Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my game streaming service is hemorrhaging money, must be those drat twitch streamers showing it off to everyone. why aren't they paying me for the privilege of showcasing my failing service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

qirex posted:

this dude is getting ratioed into the phantom zone, including by streamers that stadia paid to promote the service

google have already released a statement distancing themselves from the twit :lol:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1319419953674637317

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i thought they cancelled stadia

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pile Of Garbage posted:

google have already released a statement distancing themselves from the twit :lol:

im lollin hard at this

https://twitter.com/Whatleydude/status/1319420750768517121?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
incredible

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmao imagine doing a stadia

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
He also removes any mention of Stadia from his Twitter Bio lmao

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is Stadia good actualy?

Can you play Fallout New Vegas or Dawn of War/Dawn of War II on it?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Schadenboner posted:

Is Stadia good actualy?

Can you play Fallout New Vegas or Dawn of War/Dawn of War II on it?

it does work, the tech to do it has been there for years. the value proposition is dodgy since its basically a hardware subscription and you still have to buy the games on top of it (in the stadia store, where it will probably fold and be taken away from you forever without recourse)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh, I thought it was a hardware/service/platform for streaming media. Like Twitch-in-a-Box or some poo poo?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not, although that would probably be a more appropriate use of the brand

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

stadia is video game landlord. a gamelord if you will

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

You can also do it yourself using the cloud hosting provider of your choice (maybe paperspace for ease of use) + parsec. Not going to be great for twitch shootmans but works well enough for civ6 or whatever

weast
Nov 7, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I used Pandora back in the day and every station you made would eventually turn into the Red Hot Chili Peppers all the time.

sorry you have bad taste

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

all these years and i am still that the most honest anroid brand there is has a tagline that reads "you will never be satisfied with our product"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i mean the whole set is bad but the gmail one wtf

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

imagine having those three fuckers lined up on your phone's screen, trying to tell them apart and decipher their meaning

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the whole point of an icon is to be a symbol that can be used in place of a word, if you design a set of icons that require more cognitive effort to distinguish from each other than reading the text of the name it's a design failure on its most fundamental level

I think this is the first time I've seen a system like this where a colorblind person might have an easier time telling them apart

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

the whole point of an icon is to be a symbol that can be used in place of a word, if you design a set of icons that require more cognitive effort to distinguish from each other than reading the text of the name it's a design failure on its most fundamental level

I think this is the first time I've seen a system like this where a colorblind person might have an easier time telling them apart

~*bRaNdInG*~

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if they had the organizational capability to listen to anyone who was good at branding they would have got rid of their idiotic fruit salad color scheme like a decade ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

it's a ... failure on its most fundamental level

yes, this is google we're talking about

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

if they had the organizational capability to listen to anyone who was good at branding they would have got rid of their idiotic fruit salad color scheme like a decade ago

but it’s whimsical and fun, you know, just like google. quirky and cute and not an advertising company.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Samsung puts adds in their phone app, but the Grey forums Android thread has a fix:

Edward IV posted:

At least you option to avoid almost all of the Samsung crap. It's even possible to replace the phone and messaging app with the stock Android ones though the phone app requires signing up for the beta program and may not work with all devices.

Having put up with Samsung apps when I got my S8 Active, being able to mostly bypass all the Samsung stuff in my S20+ is a breath of fresh air.

Just sign up for a beta and use the stock phone app that may or may not work lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the monthly "no, really, samsung is good now!" posts are always funny

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don’t understand why manufacturers still bother crapping up their phones. it doesn’t seem to bring them any value. customers seem to hate it. it’s ongoing development work to reimplement something that was already there

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

https://twitter.com/robotodd/status/1229768673352724480

salt shakeup posted:

I'm not running an adblocker and I haven't seen any ads. I've had a few prompts early on for signing up to Samsung accounts or whatever but I just declined and don't see them anymore. In the twitter replies that guy has specifically enabled and opted in to that poo poo, you can turn it off. Still - ewwwww.

EDIT: OK I decided to open the weather app and have a look around, wait for it. LMFAO also you cannot turn this off apparently? I'd never seen it because I don't scroll down this far on the weather app, but wtf. I've checked some other apps and this is the only ad I can find.

What adblocker are you using?

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

DrDork posted:

I use AdGuard. Cost a couple of bucks for a multi-year license, and it runs as an internal VPN so you can't use it and and actual VPN at the same time (which isn't an issue for me because if I'm VPNing back home then everything runs through a PiHole ad blocker anyhow). Might hit the battery some, but if it does it doesn't hit it too badly.

Absolutely blocks the vast, vast majority of ads everywhere, including in-app phone wide, which was a huge selling point for me.

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what is wrong with these people?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

infernal machines posted:

what is wrong with these people?

Apple bad, so let me use a VPN with PiHole and a beta PHONE APP which is better than iOS for reasons.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i would simply buy a phone without ads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao at this sarnsung poo poo though. even amazon would at least cut you a break on the cost of the device if you agreed to have them shove ads at you

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ill never not lol at an old coworker whose Android telephone would start playing video ads when the free version of his telephone virus scanner completed a scan

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just lol running pi-hole then basically paying for a pi-hole like vpn anyways to fix your manufacturers ads

infernal machines posted:

lmao at this sarnsung poo poo though. even amazon would at least cut you a break on the cost of the device if you agreed to have them shove ads at you

and always the option to buy out your ads like some megacorp in a gibson novel

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i would feel less lovely towards ads embedded in a hundred dollar reader than a thousand dollar telephone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

I don’t understand why manufacturers still bother crapping up their phones. it doesn’t seem to bring them any value. customers seem to hate it. it’s ongoing development work to reimplement something that was already there

i think the only one of these that is actually true is the last one. they certainly make some sort of money from the ads, and given they make $0 from selling $1000 phones, that's a positive. customers apparently don't care since they keep buying them. it's the vocal DYP people who rightfully hate them and don't buy them, but they buy pixels, so they're obviously not a typical consumer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

i think the only one of these that is actually true is the last one. they certainly make some sort of money from the ads, and given they make $0 from selling $1000 phones, that's a positive. customers apparently don't care since they keep buying them. it's the vocal DYP people who rightfully hate them and don't buy them, but they buy pixels, so they're obviously not a typical consumer

fair enough. maybe I just can’t fathom the concept that people would accept ads in their $1000 phone

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

people accept ads on their cable they pay $150/mo for, we are extremely conditioned for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

quote:

Users are reporting that although the Pixel 5 display turns off when placed on a Pixel Stand at night with the "screen off when dark" option is enabled, it suddenly turns back on after an hour or so, seemingly at maximum brightness. Affected users' Pixel Stands work fine with previous Pixel devices, so it seems like a bug that's exclusive to the Pixel 5.