Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Pakled posted:

Why would someone assassinate a redshirt, you can't move ahead in rank that way :confused:

It's OCS for noncoms. Kill an ensign, get a commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Pakled posted:

Why would someone assassinate a redshirt, you can't move ahead in rank that way :confused:

Not with that attitude

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pakled posted:

Practice

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In Voyager the ship has come across a Space Thing just ahead of them. Tuvok says to reverse course and go around it. Harry says they can't do that because it is now surrounding them in a ring shape. They decide the only thing to do is fly through it.

Edit: Also my new favourite character is Working Out Guy.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 14, 2016

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

MikeJF posted:

Was it a radio or a subspace radio?

It was one of their communicators, which I think is just a radio. Not sure what the range is on the Enterprise ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tikifire posted:

It was one of their communicators, which I think is just a radio. Not sure what the range is on the Enterprise ones.

"Trip? Can you hear me now? Hang on, let me go outside."

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Not sure about Enterprise, but in the other Treks, Communicators definitely are not just radios. We see them have instantaneous lossless communication with ships in orbit (or sometimes even farther away) or people on the opposite sides of the planet or whatever and they also seem to have some sort of advanced sensor suite as they can pick up all sorts of weird signals. They're also apparently connected with the universal translator (though of course that's new tech in ENT).

Basically, it's a device capable of planetary range FTL communication with better fidelity than a modern cell phone with some sort of crazy ion-fusion power supply and the ability to decode languages on the fly. It's not a phaser or a tricorder, but it's still crazy interstellar super tech and the fact that it uses subspace arguably makes it more advanced than either. Like, with a few decades of study you could potentially reverse engineer a warp drive from one of these things.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Duckbag posted:

You can peg this "revelation" as basically the exact moment the writers stopped giving a gently caress about the mirror universe.

You have to be a real Scrooge to get upset about something as inconsequential and fun as that.

Really? That's where you draw the line?

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Duckbag posted:

Not sure about Enterprise, but in the other Treks, Communicators definitely are not just radios. We see them have instantaneous lossless communication with ships in orbit (or sometimes even farther away) or people on the opposite sides of the planet or whatever and they also seem to have some sort of advanced sensor suite as they can pick up all sorts of weird signals. They're also apparently connected with the universal translator (though of course that's new tech in ENT).

Basically, it's a device capable of planetary range FTL communication with better fidelity than a modern cell phone with some sort of crazy ion-fusion power supply and the ability to decode languages on the fly. It's not a phaser or a tricorder, but it's still crazy interstellar super tech and the fact that it uses subspace arguably makes it more advanced than either. Like, with a few decades of study you could potentially reverse engineer a warp drive from one of these things.

The ones in Enterprise seem to be a bit more primitive than the ones in TOS (though they do have those nifty light-up led screens). They can barely communicate from orbit with people on planet surfaces at times.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Trek communicators are basically Iconian gateways but only for sound.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Duckbag posted:

Like, with a few decades of study you could potentially reverse engineer a warp drive from one of these things.

I remember when I found an old alarm clock and, after some study, I built a nuclear bomb.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I remember when I found an old alarm clock and, after some study, I built a nuclear bomb.

Is that why Ahmed Mohamed was arrested?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Did that alarm clock have a nuclear reactor instead of a battery? Because, if not, this is a bad metaphor.

Seriously, it's faster than light communication by way of an alternate dimension. If we in 2016 found something like that we'd pretty much have to throw out the entire standard model of physics and start over. What's more, we'd have a template to do so (once we figured out how to read it). Even if we never got the drat thing to work right, we'd have kickstarted an entirely new field of study and who knows where that would lead. Just knowing that subspace exists and is possible to access would be a complete game changer and that's not even getting into the device's components or power supply.

Met posted:

You have to be a real Scrooge to get upset about something as inconsequential and fun as that.

Really? That's where you draw the line?

I'm not mad about it. It's a better episode than the one with mirror Bareil, but all the goofiness and Rom's constant nitpicking of the premise are pretty clear signs that the writers were over the whole thing.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
It's been years but I just watched TNG's "Code of Honor."

Holy gently caress. Just wipe that poo poo from the record.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In the TOS episode with the communicator being left behind the problem wasn't that it was a radio but that one of the components inside it was some dealy that all their tech was built on (a super transistor?) and the planet was full of very clever, imitative people.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Duckbag posted:

the entire standard model of physics

The standard model (which, to be clear, is a term specifically used for the model of quantum physics) is semi-empirical and can absorb a lot of stuff without being thrown out - the "beyond the standard model" stuff that includes multiple additional dimensions still has the Higgs Mechanism and all the rest of the "core" stuff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duckbag posted:

They're also apparently connected with the universal translator (though of course that's new tech in ENT).

They seem to have an integrated universal translator because they work even if a ship is not in orbit or if you've been thrown into the past or whatever.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
It's possible that the communicators use quantum entanglement to transmit information instantaneously. Of course, to use entanglement is to break entanglement, so they're slowly ripping apart the fabric of space-time with each petty message, so that's a thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

CountFosco posted:

It's possible that the communicators use quantum entanglement to transmit information instantaneously. Of course, to use entanglement is to break entanglement, so they're slowly ripping apart the fabric of space-time with each petty message, so that's a thing.

Eh, that plot's just a retread of "Warp travel is ripping space apart so slow down y'all"

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
I just watched the season 2 ep of DS9 where we learn Garak has a brain implant, and I was laughing my rear end off at Dr. Julian Bashir, trained doctor in the greatest medical establishment ever created, casually talking to Dax about Garak's medical history. That seems like a massive security issue. I guess in the future nobody gives a poo poo about personal medical issues and doctor-patient confidentiality.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They probably don't have doctor-patient confidentiality on Cardassia so Bashir figured Garak wouldn't mind. :v:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Pakled posted:

They probably don't have doctor-patient confidentiality on Cardassia so Bashir figured Garak wouldn't mind. :v:

Probably, it's just such a stupid and unnecessary scene when the producers could have had Bashir say the same thing as a monologue into a personal log or talking to one of his assistants/nurses/non depeartment head doctors instead of to Dax in a very public place

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Duckbag posted:

Did that alarm clock have a nuclear reactor instead of a battery? Because, if not, this is a bad metaphor.

Seriously, it's faster than light communication by way of an alternate dimension. If we in 2016 found something like that we'd pretty much have to throw out the entire standard model of physics and start over. What's more, we'd have a template to do so (once we figured out how to read it). Even if we never got the drat thing to work right, we'd have kickstarted an entirely new field of study and who knows where that would lead. Just knowing that subspace exists and is possible to access would be a complete game changer and that's not even getting into the device's components or power supply.

I'm not mad about it. It's a better episode than the one with mirror Bareil, but all the goofiness and Rom's constant nitpicking of the premise are pretty clear signs that the writers were over the whole thing.

Yeah, that's true--if someone found it and recognized it as advanced tech and took it to a lab and they meticulously and rigorously analyzed it.

More likely: someone would find it, fiddle with it, couldn't get it to do more than chirp and light up, and toss it in a drawer or the garbage.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hey, if there was radium in the glow-in-the-dark paint on the clock face...

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Whats funny is that it becomes a good episode if it was a phaser or maguffin that will explode and kill a bunch of poo poo so there is a huge reason for needing to go back for it since the consequences would be dire for the natives. I like the episode, but it is stupid as poo poo for all the reasons you described.

McSpanky posted:

Hey, if there was radium in the glow-in-the-dark paint on the clock face...
TNG did it better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't really buy that Data could get conked on the head so hard that he forgets who he is and what radioactive means but he's still able to function. His programming could access the universal translator and the meanings of a bunch of words but not the meaning of "radioactive"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If that episode was made today that goddamned song would have played at some point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Robot amnesia works just like human amnesia, which is always depicted in a medically realistic manner

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MrJacobs posted:

Probably, it's just such a stupid and unnecessary scene when the producers could have had Bashir say the same thing as a monologue into a personal log or talking to one of his assistants/nurses/non depeartment head doctors instead of to Dax in a very public place

Bashir just has really lovely medical ethics. He has romantic relationships with his patients on multiple occasions, for instance

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Bashir just has really lovely medical ethics. He has romantic relationships with his patients on multiple occasions, for instance

Like when he fell in love with that broke brained augmented girl. Then to not be in a relationship with him, she decided to break her brain again.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I would have liked to see Data malfunction a lot more in that episode. Like, his translator works 95% of the time, but he randomly lapses out of it and starts speaking exclusively in Cantonese or something for 30 seconds. Same with his fine motor skills, or his ability to discern causal relationships. You know, anything that would be funny and/or horrific for a robot to momentarily lapse out of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

I would have liked to see Data malfunction a lot more in that episode. Like, his translator works 95% of the time, but he randomly lapses out of it and starts speaking exclusively in Cantonese or something for 30 seconds. Same with his fine motor skills, or his ability to discern causal relationships. You know, anything that would be funny and/or horrific for a robot to momentarily lapse out of.

They could have easily fit that into the episode. All the people think he's possessed by the devil because he sometimes freaks out and speaks gibberish or his limbs go all crazy. Instead we got "haha it's amnesia but now a robot has it!"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CountFosco posted:

It's possible that the communicators use quantum entanglement to transmit information instantaneously

Entanglement doesn't transmit information :mad:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Data Graham posted:

Robot amnesia works just like human amnesia, which is always depicted in a medically realistic manner

It was an accidental activation of the subroutine that allows Data to be donkey-punched. It's part of being "fully functional". :colbert:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

If that episode was made today that goddamned song would have played at some point.

This reminds me of one of the more surprising but somehow not-surprising moments in that Star Trek 50 book.

During discussion about Enterprise, it was mentioned that after UPN was under new management, studio execs were trying to get boy bands to do guest spots on the show, maybe do a live performance. One writer's response was "Where?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fire all studio execs into the sun

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Entanglement doesn't transmit information :mad:

Then how does Commander Shepherd communicate with Admiral Hackett, clever-clogs? :smug:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mass Effect also gets Qubits wrong for that communication thing :v:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mass Effect also gets Qubits wrong for that communication thing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

TheBigAristotle posted:

This reminds me of one of the more surprising but somehow not-surprising moments in that Star Trek 50 book.

During discussion about Enterprise, it was mentioned that after UPN was under new management, studio execs were trying to get boy bands to do guest spots on the show, maybe do a live performance. One writer's response was "Where?"

I want everyone to remember this the next time someone tries to defend or rationalize studio executives' behavior. They do not deserve to be defended and they are the reason we can' have nice things.