Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Zzr posted:

good civilisation.

anime spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

*sees a few hundred posts in this thread*

Hmm, something interesting must have come up last night, maybe a new discovery was made or-

*Anime posts*

:yikes:

Also I would love to see CIG try to offload its IP rights to the new shell company, mainly because if it tried that Coutts would immediately block the move, given that CIG can't dispose of their IP rights without their prior consent.

p.s. Misato is best lesbian waifu

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

*rushes into thread, completely exhausted, trying to catch his breath

Have I....have...*cough*....have it heard that right on the news?

Has a CIG junior developer....LEFT?

*cough

More...more importantly...did....did someone call that? I need more intel!

*takes a deep breath, wipes sweat from forehead

...also, has someone....

*heavy breathing

...someone said Many of Many Anuses yet?

*coughcough

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/rceallen/status/896012860903624704

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Because Roberts Space Industries, Foundry 42, Cloud Imperium Games and the other companies can't protect the IP's?

I get why you would do something like this at the start, but at this stage, and after taking out a loan where those IP's make up the collateral? Sounds like a good way to get sued by a bank.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Latin Pheonix posted:

*sees a few hundred posts in this thread*

Hmm, something interesting must have come up last night, maybe a new discovery was made or-

*Anime posts*

:yikes:

Also I would love to see CIG try to offload its IP rights to the new shell company, mainly because if it tried that Coutts would immediately block the move, given that CIG can't dispose of their IP rights without their prior consent.

p.s. Misato is best lesbian waifu

If they think this is the way to prevent SQ42 from being taken off them when they put the whole company up for the loan. They probably went looking for this loophole before they exited the front door of Coutts offices.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

stingtwo posted:

If they think this is the way to prevent SQ42 from being taken off them when they put the whole company up for the loan. They probably went looking for this loophole before they exited the front door of Coutts offices.

Do we know any more about CiG's Gamescom cash begging drive from other devs/companies?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

if British economy is leveraged on the success of RSI/Foundry 42 UK then EU will rejoice that BREXIT happened lol

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

Seriously, F.E.A.R loving rules. Try playing it the way I played it on stream, seriously, it owns. No slo mo, hardest difficulty, keep moving, as much dakka as possible. You die a lot but you get some truly brutal moments and it's frenetic as all hell

I did something similar back when FEAR was released, and it was awesome. But I cheated at some points where I wasn't able to advance without slo mo/died too often. Then again, I haven't been through the "From Games school of thought" back then, which taught me that it ain't wether I'm good or bad at gaming, it's about how often I try a certain situation until I can master it. Also gently caress Loran Darkbeast, Defiled Watchdog and the loving Amigdala in the chalice dungeons, as well as Blue Smelter Daemon!!!

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?
Watching livestreams of hurricane irma, this is the youtube chat lol

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So what's the official explanation for the new company?

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Second Sun posted:

he was sexually attracted to pigeons bro

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Second Sun posted:

More companies = better fidelity

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

There isn't ever enough layers of legal blameworthy companies.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Is Ortwin's mobile phone broken? Normally, he would have already been wheeled out to say that everything is fine, and creating this many companies is totally normal.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Warhawk109 posted:

I had a question about that tax credit. From what I remember from their UK tax filling, they were operating at a loss. So they were paying very little, if any tax. The tax credit they receive seemed to exceed whatever they paid in taxes. So are they effectively getting free money courtesy of the British tax payer? Also, does this money basically have to be paid back upon release? My understanding is that the credit is based on future profits, and then at launch they pay the taxes they should been paying during development, is this correct?

They don't have to pay any back, it's effectively a subsidy.

The tax credit is just a flat 20% of qualifying expenditure that they get back (it's actually stated as 25% of 80% for some reason). The amounts they have been receiving show that close to all of their expenditure counts as qualifying expenditure. This would mean they claim all their expenses relate to the qualifying video game, Squadron 42. Which is why I say it could be a little dodgy that they are confirmed to be producing ships for the MMO among other Star Citizen jobs.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

shrach posted:

They don't have to pay any back, it's effectively a subsidy.

The tax credit is just a flat 20% of qualifying expenditure that they get back (it's actually stated as 25% of 80% for some reason). The amounts they have been receiving show that close to all of their expenditure counts as qualifying expenditure. This would mean they claim all their expenses relate to the qualifying video game, Squadron 42. Which is why I say it could be a little dodgy that they are confirmed to be producing ships for the MMO among other Star Citizen jobs.

Be a shame if HMRC were to hear about that...

