Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't the RNC mostly thrown together at the last minute from whatever Z-Listers he could pull in because he put it off so much, too?

Honestly, that might have just been the best he could get. Check out this star-studded list of celebrity endorsements:

What the gently caress is up with three members of the Cheers cast being pro-Trump? I thought Frasier, at least, was smarter than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

theflyingorc posted:

You were also really confident that he was going to win the first debate, so I'm not too interested in what you have to say, friend.

No I wasn't. I said he was going to do badly, but that the bar was so low for him that people would call it a win unless he melted down on stage.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

What the gently caress is up with three members of the Cheers cast being pro-Trump? I thought Frasier, at least, was smarter than that.

Kelsey Grammer tried to start a right wing comedy network.

It...did not go well.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

canepazzo posted:

He answered a question about "how do I get a job" with "This room is hot, I'm sweating, I was sweating at a Colorado rally and crooked media pounced on me, my rallies have the best attendance".

The above is not dramatized at all.

Not really true, he did go on to answer the question after that weird disgression (something like "we're gonna stop sending jobs to china, we're gonna have lots of great jobs, everyone's gonna have tremendous jobs")

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
He'll also be stuck on a stage with an uppity female jabbing him with a sharpened stick the entire time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Honestly, that might have just been the best he could get. Check out this star-studded list of celebrity endorsements:

the real surprise on this list is steven seagal. i thought he was some sort of super environmentalist these days?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

He is also known for his outspoken political views and for his friendship with Vladimir Putin. Seagal once referred to Putin as "one of the great living world leaders".

Oh, that explains it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No I wasn't. I said he was going to do badly, but that the bar was so low for him that people would call it a win unless he melted down on stage.

Which you were wrong about, since even Fox News called it a tie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Endorph posted:

the real surprise on this list is steven seagal. i thought he was some sort of super environmentalist these days?

Seagal did a reality TV show with Sheriff Joe Arpaio and loves Putin.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

He'll also be stuck on a stage with an uppity female jabbing him with a sharpened stick the entire time.

And one of those hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot homosexuals.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Crow Jane posted:

What, because he played a psychiatrist on a TV show?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

canepazzo posted:

He answered a question about "how do I get a job" with "This room is hot, I'm sweating, I was sweating at a Colorado rally and crooked media pounced on me, my rallies have the best attendance".

Was this a rally or that practice town hall they did.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

That's functionally equivalent to what I said

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

Maybe, but he hates women and I think had a legit sex slave for a while. Of course he'd vote for Trump.

Here's some pro-Trump musicians:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

canepazzo posted:

As someone who has been searching for a job in my field for nearly a year now with no results, this infuriates me. This is why, even if he wasn't a cheeto fascist, I could never vote for Trump. His platform is literally "Make America Great Again", but as soon as you press any sort of issues on him about how exactly he's going to do that, he completely falls apart at the seams. That's why he would have flunked the debate even if he was debating a broomstick, and that's why he's going to do very very worse in the second one, especially since this is a format he's proven to be very poor at.

Trotsky, a troll as he might be, cites Hillary as not being able to "do personal connections well". I was a super diehard Bernie Bro in the Primaries, and was more or less reluctantly voting for Hillary throughout much of this election because, well, at least she's not the cheeto. I kind of got duped into the "Truth is in the middle" bullshit about Hillary.

People said she came across as robotic in the first debate, and while she had some obviously planned slogan lines liked Trumped Up Trickle Down that rang hollow with me, a lot of that debate was me realized how much I was blinded to Hillary's strengths and over criticized her faults in my head. To me, she came across as likeable and genuine, like I could sit down with her and have an intelligent discussion about the issues with. I have so much respect for Hillary now and anyone who says isn't going to do well in the second debate is a fool.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

computer parts posted:

Which you were wrong about, since even Fox News called it a tie.

Agreed, but my guess was what the media narrative would be, not how he would objectively perform. He will objectively do better at the town hall because the main things that cause him to meltdown will be severely diminished compared to a 1v1 moderated debate.

