Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I mean, they've been teasing Dazzler being immortal for some reason since 1987, even brought it up again in A Force but we still don't know wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Onmi posted:

It's one of those things you kind of can't never mention. I mean... you can, but then you either have to retire the character (HA!) or hope no one ever asks what the gently caress about the elephant drilling a plot hole in the room. Well... I mean you can reset the universe. But that's cheating, you can't just reset the universe when you write yourself into a corner.
Sure you can. Just never resolve it and leave the book when you've finished your run. Dangling plot threads are nothing new to comic books. Someone would maybe pick it up 10 or 20 years later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You obviously can, but you shouldn't with a change to a character's whole identity like that.

Before the movies Thor was known for 2 things: Speaking weird and his magic hammer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Onmi posted:

It's one of those things you kind of can't never mention. I mean... you can, but then you either have to retire the character (HA!) or hope no one ever asks what the gently caress about the elephant drilling a plot hole in the room. Well... I mean you can reset the universe. But that's cheating, you can't just reset the universe when you write yourself into a corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_WbLXBVs6M

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

To me it was just that no one seemed in-character. Kamala was this nagging Hermione-type who got angry at the idea that she could be a nagging Hermione-type. Amadeus was a 'roidy meathead who made an unironic comparison between Cyclops and Hitler. Viv was, yeah, an emotionless beep-booper. They spend half the issue on the team introducing their powers to each other despite the fact that three of them were already on the same team before. And what the frick was that page on "micro-aggression" about? Does Waid know what that word means?

I honestly think between the "microaggression" thing and "finally woke" Waid has become that middle aged guy who's trying to sound like the hip young-uns with their slang and their skateboards and their MTVs.

Also there was Nova giving two contradicting views on Cyclops joining the team in the same panel. I can see him being opposed to Scott joining since he was the only one who actually encountered Phoenix Scott, but then in the very same panel he adds in that whole "guys didn't we just fight a war over the evils of predictive judgement?" thing.
I get the feeling they don't really know what they want to do with anyone in this book at this point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SilverSupernova posted:

I honestly think between the "microaggression" thing and "finally woke" Waid has become that middle aged guy who's trying to sound like the hip young-uns with their slang and their skateboards and their MTVs.

Also there was Nova giving two contradicting views on Cyclops joining the team in the same panel. I can see him being opposed to Scott joining since he was the only one who actually encountered Phoenix Scott, but then in the very same panel he adds in that whole "guys didn't we just fight a war over the evils of predictive judgement?" thing.
I get the feeling they don't really know what they want to do with anyone in this book at this point.

Champions is basically "How do you do fellow kids" in book form. It's everything I didn't want out of the book. What I wanted was fun adventures, what I got was cringy dialog, human traffickers and being lectured. I'm giving it one more issue, which I feel is one more than I should give it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Between All New Ultimates and now Champions I just don't think Marvel can do teen group books very well.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

irlZaphod posted:

Sure you can. Just never resolve it and leave the book when you've finished your run. Dangling plot threads are nothing new to comic books. Someone would maybe pick it up 10 or 20 years later.

This is exactly why I WANT him to officially say what it was, because of the odds that some chucklefuck is gonna come along and make it really goddamn stupid, and then that's gonna be canon. I have to believe this is some long game poo poo and Marvel is more than happy to give Aaron "Hickman Avengers" level of "yeah man, tell the story you want to". Though if not for this I'd be fine with it being like Marcellus Wallace's briefcase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aaron said when he did Original Sin that he fully intended to reveal what Fury whispered, but Secret Wars kind of threw off the planned reveal.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Diet Poison posted:

This is exactly why I WANT him to officially say what it was, because of the odds that some chucklefuck is gonna come along and make it really goddamn stupid, and then that's gonna be canon. I have to believe this is some long game poo poo and Marvel is more than happy to give Aaron "Hickman Avengers" level of "yeah man, tell the story you want to". Though if not for this I'd be fine with it being like Marcellus Wallace's briefcase.

I mean the question remains though, what could possibly be a not dumb explanation, as brought up in Illuminated Wars

What could he possibly have ever done to make him not worthy? And how does him knowing it make him not worthy instead of Mjolnir knowing he simply isn't? Worthiness is a state of mind?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"editorial says you have to go"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"You are not worthy"

"...Well poo poo."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
...When did Thor murder hundreds of women?

edit: wait, who is that supposed to be, anyway?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gwenpool will have to explain the power of the editorial department.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

redbackground posted:

...When did Thor murder hundreds of women?

edit: wait, who is that supposed to be, anyway?

I think it's an alt-universe Thor, another Thor got told that whispering something would strip a Thor of worthiness, but only whispering. So this Alternate Thor is basically. "What the gently caress? I've done AWFUL things! How is that able to make me not worthy?" Short answer "Worthiness is weird like that."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Hey Thor, have you seen updog?"

"Nay. What is...updog?"

*Whisper* "Nothing much, what's going on with you?"

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

My theory is that it was Mjölnir learning the secret that caused Thor to become unworthy, since Mighty Thor has revealed the hammer is sentient. Granted, why this secret didn't come up in it's normal, magical worthiness test is still a mystery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's possible that Fury woke the hammer up and Thor's never been unworthy.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wow Unworthy Thor #1 is Aaron's 50th issue of Thor.

I just caught up today having read God of Thunder awhile ago and using Marvel Unlimited to binge read Thor, Thors, and Mighty Thor before buying the most recent issues.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe Mjolnir just likes the ladies more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OhFunny posted:

Wow Unworthy Thor #1 is Aaron's 50th issue of Thor.

