Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Me (30sF) with my sister (30sF)-She terminated a pregnancy because of Down's Syndrome, asked me how I felt about her decision, got mad when I told her.Non-Romantic

quote:

So my younger sister recently terminated a pregnancy at 14 weeks because the fetus came back positive for Trisomy 21 (Down's Syndrome).

I am decidedly pro-choice on such matters and I told her from the beginning that it was her body, her marriage, her life, and her choice. I reminded her that I was her sister and I love her no matter what and I would do whatever she needed me to do to support her while she was going through this. That was, initially, all I wanted to say on the matter because I knew she would not particularly like what I had to say if I went deeper with my feelings on the matter. I spent a lot of time letting her talk about her feelings and decisions, I waited with her husband while she was having the procedure, I stayed with her whenever he worked for the first few days and helped make sure she was taken care of--kept the house clean, made sure she was eating and the kids were taken care of, etc.

About a week or so after the procedure, she asked me what I thought of her decision. At first, I told her that what I thought was not relevant at all and that she was my sister and I still loved her and always would and would support her in any decision she thoughtfully made. She pushed a little more, and I told her that I did not think she would like what I had to say about my actual feelings on the issue--because, while I am 100% pro-choice, I feel like terminating a pregnancy only due to Down's Syndrome is selfish. However, as it is not my situation, my actual feelings on the matter are irrelevant.

But she kept pushing and I finally told her what I thought. I made sure to let her know that I was not calling her selfish, but that I did feel that terminating a pregnancy due to Down's Syndrome was selfish--it is not like some of the other trisomies or birth defects that are "incompatible with life". I also reiterated the fact that my opinion absolutely did not matter because it was not my situation and that I did not think less of her because of the choice she made.

She reacted pretty much like I expected, she took my words much harder than they were intended and has refused to speak to me since. I know she's still grieving and processing the whole horrible situation, which is why I did not want to tell her my actual feelings on the matter. I have been giving her space but I also don't know how to proceed here...I did not want to upset her and I want to remind her that I do still love her no matter what, just like I said in the beginning of this process. What can I do to help mend this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

maskenfreiheit posted:

Me (30sF) with my sister (30sF)-She terminated a pregnancy because of Down's Syndrome, asked me how I felt about her decision, got mad when I told her.Non-Romantic
Apparently it's really hard to have some loving tact when your sibling comes to you with a question like that.

Also :laffo: at the "it's not incompatible with life, so what's the big deal?" reasoning.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

maskenfreiheit posted:

Raising a disabled child is difficult and a more intensive commitment than raising a healthy child and I don't blame people for thinking about it and making that decision for themselves during the pregnancy. That's a different thing than an institutional push to eliminate disabled people. I don't get how that's so hard for people to understand.

Also probably more parents would be willing to raise a child with a genetic disorder if health care was better but that's an entirely different thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You live with your parents and have a taxidermy collection?

I don't live with them, but my taxidermy collection is massive, way too big for my apartment.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

I don't live with them, but my taxidermy collection is massive, way too big for my apartment.
You should buy a castle to match your taxidermy collection.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

This is a really tricky one. However, there is absolutely a "soft eugenics" push in Western nations right now that is founded on a tremendous number of questionable values that are never really evaluated for their validity.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pick posted:

If you’re unable to pursue your hobby in space you can reasonably claim as yours, your hobby is too much for your income.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VanSandman posted:

If you’re unable to pursue your hobby in space you can reasonably claim as yours, your hobby is too much for your income.

It's not a hobby.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VanSandman posted:

Yeah but let’s not underestimate passion for taxidermy. :shrug:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

This is a really tricky one. However, there is absolutely a "soft eugenics" push in Western nations right now that is founded on a tremendous number of questionable values that are never really evaluated for their validity.
Yeah. Like again, I think it's okay for people to decide they wouldn't be able to handle that aspect of parenting, but I think the current state of health care in the USA specifically combined with people being pressured towards aborting 'non-ideal' fetuses is a problem. I just don't think the solution is to pressure people to keep kids they don't want to care for because that has a way of ending super badly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

It's not a hobby.

