Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

kraft dinner posted:

that deck is incredible. what’s it called, if i may ask?

https://crowtarotshop.com/products/the-ravens-dream-tarot-preorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kraft dinner
Apr 2, 2016
wicked. thanks

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

called it

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

The Demilich posted:

Tarot bird cards, please comment on my dying love life

if you want to keep it alive, fight for it (don't hurt anyone though)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
could someone repost the book list?

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Pooky posted:

:siren: Book round-up version 1.21 :siren:

I really need to update this

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

pancake rabbit posted:

smell of ammonia

green glow

radioactive piss aitees are real

Picture of the alien from the recent Peru attacks

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

machu peechu

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Picture of the alien from the recent Peru attacks

oh no mr burns got out again

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Pooky posted:

I really need to update this

much obliged!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Turpitude posted:

Also what's with the cadmium chloride?

Is there any evidence of cadmium chloride being something we had access to ~1k years ago? Can it be found naturally in a cave in Peru?

Cadmium is used to create light-emitting quantum dots.

Quantum dots (QDs), also called semiconductor nanocrystals, are semiconductor particles a few nanometres in size, having optical and electronic properties that differ from those of larger particles as a result of quantum mechanics. They are a central topic in nanotechnology and materials science. When the quantum dots are illuminated by UV light, an electron in the quantum dot can be excited to a state of higher energy. In the case of a semiconducting quantum dot, this process corresponds to the transition of an electron from the valence band to the conductance band. The excited electron can drop back into the valence band releasing its energy as light.

quote:

In this paper, we report the use of NAC as the stabilizer to synthesize CdSe QDs in aqueous phase using cadmium chloride as precursor and sodium hydrogen selenide in dimethylformamide as the source of selenium. The choice of NAC is based on the fact that the good water solubility and biocompatibility, moreover, the available functional group can provide better surface passivation and ensures high fluorescence from the QDs. The synthesized CdSe QDs display emission at 554 nm
https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2019/ra/c9ra04753k

The synthesized CdSe QDs display emission at 554 nm

sodium hydrogen selenide smells like rotten eggs

dimethylformamide smells like ammonia

I have no idea what I'm doing

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Rotten eggs...eggs...birds...birds!!!

Quick Robin, to the batmobile!!

EDIT wait...Robin...robins are birds...'Robin' sounds like 'robbing'...robbing is stealing...stealing people...abducting people

My god

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

how easy is it to access bird bones in peru?

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
my sanity has a fever, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwLSrNu1ppI

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It is probably true that it would be difficult to advance this through typical scientific channels, but they're doing themselves a disservice by not (to my knowledge) writing the papers anyway.

my bony fealty posted:

Garry's right

the layman thinks the scientist can just look at gigabytes of nucleotides and deduce in a few minutes "yeah, that's an alien" when in reality the learned priest class must utilize rigorous and tedious methodology to make estimated guesses

both of these are correct and good takes. if you care about getting the rubber stamp of science[tm] then you need to play the game as she is played. if you don't care about hewing to western empiricism then that's cool and i am here to lurk and post through it with you, but understand that you can't get it both ways.

Turpitude posted:

it shouldn't be difficult to disprove this poo poo but even the paper I cite does a poor job, and I am having a hard time finding anything better. the flipped-llama-or-alpaca-skull theory is a really good one so why is it written so poorly and why are they not analyzing the areas of the skull that they posit would have been most clearly hosed with in creating this forgery? just super frustrating all around

setting aside the epistemological minefield of what it means to 'disprove' something, real science is real fuckin hard and there are always limits and gap and paths not taken no matter how many robustness checks or whatever term of art you want to toss around, etc. epistemic humility is important even if you are otherwise a catty little bitch in other parts of your life, like being a reply guy on xtter. but per above, its effectively impossible to refute arguments that are not made in the first place based on the basic tenets of western empirical methods, chiefly making primary data accessible and writing up your analysis, findings, etc. according to the field standards. sorry if you think thats bitchmade you're not even wrong but its the best western monkee has been able to do so far.

lmao

the chair recognizes senator aitee from titicaca

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

in other news, webb imaged a giant planet 120 light years away called k2-18b which is in the habitable zone of a :cool: dwarf star. it has co2 and methane but not (too) much ammonia. but more importantly, they have a "less robust" detection of dimethyl sulfide (DMS). who gives a poo poo? well,

NASA Goddard post posted:

On Earth, this is only produced by life. The bulk of the DMS in Earth’s atmosphere is emitted from phytoplankton in marine environments.

https://www.nasa.gov/goddard/2023/webb-discovers-methane-carbon-dioxide-in-atmosphere-of-k2-18b

this poo poo's gonna be everywhere we look once we start looking with the right tools. get hosed fermi

