Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

White House Down was practically a GI Joe movie anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

White House Down was fantastic and Channing belongs in the F&F universe

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
He should play the same character. Bring Jamie Fox's president into the F&F verse too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Ok who (also?) is getting this. Amc promo.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That's the actual size of it as well probably.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just came from a screener. Gets pretty silly lol

it's true they put his brain in a dinosaur

and then he winds up in a horny brain bowl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ndX1R0E8hM

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Hmm seeing some negative initial reviews, or mixed at least.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm gonna be real sad if F&F limps to the finish line

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nine did not give me a whole lot of hope. Seeing it Thursday night anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

trevorreznik posted:

I'm gonna be real sad if F&F limps to the finish line

Too soon junior???

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
See I enjoyed ff9 a lot as it fully embraced its silly conceit. Basically I just want cool stunts/action with characters having fun.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Jason Momoa alone makes the movie worth it

I’ve not seen it but I’m sure of that part

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Have the Fast movies ever reviewed well?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the escape goat posted:

Jason Momoa alone makes the movie worth it

I’ve not seen it but I’m sure of that part

he's definitely fun

think Toecutter from Mad Max and less Khal Drogo

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Asteroid Alert posted:

Have the Fast movies ever reviewed well?

7 and 5, otherwise critic ratings have been from mid to yikes from what I recall

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm actually watching this movie right now with someone who has a severe birth defect in their brain and they are loving it. That's not a joke either.

The joke is how contrived the plot is. Jason Momoa is the best part of it, mostly because he hams it up like mad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

the escape goat posted:

7 and 5, otherwise critic ratings have been from mid to yikes from what I recall

Universal's marketing department missed a huge opportunity by not calling the seventh movie The Furious Seven.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Should have called cinqo Grandmaster Fast and the Furious 5

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This is a pretty fun video that goes through how they did some of the stunts in the Fast series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY3Undepoq8

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Man, Fast X was a mess. I don't know if the behind the scenes production fuckery had a lot to do with it. There was a lot of pointless scenes and really bad CGI. Jason Momoa's JigsawJoker was loving terrible.

Also the ending is just a cliffhanger for the next one

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pingiivi posted:

Man, Fast X was a mess. I don't know if the behind the scenes production fuckery had a lot to do with it. There was a lot of pointless scenes and really bad CGI. Jason Momoa's JigsawJoker was loving terrible.

Also the ending is just a cliffhanger for the next one

This is the proper start of the Fast Universe, to pick up the mantle after Marvel slowed down.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'm of the opinion that the opening of 5 when Dom and Brian drive off the cliff, Dom's face indicates he just realized he has the ability to fly. The reason he doesn't is because he knows it would upset Brian.
As proof, in 6 he uses that power to fly and catch Letty, he then uses his carmancy powers to summon a car to cushion his fall.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Saw it!
It has a lot of good stuff and a lot of bad stuff and it feels like whomever is behind the movie can't tell which is which and puts it all in the flick.

Alan Ritchson and Brie Larson fit very well into the world.
It looks like no one told Jason Momoa to reign it in.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wish they'd done a crossover movie where they go up against Nic Cage's crew from Gone in 60 Seconds and set it in San Francisco. Nic Cage flying Eleanor over Dom's Charger while screaming "You're a self-indulgent wiener with too much bloody money!" would have been cinematic gold.

Muscle vs. Muscle.

Family vs. Family.

Only one wiener.

:vince:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A movie where Memphis’ crew has to steal Dom’s cars

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Should we update the title here for fast x?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Always hated Gone in 60 because it’s literally pointless

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahahaha. Nothing of the sort happened in that scene. Basically Letty was injured as part of a plan to help her escape with Cypher. It's also connected to the plot twists of they were imprisoned in Antartica (funny that this is the second recent Michelle Rodriguez movie involving a similar setting) and then Giselle showing up to pick them up in a sub.

Overall this movie didn't have set pieces as exciting as Fast 6 or even F8 but Jason Momoa is a pretty scary villain. He knows Dom's weakness and even plays into it several times like when he revealed Aimes was his partner all along.

Side note:
Alan Ritchson is built like if Optimus Prime is a human. No wonder he got picked to play Jack Reacher.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 18, 2023

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Quote is not edit:

Anyone seen the final trailer? It's 4 and a half minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoOaKN4qCKw

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 18, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

It looks like no one told Jason Momoa to reign it in.

His acting was the only reason I found any enjoyment at all in the movie.

Certainly beat Vin Diesel's sleepwalking through his role, or that one lady who sounded like she could barely get through her lines.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah having another grimdark Blast Hardcheese Butch Deadlift Big Mclargehuge doing dude rbf doesn’t interest me

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Going to see this tomorrow night with a big group of mates.

We started with Fast Five. We were out on a night out and thought the movie looked great in trailers. One of us was flying back to Melbourne the next afternoon, so we said we should go to the midnight release in like 4 hours. So we went hard on beers then went to the movie and had a blast being the only ones in our city really to see it at night.

We did this for all of them until 9 when one of us became a dad and we couldn't keep the tradition alive anymore but yeah, the tradition of a big dinner into beers into watching these dumb action movies has been a great thing to look foward to.

This one looks dumber than the rest and I will be drunker than the rest and it will be a great night.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Hahahaha. Nothing of the sort happened in that scene.

If anyone wants to watch a movie that actually follows through on this debunked speculation, the Indian movie WAR will scratch that itch (and is honestly a better Fast and Furious movie than the last 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ0mzXRk-oM

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So if this movie is still running on D&D principals, Jason Momoa playing a "Dante" means he's the equivalent of a devil from Hell. Because of course that's the final boss for any D&D adventure; after you have defeated dragons/planes and liches/superhackers, the only challenge left is an evil deity from the Lower Planes.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

The MSJ posted:

So if this movie is still running on D&D principals, Jason Momoa playing a "Dante" means he's the equivalent of a devil from Hell. Because of course that's the final boss for any D&D adventure; after you have defeated dragons/planes and liches/superhackers, the only challenge left is an evil deity from the Lower Planes.

That would explain why the dude is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

If anyone wants to watch a movie that actually follows through on this debunked speculation, the Indian movie WAR will scratch that itch (and is honestly a better Fast and Furious movie than the last 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ0mzXRk-oM

what is it on a scale of 0 to RRR

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

what is it on a scale of 0 to RRR

I'd say 7.5

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

evilmiera posted:

His acting was the only reason I found any enjoyment at all in the movie.

Certainly beat Vin Diesel's sleepwalking through his role, or that one lady who sounded like she could barely get through her lines.

He's not not entertaining, but his comedy never feels like a character, he's just being a silly goose, whatever happens.
Again, the crowd I was with enjoyed this, but I thought his diet Jack Sparrow was sort of a bummer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it doesn't fit perfectly but I do appreciate them trying something different

too many fussy faces in the series rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
can this just be the lin thread now