Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
If this is the thing that gets Devos to resign I will lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
There’s a lot of blaming Russia for everything in the air and it deserves some pushback. Maddow in particular is a high profile example and done some really dumb stuff in her going down the Russia rabbit hole.

In the case of the mueller report, we need to actually see what’s in it because, even ignoring any evidence or convictions so far, the source of our current report is about as biased as it gets and saying “STOP WORRYING ABOUT COLLUSION ITS OVER” is very dumb. We know Trump is like the personification of fraud at this point. There’s no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He’s also lazy as gently caress so the idea that there isn’t a smoking gun with his fingerprints all over it connecting him to anything and everything is not implausible either.

Regardless, we should, again, not trust the attorney general who has clearly demonstrated and said that he’s going to cover up the poo poo out of this merf

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

skylined! posted:

Ben Shapiro is melting down on Twitter because an article in the economist labeled him as alt right. It is pretty funny. Also he’s a loving fascist.
i think shapiro is sincere enough in his faith and connection to jewish identity that this actually hurts him cause he's a giant bigoted piece of poo poo whose views are indistinguishable from the alt-lite types who limit their public bigotry to trans people and muslims. they know they can't quite be openly anti-semitic, that's for dumbass street brawling nazis and private discords

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008
Grand Rapids is an interesting place to be tonight as the Orange One graces us with his presence. The giant inflatable Trump baby is already on the streets and the giant American flag they have up in VanAndel arena has... yep, twelve stripes instead of 13. It's been weird to see the grifters come to town selling MAGA garbage on street corners.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Confounding Factor posted:

Barr directly quoted Mueller in his statement: "the evidence does not establish that the President was involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference." Mueller's words, not Barr's. You'd think if Barr were misrepresenting Mueller, Mueller might have something to say about that. That's the guy you've hanged your conspiracy theory on, whom you exalted into some sort of folk hero, for whom you held "hands off Mueller" demos, getting all hard about his military career and how he was going to take Trump to the woodshed. Just accept that you played yourself and move on.

Can't directly quote something you haven't actually read William

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Coelacanthian posted:

Grand Rapids is an interesting place to be

I'm too scared to go to the west side of the state as-is; today would be nightmarish.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Coelacanthian posted:

Grand Rapids is an interesting place to be tonight as the Orange One graces us with his presence. The giant inflatable Trump baby is already on the streets and the giant American flag they have up in VanAndel arena has... yep, twelve stripes instead of 13. It's been weird to see the grifters come to town selling MAGA garbage on street corners.

Ugh, I didn't even realize he was here. Guess I'm staying out in the burbs today.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

it's missing the other half of the quote

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1111364119091912705

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Just a stupid question, but doesn't congress decide if this gets funded or not?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ugato posted:

There’s a lot of blaming Russia for everything in the air and it deserves some pushback. Maddow in particular is a high profile example and done some really dumb stuff in her going down the Russia rabbit hole.

In the case of the mueller report, we need to actually see what’s in it because, even ignoring any evidence or convictions so far, the source of our current report is about as biased as it gets and saying “STOP WORRYING ABOUT COLLUSION ITS OVER” is very dumb. We know Trump is like the personification of fraud at this point. There’s no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He’s also lazy as gently caress so the idea that there isn’t a smoking gun with his fingerprints all over it connecting him to anything and everything is not implausible either.

Regardless, we should, again, not trust the attorney general who has clearly demonstrated and said that he’s going to cover up the poo poo out of this merf

I don't watch Maddow. What did she blame on Russia or report that was wrong/proven false? I get that she's devoted a crazy amount of time to it and there's arguments either way whether it was warranted (or a ratings grab), but what arguments are there against the content of her reporting?

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008

Darko posted:

I'm too scared to go to the west side of the state as-is; today would be nightmarish.

It's weird, there's a big liberal community in Grand Rapids proper but all the white-flighters and Hollanders are streaming in from the burbs. Those of us not going to the rather large protest are hunkering down and drinking through the shame.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
When was the last time Congress even passed a budget as opposed to a CR? This was all a stupid piece of performative cruelty that wouldn't have gone anywhere even under a Republican congress.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Spun Dog posted:

yeah, it was going to be done. Trump is trying to claim credit for overruling Devos before the house overrules Devos.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1111369332448206848

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1111369122628145166

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

When was the last time Congress even passed a budget as opposed to a CR? This was all a stupid piece of performative cruelty that wouldn't have gone anywhere even under a Republican congress.

IIRC Special Olympics defunding was in the last two budget proposals as well. So no a Republican congress didn’t pass it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Spun Dog posted:

congratulations, you officially understand more about this than trump does

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jesus loving hell

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Darko posted:

I make it a rule to not enter the coast of Rapture 2; DeVosLand

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Itll still be cut anyway.

It was never going to get cut, even the Congressional Republicans weren't stupid enough to put that in a budget and the Democrats are in charge of appropriations now so his budget is nothing more than attack ad fodder which is what makes the move so perplexing. Kind of like their decision to not defend the ACA. It makes no sense which is why even Republicans are asking "WTF are they thinking" best case Roberts does as expected and reaffirms that the ACA is constitutional, worst case it does get overturned and we go into an election with a healthcare system in chaos and the Democrats already have a ruling from the SCOTUS (in the original AVA challenge) that says that single payer would totally be Constitutional so you can bet your last dollar that MFA would be the second bill shoved through congress and to the new President's desk.