I don't think he is going to do great, but I think he will objectively do better than the 1st debate. How the media runs with that assessment, I have no clue.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Crow Jane posted:

Maybe, but he hates women and I think had a legit sex slave for a while. Of course he'd vote for Trump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Dawg

quote:

White Dawg released his first single, "I Wanna Lick the P*ssy" (1994), from his self-titled first album, and without airplay the song became a club hit.[4] His next single was "You Smell Like Doo-Doo".

quote:

In early 2008, White Dawg became a Born Again Christian. He graduated from Faith Christian University with a degree in Bible Ministry and Theology in 2013. He is now a motivational speaker, Men of Promise Leader, and author currently writing a book entitled Blessed and Unstoppable: Your Blueprint For Success due to be released late 2016 early 2017.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BigRed0427 posted:

Was this a rally or that practice town hall they did.

It was at the practice town hall, somebody linked it a page or two back.

He definitely never answered the question, he talked about things around the question after being given 60 seconds to talk about whatever he wanted

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Nooooooooooooo Kirstie Alley and Jean-Claude Van Damme :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

theflyingorc posted:

That's functionally equivalent to what I said

UM ACTUALLY, TRUMP DIDN'T PULL DOWN HIS PANTS AND poo poo ON THE FLOOR SO THAT WAS EFFECTIVELY A WIN FOR TRUMP IN THE FIRST DEBATE, GOOD SIR.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Gustav posted:

What, because he played a psychiatrist on a TV show?

His deep, comforting baritone made me think he had a soul :saddowns:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

He will objectively do better at the town hall because the main things that cause him to meltdown will be severely diminished compared to a 1v1 moderated debate.

Man, you are going to be so loving wrong about this. He has to interact with the general public, the meltdown factors are increased, not decreased!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Gustav posted:

Not really true, he did go on to answer the question after that weird disgression (something like "we're gonna stop sending jobs to china, we're gonna have lots of great jobs, everyone's gonna have tremendous jobs")

You're right, I did exagerate - that was his rambling before actually addressing the question (and not really answering it after all, as you mentioned).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Endorph posted:

Sure, he's an environmentalist if you think Mexicans are pollution.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nooooooooooooo Kirstie Alley and Jean-Claude Van Damme :(

It's actually completely amazing that Kirstie Alley could support somebody notorious for criticizing women for weight gain

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

Jesse Hughes also basically blamed the Bataclan victims for being pussies and not packing heat to bring down the attackers so

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BigRed0427 posted:

that practice town hall they did.

That one. Also, the question was from a recent chemistry graduate, and the closest he got to actually talking about jobs was discussing how (somehow) once America is Great Again (TM) Apple will make iPhones in the US, which is totally the fantastic type of job that a bachelor in chemistry wants.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

In my opinion, Trump is good at interacting with crowds, true. A friendly crowds that passively cheers his every word no matter what he says, which is not at all the same as a town hall audience.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WampaLord posted:

Man, you are going to be so loving wrong about this. He has to interact with the general public, the meltdown factors are increased, not decreased!

It's possible. But his major meltdown factors in the first debate were:

1) Being pushed on policy details
2) Moderator follow-ups
3) Hillary bringing up his personal statements.

1 and 2 will not be present in the town hall format. And Hillary is not allowed to cross talk during his turn with the audience.

Trump does best when he is conversational instead of specific, not being pushed back, and allowed to frame himself as a tough guy outsider. Town Halls play more to that side than a structured debate.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

During his own rallies he got so irritated he started a fight with a baby.

Anyone can stand up in front of a friendly crowd (especially one made up of people brainwashed by talk radio to think their leader is opposing Girl Hitler) and talk. he's not uniquely talented in that way.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JohnCompany posted:

That one. Also, the question was from a recent chemistry graduate, and the closest he got to actually talking about jobs was discussing how (somehow) once America is Great Again (TM) Apple will make iPhones in the US, which is totally the fantastic type of job that a bachelor in chemistry wants.

tbh a BSc (Chem) pretty much does just equip you for a production-line job. maybe making battery components instead of assembling phone cases though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

And Hillary is not allowed to cross talk during his turn with the audience.

Neither is Trump, and that's how he melted down so much.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

2) Moderator follow-ups

1 and 2 will not be present in the town hall format. And Hillary is not allowed to cross talk during his turn with the audience.

Trump does best when he is conversational instead of specific, not being pushed back, and allowed to frame himself as a tough guy outsider. Town Halls play more to that side than a structured debate.