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
heard k2-18b may be panthellasic & in resonance with c (or tidally locked instead). Huge gravity, if not an oceanic mega earth is a nice balmy Neptune. Wild fuckin planet.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

captainbananas posted:

in other news, webb imaged a giant planet 120 light years away called k2-18b which is in the habitable zone of a :cool: dwarf star. it has co2 and methane but not (too) much ammonia. but more importantly, they have a "less robust" detection of dimethyl sulfide (DMS). who gives a poo poo? well,

https://www.nasa.gov/goddard/2023/webb-discovers-methane-carbon-dioxide-in-atmosphere-of-k2-18b

this poo poo's gonna be everywhere we look once we start looking with the right tools. get hosed fermi

aw yeah

that's the good stuff

got me stoked like

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think the mexico alien mummy thing is an op to distract from the grush thing because anytime I've seen it mentioned on tv it's accompanied by spooky x-files music and dumb jokes about aliens

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
people just don't wanna believe anything from Mexico could be legitimate. sad and frankly racist

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
a friend of mine wrote in a group chat about a dream he had where he became lucid(he realized it was a dream because Sauron told him he had killed 40k and he thought him using K was weird and realized it was a dream) so I of course asked him if he could regularly achieve it and he said it happened sometimes. BUT, he also said that the weirdest was that one time where he'd gone to sleep very exhausted and had appeared as floating above his own sleeping body and gone on to fly around watching other people.

So I go "That's an OOBE!" and I've now proceeded to enroll the chat into doing remove viewing experiments. I did one over the night with very little instructions, just "I put a thing in this here box [picture], tell yourselves you want to know what's in it and report back with a guess", it was a little bit more involved than just that but you get the gist.

The item i had in the box was a standard light bulb and he came back with the guess "a smooth rock". Near hit? He based the guess on what he dreamed about.

(the others were flat out wrong)

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 12:53 on Sep 14, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

kraft dinner posted:

wicked. thanks

Turpitude nailed it :) I pre-ordered the first printing because when I came across the preview images it just really spoke to me in a way I've never connected with other tarot card pictures I have seen. Not even the Crow tarot deck by the same artist, which is her flagship piece. I definitely think having the right "tools" is part of success, in mystic or magic endeavors as in many others. When she started sharing about The Raven's Dream my brain went "okay, it's time. That's the one."

The Demilich posted:

Tarot bird cards, please comment on my dying love life

Hey bird cards. It's me and "The Demilich" again. Please comment helpfully on their lovelife... thank you :)

I remember your previous draw was capped by both the emotionally generous Queen Pentacles and the logical, rational King... Swords, was it? I parsed them as you and your partner and the read suggested the Queen in the relationship needed the rational King to do a little better of a job reaching her level emotionally. It's also possible both Queen and King were representative of you, suggesting you can react to your current situation with QP's emotional insight or KS's logical one (and recommending the former). Reviving that context might be helpful for this draw.

Page of Cups, like all the pages I think, notes a new beginning. It suggests a period where you begin to learn to listen to your instincts and intuition. It encourages curiosity and openness; it asks you to be open to new sensations and experiences. It asks for emotional vulnerability, opening up to and acknowledging the rhythm and flow of your emotional life. Four of Wands is celebration! It indicates a joyful occasion, a time of unity, peace, and harmony in your relationships. It is often associated with both home life, and accomplishment and pride. Is someone hurting, Demilich? Feeling emotionally overlooked and neglected? I would guess if so it is the same individual previously represented by the Queen of Pentacles, and her emotional needs need attended to. She is not being unreasonable. The last card in this draw is the Empress -- she reads like the QP again, but big. Emphatic. She is an enormously positive presence. She is deeply connected to those around her, loving, empathetic and compassionate; she is creative and nuturing and asking for that same energy from those around her. She is asking for the expression of love, understanding, and emotional support, just as she patiently and consistently provides those around her. Please emotionally provide for her. Or if she is you -- are you comfortable expressing to your partner they aren't meeting your emotional needs? I don't think they are malicious; they just might not communicate by default the way you do. But they have to try.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

if you want to keep it alive, fight for it (don't hurt anyone though)

:yeah:

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

reminder for the nothingburger of "it could be something, we don't have enough data to figure it out what it is"

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1701625159570845793

copy of the report before the meeting will be available at:
https://science.nasa.gov/uap

helta has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Sep 14, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Egg Moron posted:

how easy is it to access bird bones in peru?

very difficult, peru is forbidden to the avian menace

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bill Nelson is going to debrief about the UAP report and recommend renaming NASA to