Yeah, It's a mean of disposing of victims.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

VanSandman posted:

From what I've heard, Portland's housing market is going bugfuck. What counts as reasonable gets weird in housing bubble areas.

(Still shouldn't keep more stuff than you can store in your own space, though. That way lies hoarderdom and storage units full of junk you haven't touched in years.)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

there's a big gulf between full blown eugenics and a woman detecting and aborting defective children.

it's important to support a woman's right to choose.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

Yeah. Like again, I think it's okay for people to decide they wouldn't be able to handle that aspect of parenting, but I think the current state of health care in the USA specifically combined with people being pressured towards aborting 'non-ideal' fetuses is a problem. I just don't think the solution is to pressure people to keep kids they don't want to care for because that has a way of ending super badly.

I think that the health care concern is very real. However, what is a person "for"? To be honest, we already have a lot more people than jobs that genuinely need doing. And frankly, depending on severity, a Down's syndrome person is able to do some of the jobs that still need doing, more than there are Down's syndrome people. My dentist has a dental technician with Down's and he does a very thorough job, way better than others I've had in the past. So a person doesn't need "work" as their primary purpose for existing, and many disabled people can do the jobs that exist. Then what is a person for? I would argue diversity of the human experience improves the overall merit of humanity. I think it's a big mistake to put on your 1950s pants and proclaim that future humans should all be 6' blonde women with suspiciously bomb rear end titties and weasley little engineers adhered, anglerfish-like, to the former's labial folds.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pick posted:

It's not a hobby.

I like you.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PetraCore posted:

The US if anything doesn't abort enough fetuses, what are you talking about? How many cases have we seen in this thread of problems that would have been solved with abortion?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

there's a big gulf between full blown eugenics and a woman detecting and aborting defective children.

it's important to support a woman's right to choose.

What's a "defective" child? Is a Down's syndrome child inherently defective, if they can work, feel and express emotion, and reproduce? (They're not all infertile.)

What makes you less defective than my dental hygienist?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm defective as gently caress please abort.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

What's a "defective" child? Is a Down's syndrome child inherently defective, if they can work, feel and express emotion, and reproduce? (They're not all infertile.)

It’s like when the bebby comes out and the doctor be all like “aw heeelllllllll naw put it back in put it back noooo” :barf: :baby:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't like to tug my own weewee here but I actually go to that dentist because I heard he gives employment to people who are not often given a chance for reasons completely outside their control, despite being entirely competent to do the work.

I mean you can abort all you want, but that's a personal decision that seems to rely more on how the child is treated by intolerant assholes than who they have the capacity to be.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The US if anything doesn't abort enough fetuses, what are you talking about? How many cases have we seen in this thread of problems that would have been solved with abortion?
Right. In the USA in specific there's very real political movements about all abortion whatsoever casting you into eternal hellfire, to the point that people have to clarify 'unless it was rape' or 'unless it'd be fatal for the mother to carry to term', as if the morality aborting a baby that's literally killing you shouldn't be self-evident anyway, and to the point where plenty of people feel pressured to carry to term non-viable fetuses who will live for like, a few hours tops once removed from maternal life-support, and that probably in a good deal of pain.

But in a weird double-bind, there's plenty of people who think abortion is super-bad unless the fetus is someone they don't consider a person anyway, like a disabled person or a brown person or whatever. The history of forced sterilization of minorities in the USA is pretty chilling. EDIT: And like, the attitude that the 'wrong kind of person' shouldn't have kids has never gone away even if overt eugenics is not socially acceptable. Look at the people who think poor people shouldn't have kids.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 19, 2017

Embittered
Dec 8, 2009

Pick posted:

They're gonna work as indentured services in minimum wage jobs, unless their parents can pay for life time care. Currently in the U.S. our adult services aren't nearly up to par, and there is zero motivation to better fund or overhaul the current system.

