Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You are all overanalyzing that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm not very experienced with tabletop RPGs like DnD but I was kinda interested in trying one (other than DnD, which I sorta know and have done before).

Shadowrun's my main interest (and I asked a bit about it in that thread), but I was curious what else was out there and what might be worth trying.

e: Cyberpunk is the main interest, sci-fi being secondary.

One of the best scifi systems around right now is the aforementioned Fragged Empire. If you want something more classic you could look into one of the iterations of Traveller or Stars without Number, if you want Traveller on a more familiar D&D rooted system.

As far as cyberpunk goes, people already mentioned Technoir and The Spawl if you want more abstracted and rules-light cyberpunk games.

Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 20XX are the more rules dense and classic games. People around here have been laughing at the recently out 5e for Shadowrun. I don't know if it's worth buying or if it's better to opt for the 20th Anniversary edition instead. There's Shadowrun Anarchy, too, which tries to be rules light but people seem divided on if it's bad or just okay.

The Cyberpunk games are all a bit old now. They're working on a new edition alongside the video game but who knows when that will be out.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

How

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
99% he's somewhere on the autistic spectrum, so hopefully he gets the counseling and/or training he needs to learn about how social interactions work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

He is either:

a) An idiot 17-year-old nerd with a bunch of internalized misogyny and a real big STEM fetish and "nice guy" complex, or

b) A troll

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's been almost a full page of posts about how the guy is this close of becoming the new BTKiller and giving him psychological uhhh what's the english word again, diagnosis.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Plutonis posted:

There's been almost a full page of posts about how the guy is this close of becoming the new BTKiller and giving him psychological uhhh what's the english word again, diagnosis.

Hi, welcome to the SA forums! What lead you to register in 2017?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

What was the response you were hoping for by posting grogs.txt level poo poo in the chat thread, exactly?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

What was the response you were hoping for by posting grogs.txt level poo poo in the chat thread, exactly?

"lol", "lmao" or "haha"

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Harrow posted:

He is either:

a) An idiot 17-year-old nerd with a bunch of internalized misogyny and a real big STEM fetish and "nice guy" complex, or

b) A troll

Reddit username/post combination leads me to suspect A.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

"lol", "lmao" or "haha"

For people who actually have to deal with dipshits like this guy, it's more than just a quick laugh--poo poo like this is why women don't game, when the hobby harbors toxic idiots. Fortunately she seems to have the situation under control and the support of the store owner so that's good. Hopefully he'll get a clue before he goes on a shooting spree.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been listening to Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff from the beginning, the in the episode I just listened to, they said "You know, the amazing thing about GUMSHOE is that it turns out none of its rules are actually necessary, because every Call of Cthulhu GM was designing investigative adventures correctly. Oh and also, it turns out GUMSHOE isn't original at all, because every Call of Cthulhu GM was already using those rules, even though they've never been published anywhere before."

Hite has actually said that CoC is a perfect game, which has resultingly made me deeply skeptical of his opinions regarding anything system-based. They generally run a top-flight podcast (aside from the repetitive and pervasive ads) but are helpless Lovecraft nerds. I'd love to follow Law's game work more often, but I have exceedingly little tolerance for most straightforward Lovecraft material at this point for a variety of reasons, no matter how well-written or devised.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My problem with CoC was always that I was never knowledgeable enough about the 1920's or 1930's to be confident in being to convey and portray the setting well, and then conversely that's why I ended up liking Delta Green so much.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

My problem with CoC was always that I was never knowledgeable enough about the 1920's or 1930's to be confident in being to convey and portray the setting well, and then conversely that's why I ended up liking Delta Green so much.

