Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

One little hurricane and everybody decides this is just an anime thread now? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

but friend or foe, who is to say? :tinfoil:

There are no foes. We're all just shipmates on this big blue climate-change riddled spaceship called lulz.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Anime is worse than Star Citizen imo.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

shrach posted:

They don't have to pay any back, it's effectively a subsidy.

The tax credit is just a flat 20% of qualifying expenditure that they get back (it's actually stated as 25% of 80% for some reason). The amounts they have been receiving show that close to all of their expenditure counts as qualifying expenditure. This would mean they claim all their expenses relate to the qualifying video game, Squadron 42. Which is why I say it could be a little dodgy that they are confirmed to be producing ships for the MMO among other Star Citizen jobs.

Ah so the British tax payer is on the hook. Very nice of them to back CIG like that.

Now another question. Someone on Reddit tried to tell me that "you don't know that SC isn't also certified" as a British video game. I know that SQ42, and SC are split and dealt with separately, right down to the IP. So if CIG/F42 were to work on SC, one would think that SC would also have to be certified as a British video game. Which could be quite a bit harder, since CIG US has the IP, correct? Am I also correct that when filing for certification, and applying for the tax credit, it can only be one game? Could they just lump SC in with their application for SQ42?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

:discourse:

Seriously this is a must-watch. His face watching the caterpillar disappear after phasing through the cockpit window is priceless. Such a slow burn

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016
Guys, I think I've cracked the CIR code!

Space Bulldozer the MovieTM Do Not Archer distribution rights should have transferred back to fidelity visionary Crobbets around last year. With all the animation and stand-in motion capture experience CIG has, they can fully re-master Space Bulldozer the MovieTM Do Not Archer with all the missing scenes and release a 4K edition! A stroke of genius really.

Really this is good! This won't be like Freelancer where Digital Anvil was doing effects for a movie while trying to build a game, quite the opposite really.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

I believe the ELE was actually that CIG had made a new company. I think the anime fetishist dev was just outed around the same time.

I just like winding idiots in the thread up with Derek's breaking news tweets.

The new company Derek told us about 24-48 hours before it was posted on discord/here. I assume it's to protect rights after the other companies go bust, the name is a bit of a giveaway, but I dunno.

It seems beyond doubt now that CIG really can't get anything playable out the door, from what they've said the already stripped down 3.0 is being stripped back further. SQ42 is rumoured to be a mess they haven't really worked on in 2 years. Their Idris battle was a fast screensaver and one of their other ship adverts was shot in stop motion, so the rumours of low frame rates killing the 3.0 build appear to be true, not forgetting the restart every 15 minutes.

It seems Cubic Motion have removed two pages of Star Citizen stuff from their website earlier this year so I'm not sure they are involved anymore. The pattern of hiring a third party, paying them lots of cash, failing to use a lot of what is produced continues, only this time it's the A list cast movie shoot. I expect they'll salvage some of it for Citizen Con.

Unless something unexpected happens you wouldn't expect CIG to go out of business right before their most profitable 3 months of the year but does anyone really doubt it's actually happening now? Just like the game it's in slow motion.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Locked :smug:

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

alphabettitouretti posted:

Wouldn't the move be for this new company to buy the IP off Coutts when CIG goes boom.

I mean, they could, but Coutts wouldn't let go of it without their loan + interest being repaid as well, and if CIG really does go bust I don't know where they'd scrape that money up from.

Quavers posted:

The top post on Spectrum for the past 18 hours or so:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/sc-progression-since-2015-lets-be-honest

SC Progression since 2015, lets be honest!
Discussion - Yesterday at 22:17

Okay, i was just very interested in reviewing the past 2-3 years!

Honestly, i have to say, if 3.0 will hit the live server, the games progression will be very nice already.
BUT, if you take a look at what CIG was aiming for and what they where trying to predict... iam very, very worried about the future of the game, seriously!

As an example, 2015 CR was announcing 3.0 for nov/dec 2015! (Yeah it was a mistake, he knows about, but how was that even possible, being so wrong)
And today, we see they splitt up 3.0 into many more patches, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3,... and it took them 2 YEARS to get that far!!
So was CR lying to us? Was he aware of the fact, it will take them 2 additions years before they can release 3.0?
Or was he just totaly far away from reality? Not able to imagine the size of the whole project and absolutely not able to predict any kind of release dates.
If so, how can he handle the money, if he isnt even able to predict the projects size and what time it takes?

