Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I managed to get named emperor while helping Austria take out a chunk of Venice. Also ended up sinking a big chunk of the English navy so I think I'm now almost uncontested as king of the seas.

Now I figure I'll do my good deeds for the empire and start taking back imperial provinces Burgundy and their vassals are holding. Sadly I don't have any allies in the empire who will help, they're all pretty scared of me. Right now it looks like France is my best bet for a helper in that respect :-/

And why would I explore? I'm standing on god's own country right now! *stares out on a field of frozen moose*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

There is more frozen moose country on the other side of the sea, if that is your desire.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I've got 91 hours in EU4, though a fair bit of that is probably sitting in menu. I'm still hot garbage at the game.

What do you folks find is the best way to improve? Just keep playing? Set specific goals? Is there any nation/goal that is a good means to develop my skills?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I wish countries couldn't immediately reconvert after you force religion on them. Or that it gave them much better defense against internal conversion factors, or something. Twice in a row I've forced Ravensburg and Switzerland to convert to catholic, and welp, the adjacent reformed center flips them right back a year or two later.

Took the thing in this latest war, so it'll be the last time it happens (presumably). But still. Even farther-flung centers of reformation that you can't do anything about tend to keep converting people to heresy no matter how many times you restore the truth faith to them.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 6, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

JerikTelorian posted:

I've got 91 hours in EU4, though a fair bit of that is probably sitting in menu. I'm still hot garbage at the game.

What do you folks find is the best way to improve? Just keep playing? Set specific goals? Is there any nation/goal that is a good means to develop my skills?

At a certain point, challenge achievements (Basileus, World Conqueror, ec.) are great for stretching yourself but you want to master the game in a more sandboxy session first. What worked for me was to play different parts of the world and try different mechanics, e.g. do an "HRE run", a "keep the mamluks alive" run, and so on.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Dibujante posted:

At a certain point, challenge achievements (Basileus, World Conqueror, ec.) are great for stretching yourself but you want to master the game in a more sandboxy session first. What worked for me was to play different parts of the world and try different mechanics, e.g. do an "HRE run", a "keep the mamluks alive" run, and so on.

Thanks. A friend of mine suggested trying Muscovy, so I'm going to see if I can form Russia.
What are people's opinions on Development? Worth the MPs or not?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Only worth it if you have nothing else to spend the points on.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Thanks. A friend of mine suggested trying Muscovy, so I'm going to see if I can form Russia.

developing production (up to 9, at 10 they run the risk of depleting) for Gold mine provinces is a pretty decent investment, otherwise it's a point dump

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

JerikTelorian posted:

Rarely.

Also, Muscovy is a good pick. You get to learn about exploration and colonization, beating up on people weaker than you (Novgorod), beating up on people stronger than you (Lithuania), conquering wrong-religion provinces and strategies for dealing with that, beating up on people who are great powers (Ottomans), and then you have breathing room in the late game to do at least one weird-rear end project, like conquering China, or restoring the Pentarchy.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Dibujante posted:

Rarely.

Also, Muscovy is a good pick. You get to learn about exploration and colonization, beating up on people weaker than you (Novgorod), beating up on people stronger than you (Lithuania), conquering wrong-religion provinces and strategies for dealing with that, beating up on people who are great powers (Ottomans), and then you have breathing room in the late game to do at least one weird-rear end project, like conquering China, or restoring the Pentarchy.

Awesome. Out of curiosity, where exactly is Muscovy/Russia colonizing? Eastwards into siberia?

The other times I played, I played a Western nation. Should I be thinking about Westerning, or is Eastern good enough to not have to worry about that?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

developing production (up to 9, at 10 they run the risk of depleting) for Gold mine provinces is a pretty decent investment, otherwise it's a point dump

Up to 10 actually. The tooltip is inaccurate.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

JerikTelorian posted:

Never worth the MPs unless you're ahead in all techs or you're trying to get a culture accepted, or gold mines.

I would try something more challenging than Russia. Do Tabarestan -> Persia or something like that. Not impossible or anything, but tough. Also always play iron-man, if you're not already.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Awesome. Out of curiosity, where exactly is Muscovy/Russia colonizing? Eastwards into siberia?

The other times I played, I played a Western nation. Should I be thinking about Westerning, or is Eastern good enough to not have to worry about that?

Yeah, it's possible to head west into North America but you'd need to beat up Norway or tech up a lot for the range to do it, and you don't have a good way of funneling that trade home. You can take Exploration and beeline across Siberia to get Pacific Ocean access and do some colonizing in SE Asia, West coast of the Americas, maybe African Cape if you get there quickly. Or just stick to Siberia.

Generally you can remain Eastern tech throughout the game without falling much behind, if at all. However you get a free Westernization by owning Danzig/Gdansk, see if you can grab that. I wouldn't pay for one as Russia, no.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

the HRE does not like to be at peace. That is very sad to me, the Emperor.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

JerikTelorian posted:

Siberia, unless you want to Make Things Weird and do a North Sea trade and new world colonization strategy. You basically have to conquer Scandinavia for that to work.

If you get really swole you can also break through Persia and colonize the Spice Islands.

As for westernization, it's really up to you now. It used to be a bad deal: since you used to be able to annex vassals for free, and Eastern tech allowed you to vassalize anyone in Asia, westernizing was a bad bet. Now that annexing vassals costs dip points, it isn't so cut and dried. You can westernize for free if you conquer Danzig/Gdansk, which is admittedly pretty far away.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dibujante posted:

A new dev diary is up! Long live permanent claims!

e: huh, apparently I've been blessed with a new avatar, too. I remember you, BonziBuddy! That's because I'm old as poo poo.

I'm imagining a player who doesn't already know what 'Agitate for Liberty' is. The player is looking at this tooltip. Is there any reasonable way for them to figure out what it is, other than going to the wiki? (There's no reason why you'd assume that Agitate for Liberty was an idea instead of some kind of event modifier.)

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm imagining a player who doesn't already know what 'Agitate for Liberty' is. The player is looking at this tooltip. Is there any reasonable way for them to figure out what it is, other than going to the wiki? (There's no reason why you'd assume that Agitate for Liberty was an idea instead of some kind of event modifier.)

It should probably be replaced with something like "Agitation by foreign agents".

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Newbie 1.13 Je maintiendrai question:

Playing as Holland, I won an easy independence war w/ France and Austria as allies and took Breda and am currently working my way towards Utrecht and Gelre and shouldn't have too many problems there (aside maybe from HRE revocations, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.) It's 1454. I've managed to hold on to my France alliance but my Austrian alliance went south and it looks unlikely that I'll be able to kick it back up... I have a RM with Austria but I still have that -50 "Already has a strong alliance" hit.

The problem is Friesland, who early on during my independence war applied to become a Free City. I can't think of a way to nab Friesland without pissing off Austria and dragging France into a continental bloodbath (which I probably won't be able to do, considering I may end up needing France's help with utrecth and/or gelre), aside from maybe waiting until Austria is in one of their Venice and/or Ottomans wars and being lucky. Should I just restart? Or is there a way around this "attacking a free city" nonsense

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Can someone please explain this coring cost to me? Even without all the bonuses, 50% + 50% of 10 isn't 83.

http://i.imgur.com/bIGDU5G.png

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Isn't development a factor? So it's 10 points times 10 development = 100 and then you get a discount when all the bonuses and penalties are added up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, it's 10 ADM per point of development, multiplied by the sum of all the bonuses and penalties.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

EwokEntourage posted:

Can someone please explain this coring cost to me? Even without all the bonuses, 50% + 50% of 10 isn't 83.

base cost = 10 admin - that is 10 admin per development. 10 admin x 10 development = 100.

100-33-25+1.9-10-50+50+50=83.9

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

quadrophrenic posted:

Newbie 1.13 Je maintiendrai question:

Playing as Holland, I won an easy independence war w/ France and Austria as allies and took Breda and am currently working my way towards Utrecht and Gelre and shouldn't have too many problems there (aside maybe from HRE revocations, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.) It's 1454. I've managed to hold on to my France alliance but my Austrian alliance went south and it looks unlikely that I'll be able to kick it back up... I have a RM with Austria but I still have that -50 "Already has a strong alliance" hit.

The problem is Friesland, who early on during my independence war applied to become a Free City. I can't think of a way to nab Friesland without pissing off Austria and dragging France into a continental bloodbath (which I probably won't be able to do, considering I may end up needing France's help with utrecth and/or gelre), aside from maybe waiting until Austria is in one of their Venice and/or Ottomans wars and being lucky. Should I just restart? Or is there a way around this "attacking a free city" nonsense

If the Emperor hates a free city for some reason (like being at war with them) you can attack them and the Emperor will refuse to come to their aid.

If the free city is allied to some other HRE minor, you can attack that minor so they'll call the Free City to their aid, and this allows you to occupy and annex the free city without calling in the Emperor (I'm not 100% sure of this, but like 99%. I should check in-game to be sure.)

Alternatively, a free city loses its free city status if it has more than 1 province. It's a bit unreliable, but if you can bait them into annexing land somehow (alliance shenanigans with them, letting them occupy an enemy province and giving it to them in the peace deal) or sell land to them (not sure if free cities accept this), they become merchant republics and you can go to town.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

I wish countries couldn't immediately reconvert after you force religion on them. Or that it gave them much better defense against internal conversion factors, or something. Twice in a row I've forced Ravensburg and Switzerland to convert to catholic, and welp, the adjacent reformed center flips them right back a year or two later.