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Latin Pheonix posted:

Wouldn't the move be for this new company to buy the IP off Coutts when CIG goes boom.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Wow. So he has some sort of stupid plan to go from the Wank Pod station to some comm array without hyperdrive that will take three real time and 10 hours into it he glitches out a window. And now he is live again doing the exact thing from the start. That's the sort of exciting and engaging gameplay only Star Citizen can deliver.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kilus aof posted:

Wow. So he has some sort of stupid plan to go from the Wank Pod station to some comm array without hyperdrive that will take three real time and 10 hours into it he glitches out a window. And now he is live again doing the exact thing from the start. That's the sort of exciting and engaging gameplay only Star Citizen can deliver.

The look on his face is priceless.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

The look on his face is priceless.

One of the Twitch comments:

"I knew it would be a risky move walking around"

It's risky WALKING AROUND in a ship you are meant to walk around in.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

happyhippy posted:

One of the Twitch comments:

"I knew it would be a risky move walking around"

It's risky WALKING AROUND in a ship you are meant to walk around in.

The only security maximum move is to seat on toilet and take a ben sized poo poo.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is that an example of dereks prediction of 32x2 bit positioning becoming more uncertain the further away you are from a center point?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
enquiring minds want to rub.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

there is no protection against goons.

Because we made a business of scamming and trolling some of the stupidest people to ever exist on EvE Online all things are now possible and within our grasp.

To be fair, these are people who gave money to and continue to hold the torch for Star Citizen. It's remarkably self aware for them to know they'd be defenseless against Goons.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

by Emily Gera Feb 20, 2014, 7:47am EST

It looks like Kingdom Come releases in Feb 2018 so obviously whatever tech they traded with CIG they immediately discarded

KC decided to pick the cryengine for a single player or small scale multiplayer, character focused game in the middle ages, thus playing to cryengine strenght (beautifull rendering of nature, nice character models) and downplaying its weaknesses (Vehicules are always feeling floaty, poor handling of physics and the engine poo poo itself if anything move too fast)

The crobblets picked cryengine because they (Cryteck) offered him to build his kickstarter sizzle real for free. The game he want to make hit all the engine weak points (floaty vehicules, low multplayer capacity, poor physics, server crash if things move too fast) and only one of its strenght (nice character models)

With Kingdom Come released, Warhorse will move on making another game and/or DLCs. Meanwhile SC just started real production last month !

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
so where is AP's breaking news ele thing?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lladre posted:

so where is AP's breaking news ele thing?

A junior programmer left CIG. There's no way they can survive this.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

big nipples big life posted:

:discourse:

:laffo:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

But what if he was their last programmer? :ohdear:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Oh also Derek called someone a coward for blocking him on twitter. The lols were quite choice.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Has anyone actually sat down and totalled up all the companies that Ortwin has ever owned/ been part of?
Must be quite a few by now.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dogeh posted:

Has anyone actually sat down and totalled up all the companies that Ortwin has ever owned/ been part of?
Must be quite a few by now.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The top post on Spectrum for the past 18 hours or so:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/sc-progression-since-2015-lets-be-honest

SC Progression since 2015, lets be honest!
Discussion - Yesterday at 22:17

Okay, i was just very interested in reviewing the past 2-3 years!

Honestly, i have to say, if 3.0 will hit the live server, the games progression will be very nice already.
BUT, if you take a look at what CIG was aiming for and what they where trying to predict... iam very, very worried about the future of the game, seriously!

As an example, 2015 CR was announcing 3.0 for nov/dec 2015! (Yeah it was a mistake, he knows about, but how was that even possible, being so wrong)
And today, we see they splitt up 3.0 into many more patches, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3,... and it took them 2 YEARS to get that far!!
So was CR lying to us? Was he aware of the fact, it will take them 2 additions years before they can release 3.0?
Or was he just totaly far away from reality? Not able to imagine the size of the whole project and absolutely not able to predict any kind of release dates.
If so, how can he handle the money, if he isnt even able to predict the projects size and what time it takes?

I dont know, all i can talk about are facts, like the incredible delay of 3.0 and it was announced for winter 2015 already!

Dont get me wrong, i give CIG all time they need and i respect the guys a lot and hope they dont burn out someday, because theyre working day and night at all locations obvisously!
But we need to be mature aswell, and try to talk about stuff, that went wrong and istn going all to well!

Ill post you 2 videos, that speak for themsefl!
CitizenCon 2015 --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IehITxsK4Fs
CitizenCon 2016 --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDj5v81Nd0

You can see the huge, huge diference in what CIG was aiming for and where at today!
And if we look further, it might take them untill the end of 2018, before 3.3 goes live!! ( I expect 4 months between 3.0 and 3.1, and so on )

Yeah, no doubt, 3.0 will be a big step forward, but its only a tiny peace of the whole project! We dont have serious gameplay elements in the game. No serious flight model yet, how can they even design SQ42 mission without a proper flightmodel?
And if we get the stamina system and a serious flight model, only then we will see if this all works together and makes fun!! Or is all this realism just very bad for the fun and gameplay?!

