shot build would use GMP in order to boost the base damage up.

J
Jun 10, 2001

How are y'all discharge juggernaut dudes holding up in reflect maps?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

J posted:

you don't.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

theshim posted:

By the way, for any of us thinking of running discharge juggernaut, is there a good leveling build or guide out there? Would like to do it, but it does not sound like the type of build to level with.

I just leveled with firestorm until I finished cruel izaro, then I did hybrid discharge/firestorm until I could get by on just discharge. you can see my current build/gear here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/InventorOfTrees , char BastionPOTG

J posted:

I havent bothered even trying, but I'd imagine it wouldn't go very well, even with the absolute most possible fire res you could have. Probably possible with RotP+purity of fire+fire flask, but painful and annoying.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
also thanks for buffing the build yet again, GGG!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1676133

quote:

The number of targets that Discharge can hit has been increased from 20 to 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Boooooooo.

quote:

Shield Charge now has 20% less area of effect and the maximum distance has been increased from 50 to 60.

And after watching ziggy play vortex I now have zero desire to ever play it.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 8, 2016

• Locked thread