And again, women can abort for any reason at the moment. It doesn't matter why.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Embittered posted:

They're gonna work as indentured services in minimum wage jobs, unless their parents can pay for life time care. Currently in the U.S. our adult services aren't nearly up to par, and there is zero motivation to better fund or overhaul the current system.

There are plenty of poor people, globally and in the USA, who are in exactly the same bind for non-genetic reasons. Should they be discouraged from reproducing compared to those of dynastic wealth and limitless opportunity such as the Romneys?

Embittered
Dec 8, 2009

PetraCore posted:

Right. In the USA in specific there's very real political movements about all abortion whatsoever casting you into eternal hellfire, to the point that people have to clarify 'unless it was rape' or 'unless it'd be fatal for the mother to carry to term', as if the morality aborting a baby that's literally killing you shouldn't be self-evident anyway, and to the point where plenty of people feel pressured to carry to term non-viable fetuses who will live for like, a few hours tops once removed from maternal life-support, and that probably in a good deal of pain.

But in a weird double-bind, there's plenty of people who think abortion is super-bad unless the fetus is someone they don't consider a person anyway, like a disabled person or a brown person or whatever. The history of forced sterilization of minorities in the USA is pretty chilling. EDIT: And like, the attitude that the 'wrong kind of person' shouldn't have kids has never gone away even if overt eugenics is not socially acceptable. Look at the people who think poor people shouldn't have kids.

The issue is people want to ban abortions, but don't want to pay the cost for children to have a decent quality of life.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Embittered posted:

The issue is people want to ban abortions, but don't want to pay the cost for children to have a decent quality of life.
Ding ding ding! And a lot of pro-life people don't want to provide good sex education or access to contraceptives, either. I can respect someone who is pro-life but supports easy access to contraceptives and state-subsidized child care, but that's actually super rare.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If the doctor could confirm that my child would grow up to through temper tantrums as an adult about free chicken nugget sauce give-aways Id be loading up a tiny handgun on a stick to take that fetus out personally.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pick posted:

I don't like to tug my own weewee here but I actually go to that dentist because I heard he gives employment to people who are not often given a chance for reasons completely outside their control, despite being entirely competent to do the work.

I mean you can abort all you want, but that's a personal decision that seems to rely more on how the child is treated by intolerant assholes than who they have the capacity to be.
To be fair, I can't really condemn someone for looking at the society their kid would be born into, realize they'll catch endless amounts of poo poo for their particular disability while never getting quite as much support for it as they should, and decide it's kinder for everyone involved to give that fetus a pass.

On the flip side, I wouldn't condemn them for choosing to give birth to that child either. Like you said, it's not impossible for people with mental disabilities to lead happy and fulfilling lives, and it's chilling to imply the default reaction to "my fetus is suboptimal" should be abortion.

It's an intensely personal decision for a reason.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As a random aside, Hugh and I both have serious hereditary disorders but are from wealthy families so :shrug:

Not that it really matters now but it does provide a lot of insight into this quiet phenomenon.

Embittered
Dec 8, 2009

Pick posted:

There are plenty of poor people, globally and in the USA, who are in exactly the same bind for non-genetic reasons. Should they be discouraged from reproducing compared to those of dynastic wealth and limitless opportunity such as the Romneys?

We aren't talking about reproducing, we're talking about a woman's choice to abort. I don't disparage people who choose to bring a downs syndrome child into the world, but currently the social safety net is loving awful if the parents can't afford to support said child. It is an observation, not a judgement.

I fully believe we should offer better funding to adult social services, and more money to special needs. At the same time I believe it should be up to the parent(s) on a case by case basis whether they choose to carry a downs syndrome child to full term.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

If the doctor could confirm that my child would grow up to through temper tantrums as an adult about free chicken nugget sauce give-aways Id be loading up a tiny handgun on a stick to take that fetus out personally.

exactly. most children are defective because of their parents' behavior, not their genes. yep. most people are that way because that's how incompetent their parents were. shee-it.

Embittered
Dec 8, 2009

PetraCore posted:

Ding ding ding! And a lot of pro-life people don't want to provide good sex education or access to contraceptives, either. I can respect someone who is pro-life but supports easy access to contraceptives and state-subsidized child care, but that's actually super rare.