I expect to see the whole stanton system mid 2019, and then we have ONE star system out of 100 finished!
With this kind of developementspeed it will take them another 10 years until we reach 100 starsystems, that are much more as generic copy paste systems!

In the end i always come to the same question, is there anyone who does have a serious overview over the whole project and the money? Who can predict, how long this project will need until SQ42 is finished and the core gameplay has been finished?
There are so many questions and the further developement goes, the more silly features like Faceware, the new Staminasystem and even survival mechanics, like eating and drinking (Erin Roberts talked about it at Gaemscom), appear.
I dont know, but it always feels like the game goes 2 steps forward and 1 1/2 back!

Flight model: Yeah i know, everyone is ranting about it but lets talk about obvious facts. With 2.0 / 2.6 the whole flight model was reworked. We got 4 flightmodes and a much slower, wing commander styled flight model. And the result? I took them at least half a year to rework it and the result is a bad joke. The community is extremly upset about the current flightmodel. We have a precise flightmode, for landing and starting, what a joke. Ships currently land like bricks and start like ufos without any physics behind. So for what was the precice mode?
Was even anyone playing SC and testing the precicse mode, how it looks landing with it?
Now we need a totaly new, reworked flightmodel aswell and this will consume a lot of time and resources again!

The same with ship models! Yeah i realy love the new quality of reworked ships but when will it end? In 2 years we might have a chance to see one finished star system and then they will start to rework the ship models again? Well, it always feels, like they are wasting way to much time and money because of this pure prefection sickness.
Isnt it smart to develope a stable and simple version of SC first, with its core mechanics and gameplay elements and start to polish eye candy ect after this happend?
I guess no, because reworked ships are good ways, to open ship sales and get additional money, so its kind of a nightmare they where calling with this strategy.

But i also have to say, i realy love the frequently community updates and developement infos!
I love this so much and i realy enjoy being part of this develpement progress, able to watch the baby steps every week.
I dont doubt a single moment, spending money for this project! Even if this dream doesnt come true, i wont regret it, its worth every cent to me!

Doesnt change the fact, the current state of the game, compared to what was CIG talking about since 2015 is a bad joke, honestly!
Dont call me a negative one, iam not ranting, nore am am i trolling! I just want to point out what CIG is doing well and what doesnt go well, i want to talk about facts!
Take a look at the 2 videos yourself and get your own oppinion about it!

Top replies:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

aleksendr posted:

The crobblets picked cryengine because they (Cryteck) offered him to build his kickstarter sizzle real for free. The game he want to make hit all the engine weak points (floaty vehicules, low multplayer capacity, poor physics, server crash if things move too fast) and only one of its strenght (nice character models)

This was posted a super long time ago and I just found it again this morning:

https://youtu.be/bzYhwHfDZrw?t=4948
Person1: "They didn't take the time to consult anybody to find out if the engine would ever actually be able to support any of those things"
Person2: "No, no-no-no. They did consult somebody, and what did they tell them?"
Person1: "Uhh I can't name names on that one, but yes. Close personal friend told them 'NO.'"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
While the thread wallows in weird turns it's of mild interest looking at who's viewing the subforum. The lurkers are an interesting cross-section of long-time SA lurkers replete with avs, former Star Citizens with recently acquired platinum accounts, and a few people with old accounts that long precede the SC saga, but friend or foe, who is to say? :tinfoil:

106 posts made by One_Wing, an average of 0.05 posts per day, since registering on Feb 18, 2012

157 posts made by harmless_fun, an average of 0.04 posts per day, since registering on Sep 24, 2007

90 posts made by Geguri Gegogi, an average of 0.04 posts per day, since registering on Oct 13, 2010

106 posts made by Girl Drink Drunk, an average of 0.03 posts per day, since registering on Jan 1, 2007

9 posts made by Escolopendra, an average of 0.01 posts per day, since registering on Nov 4, 2013

1 posts made by Slorgh, an average of 0.00 posts per day, since registering on Apr 3, 2016

0 posts made by Shackleton, an average of 0.00 posts per day, since registering on Jun 15, 2006

46 posts made by roflingstones, an average of 0.02 posts per day, since registering on May 19, 2009

3 posts made by UPU, an average of 0.00 posts per day, since registering on Oct 20, 2010

:justpost:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

I believe the ELE was actually that CIG had made a new company. I think the anime fetishist dev was just outed around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard