Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm eating less, can confirm: it sucks rear end. I have no reason to, but i want abs when i get my hood in may. Gonna be a Master of ABS.

Deadlifting for the first time in almost 2 months...
Went well. Only did 225 because i didn't wanna push it, but did it for reps.
Then i grabbed some weights to do core and i felt a twinge in my back.

I put the weights down and took a shower.

gotta power through that with more deadlifts buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I pulled 413lbs for a set of 11 today. Hopefully next week i smash through my plateau with 435 for 9.

Also tried heavy paused defecit deadlifts too. My new favourite accessory i think.

Deadlift lyf

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 7, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

nooneofconsequence posted:

gotta power through that with more deadlifts buddy

Yeaaaah that's how injury #1 happened.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The shoulder injury that gave me near constant pain for 9 months... is back. Sort of. It feels like it did when it started out.

Have I learned my lesson that trying to train around it only makes things worse (9 months worse)? We'll see. I'm bored and eating a lot so training might be the lesser of two evils.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

sassassin posted:

The shoulder injury that gave me near constant pain for 9 months... is back.

The human shoulder is some bullshit.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I've gone back to sub-60-second rest periods between sets and woooooooof the burn/pump is glorious my dudes and dudettes

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

sassassin posted:

The shoulder injury that gave me near constant pain for 9 months... is back. Sort of. It feels like it did when it started out.

Have I learned my lesson that trying to train around it only makes things worse (9 months worse)? We'll see. I'm bored and eating a lot so training might be the lesser of two evils.

go see an expensive sports physio and do exactly what he says youre setting your self up for major trouble

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

just get it scoped and take a week off

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

My mate who's training to be a rock climbing instructor taught me how to belay today. Climbing is so cool but so awkward to fit in with lifting!

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
You could do casual climbing on your off days no problem I'd think. You'll have some bomb forearms too.

And if you're jacked, screw technique.... just scale the wall with your arms.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fallows posted:

go see an expensive sports physio and do exactly what he says youre setting your self up for major trouble

I'm taking ibuprofen and have only been to the gym once this week (a light-ish rows day which felt okay).

I think what set it off was 3 v. good pressing sessions in 8/9 days, while I was taking time off from any pulling so that my smashed finger could heal. Bit of inflammation in the joint which last time I just didn't let go down so it got worse and worse.

The last nhs physio I went to (for a neck issue where I couldn't turn my head in the mornings) was fine as hell and she gave me a few unnecessary gropes so I might get a referral just for fun.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Does it hurt when doing vertical or horizontal pressing or both?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's more of a constant tension/feeling that the joint isn't quite set in place.

A little pain when deadlifting and some shooting pains down to my elbow when opening a shower door. Last time it probably took a month to escalate to a persistent ache, because I kept doing things that didn't hurt (pressing, squatting with a narrow grip, driving) but still aggravated the joint.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hell yeah down to pre vacation weight

i miss white bread

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

TenementFunster posted:

i miss white bread

my mind recoils in horror after 5-7 days without any sort of white baked carbs

I MUST HAVE IT!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Chinatown posted:

my mind recoils in horror after 5-7 days without any sort of white baked carbs

I MUST HAVE IT!
i ate like three packages worth of Kings Hawaiian rolls that week. it was fantastic.

also the only other rear end in a top hat in the gym right now isn’t wearing headphones and gently caress him if he thinks i ain’t gonna rip and tear rear end regardless

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if u rip rear end in a room full of Beats by Dre wearers, does it make a sound?

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

I'm taking ibuprofen and have only been to the gym once this week (a light-ish rows day which felt okay).

I think what set it off was 3 v. good pressing sessions in 8/9 days, while I was taking time off from any pulling so that my smashed finger could heal. Bit of inflammation in the joint which last time I just didn't let go down so it got worse and worse.

The last nhs physio I went to (for a neck issue where I couldn't turn my head in the mornings) was fine as hell and she gave me a few unnecessary gropes so I might get a referral just for fun.
I saw a physical therapist about my elbow the other day. She told me that taking ibuprofen for swelling was pointless unless you take 1800mg a day for 10 days straight to reach a therapeutic level in your body and at that point it's not great for you liver. Its okay to take for pain management when needed though. This was a surprise as I have never heard you needed that much for that long.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The effects of NSAIDs are temporary, chronic overuse injuries like tendonitis are the body going overboard trying to heal you. Knocking the swelling down a little for 4-6 hours isn't going to do much. Mainlining anti inflammatories for a few days suppress the over inflammation long enough to get the blood flowing to the joint area again and start healing.