That's awesome. I do wish he'd gotten the chance to do his last "season" of Wolverine though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

An unworthy says what?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It's possible that Fury woke the hammer up and Thor's never been unworthy.

I kinda like that idea. It totally fits with the latest issue/arc of Mighty Thor revealing that Mjolnir is sentient and basically acting of its own accord.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I kinda like that idea. It totally fits with the latest issue/arc of Mighty Thor revealing that Mjolnir is sentient and basically acting of its own accord.

I kind of want to dig through every Aaron interview and see if he ever explicitly says that Fury was whispering to Thor.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

I kind of want to dig through every Aaron interview and see if he ever explicitly says that Fury was whispering to Thor.

Well in the letter Aaron wrote in back of unworthy he says "As I said when Thor odinson was first felled by a still-mysterious whisper (What DID Nick fury say to him anyway? Hmmm...)"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Well in the letter Aaron wrote in back of unworthy he says "As I said when Thor odinson was first felled by a still-mysterious whisper (What DID Nick fury say to him anyway? Hmmm...)"

Ah fooey, missed that. Maybe we'll get a panel of the Unseen saying "who said I was talking to Thor?"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I also, personally, don't want Aaron to have the out of simply leaving the plot thread unresolved. The fact is he wrote this, he steered the ship, he put the pen to paper. Whether his explanation is good or not is entirely on his shoulders.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://deadline.com/2016/11/big-hero-6-maya-rudolph-jamie-chung-reprise-roles-disney-xd-animated-series-1201847587/

The majority of the Big Hero 6 cast will reprise their roles in the series coming to Disney XD next year, with Khary Payton (Cyborg) replacing Damon Wayans as Wasabi and Brooks Wheelan (a standup who was on SNL from 13-14) relacing TJ Miller as Fred.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

In a move that shocked... no one. Seriously raise your hands if this shocked you, it appears that Solo is dead before Issue #2 comes out, "Vol 1" was taken off the trade in amazon, which is what happened to Black Knight, Howling Commandos Of SHIELD, and Angela. The only book this happened to that wasn't cancelled was Moon Girl, I figure that was mostly due to it being an all-ages title.

Turns out nobody really gives a poo poo about Solo. In fact I am almost certain that beyond my directly mentioning him in this post, the fact that Solo existed was something your minds had wiped over, if you even know who he is to begin with.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Onmi posted:

In a move that shocked... no one. Seriously raise your hands if this shocked you, it appears that Solo is dead before Issue #2 comes out, "Vol 1" was taken off the trade in amazon, which is what happened to Black Knight, Howling Commandos Of SHIELD, and Angela. The only book this happened to that wasn't cancelled was Moon Girl, I figure that was mostly due to it being an all-ages title.

Turns out nobody really gives a poo poo about Solo. In fact I am almost certain that beyond my directly mentioning him in this post, the fact that Solo existed was something your minds had wiped over, if you even know who he is to begin with.

I remember a lot of green and brown pouches and vests.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't really care that books like Black Knight, Hyperion, Red Wolf, Nighthawk or now Solo get cancelled and end up being minis. I like that Marvel is giving them a chance to have a series in the first place and I hope they continue to do that. I like having stories from these lesser known characters and eventually one or two of them will probably turn out to be popular if they keep giving them a chance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Absolutely shocked by this news

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I've changed my mind

Champions doesn't even get to have it's issue 3. No way in hell that issue is going to be handled well. All I wanted was fun adventures, like the Marvel Adventures books, only in the main comic. I have no faith in Mark Waid to handle this well at all. If I am wrong, good, I will be glad to be wrong, but I'll be waiting for someone else to bite this bullet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

I don't really care that books like Black Knight, Hyperion, Red Wolf, Nighthawk or now Solo get cancelled and end up being minis. I like that Marvel is giving them a chance to have a series in the first place and I hope they continue to do that. I like having stories from these lesser known characters and eventually one or two of them will probably turn out to be popular if they keep giving them a chance.

Why aren't they just intended as mini's in the first place? If they do gangbusters, consider an ongoing. If not, oh well.

Look at the history of Marvel's A-list and B-list characters. There's no one way these things happen. They all have varied publication experiments and successes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

I remember a lot of green and brown pouches and vests.

I honestly thought he was talking about the Han Solo book.

Angela should be in an Avengers team, it's not like there isn't enough of them currently.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobok posted:

Why aren't they just intended as mini's in the first place? If they do gangbusters, consider an ongoing. If not, oh well.

Look at the history of Marvel's A-list and B-list characters. There's no one way these things happen. They all have varied publication experiments and successes.

That's what happened with Mercs For Money. It was a mini then did really well people responded to the characters then they spun them off into these solo books and now they're not doing so well. Meanwhile the Mercs for Money book got turned into an ongoing with a whole new cast and it's still really good so far. I don't think anyone expected Solo, Foolkiller, and Slapstick to be have super popular ongoings, but it was worth a shot to try something new.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wow was Champions #2 nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe.

Edit - Holy poo poo, this last page

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

champions 2 is ok but kinda disappointing because I like a lot of those characters in other books but not so much here, plus teen hulk sucks

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I actually kinda like Cho Hulk, his solo has been fairly entertaining. I don't really mind him being portrayed as kinda a douche like he is in Champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never liked cho hulk and he's worse here than normal so his inclusion is a negative for me

• Locked thread