Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I joined the DSA like a couple hours ago. What's the official position on Cop Rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Halloween Jack posted:

I joined the DSA like a couple hours ago. What's the official position on Cop Rock?

at risk of being purged, Cop Rock is the greatest show to ever come out of the 90s.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPk966PuQNE

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Zenos Paradise posted:

National Physique Committee? :shrug:

I'm definitely open to more radical solutions too, if you'd like to share any suggestions.

The newest Cumtown had a bit about Joe Arpaio and they started talking about the militarization of the police. And Nick had a sober moment about how the idea of a shaved headed officer decked out like SWAT would never have crossed his mind as a child in the 90's. It's pretty hosed up how fast America broke it's own brain after 9/11

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
has anyone considered barbecuing fat-boy fetonte

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

rudatron posted:

Do you guys think bylaws and such are just totally irrelevant, to be ignored when it's convenient? It's not the role of the NPC to creatively interpret resolutions and bylaws, until they reach the outcome that the people yelling at them want them to reach: it's their job to follow a procedure, to the best of their ability. That's it. They've done that. That's the most you can expect.

Don't like it? Welcome to the real world, the place where you don't get everything you want, even when everything is done right.

Yup

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, 2 “The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat; 3 therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do, for they do not practice what they teach. 4 They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear,[a] and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
good example historically there arent rules that you're supposed to follow in the christian religion

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Creative bending of established guidelines is more of a Jewish thing but we kicked them all out when we started the "Death to Israel" chant at the con

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh are we posting Bible verses? Here's my favorite.

Judges 15:16 posted:

And Samson saith, 'With a jaw-bone of the rear end -- an rear end upon asses -- with a jaw-bone of the rear end I have smitten a thousand men.'

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Creative bending of established guidelines is more of a Jewish thing but we kicked them all out when we started the "Death to Israel" chant at the con

lol what you love colonialism and apartheid? what kind of a leftist are you?

also nobody said death to Israel they said free palestine and voted to support boycotting apartheid, if you dont like it you can eat poo poo.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Oh are we posting Bible verses? Here's my favorite.

thats pretty good but its old testament

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's extremely cool that the argument against danny has evolved from him being a cop to him working with cop unions to him not disclosing his work with cop unions to his response to the hysteria about the aforementioned arguments.

no wonder you can't get rid of him.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
im pretty sure it was "he works and builds up cops" the whole time, and him being a huge jackass now is just like, expected

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

then maybe you should have some sort of rule against unionising cops i dunno. seems like a straightforward way to kick him out if he breaks that rule

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

lol what you love colonialism and apartheid? what kind of a leftist are you?

also nobody said death to Israel they said free palestine and voted to support boycotting apartheid, if you dont like it you can eat poo poo.

Actually I believe the vote was too "push Jewish babies into the ocean" and everyone voted for it. Please don't talk aboit the con if you weren't there and didn't participate in Torah burning

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

R. Mute posted:

then maybe you should have some sort of rule against unionising cops i dunno. seems like a straightforward way to kick him out if he breaks that rule

probably will in the future, but right now we are talking about the present

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

probably will in the future, but right now we are talking about the present
guess fetonte should stay then

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

how someone responds to adversity and division within the party is a pretty good criterion for whether they're suited to a leadership position imo

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

R. Mute posted:

guess fetonte should stay then

it think they should remove them, because lack of foresight is not a good reason for inaction

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

jarofpiss posted:

drat we're at 60k

is there a link for this or something by the way

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it think they should remove them, because lack of foresight is not a good reason for inaction
seems like you'd first have to win a vote to declare unionising cops bad, prevent people who unionised cops from holding leadership positions, apply this rule retroactively

don't think that'll work out

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Actually I believe the vote was too "push Jewish babies into the ocean" and everyone voted for it. Please don't talk aboit the con if you weren't there and didn't participate in Torah burning

Fuuuuuuuuck I thought that was the dead sea scrolls, can I have a recount?

Stinky_Pete has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Aug 29, 2017

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoluboiOgon posted:

Mind if I ask a question about police abolition? When I hear the term, the first thing i think of is Paul Bremer firing all of the Baathist police and officers in Iraq, and how many of the fired Baathists joined ISIS. Obviously the current police system is terrible and must be changed, but I fear that completely eliminating the police will lead to a large pool of unemployed racists used to abusing authority, and create some sort of Freikorps/Klan hybrid. The stated goals in the DSA platform all involve police/criminal justice reforms (and are great), but is police abolition even possible?

Bremer was a loving idiot and it's easy to avoid making his mistakes.

It's conceivable that most rank-and-file police will be incorporated into the new not-police organization after some retraining. The cops who won't are chiefs, commanders, supervisors, sergeants -- anyone who set or enforced the organizational priorities of the police as it exists today. Those positions would be filled by trusted comrades with a commitment to good "policing" practices and authentic justice. The whole organization would be working with a new mandate, a new rulebook, and a clean slate of institutional practices. Call it reform if you really want to, but you're looking at a fundamentally different institution when all is said and done.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Oh some of us are still around. Not every Jew is a fan of Israel.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

R. Mute posted:

seems like you'd first have to win a vote to declare unionising cops bad, prevent people who unionised cops from holding leadership positions, apply this rule retroactively

don't think that'll work out

i dont think you'd have to do any of those things, i think those are things you just made up

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

:chloe:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i dont think you'd have to do any of those things, i think those are things you just made up
you can't just assume the entire dsa agrees with those things and they do seem like the prerequisite to have a case against fetonte. so a vote.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of want to know why anyone cares though. What exactly can National even do. Besides take your dues money or revoke your chapter I guess. It's not like they can stop your membership from doing anything.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

R. Mute posted:

you can't just assume the entire dsa agrees with those things and they do seem like the prerequisite to have a case against fetonte. so a vote.

a large majorite of elected representatives feel a way and they should act accordingly. a broad vote is unnecessary and obstructionist, a ridiculous hurdle

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

oh hey in case you didnt notice Apartheid supporters are huge pieces of poo poo who will lie and do whatever it takes to protect their ethno-nationalist agenda including making up insane smears against people who call them out for their bullshit.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

I kind of want to know why anyone cares though. What exactly can National even do. Besides take your dues money or revoke your chapter I guess. It's not like they can stop your membership from doing anything.

i mean the dues money is pretty big, especially with how little money locals get from dues

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

a large majorite of elected representatives feel a way and they should act accordingly.
do they? if only there was a way to reliably figure out what a large group of people want

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I was told at this weekend's chapter meeting that 0% of the money you pay in dues is automatically distributed to them.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey so wow man $60K for hurricane relief raised that's great and-

:negative:

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

R. Mute posted:

do they? if only there was a way to reliably figure out what a large group of people want

yeah they (the npc) voted on and released statement arguments (even if they arent well distributed) so you can count exactly

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Al-Saqr posted:

oh hey in case you didnt notice Apartheid supporters are huge pieces of poo poo who will lie and do whatever it takes to protect their ethno-nationalist agenda including making up insane smears against people who call them out for their bullshit.

Is this a "all jews support israel" post because it sure sounds like it

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
didnt realize this was the "tier 1 gbs sarcasm"-toned socratic questioning thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's the struggle session thread