1800mg a day for 10 days seems like a bit hard on the stomach. I've heard 3200mg/day for five days. Which while is more per day but is a shorter exposure and less overall.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I had a prescription for proper anti inflammatories before but I don't remember them making much of a difference.

Nothing improved until I went 8 weeks no lifting, no driving, no reaching into cupboard, sleeping with my arm pinned to my side. Hopefully I don't let it get that bad this time.

Annoying as my press just hit a steady 80 and my bench is back near my all time pre-shoulder issue max without really training it. I was excited to try.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I took my final set of dirty gym clothes home last night.

I forgot to bring a clean set today :negative:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
injury talk: I need to get my shoulder looked at too. I feel like I've had a repetitive stress injury to my rotator cuff since January from, of all loving things, waxing my car

I started lifting with any kind of actual frequency in June and anything prior was so sporadic it might has well have been non existent; even so, the discomfort didn't go away with inactivity

Every limited movement, every twinge I feel in a dip, fly, incline press or a seated row, and I'm just like, I HAD to wax my fuckin car that day. I don't even own it anymore.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

ElectricSheep posted:

injury talk: I need to get my shoulder looked at too. I feel like I've had a repetitive stress injury to my rotator cuff since January from, of all loving things, waxing my car

I started lifting with any kind of actual frequency in June and anything prior was so sporadic it might has well have been non existent; even so, the discomfort didn't go away with inactivity

Every limited movement, every twinge I feel in a dip, fly, incline press or a seated row, and I'm just like, I HAD to wax my fuckin car that day. I don't even own it anymore.

I got rotator cuff tendinitis from - of all things - paddling myself around the lazy river on my honeymoon. What a stupid injury. It was persistent and obnoxious until I got serious about using a lacrosse ball on my shoulder day in, day out for like 2 straight weeks while not doing ANYTHING overhead.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

ElectricSheep posted:

I was a detailer for almost 5 years and had to quit because of how hard it is on your shoulders ;(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I took my final set of dirty gym clothes home last night.

I forgot to bring a clean set today :negative:

I've definitely been the guy doing deadlifts in jeans and loafers once or twice due to this. Haters to the left.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'll just go tonight. All the kids will be out partying.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Party pro-tip: Get a gym sesh in first. You'll get drunk faster and your sick bicep pump will draw the gaze all the ladies/gentlemen.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Umbilical hernia being repaired on Wednesday, last minute end of the year decision. It's preemptive and there's no pain yet, but with outpatient surgery I'm looking at a week with no running and four weeks with no lifting. That leaves me enough time to wrap up my 5/3/1 cycle for OHP and deadlift, not enough proper rest to do the others.

It's a little sad knowing that my last bench press of the year has already passed and <sniffle> I didn't even know it. :cry:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

sassassin posted:

Party pro-tip: Get a gym sesh in first. You'll get drunk faster and your sick bicep pump will draw the gaze all the ladies/gentlemen.

Lifting at 7am before I go into work is the closest thing to a party in my life these days.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Livin' the swole life

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I got in to the gym a couple hours late today and ran into all the weirdos I try to avoid. There were some rancid smelling people in there.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I hurt my arm doing an arm wrestle so I gotta put my gains on hold for a couple of days.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I got in to the gym a couple hours late today and ran into all the weirdos I try to avoid. There were some rancid smelling people in there.

qft, i did the same today and someone smelled like literal rear end

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Charles Mansion posted:

Livin' the swole life

Synthol? Photoshop? or both?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

If my arms are big I will be admired. It does not matter how my arms become big or how they look. My bigness is perfection.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bakalakadaka posted:

If my arms are big I will be admired. It does not matter how my arms become big or how they look. My bigness is perfection.

I must win ALL of the prize

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bakalakadaka posted:

It's not about being admired. Any form of attention is fine.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Fallows posted:

Synthol? Photoshop? or both?

I'm going with Photoshop unless that shirt is made out of magic

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
that haircut is fresh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Chinatown posted:

that haircut is fresh

I was thinkin this unironically