Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ettin posted:

* there are now five Discords *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Link? :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe I'm such a magnet for drama that posting 420/69 managed to lead to bad blood.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Ettin will keep the discord free of drama by not inviting anyone to it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ettin is the only real person that posts on TG: everyone else is a sockpuppet. As such, he doesn't need to invite anyone else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Ettin is the only real person that posts on TG: everyone else is a sockpuppet. As such, he doesn't need to invite anyone else.
Funnily enough, this is the second time in 24 hours I've been (jokingly) accused of being a sockpuppet.

e: remember the good old days, when we were all Red_Mage?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: remember the good old days, when we were all Red_Mage?
If that were true, we should all have gotten a share of the stolen kickstarter money, shouldn't we?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Speaking of drama, I still have no idea what the red mage kickstarter thing was.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Short form: back in the grogs.txt days, Red_Mage and Gau started a tabletop company (mainly out of spite) and did a kickstarter for a Ravenloft-esque 13th Age setting. It funded back in 2013, progressed okay for a while, then R_M vanished with the KS money before the book was finished.

Last year Savage Mojo stepped in and managed to bring in people to finish up the book and actually deliver it.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Tekopo posted:

Checks out

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Short form: back in the grogs.txt days, Red_Mage and Gau started a tabletop company (mainly out of spite) and did a kickstarter for a Ravenloft-esque 13th Age setting. It funded back in 2013, progressed okay for a while, then R_M vanished with the KS money before the book was finished.

Last year Savage Mojo stepped in and managed to bring in people to finish up the book and actually deliver it.

That got finished? What's the title? Is it on Drivethru?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Don't know about you guys but I'm actually 10,000 kobolds in a very very very big trenchcoat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

drunkencarp posted:

That got finished? What's the title? Is it on Drivethru?

Yup.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't know about you guys but I'm actually 10,000 kobolds in a very very very big trenchcoat.
Dog-kobolods or lizard-kobolds?

This is important.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kobold dimorphism is reminding me of an idea I had for a fantasy setting where the phrase "kobold" is generally used to describe "vermin" races so-named by haughty natural philosophers from some ruling empire. They pick apart everything related to the biology and anatomy of the creature and document reproduction and everything and then ultimately declare them kobolds.

To which Tiamat responds "d'awww, they're my babies now" and supernaturally adopts the entire species, using her powers to change everything about the creature so that they differ just slightly from what the philosophers have discovered and for good measure make them completely fertile with all other kobolds. The moment a species is declared a kobold, the ecosystem gets slapped in the face because the species starts giving birth to bipedal lizards, bipedal dogs, sentient lichen colonies, beetle-taurs, etc. and the kobold gains a massive foothold in the ecosystem due to increased diversity.

It is now A Problem because 20 or so species are lumped under the banner of kobold and the ecological disruptions keep getting worse but the philosophers don't care.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

FMguru posted:

Dog-kobolods or lizard-kobolds?

This is important.

Both, locked in a never ending battle to the death.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Any universe where gods are real and take cues from philosophers is going to eat itself. Gigerian monster proliferation is the least of your problems.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tiamat works in mysterious ways, my friend.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
something something turbodracula

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

slap me and kiss me posted:

Ettin will keep the discord free of drama by not inviting anyone to it.

I'm pretty sure if you just label something as part of SA it will spontaneously develop drama on its own, no humans required.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I've been thinking off and on about playing a mech-themed RPG with some friends, and some cursory googling led me to CthulhuTech. Has anyone here played it? If so, how is it? Is there a different mecha RPG that I should look into?

Thanks!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You should play it to find out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'll probably wind up doing that, I'd just like some goon opinions first if there are any.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

I've been thinking off and on about playing a mech-themed RPG with some friends, and some cursory googling led me to CthulhuTech. Has anyone here played it? If so, how is it? Is there a different mecha RPG that I should look into?

Thanks!

CthulhuTech isn't well balanced. But that's not a problem, because it's mostly known for its endless rape camps and sexually aggressive adventures. Don't play.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

King of Solomon posted:

Thanks!
It's terrible on every level

1) The system is a mess, mixing three different power levels without well-developed tools to manage the interactions between them
2) The setting is some teenager's idea of what is EDGY, which means lots of rape and rape and raperaperape. Also, racism!
3) The support material is mostly railroad-following adventure modules, taking your characters from metaplot event to metaplot event without giving them much of a chance to do anything

There's a fairly extensive writeup on the FATAL & Friends website.

My suggestion would be to look into Dream Pod 9's offerings, especially Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Yikes, good to know. I'll avoid that then. Is there a better mech themed RPG out there that you know of?

E: I'll look into Dream Pod 9's stuff, thanks!

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 7, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

King of Solomon posted:

Yikes, good to know. I'll avoid that then. Is there a better mech themed RPG out there that you know if?

Yo

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

Thanks!

Seconding the DP9 Heavy Gear recommendation; Second Edition's my personal fav. Also have a soft spot for Mechwarrior 2nd Edition, but if you want mech combat you'll need at least the BattleTech Quick Start free rules.