I'm hopped up on NyQuil and I want to know what you're on because it's definitely working better than this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

2) Moderator follow-ups

His last non-practice town hall, with a friendly moderator, he decided to just veer off into how awesome Putin is and how Iraq should've been thoroughly pillaged. And that was only a 30 minute one.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Azealia Banks? Jesse Hughes? Really?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

crush enemies, see them driven, lamentations of the MAGA

FTFY

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Trump is going to do better in a town hall format. Part of the reason for that is that he can't go much lower than he did before, but also the format really does play to his strengths and Hillary's weaknesses.

The questions are still highly managed. The debate is still a stage and those vying for political power are actors. You don't get to ask any question you want.

quote:

- None of the audience members are going to be asking questions about GDP growth rates, specific foreign policy info, or criminal justice stats.

Those are boring save to special interest groups, statisticians and policy wonks save for extreme examples. No one is going to talk about that.

quote:

- None of them are allowed to ask follow-up questions.

If I recall correctly being allowed to do something and doing it anyway is something that happens and has happened before in this case. Also there are ways around it by embarrassing your opponent into elaborating further.

quote:

- They are "undecided voters" from Missouri. Probably disproportionately terrible people.

That's a broad brush you're painting with. Careful you don't get any paint on you.

quote:

- Hillary doesn't do personal connections or braggadocio well.

Hillary does well in small settings so you may be surprised. As for braggadocio (had to look that up) she's not especially arrogant or a braggart in public. It's one of the ways that being a woman works against her. Being passionate or showing ones' feelings as a woman can have all sorts of negative connotations.

quote:

I just don't see how he could do worse than he did in the first debate.

Trump is excellent at shattering our expectations. Sadly it's almost always in a negative way. He has no teleprompter. He's going to be off script for ninety minutes. He's not good at answering specific questions about policy because he has no policy. He doesn't have answers about specific topics that a politician should because he doesn't have those answers, but makes it up anyway in a way that falls to pieces under the faintest hint of scrutiny. Often he makes policy up on the fly from reading the room in an incredibly hamfisted way.

He's at a serious disadvantage. The news cycle has not been kind to him because his tax returns were released and he didn't release any returns to counteract them people assume that it's worse. His one qualification that he ran on for president is that he's a businessman and it looks like he's a terrible one. Then there were a slough of shady business dealings that came out to reinforce the narrative that he's corrupt, greedy and a law breaker.

He's telegraphed that the odds are good he's going to talk about Bill Clinton's infidelity. Hillary has been getting poo poo about her husband's infidelity for what...Thirty? Forty years? She will dunk all over him seeing as he's cheated on his spouses before and cheated with married women and bragged about it and at the end of it all he'll be victim shaming as Hillary is not an extension of her husband.

Hillary is preparing to needle him into another rage. The last rage lasted for over a week. It's a month until the election. He can't afford another. Third debate or not if he loses this one he is loving toast and if the scuttlebutt I've been reading lately is true the republicans may just cut him loose if he shits the bed again and his negatives rise even higher. He raises no money save for himself, he doesn't spend that money but instead pockets large quantities of it, he doesn't campaign for other politicians, he has no get out the vote campaign and overall has been a drain on RNC finances. The republican politicians have no loyalty to this man because he's basically a usurper. His campaign strategy is to work the media and 100% leech off existing campaign infrastructure.

I'm not sure what the number is in the polls, but at some point the republicans are going to take their chances and dump him. Maybe quietly, but they will all the same. He's completely reliant on them for their resources and in order to save the house and especially the senate they may just divert all resources away from him.

So I suppose we'll see. If we see a repeat of the last debate I call that the republicans quietly cut him loose and hope no one questions them about it.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 7, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Night10194 posted:

His last non-practice town hall, with a friendly moderator, he decided to just veer off into how awesome Putin is and how Iraq should've been thoroughly pillaged. And that was only a 30 minute one.

I don't think he is going to do well, but I think he won't obviously melt down as badly as he did in the first debate. None of his stupid comments or complete ignorance of policy details were why people thought he lost the first debate. It was because he was baited on personal issues and pressed by the moderator.

I think slinging bullshit, as Mike Pence proved, is not going to get you a failing grade.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

2) Moderator follow-ups

1 and 2 will not be present in the town hall format.

Uhhh, do you not remember that "Please proceed, Governor" and the moderator fact checking following it happened at the town hall debate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

2) Moderator follow-ups

you literally have no idea how anything works

• Locked thread