I dont know, all i can talk about are facts, like the incredible delay of 3.0 and it was announced for winter 2015 already!

Dont get me wrong, i give CIG all time they need and i respect the guys a lot and hope they dont burn out someday, because theyre working day and night at all locations obvisously!
But we need to be mature aswell, and try to talk about stuff, that went wrong and istn going all to well!

Ill post you 2 videos, that speak for themsefl!
CitizenCon 2015 --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IehITxsK4Fs
CitizenCon 2016 --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDj5v81Nd0

You can see the huge, huge diference in what CIG was aiming for and where at today!
And if we look further, it might take them untill the end of 2018, before 3.3 goes live!! ( I expect 4 months between 3.0 and 3.1, and so on )

Yeah, no doubt, 3.0 will be a big step forward, but its only a tiny peace of the whole project! We dont have serious gameplay elements in the game. No serious flight model yet, how can they even design SQ42 mission without a proper flightmodel?
And if we get the stamina system and a serious flight model, only then we will see if this all works together and makes fun!! Or is all this realism just very bad for the fun and gameplay?!

I expect to see the whole stanton system mid 2019, and then we have ONE star system out of 100 finished!
With this kind of developementspeed it will take them another 10 years until we reach 100 starsystems, that are much more as generic copy paste systems!

In the end i always come to the same question, is there anyone who does have a serious overview over the whole project and the money? Who can predict, how long this project will need until SQ42 is finished and the core gameplay has been finished?
There are so many questions and the further developement goes, the more silly features like Faceware, the new Staminasystem and even survival mechanics, like eating and drinking (Erin Roberts talked about it at Gaemscom), appear.
I dont know, but it always feels like the game goes 2 steps forward and 1 1/2 back!

Flight model: Yeah i know, everyone is ranting about it but lets talk about obvious facts. With 2.0 / 2.6 the whole flight model was reworked. We got 4 flightmodes and a much slower, wing commander styled flight model. And the result? I took them at least half a year to rework it and the result is a bad joke. The community is extremly upset about the current flightmodel. We have a precise flightmode, for landing and starting, what a joke. Ships currently land like bricks and start like ufos without any physics behind. So for what was the precice mode?
Was even anyone playing SC and testing the precicse mode, how it looks landing with it?
Now we need a totaly new, reworked flightmodel aswell and this will consume a lot of time and resources again!

The same with ship models! Yeah i realy love the new quality of reworked ships but when will it end? In 2 years we might have a chance to see one finished star system and then they will start to rework the ship models again? Well, it always feels, like they are wasting way to much time and money because of this pure prefection sickness.
Isnt it smart to develope a stable and simple version of SC first, with its core mechanics and gameplay elements and start to polish eye candy ect after this happend?
I guess no, because reworked ships are good ways, to open ship sales and get additional money, so its kind of a nightmare they where calling with this strategy.

But i also have to say, i realy love the frequently community updates and developement infos!
I love this so much and i realy enjoy being part of this develpement progress, able to watch the baby steps every week.
I dont doubt a single moment, spending money for this project! Even if this dream doesnt come true, i wont regret it, its worth every cent to me!

Doesnt change the fact, the current state of the game, compared to what was CIG talking about since 2015 is a bad joke, honestly!
Dont call me a negative one, iam not ranting, nore am am i trolling! I just want to point out what CIG is doing well and what doesnt go well, i want to talk about facts!
Take a look at the 2 videos yourself and get your own oppinion about it!

Top replies:

:lol: It's already been locked.

[edit]^^^drat you! :argh:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Also:

What happened to complete transparency and treating us like a publisher?

:smuggo:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

drat you His Nibs Boraxx :argh:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Another wild guess about the new company :

CG has stopped giving any pretense to the notion of "All pledge money going to developpment" for a while now and backers seem fine with it. Would it be possible the crobblers is looking at using backers funds or funds directly derived from backers funding to buy back the old Wing Commander IP form EA ? That IP has been dead in the water for 10 years and they have the much more valuable Starwars contract with Disney now.

We know crobblets wanted to buy back the IP in the begining but could not agree to terms with EA. Now that he has the Shitizen cult wallets as his personnal piggybank maybe he think he can pull it off.

a) Annouce the buyback of Wing Commander IP from evil publisher EA at CitizenCon

b) Announce a New Wing Commander MMO - Cancel SC and SQ42 (while transering all pledge to the future game accounts)

c) Build a custom engine or go UE4.

d) Profit for another 5-7 years (Developpement just started !).

