Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Side effect of humans being turing-compatible: without introducing some extra concept like a soul, there is nothing that stops consciousness from being entirely runnable and entirely, truly conscious if emulated on a mechanical analytical engine with large enough memory i/o available to it.

Although it would be very slow.

There's a scifi story I've seen somewhere that has (if I'm remembering right) an AI stranded on a planet without a sufficient technology base end up turning parts of it itself into an algorithm very slowly manually computed by an order of monks constantly doing math in an endless series of ledgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

The TNG movies waste the whole cast. Everyone other than Picard and Data gets sweet fuckall to do and movie Picard is increasingly unlike show Picard to the point where he becomes pretty much Patrick Stewart in space.

I keep forgetting that Gates McFadden was even in any of the movies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My favorite thing was how Stuart Baird, who directed Nemesis, was convinced for awhile that Geordi was an alien. He apparently knew nothing at all about Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I recall Baird had been promised a directing gig on a summer blockbuster by the studio, and they shafted him by giving him Nemesis, so he was pissed off at the project going in.

Honestly, people rag on him but I'd pin even more of the blame for Nemesis on John Logan, the writer - I believe Baird was unfamiliar enough with Trek that he just let the writer handle the script without interfering and just stuck to directing/editing, since he didn't know enough to actually insert his own vision into the plot. Maybe he assumed that what Logan had written made sense if you were a trekkie.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 26, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

General Battuta posted:

If you like Worf you really need to watch DS9.

If only to see him completely continue his Klingon weebo thing esp with Martok going 'ok dude, chill out'

Oh yeah and snapping Weyoun's neck and Damar laughing about it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

FlamingLiberal posted:

My favorite thing was how Stuart Baird, who directed Nemesis, was convinced for awhile that Geordi was an alien. He apparently knew nothing at all about Trek.

As portrayed by Laverne Burton?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

MikeJF posted:

If I recall Baird had been promised a directing gig on a summer blockbuster by the studio, and they shafted him by giving him Nemesis, so he was pissed off at the project going in.

Honestly, people rag on him but I'd pin even more of the blame for Nemesis on John Logan, the writer - I believe Baird was unfamiliar enough with Trek that he just let the writer handle the script without interfering and just stuck to directing/editing, since he didn't know enough to actually insert his own vision into the plot. Maybe he assumed that what Logan had written made sense if you were a trekkie.

I've never really seen anything wrong with how Nemesis is shot, it is entirely the plot and characters that are a bore, definitely Logan's fault and Spiner/Stewart who had a huge hand in the script.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah Baird seems like an rear end, but he seems to be a pretty decent director. Though whoever made the call to have Shinzon be bald at the last minute should be ridiculed.

The script that leaked online in 2001-2 specifically stated he had blond hair, but I guess they figured that no one would get he was another Picard if he wasn’t also bald.

Alternatively, they could have changed three words in the script, and just had Patrick Stewart play both roles. :psyduck:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

God, Sisko and his son Jake have such great chemistry. Giving your main character a son was probably the riskiest thing they did, and it worked out so well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SardonicTyrant posted:

God, Sisko and his son Jake have such great chemistry. Giving your main character a son was probably the riskiest thing they did, and it worked out so well.

It helped that Brooks was a major father figure for Lofton anyway, and included him in all the activities Brooks did with his family.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It also helped that they wrote Jake as a normal kid and not some sort of wunderkind who saved the day every other week

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lofton is also a great actor. I caught parts of Nor The Battle To The Strong this morning on BBCA, and I was really impressed by how well written that episode was and how well Lofton did in it.

Jake is so much better than Wes. He's just a regular kid whose dad happens to be the Emissary of the Prophets. Wes was better later on, but the twerpy wunderkind stuff was annoying; especially early on.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I mean it could be worse. You could be Naomi Wildman and just...be there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MikeJF posted:

The director's job is to convey his vision for the project. If he had no vision for the project because of disinterest and just deferred to the writer, then he was a still a lovely director for this project.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

V-Men posted:

The most nonsensical thing is why even use medical holograms to do hard labor when you can just have robots do it instead? I guess because holograms can't get damaged?

