Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

People keep talking about how insane Book Of Henry is. I've seen the trailer, but has anyone who has seen the movie actually posted a detailed breakdown? I'd be interested in reading that.

This is a review by a (former?) goon.
http://frontrowcentral.com/2017/06/21/the-book-of-henry-2017/

quote:

... the movie fails to make a child molester into a convincing villain, which is an almost impressive feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

People keep talking about how insane Book Of Henry is. I've seen the trailer, but has anyone who has seen the movie actually posted a detailed breakdown? I'd be interested in reading that.

There was also this video which breaks it down pretty well.

Taintrunner posted:

So The Book of Henry according to this spoiler review slash summary of the film is the loving most buckwild movie ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO4o-gYkr7E

Like holy poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

There was also this video which breaks it down pretty well.

It took me less than a second to close that video after opening it. I saw 40 minutes in the bottom right corner and him wearing that hat and holding that cat in the upper left and just said "Nope."

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Don't worry, 39 minutes will just be reminding you to subscribe and like and turn on notifications and to follow on Twitter and Instagram and Letterboxd and Facebook and Yo and Onlyfans and Periscope and become a Patreon and PayPal links and requests to turn off adblock and links to cash.me and his similar videos that aren't similar in topic

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Skwirl posted:

It took me less than a second to close that video after opening it. I saw 40 minutes in the bottom right corner and him wearing that hat and holding that cat in the upper left and just said "Nope."

That's fair. It took me a day of watching it off and on when I was bored but he does break the film down well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

That's fair. It took me a day of watching it off and on when I was bored but he does break the film down well.

Honestly, that makes it sound easier to just watch the movie if I wanted to know how bad it was.

Here's a twelve hour film about how boring Empire is (The Andy Warhol film, not the tv show with Terrence Howard).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He dies pretty early in the film and the rest of it is Naomi Watts following detailed instructions he left that take literally everything into account. Then at the end she doesn't actually kill the bad guy but he kills himself anyway.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

He dies pretty early in the film and the rest of it is Naomi Watts following detailed instructions he left that take literally everything into account. Then at the end she doesn't actually kill the bad guy but he kills himself anyway.

Did the kid's plan incorporate the guy killing himself?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did the kid's plan incorporate the guy killing himself?

More importantly Did the kid's mother ever read his diary and think "Holy poo poo, I was raising a psychopath?"

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Kinda reminds me of this movie my friend randomly got a hold of, Cornbread, Earl, and Me about a cool young basketball player in the hood with a dope theme song too and he had everything going for him and the movie was all lighthearted and stuff except halfway through the movie he gets loving shot and the rest of the movie is a courtroom drama

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Assignment is really weird. It's an action movie without any action. Which would be fine, and would allow some roome for characters, except it doesn't have any characters.

There is a bit where Michell Rodriguez walks around with a fake dick, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

There is a bit where Michell Rodriguez walks around with a fake dick, though.

Sold.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zenguitarman posted:

Kinda reminds me of this movie my friend randomly got a hold of, Cornbread, Earl, and Me about a cool young basketball player in the hood with a dope theme song too and he had everything going for him and the movie was all lighthearted and stuff except halfway through the movie he gets loving shot and the rest of the movie is a courtroom drama
One of my favorite personal examples of weird tonal shifts in a movie is that Robin Williams movie Man of the Year, where he's basically playing Jon Stewart who runs for president. Except the last half of the movie turns into a weird thriller for some reason. None of that was in the advertising, of course.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

One of my favorite personal examples of weird tonal shifts in a movie is that Robin Williams movie Man of the Year, where he's basically playing Jon Stewart who runs for president. Except the last half of the movie turns into a weird thriller for some reason. None of that was in the advertising, of course.

Isn't he in another movie that does the same thing? World's Greatest Dad, and his son dies halfway through.

In the Bedroom does a similar thing, but I don't want spoil it. (I recognize I've kinda spoiled it)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

Dan owns so your loss for sure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Dan owns so your loss for sure.

Is it funny? that's the only excuse for spending 40 minutes talking about a 2 hour film. The guy who first recommended the video says it took him a day to watch the 40 minute video, which again is a terrible recommendation. A guy spends 40 minutes talking about horrible a movie is, if he's not being funny I don't get the point of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Is it funny? that's the only excuse for spending 40 minutes talking about a 2 hour film. The guy who first recommended the video says it took him a day to watch the 40 minute video, which again is a terrible recommendation. A guy spends 40 minutes talking about horrible a movie is, if he's not being funny I don't get the point of it.