Think the backer are stupid enough that this could work ?

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 10, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

his nibs posted:

Also:

Your thread locking skills are on fire today

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

aleksendr posted:

CG has stopped giving any pretense to the notion of "All pledge money going to developpment" for a while now and backers seem fine with it. Would it be possible the crobblers is looking at using backers funds or funds directly derived form backers funding to buy back the old Wing Commander IP form EA ? That IP has been dead in the water for 10 years and they have the much more valuable Starwars contract with Disney now.

We know crobblets wanted to buy back the IP in the begining but could not agree to terms with EA. Now that he has the Shitizen cult wallets as his personnal piggybank maybe he think he can pull it off.

a) Annouce the buyback of Wing Commander IP from evil publisher EA at CitizenCon

b) Announce a New Wing Commander MMO - Cancel SC and SQ42 (while transering all pledge to the future game accounts)

The sad thing is we dont really know. If i was CR i wouldnt be able to sleep because of wild laughter attacks.

e: Also whats the deal with all these lurker shame lists? Just leave them alone

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Why does all these landing zone shots look like town squares? Everything is centralized around a single core.

I have a theory that CIG is expecting to buy the rights back from Coutts when they sell the whole thing in a fire sale just to recoup some money from the loan.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Why does all these landing zone shots look like town squares? Everything is centralized around a single core.

almost like an FPS map

:thunk:

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Rei or Asuka?

Wow, that has it's very own wikipedia page, the saddest one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asuka_vs_Rei

e: quality snipe here!

Neither, the entire point of that anime was that both are poo poo and japan's continued misunderstanding of the situation has turned Anno into one of the most hilariously bitter old men on the planet.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."

106 posts made by Girl Drink Drunk, an average of 0.03 posts per day, since registering on Jan 1, 2007

:justpost:

Hi. I have no involvement or investment with SC, but reading about it makes me feel better about the $25 I threw at Unsung Story - that at least still has a chance of releasing.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

his nibs posted:

Also:

When I've finished answering a paid client's questions I like to sign off with "You are dismissed"

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Young Freud posted:

I have a theory that CIG is expecting to buy the rights back from Coutts when they sell the whole thing in a fire sale just to recoup some money from the loan.

How much, at auction, could an IP saddled with a 160 million liability could be worth ?

When IGP went bust in 2014, the Mechwarrior Tactics IP where estimated at around 4M$(Can). Wing Commander cant be worth much more

https://www.raymondchabot.com/en/wp...5747241737b.pdf

tuxedomarx
Sep 10, 2017

toanoradian posted:

Oh my god have you seen this season's...*looks up MyAnimeList* "Gamers!"? As it is apparently about gamers, it is very congruent with this thread!

it's unironically good

it's about a squad of high schoolers playing games and cheating on each other

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

I believe when the loan news leaked, CIG said the rights involved didn't cover Star Citizen, just SQ42.

As Chris Roberts lost the rights to Wing Commander the game and signed over for ten years or something the rights to the movie. I can fully see him wanting to protect the rights to SC and SQ42 even with no plan to use them soon.

Five, ten years down the line though, who knows.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Young Freud posted:

As others have said, that would be fraud. Maybe the idea is to licence out the IP or the whole game to somebody who thinks they can actually make it. Trap card would be activated because they'd have to work with and interact with Chris as the visionary.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
For anyone concerned Derek is still linking to his tweets in the Irma GBS thread so he's not dead yet.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

I survived Andrew. Irma ain't poo poo.
:911:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Virtual Captain posted:

As others have said, that would be fraud. Maybe the idea is to licence out the IP or the whole game to somebody who thinks they can actually make it. Trap card would be activated because they'd have to work with and interact with Chris as the visionary.

They can just pay that loan off with all that sweet Citizen Con, Nov sale, Dec sale money.

SQ42 rights returned. Loan might just have been needed to get them this far into the big sale season.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

kilus aof posted:

Wow. So he has some sort of stupid plan to go from the Wank Pod station to some comm array without hyperdrive that will take three real time and 10 hours into it he glitches out a window. And now he is live again doing the exact thing from the start. That's the sort of exciting and engaging gameplay only Star Citizen can deliver.