*whistles and kicks 20 pages of research on interwar Brazil under the couch*

Just make poo poo up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
New pet for my kids!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

*whistles and kicks 20 pages of research on interwar Brazil under the couch*

Just make poo poo up.

if it's any consolation I also have stacks of notes on WW1 German cryptography, the port of Kiel circa 1914, and the British Naval Intelligence Division for a game about stealing the Signalbuch der Kaiserlichen Marine before the Russians can

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of the reasons if I were to run a Pulp/Noir/Weird Fiction period piece I'd probably have it be a fantasy setting so I don't have to worry about getting things too wrong, in fact I've basically got two possible settings for this sort of thing in mind to use someday;

Weird Adventures: setting published under the OSR that is basically what happens if you take a D&D setting and let it advance to the 1930's, it's a brilliant little setting(and despite the OSR label it's mostly rules free outside of a small bestiary), and the book is gorgeous in physical form(and is pretty cheap both digitally and in print)

City of Ravencastle: setting I've been tinkering with for about a year and a half now, based on a map I found on the internet(if I weren't phone posting I'd post it, probably edit it in later), basic description of the setting would be Bloodborne but set in a late 1930's New York City expy

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I guess they announced Numenera 2, but it's not really a 2nd Edition, but it's totally a second edition. And the core will be a two-book set now!

I'm feeling particularly saucy about their reported intent to fix glaives and jacks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
did Cook ever try to fix Rogues in 3e? I'm rather familiar with his attempts to improve martials and rein in casters

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FMguru posted:

I was deeply underwhelmed with Trail of Cthulhu (and Gumshoe in general) when it came out because it was solving a problem that had already been solved 25 years earlier.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Trail of Cthulhu is a good game in its own right. It has its problems, but the main issue people take with it is how dare it imply a game designed in 1981 is not pure and beautiful and perfect. It's the same complaint the OSR has with Torchbearer and Dungeon World.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Hite has actually said that CoC is a perfect game, which has resultingly made me deeply skeptical of his opinions regarding anything system-based.
Which makes it pretty weird that people think he believes CoC is broken and ToC is the fix. Gumshoe wasn't even invented specifically to do a Lovecraftian game.

As an aside, Hite thinks it was a big mistake for CoC 7th to get away from tracking separate skills for Headbutt and Fireplace Poker, because it's still 1981, and you need to beat your players to death with a stick labeled "You can't punch Cthulhu!" before they get the concept of a Lovecraftian game.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 16, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
CoC was a good response to AD&D but in 2017 responses to AD&D aren't really state of the art.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

As an aside, Hite thinks it was a big mistake for CoC 7th to get away from tracking separate skills for Headbutt and Fireplace Poker, because it's still 1981, and you need to beat your players to death with a stick labeled "You can't punch Cthulhu!" before they get the concept of a Lovecraftian game.

I feel like Call of Cthulhu is less of a Lovecraft game and more of a Petersen game anyway.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

I guess they announced Numenera 2, but it's not really a 2nd Edition, but it's totally a second edition. And the core will be a two-book set now!

I'm feeling particularly saucy about their reported intent to fix glaives and jacks.

my guess that they give the glaive/fighter any abilities that are useful outside of the combat they claim is so de-emphasized in the Cypher system, nerf some of the nano/wizard's powers (but only a few of the ones that really need it), and revise the jack so it's a distinct class instead of filler whose entire power list is [same as the nano/glaive power!]

it will be hailed as revolutionary and smarter than your dog (by MCG press releases)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I feel like Call of Cthulhu is less of a Lovecraft game and more of a Petersen game anyway.

It's also been around for so long that it's built up its own version of the Lovecraft mythos that people confuse as being the same as the original source material. Ken and Robin on their podcast pointed out that when they design their Cthulhu games, they build off the original material and not the CoC material.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

Why would anyone want to track separate skills like that, especially in the context of a game where the end result of trying to do either to Cthulhu is 'he kills you'?

gradenko_2000 posted:

did Cook ever try to fix Rogues in 3e? I'm rather familiar with his attempts to improve martials and rein in casters

By his attempts to fix them, do you mean he made martials less powerful and casters more powerful despite his intent to do otherwise?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's also been around for so long that it's built up its own version of the Lovecraft mythos that people confuse as being the same as the original source material. Ken and Robin on their podcast pointed out that when they design their Cthulhu games, they build off the original material and not the CoC material.

