Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mr Dog posted:

protip for full disk encryption: go into the BIOS and set an ATA password

assuming you use an ssd in your laptop of course and if you're not then jfc what the gently caress are you even doing with your life

lol if you still have a BIOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

theadder posted:

was this 1 or 2

2, mac was running 10.8, they tried to upgrade to 10.10

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

protip for full disk encryption: go into the BIOS and set an ATA password

bios lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

You Am I posted:

2, mac was running 10.8, they tried to upgrade to 10.10

dont skip mavericks use time capsule thx all

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

don't use hard drive encryption on a personal (non work) machine, it is stupid. dealing with a Mac which has File Vault on it and got broken as gently caress when the client upgraded her OSX

always use FDE and strong passwords, even on personal machines

not only does it protect your data, but it protects everyone your data refers to, and helps disincentivize computer theft as a way to steal information, which benefits everyone

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Find My iPhone should be turned on by default for exactly that reason.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

always use FDE and strong passwords, even on personal machines

not only does it protect your data, but it protects everyone your data refers to, and helps disincentivize computer theft as a way to steal information, which benefits everyone

this but do not own or operate any computers

computer theft will not be a problem when there are no computers to be stolen

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

lol if you still have a BIOS

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

i kind of want to be able to define specific window stacks that are then treated like one window. like, three windows and when they're all positioned/sized relative to each other i can lock them and then drag the whole shebang around if need be

this happens with eclipse on a mac

and by happens i mean moving a windows ancestor also moves that window XD

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yeah pretty sure there's a difference between "designed feature" and "that happens"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

if everyone has computer this no happen

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duTrieux. posted:

i kind of want to be able to define specific window stacks that are then treated like one window. like, three windows and when they're all positioned/sized relative to each other i can lock them and then drag the whole shebang around if need be

this is something webOS had that I really wish ios or android would steal. stacks made it easy to group work in a way that made sense and made task management simpler

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Virion posted:

this is something webOS had that I really wish ios or android would steal. stacks made it easy to group work in a way that made sense and made task management simpler

:rip: webos

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

bitlocker on your domain allows you to recover the keys easily when the user invariably fucks something up. pro as heck, good jorb stevie b

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

bitlocker on your domain allows you to recover the keys easily when the user invariably fucks something up. pro as heck, good jorb stevie b

i wonder if anyone actually does microsoft's password collusion best practice for this (two higher-ups each have half the recovery password)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

duTrieux. posted:

yeah pretty sure there's a difference between "designed feature" and "eclipse"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

univbee posted:

i wonder if anyone actually does microsoft's password collusion best practice for this (two higher-ups each have half the recovery password)

probably, except each one keeps their half written in red marker on a sticky note on the outside of their desk, right next to a series of sticky notes with usage instructions scrawled out by some poor cj

the last sticky has a suicide note written on the back. no one will ever notice until long, long after the cj goes missing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

probably, except each one keeps their half written in red marker on a sticky note on the outside of their desk, right next to a series of sticky notes with usage instructions scrawled out by some poor cj

the last sticky has a suicide note written on the back. no one will ever notice until long, long after the cj goes missing

ahh yes, i got a question about the suicide note on my exam

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

microsoft certified suicide expert

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Captain Foo posted:

so, a sharepoint consultant?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Captain Foo posted:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
nobody ever got fired for going microsoft, but some of them are not with the living anymore if you catch my drift

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
happy o say im now using the words most advance OS, windowns 10

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Hello from Seattle

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

so you haven't answered the question we're all dying to know:

is the copy of word 95 or 97 that you installed compatible?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

infernal machines posted:

so, a sharepoint consultant?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think i would keep sending frowns on bing.com

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
and my posting

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
hello yospos microsoft thread

i wanted to share a lil experience i had the other day with microsoft office autoupdater on os x yosemite

i installed the new outlook for mac which prompted autoupdater to pop up and suggest i let it do its thing automatically to which i said yes. it then started to download a lync update which grabbed screen focus every 3 seconds so that i couldn't do anything on my macbook pro while it downloaded, very frustrating.

when the lync update installer opened the autoupdater window appeared in front of it, prompting me to download the same lync update i had just downloaded. no matter what i did, this prompt kept reappearing and prevented me from installing lync - force quitting the updater just made the updater window close and reappear a second later.

another microsoft experience: i once got the opportunity to cj an azure server to federate as an identity provider or w/e with some other third party services so people could use sso - turns out azure is really, really bad at doing sso with things like netsuite openair or successfactors. ms support suggested using a thing where you manually enter every user's login and password for each web service you want to sso with.

welp, thanks for reading :sweatdrop:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

you forgot the part where it kills Dock.app for no reason*.

*the reason is so it can spam all of the office icons into the dock, but it only does that on the first install.

also for your federation issue id be inclined to blame OpenAir as much as azure - OpenAir is goddamn trash and I hate it (though I only use it for expense reporting and requesting PTO)

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

minivanmegafun posted:

you forgot the part where it kills Dock.app for no reason*.

*the reason is so it can spam all of the office icons into the dock, but it only does that on the first install.

also for your federation issue id be inclined to blame OpenAir as much as azure - OpenAir is goddamn trash and I hate it (though I only use it for expense reporting and requesting PTO)

it didnt kill dock.app for me tho

but openair is garbage poo poo, agreed

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i only even use office op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lol when i installed outlook 2015 or w/e they had a link saying i should remove outlook 2011 and i figure there must be incompatibilities because lol ms but all it told me was to remove the icon from the dock

lol ms

• Locked thread