Slightly more nonsensical than portraying mining done being done with picks and shovels like it's the 19th century instead of automated purpose-designed machines processing tons of material per second (and unlike the other instances of this in Trek, this presumably wasn't a prison labor camp).

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I know you can choose on the Blu Rays. Not sure if it is streaming anywhere.

Amazon Prime has both the original and remastered versions.

Admiralty Flag posted:

It also helped that they wrote Jake as a normal kid and not some sort of wunderkind who saved the day every other week

Jake and Nog taking the runabout apart and then freaking out when the cavalry shows up in "The Jem'Hadar" is the best thing ever

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

SardonicTyrant posted:

i love jake and captain sisko <3 i love them so much

McSpanky posted:

Jake and Nog taking the runabout apart and then freaking out when the cavalry shows up in "The Jem'Hadar" is the best thing ever

lol good reference, also, that episode loving owns. one of my buddies is going through the entirety of trek for the first time right now. theyre on TNG s2. cant wait for them to watch what happens to the USS Odyssey (or whatever that Galaxy class ship is in that episode that gets owned)

going from the majesty of the Ent-D to watching a galaxy class starship get absolutely annihilated was :stare:

Worf fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 26, 2020

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Jake Sisko owns.

Also I’m rewatching DS9 for the first time in like 20 years and watched “The Visitor” the other day. I don’t think any piece of entertainment I’ve encountered has ever made me cry so hard. :cry:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Jake also benefits from going down a completely different career path from his dad. Pretty much every other kid we'd seen in TNG-era Trek was on a path to Starfleet Academy. Jake going into journalism instead makes the setting feel a little larger, like you don't have to be a shipbound scientist to better yourself and enjoy the utopia of the 24th century.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It was great when Sisko didn't push Jake into a Starfleet career. I think previous series (especially TNG) had a tendency to depict kids as all being on the scientist and/or Starfleet track, so it was good that Jake was a pretty normal kid getting in trouble on the Promenade with Nog and being a journalist. Ten year olds doing calculus in TNG was pretty ridiculous, I always thought.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 26, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think 10 year old could probably handle calculus. I think it's easier than long division, conceptually. The algebra is the hard part but you don't really need the algebra to teach the core concept of derivative and integral. You'd have to teach it as calculus *for* primary school, but I think the kids could do it.

It's the classic "if you don't tell them it's hard they'll never know" situation. Pencil and paper integration techniques are the ball-bustingly hard part of college calculus, and those will be even more outdated in the 24th century than they are today.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Calculus was astoundingly easy compared to some of the poo poo I dealt with in Algebra II and Geometry.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

HD DAD posted:

Yeah Baird seems like an rear end, but he seems to be a pretty decent director. Though whoever made the call to have Shinzon be bald at the last minute should be ridiculed.

Director is a somewhat vaguely defined role, sometimes they have huge influence and other times it's more limited, and it also varies whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. It definitely seems like he had issues but it's also pretty clear they weren't limited to him. It's not a bad looking movie, which is kind of the #1 area where the director has influence, though not the only area.

I guess it's kind of a death by a thousand cuts. A lot of small bad decisions by a lot of people, not one fatal flaw.

HOLY gently caress posted:

Jake Sisko owns.

Also I’m rewatching DS9 for the first time in like 20 years and watched “The Visitor” the other day. I don’t think any piece of entertainment I’ve encountered has ever made me cry so hard. :cry:

I haven't started my first rewatch of DS9 as a father yet, but it's coming soon, and I am really not sure what's gonna happen when we get to that one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I think 10 year old could probably handle calculus. I think it's easier than long division, conceptually. The algebra is the hard part but you don't really need the algebra to teach the core concept of derivative and integral. You'd have to teach it as calculus *for* primary school, but I think the kids could do it.