I feel bad for the streamshills. What a boring and soul crushing job.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

:discourse:

Seriously this is a must-watch. His face watching the caterpillar disappear after phasing through the cockpit window is priceless. Such a slow burn

The gently caress was he trying to do

EDIT: whoops should have refreshed. butwhy.gif

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

CG has stopped giving any pretense to the notion of "All pledge money going to developpment" for a while now and backers seem fine with it. Would it be possible the crobblers is looking at using backers funds or funds directly derived from backers funding to buy back the old Wing Commander IP form EA ? That IP has been dead in the water for 10 years and they have the much more valuable Starwars contract with Disney now.

Roberts does not give a gently caress about Wing Commander anymore. He could have bought the rights anytime between $12 million raised and now.

Wing Commander is just a prop to be pulled out and shoved away when it's convenient, as a reminder of "HEY CHRIS DID THIS IT WAS SO COOL REMEMBER?!".

Roberts would have to part with a fuckton of money before EA would sell the rights to him, because of spite and "oh hey, you got any more millions of backer money lying around?"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

thatguy posted:

For anyone concerned Derek is still linking to his tweets in the Irma GBS thread so he's not dead yet.

but who will link all of his tweets here? can derek possibly self reference himself everywhere that needs it?!?!

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Latin Pheonix posted:

I mean, they could, but Coutts wouldn't let go of it without their loan + interest being repaid as well, and if CIG really does go bust I don't know where they'd scrape that money up from.

This'd be hyper shady, but they could, COULD, be keeping a certain amount of money in reserve specifically to pay off that loan. In fact, if they're telling the truth about it being just tax credits then all they need to do is take the tax credits they get plus whatever shavings they can get from the bottom of the barrel and pay back Coutts so long as they survive that long. Obviously this is entirely speculation on my part.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bootcha posted:

Roberts does not give a gently caress about Wing Commander anymore.

This is evidenced in having Ben scrabble around for a few thousand dollars to buy all the WC history, Chris didn't lift a finger lol

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

big nipples big life posted:

Oh also Derek called someone a coward for blocking him on twitter. The lols were quite choice.

I'm still laughing at this.

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

TheGodofIris posted:

I'm still laughing at this.

Tane.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mu77ley posted:

This. I guess they have very real worries about being able to pay back Coutts and are trying to protect the lovely lore and good name of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 so Crobbers can try and hawk it off as some kind of second-hand lovely idea salesman.

Not sure where they law stands with regards to signing away your IP in a loan deal and then trying to move it out of the company to rip off the bank though (if that is indeed what they are doing).

This shell corp has no reason to exist. They don't need another company to handle licensing when they already have two shell companies (CIG, RSI) which don't do anything except hold assets and move money around.

This is an exit move. And doing it end of Aug, starts the 90 days clock after which they can legally move IP and assets from the companies they are going to dump, and into this new company. If they pay off their two UK loans in the process, then they won't have issues with the creditors (banks etc). Which means that they would only have backers to answer to.

Mark my words, this is happening. The project is dead. Any money they get now, is going towards funding their exit.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

Oh also Derek called someone a coward for blocking him on twitter. The lols were quite choice.

That one is wonderful :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Pilz posted:

This'd be hyper shady, but they could, COULD, be keeping a certain amount of money in reserve specifically to pay off that loan. In fact, if they're telling the truth about it being just tax credits then all they need to do is take the tax credits they get plus whatever shavings they can get from the bottom of the barrel and pay back Coutts so long as they survive that long. Obviously this is entirely speculation on my part.

Very plausible. Guessing their plans for the loan is hobbled a bit by not knowing how much it's for (20% of development costs is going to be a substantial sum though, it won't be pocket change). Alternatively the loan could in fact be exactly what it said on the tin - a short-term float until the UK government coughs up the tax credits - and CIG are hoping their application gets processed quickly. Speculating too much on the loan starts running into stuff we just don't know, and won't know until after the dust settles.

One last thing to bear in mind though - if Coutts do ever take possession of the IP in the event of default, they're not going to hold onto it. They'll firesale it as quickly as possible for as much as they can get, and write the rest off. It's very possible that a well-placed phoenix company could be the only bidder at the auction and buy the assets back for a knockdown price.

EDIT: Also bear in mind the Squadron 42 IP is securing the Coutts loan. CIG still holds Star Citizen itself free and clear. How exactly Coutts would extract the two is an open question.