Pretty much. It deliberately excises material Petersen didn't like - not a judgement on his taste, mind, he states it pretty clearly in the older editions. But the idea of a serial monster-of-the-week where everyday people become warriors fighting against the dying of the light doesn't have a lot of actual basis in Lovecraft. (Lumley, maybe, but his stuff is largely excised.) Mind, I'm all for throwing Lovecraft's intentions and stories to the curb to make better games, but it's become the primary source mainly because it was a lot of folks' first exposure to the Mythos, but it borrows a lot of Lovecraft's furniture and puts it in an essentially different house.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

LuiCypher posted:

Why would anyone want to track separate skills like that, especially in the context of a game where the end result of trying to do either to Cthulhu is 'he kills you'?

Obviously, so that you can create Doctor Headbutt, who headbutted everything because it was his only combat skill. I think his story is still an archives somewhere..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wait are those real skills? I was certain they were hyperbole.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

borrows a lot of Lovecraft's furniture and puts it in an essentially different house.
That's the case for a lot of RPGs - D&D core gameplay idiom (mixed parties of adventurers systematically looting underground labyrinths and using the treasure and experience they gain to get more powerful) isn't reflected in any of its sources, Vampire starts with the RIce books but runs in a very very different direction with it, and so on.

And Lovecraft, I think, would have been entirely OK with people taking his material and doing their own stuff with it and adding their own spin (we have tons of letters from him encouraging other writers to do just that), He really wasn't interested in maintaining a strict continuity or canon

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rogues are the most balanced 3e class. Casters should have been nerfed to their level and martials buffed to their level. What do you think needed fixing?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Rogues are the most balanced 3e class. Casters should have been nerfed to their level and martials buffed to their level. What do you think needed fixing?
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha what a lie this is

Rogues are great in 3.5 until you face any of the third of the creature types that are immune to crits and/or any of the ton of random jackholes that have uncanny dodge/all-around vision/some other way of neutralizing sneak attack on top of that. Then you're just a dumbass with a lovely bab and no class features.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gobbeldygook posted:

S.. s...source your quotes?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Yawgmoth posted:

Rogues are great in 3.5 until you face any of the third of the creature types that are immune to crits and/or any of the ton of random jackholes that have uncanny dodge/all-around vision/some other way of neutralizing sneak attack on top of that. Then you're just a dumbass with a lovely bab and no class features.
Look at this scrub that doesn't know about Penetrating Strike from Dungeonscape :smuggo:
edit: and very few things have improved uncanny dodge so you can still flank them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

LuiCypher posted:

The short story seems to have clearly established that pointy objects such as the point of a ship helm can temporally inconvenience Cthulhu.

Yawgmoth posted:

Also, if you're gm is kind to you and doesn't throw you against monsters with no weak points, you clearly expose the rocket tag center of even martial combat as early as level 9.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Look at this scrub that doesn't know about Penetrating Strike from Dungeonscape :smuggo:
edit: and very few things have improved uncanny dodge so you can still flank them.
Look at this scrub thinking Penetrating Strike is useful :smaug:

protip: getting 1/4 your rogue level in extra d6s is poo poo damage and making it positioning based means that any enemy with any sort of movement abilities can negate it. Rogue is the biggest ''DM may I" melee class and that is bad.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Rogues get to use the incredibly vague and terrible 3e skill system. They're as powerful as your GM lets you get away with!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I once played a rogue in a marathon one-off with 8 or 9 encounters, all with different enemy types. In one of the encounters I actually could have sneak attacked something, but I got charmed. I think that was the last time we played 3.5 and no one's really even brought it up since then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/908768999500066818

tag yourself I'm Greater flick

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I mean, if you take away the things with immunities, clean up the skill system, and stop pretending the game is supposed to be run gridless, Rogues are pretty fun class that really encourages you to engage with the battlefield. You could probably make a pretty good game by doing that, maybe giving them some limited use abilities to give them a bit more tactical meat, and then tweaking the rest of the classes to a similar scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Drongo Curtis' Fark, Mate!

• Locked thread