Yup. Be Pro-Choice and support more money toward social safety nets.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Embittered posted:

We aren't talking about reproducing, we're talking about a woman's choice to abort. I don't disparage people who choose to bring a downs syndrome child into the world, but currently the social safety net is loving awful if the parents can't afford to support said child. It is an observation, not a judgement.

I fully believe we should offer better funding to adult social services, and more money to special needs. At the same time I believe it should be up to the parent(s) on a case by case basis whether they choose to carry a downs syndrome child to full term.

People can abort all they want, but the problem is they're being made to want it due to inhumane and immortal pressures from influential douchebags who are never challenged, and the aggregate effect is chilling.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

People can abort all they want, but the problem is they're being made to want it due to inhumane and immortal pressures from influential douchebags who are never challenged, and the aggregate effect is chilling.

So what are the morally correct reasons to abort?

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

PetraCore posted:

Why? Seriously, why? Why should someone bring a child into the world that they don't want and, realistically, almost no one else will want either.

My brother is disable and I love him to pieces and my parents love him to pieces and were awesome parents to him. We've all been really involved in fundraising for people with disabilities for years. But even they have admitted privately that if the detection technology we have now had existed in the 1980s, they would have aborted him. And if I end up pregnant with a child with that level of disability I will 100% abort.

Because caring for a really disabled child is a terrible thing that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

What's your solution? I seriously want to know.

EDIT: and I'm not really talking about slight disabilities before someone starts yelling "SLIPPERY SLOPE!!!!!"

Embittered
Dec 8, 2009

Pick posted:

Abortion is neither pressured, nor wanted in the United States. Over the past 10 years, it is been severely restricted and made inaccessible by low income people. Pregnancy is seen as a burden placed for having the gall to have sex. In fact, people who are willing to abort children who suffer from a severe birth defect are probably going to be more well off due to the nature of healthcare and pre-birth tests.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Angel came from heaven and proclaimed that the fruit of your womb shall do gods will and you need to show him you werent messing around about that new camaro you wanted in exchange.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sierramike76 posted:

We have an update to the woman who spent all her time in the water.

quote:

I called the police because I thought she was missing, they can't do poo poo because she left a note.

Wow, looks like I've just found the perfect murder technique.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Bamabalacha posted:

Why? Seriously, why? Why should someone bring a child into the world that they don't want and, realistically, almost no one else will want either.

My brother is disable and I love him to pieces and my parents love him to pieces and were awesome parents to him. We've all been really involved in fundraising for people with disabilities for years. But even they have admitted privately that if the detection technology we have now had existed in the 1980s, they would have aborted him. And if I end up pregnant with a child with that level of disability I will 100% abort.

Because caring for a really disabled child is a terrible thing that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

What's your solution? I seriously want to know.

EDIT: and I'm not really talking about slight disabilities before someone starts yelling "SLIPPERY SLOPE!!!!!"
Downs Syndrome has a wide spectrum of symptoms but quality of life tends to be good.

Maybe we should have better social nets so caring for a really disabled child isn't a terrible thing.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Child has a slightly off canthal tilt, dooming him to a life as an incel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Embittered posted:

Abortion is neither pressured, nor wanted in the United States. Over the past 10 years, it is been severely restricted and made inaccessible by low income people. Pregnancy is seen as a burden placed for having the gall to have sex. In fact, people who are willing to abort children who suffer from a severe birth defect are probably going to be more well off due to the nature of healthcare and pre-birth tests.
The inhumane and immoral pressure Pick is referring to is the serious stigma of any sort of socialized health care and the perception that people need to be productive to be 'worthwhile'. Which becomes even more inhumane and immoral combined with the anti-abortion, anti-Planned Pregnancy agenda. The people pushing both on an organizational level are rich assholes who don't care if all it takes is one serious medical emergency for a middle-class family to go to poverty if it means they can consolidate more wealth.

:capitalism: