Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

Apparently the Little Prince is on Netflix now? I might give it a watch tomorrow.
I think it's some new remake of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

I just started a free trial of HBO Now in order to catch up on GoT and Veep, and I'm looking for other HBO-exclusive stuff to check out while I've got it. Preferably movies or mini-series that I can finish within a month. Was season 2 of True Detective as bad as everyone said or did it turn out okay?

If you have amazon prime, use your HBO now trial to watch their most recent shows, not the older stuff. Prime video has older HBO series on streaming.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Did anyone recommend Bored to Death on HBO? I thought it was fun/funny.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Trip report on They're Watching: super annoying use of the found footage style, dreadfully boring buildup, you see the ending coming from a mile away, yet still somehow watchable enough and the finale is pretty great.

The Invitation is next in my queue. Looks like a fairly straightforward psychological drama, but it's pretty highly rated so I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise or two.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

fishtobaskets posted:

Trip report on They're Watching: super annoying use of the found footage style, dreadfully boring buildup, you see the ending coming from a mile away, yet still somehow watchable enough and the finale is pretty great.
Counterpoint, there's a whole hour that could be excised so watch the first 10 minutes then skip to the end

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

without prior decent knowledge of Rome it can be pretty awful. What a equestrian? Caesars a Consul but is there more then one? More then two? What does the Senate do? How do the armys work?
These are questions the show doesn't bother to explain because it has better things to do like move the story along. But if any of these questions are news to you do your self a favor and brush up on Roman History a bit first.

Some solid casting and a disappointing second season. I'll still second this recommendation but don't expect it be be family friendly or even something cool to watch with your parents. Its HBO still.

I haven't seen Rome but this youtube channel is really good at explaining some Roman history and battles

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCv_vLHiWVBh_FR9vbeuiY-A

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The part of Blomkamp's movies I always like is the technology. It's not pretty, not streamlined, not accessible. It's all dangerous-looking and appears as though it'd blow your torso off if you're not a professional with training in handling it. Or have it grafted into your central nervous system, apparently.

Also, Netflix keeps finding more "a hitchhiker/stranger stalks an innocent couple on the road" movies to put on.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

coyo7e posted:

I think it's some new remake of it.

There was an old adaptation of The Little Prince?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There was an old adaptation of The Little Prince?
I can think of one or two offhand. The one with Bob Fosse and Gene Wilder is the one I always think of as the definitive version, although there is a french language version I also have a special place in my heart for, since I had to watch it a ton of times for French class in high school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUTEhEPONgc

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 31, 2016

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Room is on amazon prime and all I have to say about it is that they gave the oscar to the wrong principal actor. Jacob Tremblay is fantastic.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

drunken officeparty posted:

Just finished the Sherlock 1800s special thing. I thought I didn't like season 3 but dear god that was a new low. It was so far up its own rear end in a top hat it could see paris.

I just couldn't do it. I kinda zoned out while my wife watched it but the show has gotten to the point where they believe their own hype and every thirty seconds you've got someone mugging for the camera making a little self-important speech. I don't know a lot about british tv but I guess that's Stephen Moffat's thing because I watched a couple of episodes of Dr. Who and it was terrible. I can only take so many "I'm the doctor and I'm soooo amazing" speeches. Especially when your biggest enemy is a screeching trashcan with knobs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Curse Of Chucky is soooooo slow. It's a shame they didn't let Don Mancini continue down the absurd horror-comedy road because trying to make Chucky scary again is a waste of time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Whats weird is Stephen Moffat has some great episodes. Its when he returns to any subject he did before in any manner, hell just mug the hell outta it and slap his own back in the process.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I like Stranger Things so far with one ep left, but it is hilarious how the sheriff is an unstoppable knock out machine.

I loved the episode where he went John Wayne on a bunch of mooks.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

fishtobaskets posted:

Room is on amazon prime and all I have to say about it is that they gave the oscar to the wrong principal actor. Jacob Tremblay is fantastic.