Nasty
Aliens
Sexy
Aliens

:mrwhite:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

helta posted:

reminder for the nothingburger of "it could be something, we don't have enough data to figure it out what it is"

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1701625159570845793

copy of the report before the meeting will be available at:
https://science.nasa.gov/uap

this means 20 minutes until the report drops. I'm really hoping someone at the press conference asks some very tough questions about high resolution satellite imagery they shouldn't get to pretend they don't know about.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

fanfic insert posted:

a friend of mine wrote in a group chat about a dream he had where he became lucid(he realized it was a dream because Sauron told him he had killed 40k and he thought him using K was weird and realized it was a dream) so I of course asked him if he could regularly achieve it and he said it happened sometimes. BUT, he also said that the weirdest was that one time where he'd gone to sleep very exhausted and had appeared as floating above his own sleeping body and gone on to fly around watching other people.

So I go "That's an OOBE!" and I've now proceeded to enroll the chat into doing remove viewing experiments. I did one over the night with very little instructions, just "I put a thing in this here box [picture], tell yourselves you want to know what's in it and report back with a guess", it was a little bit more involved than just that but you get the gist.

The item i had in the box was a standard light bulb and he came back with the guess "a smooth rock". Near hit? He based the guess on what he dreamed about.

(the others were flat out wrong)

Also this owns lmao. My coworkers often tell me about their dreams. One of them recently dreamed a spooky old woman was trying to grab her and her son, and they were locked in the bedroom with her and she kept getting closer...! My coworker was wearing her mask and keeping her distance from us that day and I asked if she was getting sick. "Yeah, [my son] and I started coming down with it yesterday." She liked being told she had not just had a dream, she had had a premonition :lol:

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
https://science.nasa.gov/science-pink/s3fs-public/atoms/files/UAP%20Independent%20Study%20Team%20-%20Final%20Report_0.pdf

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

not one picture of a mummy in this boring pos

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

skimmed it and a whole lot of nothing

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

neutral milf hotel posted:

skimmed it and a whole lot of nothing

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lol they even imply gofast was a balloon

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i can't believe the fake space agency started as a way to let a nazi design icbms to destroy the earth could behave this way!

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
maybe the presser will have a mummy

who knows, it might even be wet!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

"Our sincere thanks go to Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick, the Director of AARO. His
expertise and collaboration have been invaluable, enriching our understanding
and providing a solid foundation for our committee's work."

i sure bet it has

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hirsute posted:

I saw some pictures of earthquake lights in Morocco from the big quake that hit the other day, that's a very weird phenomenon. This quote from a CNN article about them made me think of this thread:

It's neat how often we've had recent examples of "no that's just your imagination" flipping into "oh I guess it was real after all" in mainstream discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

this'll probably be buried by the nasa conference but that's cool. i just had a very interesting tarot-related experience that i have to share.

i got a r-w deck yesterday to try dipping my toes into this as the reads here have piqued my interest big time. this morning i did a big kindergarten shuffle to really randomize the cards and while doing so i focused on what the cards identified with, or how they would like me to see them. i pulled Justice. cool. getting a major arcana right off the bat, and such a direct-meaning one, felt good. makes sense. next, I did a quick shuffle and asked how the cards saw me. i pulled temperance in reverse. i'm just using the little booklet for interpretation, and all it says for temperance reversed is churches, priesthood, religions, sects, unfortunate combinations, disunion, competing interests. that really didn't mean much to me, and i was wondering how that could fit, but not coming up with much. started wondering if i should be ignoring the reversed meanings for now while i get acquainted. i started another kindergarten shuffle, thinking about that temperance card and what it might mean to me, kinda feeling confused and like it maybe didn't mean as much as the first pull. as i'm gathering the cards up into a deck after shuffling, a random card gets caught on another and pops out, right in front of me. the card was temperance, in reverse, right in the spot i pulled it before. not sideways or crooked or anything, it was literally like i pulled it out on purpose.

i audibly cackled when i saw this and decided to read a bit more online for some insight into this card reversed, because obviously the cards were very insistent i internalize that draw. what i learned on various tarot sites is so on the nose it's almost comical. lately my biggest challenge in life at home has been regulating my emotions and maintaining patience, especially important as my wife and i are caring for our newborn. it's been a serious challenge for me to not get frustrated when i'm unable to comfort him. and i've always had an issue avoiding responsibility in favor of doing something i enjoy, causing imbalance in my life and serious friction in relationships. it's been a major theme in my life, especially as i take on more responsibility. (i'm getting better though! :shobon:)

so yeah. pretty loving weird, and i legitimately felt like i was being communicated with.