That's what's so crazy about what they are doing, there's exactly zero political upside to what he's doing. Hell even his base will crumble once they lose their frigging health insurance.

I mean I think that if they could pass those things they would, because I believe that the Right's answer to climate change is to reduce the number of people significantly which is an answer to climate change it's just so loving unbelievably evil that no one would ever admit out loud that that is what they are doing. Which still makes it really weird that they are doing it so openly.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Don't let normalization keep you from realizing how loving racist this is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Flip Yr Wig posted:

No, this is Republicans + Bureaucracy coming together to have unintended consequences

When they proposed getting rid of Meals on Wheels, they didn't realize what they'd done, either. Every department just turned in huge cuts because that's what makes Trump happy, DeVos probably told an underling to get the budget down to X dollars and then that person found what they could

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Nothing in Trump's budget is anything but a value statement. The budget will be written in the house and senate, and they'll get together to hammer out something eventually, then Trump will stomp his feet and either sign it or not.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Edmund Lava posted:

IIRC Special Olympics defunding was in the last two budget proposals as well. So no a Republican congress didn’t pass it.

The Trump theory of politics is that pissing off the libs and having a friendly judiciary is enough to win elections, and is even more important than setting actual policy. This week has been a pretty stark example of that.

theflyingorc posted:

No, this is Republicans + Bureaucracy coming together to have unintended consequences

When they proposed getting rid of Meals on Wheels, they didn't realize what they'd done, either. Every department just turned in huge cuts because that's what makes Trump happy, DeVos probably told an underling to get the budget down to X dollars and then that person found what they could

I would argue that extreme budget cuts are performative cruelty, even if the bureaucrats put on blindfolds while they swing their machetes.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

mod edit: nope

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fake news, ponce de Leon took care of more Puerto Ricans

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Hopefully there was plenty of kafta b'sounieh to dip.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Coelacanthian posted:

the giant American flag they have up in VanAndel arena has... yep, twelve stripes instead of 13.

What's this now?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This Devos thing makes me laugh because she was not going to get to do those cuts anyway since Dems control the house, but regardless she put out a statement in defense of the cuts yesterday

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1111371723893436416

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1111370017734561793

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1111373353091125264

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 28, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I've come all the way around to just loving this man's Martian use of superlatives and syntactic construction. Like this is a perfect example of it, but also let's not forget the phone-call transcript with his quote " I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country." Dude should have been 25thed for that sentence alone

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1111369310369398785

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've come all the way around to just loving this man's Martian use of superlatives and syntactic construction. Like this is a perfect example of it, but also let's not forget the phone-call transcript with his quote " I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country." Dude should have been 25thed for that sentence alone

I'm genuinely worried that he's done lasting damage to the grammatical structure of political discourse in this country (and to my own). Sad!

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skex posted:

No Barr says that he directly quoted Mueller in his statement, a quote that was taken out of of context (a thing we know because at least one of the quotes starts from the middle of a sentence.
When Mueller comes out and says, "Barr misrepresented me," you might have a point. Right now it's pure desperation. Why put yourself through this torture any longer?

quote:

I also note that you are ignoring the part where it says that it did not exonerate the President either.
Which... gives you what exactly? Are you unfamiliar with the basic way the US judicial system works?

quote:

Also I barely trust Mueller either, I have a little bit of hope that he's not completely corrupt based on how he ran the investigation which had way too many convictions and pleas to be a cover-up.
Wow, quite a deflation. He went from being the savior of democracy to being hopefully not completely corrupt. Ouch.

quote:

Finally we're talking about William I covered up Iran/Contra Barr I'm not taking his loving word on anything and anyone who does is a Fash or a Fash sympathizer.
You just took his word on the "does not exonerate him" bit so I guess you're polishing up your jackboots now? Regardless, continuing to bang your head against the dead end of Russiagate only helps Trump. That proves that you are in fact a Trump operative.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I love when trump speaks in headlines because it always works.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is a really dumb loving question, but what the gently caress is even the given reason for him having a rally right now? There aren't any elections for months. Does Bigly boy just really need attention this week?

Like try loving doing something besides rallies and golf you stupid worthless fat gently caress

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Confounding Factor posted:

When Mueller comes out and says, "Barr misrepresented me," you might have a point. Right now it's pure desperation. Why put yourself through this torture any longer?

Which... gives you what exactly? Are you unfamiliar with the basic way the US judicial system works?

Wow, quite a deflation. He went from being the savior of democracy to being hopefully not completely corrupt. Ouch.

You just took his word on the "does not exonerate him" bit so I guess you're polishing up your jackboots now? Regardless, continuing to bang your head against the dead end of Russiagate only helps Trump. That proves that you are in fact a Trump operative.

Why would a lawyer quote two half sentences in a legal document as evidence of something? What reason would he have to leave out the first half?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

This is a really dumb loving question, but what the gently caress is even the given reason for him having a rally right now? There aren't any elections for months. Does Bigly boy just really need attention this week?

Like try loving doing something besides rallies and golf you stupid worthless fat gently caress

He's been having rallies since January 2017 :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It allows him to take a victory lap. That's it.