It's the classic "if you don't tell them it's hard they'll never know" situation. Pencil and paper integration techniques are the ball-bustingly hard part of college calculus, and those will be even more outdated in the 24th century than they are today.

also a lot of the dumb algebra class poo poo is just memorizing formulas to avoid having to do calculus

like 'where is the maximum of this parabola', there's a dumb formula you can memorize to find it algebraically, or you can just calculus for a fraction of a second and pop out the answer

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Roadie posted:

There's a scifi story I've seen somewhere that has (if I'm remembering right) an AI stranded on a planet without a sufficient technology base end up turning parts of it itself into an algorithm very slowly manually computed by an order of monks constantly doing math in an endless series of ledgers.

This sounds awesome. Please stare into a candle or whatever Tuvok does to remember the name of the story.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jake’s problem is that he has less of an overall impact than side characters that don’t even appear, much less star, in 2 seasons worth of episodes. Jake was a title sequence character and appeared in a ton of episodes but I’d hazard a guess he got maybe 12 to 15 episodes where he could be considered one of the main characters in them. They seem to have run out of ideas completely, or just didn’t care about the character any more, shortly after the season 6 opener. Even Valiant REDSQUADREDSQUADREDSQUAD is more of a Nog episode since Jake gets locked up halfway through. And it’s not like he was featured in a ton of episodes before season 6 either.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Jake only appears in 41% of DS9 episodes. :eng101:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What we need in here is MORE child actors!
:goonsay:

I always skip The Visitor because I'm rarely in the mood to be broken down and built up emotionally over 52 minutes.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Arglebargle III posted:

Naomi Wildman* was such a weird addition to the cast. Not only did they do nothing with her, they forgot her mom existed.

*and you must always refer to her as Naomi Wildman, it's in the rules

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Naomi Wildman* was such a weird addition to the cast. Not only did they do nothing with her, they forgot her mom existed.

I read somewhere that Berman/Braga/whoever apparently thought her mom died in 'Once Upon a Time', which is why she's relegated to 'character who only appears to show we're in the past' along with Joe Carey.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

You'd think they'd ask themselves "who is taking care of Naomi Wildman?"

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Naomi Wildman died.
I wonder if they ever told her that her real mother got murdered/blown up and that she herself was just an alternate version of the real Naomi?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Didn't that also happen to Harry Kim?

It also happened to Miles O'Brian once.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

Nobody cares.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SardonicTyrant posted:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kibayasu posted:

Jake’s problem is that he has less of an overall impact than side characters that don’t even appear, much less star, in 2 seasons worth of episodes. Jake was a title sequence character and appeared in a ton of episodes but I’d hazard a guess he got maybe 12 to 15 episodes where he could be considered one of the main characters in them. They seem to have run out of ideas completely, or just didn’t care about the character any more, shortly after the season 6 opener. Even Valiant REDSQUADREDSQUADREDSQUAD is more of a Nog episode since Jake gets locked up halfway through. And it’s not like he was featured in a ton of episodes before season 6 either.
Yes in rewatching the series last year I was surprised how he just kind of disappears

The problem is that the ensemble grew as the series went on, so there was less time for someone like Jake who never had a lot going on

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

:goonsay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9soPONp0QAI

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't forget this is coming

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I haven’t heard this theme in like 23 years, and it instantly came back to me as soon as I heard the opening few seconds lol

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It also happened to Miles O'Brian once.

of all of the star trek people who die and then get replaced by the other version of themselves, miles' version always felt the least weird. partially because it was such a short timeframe and partially because the process itself feels more self-contained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

SardonicTyrant posted:

You'd think they'd ask themselves "who is taking care of Naomi Wildman?"

No one ever asks, how is taking care of Naomi Wildman?