Let me tell you about a little thing called 'Red Letter Media'

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
They Drive By Night is two half-movies put together too, but it works well enough

https://youtu.be/Qqaql-FSvHQ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember catching part of Man of the Year on cable years ago and it was the scene where Laura Linney is having a really sad mental breakdown in some public place and I couldn't figure out how the gently caress that was supposed to fit into what was advertised as a Robin Williams comedy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Esquire's write-up of Book of Henry is what I read, I feel it does a better job breaking down the actual beat-by-beat plot of the movie.

Snowman_McK posted:

Let me tell you about a little thing called 'Red Letter Media'

The Plinkett reviews rely heavily on using footage from the movie to illustrate their arguments and for humor, that dude is just yammering into a camera for 40 minutes with no editing or even a decent mic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Isn't he in another movie that does the same thing? World's Greatest Dad, and his son dies halfway through.

I don't think that's a tonal shift, it's the entire advertised plot of the movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The new Transformers movie only brought in $45.3 mil domestically over the 3 day weekend ($69.1 mil in 5 days) which is very low for these kinds of movies. This will clean up internationally (particularly in China), but that has to be disappointing for the studio.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They probably expected this since the last movie made less than its budget domestically but received 320 million in China alone. The Last Knight's China partnerships and promotions seems to be even more extensive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah The Last Knight already made $196 million in the foreign markets on opening weekend, $123m of that coming from China. It'll probably push close to a billion dollars worldwide again regardless of how it does domestically.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The MSJ posted:

They probably expected this since the last movie made less than its budget domestically but received 320 million in China alone. The Last Knight's China partnerships and promotions seems to be even more extensive.

Expectation was $70M domestic which is pretty much what it did.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Are we at the point where they make these movies for China first and domestic is just an afterthought?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Are we at the point where they make these movies for China first and domestic is just an afterthought?

No, because the Chinese box office numbers are inflated.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

China might be half the global market for Transformers (though I think knockoffs factor into that significantly) so I wouldn't be surprised if these movies get even more China-centric.

Just watch them give Transformers 6 to Zhang Yimou.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 26, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

House of Flying Optimus would be pretty awesome.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I mean, given the prominent placement of the HuaHua production company in the opening credits I wonder how much of the funding is Chinese already.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Has anyone written a good article about how much money the studio makes back from a place like China?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has anyone written a good article about how much money the studio makes back from a place like China?

Confidential as hell, but the estimated is about 25% of gross as opposed to 90+ percent of gross for the US on opening week.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Remulak posted:

Confidential as hell, but the estimated is about 25% of gross as opposed to 90+ percent of gross for the US on opening week.

And limited by how you get the money out of the country.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

House of Flying Optimus would be pretty awesome.

Crouching Bumblebee Hidden Witwicky

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

A little bit.

Jerrod Carmichael posted:

A reason I wanted to do the film was to see what a production of that size was like and to see how comedy can translate internationally. You can say a quippy thing or something sarcastic but does that translate to China? Does it play well in India? It’s a skill.

On the first day, I said something that I thought was really funny and I even got the crew laughing but then Michael was like, “If you’re in China, what is that joke?” And I was like, “Oh, you’re right. That joke doesn’t work in China.” So you learn to adjust.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Closest are the articles about cofunding with Chinese studios, box office numbers are a complete shell game to begin with and China has a huge history of inflating box office numbers/selling tickets for one movie but crediting another/showing movies to empty theaters around the clock/graft graft graft that even what does get reported is often wrong in ways we won't know about for years.

Speaking of funding, Luc Besson says Valerian & the City of a Thousand Planets is already 96% paid for with pre-sales, which is good because it's getting released the same weekend as Dunkirk, and it is nice to know that the pre-sales thing still works and later when the studio claims they lost tons of money on the film you know creative accounting happened. He also said the real risk was credibility, as in they won't get funded for more big weird films if it flops.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've been pointing to a poster of Valerian and telling my normie friends for weeks that this is the movie that's going to be DOA. I've got a lot of film buff rep staked on this movie failing

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Vegetable posted:

I've been pointing to a poster of Valerian and telling my normie friends for weeks that this is the movie that's going to be DOA. I've got a lot of film buff rep staked on this movie failing

smh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Where did the Valerian = DOA thing start? Comparison to the last Wachowski movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Where did the Valerian = DOA thing start? Comparison to the last Wachowski movie?

Yes. Also not a comic book movie. even though it literally is a comic book movie

• Locked thread