Fatal and Friends also has some reviews of Mecha and Mekton Zeta for other options, if you're interested.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Last Stand is a goon game about biomechs stapling bits of Godzillas to themselves. Not played it but heard good things.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

King of Solomon posted:

Thanks!

My group has been using the Kickstarter pre-release of Panic at the Dojo for mecha adventures. It works great with just a little re-flavoring.

Cascade Jones posted:

Fatal and Friends also has some reviews of Mecha and Mekton Zeta for other options, if you're interested.

By "Mecha", do you mean Chris Perrin's Mecha? Because that thing is a flaming pile of poo.
Mekton Zeta is kinda a mess, but I've heard it's passable in play.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Blasphemeral posted:

By "Mecha", do you mean Chris Perrin's Mecha? Because that thing is a flaming pile of poo.

That's the one, and that's disappointing.

Another option is Remnants, which seems fairly quick to pick up (I am a big fan of Warbirds, which uses the same dice mechanic).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Battle Century Z is probably my favorite mecha game at the moment, especially if you're looking to just do your own setting. About the only catch is that that it leans fairly heavily on tactical / hex combat, but I imagine that's more of a benefit for mecha games than a hindrance.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
As a caveat to Battle Century and its expansion, make sure your GM is aware that they should avoid any kind of extra action or free disengagement powers for enemy characters, because it breaks the combat engine and it's unfun as hell.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Battle Century Z is probably my favorite mecha game at the moment, especially if you're looking to just do your own setting. About the only catch is that that it leans fairly heavily on tactical / hex combat, but I imagine that's more of a benefit for mecha games than a hindrance.

Yeah, BCZ is great. It's got lots of great sub-game silo'ing. Your out-of-mech-pilot gets X skill and stats, and the mech gets X skills and stats, but you're never borrowing from one to pay for the other.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Blasphemeral posted:

I've played a couple of games of it and I'd rate it as "playable, but not recommended without someone who's already familiar with the system." Among other issues it's trivially easy to accidentally make a Mech that cannot be hurt, but cannot hurt others either. I may have done that with the first mech I ever made in the system.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This is going to sound insane, but bear with me: after playing Exalted 3e for the better part of a year now, I'm increasingly convinced that buried somewhere in it is the core of a really good Gundam-style mecha game, where interpersonal relationships and passionate speeches are as important from episode to episode as the giant robots. It would be a massive conversion effort, but I honestly think it's possible. Give me early access to Arms of the Chosen and a freelancer gig, Onyx Path, let's do this.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
For no particular reason, I was thumbing through a copy of D&D module AC4 The Book of Marvelous Magic, and I came across this pair of magic items which kind of sum up the old school killer DM and the extent to which is was promoted by official D&D products.

These are the only two items in the Needle category.

So, you thought you'd found a fun little minor magic item that's mostly useful for flavor, but it's actually a near-instant deathtrap unless you have a medium-level cleric with the exact right spell standing right next to you. Ha ha, serves you right! *Reaches over DM screen, takes your character sheet, tears it up in front of you, tips viking hat*

What even is the purpose of this? An instant character killer that either requires your players to ignore flavorful magic items or treat them as possible bottles of ebola-infused blood until they can be tested in carefully-controlled conditions? What if the player hasn't read semi-obscure DM book AC4 and finds a magic needle in the course of an adventure and tries to use it? What is supposed to fun or interesting or challenging about this? Note that AC4 doesn't have tables to roll items on - the DM can't even fall back on pointing at the dice and shrugging "Hey, you know a certain percentage of magic items are cursed" - the only way that Needle of Death appears in an adventure is if the DM specifically puts it there for a character to find and maybe use, thus killing him. And again, this isn't for a +5 magic sword or Staff of the Magi or Deck of Many Things - it's a loving needle that might magically fix the holes in your socks (or it might plunge into your heart, killing you). Just baffling.

Old school design, everybody!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, that's hardly an anomaly. You never use a magic item until it's been positively identified in AD&D unless you have no choice.

And rot grubs are pretty emblematic of that sort of thing.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Yeah I think that the atmosphere implied by that era of D&D was very much one of paranoia against the machinations of the DM, especially when it comes to magic items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Keep in mind as well that a good amount of that boiled down to Gygax not wanting to say "look don't do that."

Take said rot grubs. It's pretty obvious what happened. Gygax got irritated with his players going through every body no matter what, digging through corpse after corpse, in hopes of getting a few grubby gold pieces. Rather then tell them to stop, he just introduces a new monster that decentivizes it.

Same thing with ear seekers, monsters that do literally only two things: live inside wood, and burrow into ears to kill people. Why? Because he got irritated with players stopping at every single door to check to see if they could hear anything. And rather then just, you know, talk to them, like adults, you get...this poo poo.

"Wow Cirno this sounds toxic and lovely!"

Welcome to D&D.

• Locked thread