Took the thing in this latest war, so it'll be the last time it happens (presumably). But still. Even farther-flung centers of reformation that you can't do anything about tend to keep converting people to heresy no matter how many times you restore the truth faith to them.

If you're lucky the centers all spawn in OPMs, then it's very easy to get rid of them. Go to war with them and force religion on them, this should remove the center and no new one should spawn.

One of the funnier things you can do in the HRE is ally the emperor and sabotage him when he has an old ruler, drag them into a war and give them any land you can in peace deals with all the war targets, he'll get so much AE and OE that nobody will vote for him. Giving Austria half of Poland and Hungary and a lot of lands from their allies is one of the most fun things I ever did in this game, my Bohemia as Emperor in 1459.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

If the Emperor hates a free city for some reason (like being at war with them) you can attack them and the Emperor will refuse to come to their aid.
I did this with Friesland like two weeks ago, so it definitely still works that way.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Playing outside of Europe will force you to be better because every monarch point is valuable. It's easy to get into bad habits as the Europeans. Bengal is a good choice to dip your toes into the rest of the world.

Mostly though, just keep playing. First learning EU is less intellectual than intuitive - you simply have to get a feel for how all of the systems interlock, and then you're on solid ground for effective strategizing. Set goals for yourself throughout a game that are interesting but feel slightly out of reach, then try to figure out ways to get to them anyway.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

Why does it have the Colony modifier?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mornhaven posted:

Why does it have the Colony modifier?

It's the same as "distant overseas." Any province that is 1) not on your home continent or within a short range of your capital and 2) not connected by land to your capital counts as distant overseas. They're 50% cheaper to core but have a floor of 75 Autonomy.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

double nine posted:

base cost = 10 admin - that is 10 admin per development. 10 admin x 10 development = 100.

100-33-25+1.9-10-50+50+50=83.9

Thanks. Guess I should have bothered to look up core costs first. Didn't know about the 10 per development.

Is it too late to complain about increased core cost modifiers?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone recommend the most update YouTube tutorial for the game? I'm coming back from a huge CK II run and uh yeah slight difference in the two lol. There is a common sense from a voltage guy on YouTube, just wondering if there are any more current ones?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

EwokEntourage posted:

Thanks. Guess I should have bothered to look up core costs first. Didn't know about the 10 per development.

Is it too late to complain about increased core cost modifiers?

No, getting mad at Berbers is an EU4-spanning pastime.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's a protip for playing as Muscowy. When you take the mission to conquer Novgorod and complete it, the province of Novgorod gets +1 to all development categories. If you just conquer all of Novgorod's provinces normally, you'll complete the mission before you core them, so you'll have to pay for coring the bonus development. But if you give the province of Novgorod to a vassal during the peace deal and then annex the vassal, you won't complete the mission until after you've annexed the vassal, so you'll basically get three free development.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That's probably a lot of missions and work missed out for 10 years for 3 development.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's not even necessary, since the mission won't complete until the day after the peace deal. So take the mission, send your peace deal, wait one day for them to accept, start coring, unpause, then the mission finishes and you receive free development.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Average Bear posted:

That's probably a lot of missions and work missed out for 10 years for 3 development.

It sounded a lot cooler in my head.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Hey do whatever you gotta do to save those 27 admin points

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

It sounded a lot cooler in my head.

After about the 1000th hour EU4 becomes more about figuring out cool/weird exploits than anything else.

I still miss relocating The Knights to Nova Scotia :smith:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The only thing I don't like about that mission is it kind of messes with the ability to feed Pskov and Perm. I mean it's great because you get +3 dev on Novgorod which is a province worth taking to 30 so that's solid, and you get day 1 claims without waiting a year for the fabrication.

You just have to make sure that you annex Perm and Pskov if you're feeding them any Novgorod land before you remove Novgorod as a going concern otherwise no 3 dev.

Sometims that mission shows up with much lesser requirements, and I figured this was something you can game. Like, have the first war with Novgorod, feed their provinces to Perm and Pskov, then get the mission to fire and accept it so that it's doable in one war and still gets you 3 dev.

Having to either not do any other missions for 20 years or dump the +3 dev (ie just take the mission and abandon for free claims) are both unsatisfying. How do you cheese it so the "Conquer Novgorod" mission shows up with like 6 provinces and you can just do it - what locks it out from happening?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any tips regarding Prester John? My neighbors and the Arabian peninsula are easy to beat, so is the Mamluks but I get eaten alive by the Ottomans, even with Spain as my ally. Bide my time? Avoid them and gobble upp Africa first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Good lord Trebizond sucks. I cannot get a good start off the ground.

Rakthar posted:

How do you cheese it so the "Conquer Novgorod" mission shows up with like 6 provinces and you can just do it - what locks it out from happening?

Don't take Novgorod in the first war.

• Locked thread