Thanks for this, I liked the book when I had to study it for a college english class so it was interesting to see how it translated to film. A lot of the symbolism became less pronounced, and some of the conflict from Jack being a rape child got written out (which kind of stubbed some of the character development of Grandma and especially Grandpa) but the performances were great. Brie Larson absolutely sold the torment Ma went through.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hihifellow posted:

Thanks for this, I liked the book when I had to study it for a college english class so it was interesting to see how it translated to film. A lot of the symbolism became less pronounced, and some of the conflict from Jack being a rape child got written out (which kind of stubbed some of the character development of Grandma and especially Grandpa) but the performances were great. Brie Larson absolutely sold the torment Ma went through.

I thought the way they used William H Macy was a very succinct way to address the material you spoiled. His abrupt and permanent departure was powerful in hindsight. I think we are in general agreement though that it was a solid adaptation of the source material.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
The Little Prince was supposed to get a wide release if I'm remembering correctly. Last minute it got pulled, Netflix bought it. It goes up 8/5 in U.S.

Just finished Stranger Things and thought it was excellent, although as was mentioned here the last episode is hard to watch with all the drat strobing. I had to have a lamp on in the background to ease my eyes. Rest of the show looks great, other than a handful of effects. I watched some of E.T. earlier in the week and it Stranger Things nails that period aesthetic really well, without banging EIGHTIES over your head.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is there anywhere to watch Capturing The Friedmans? My mate is trying to track it down and hasn't had any luck on Netflix or the Apple Store.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

xcore posted:

Is there anywhere to watch Capturing The Friedmans? My mate is trying to track it down and hasn't had any luck on Netflix or the Apple Store.

Presuming you're American: Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaatTnsx9-s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll be the guy who goes to bat for Sherlock - yes, even the Victorian Special. I can completely understand why others hate it, but for me Cumberbatch and Freeman cancel out most of the writing problems. They're just so drat watchable in that show. Cumberbatch has done some things where I didn't like him, but in that show he's golden.

Its similarity to actual Sherlock Holmes is tenuous, at least in terms of characterization. Funnily enough, the RDJ/Jude Law Sherlock films hewed a lot closer to the source material in that regard (and the first one is an absolute blast, better than any Sherlock episode).

e: YouTube is streaming, so let me recommend "Explaining: This House Has People In It". This House Has People In It is great on its own, but you likely don't have any idea how loving complicated it is because the creators made a really effort ARG out of it that has hours of videos and text files. The series is Night Mind, who have plenty of neat videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjBTAnCUbZc

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I've noticed Grey Gardens is streaming and after seeing the Fred Armisen remake of it I have to wonder, is this something that's watchable and good?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've noticed Grey Gardens is streaming and after seeing the Fred Armisen remake of it I have to wonder, is this something that's watchable and good?

Its very good, although "watchable" is another matter because its not fun or comfortable to watch two people rot away due to entitlement and mental illness. Its amusing at first but after a while its very sad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

It's absolutely watchable. Watch in horror and amazement.

I watched (Dis)Honesty: The Truth About Lying last night and I really enjoyed it, especially Etgar Keret's brief appearance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blind Rasputin posted:

It's extremely good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Watched Theeb and Valhalla Rising. The latter is basically one and a half hours of people moodily staring at each other, but gently caress if it isn't pretty. Theeb is well worth seeing if you want a good companion piece to Lawrence of Arabia.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just a heads up, if it's the one on HBO GO it's a dramatic remake from 2009 with the same title

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Just a heads up, if it's the one on HBO GO it's a dramatic remake from 2009 with the same title

Hulu has the original, since it's Criterion.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Blind Rasputin posted:

yes yes yes yes yes

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Watched Theeb and Valhalla Rising. The latter is basically one and a half hours of people moodily staring at each other, but gently caress if it isn't pretty.
The hallmark of all Nicolas Winding Refn films.

I've been meaning to check out Room because the director also made Frank, and I can watch Frank all day every day.

...so watch Frank, too?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

I've been meaning to check out Room because the director also made Frank, and I can watch Frank all day every day.

...so watch Frank, too?

:aaaaa:

Never made that connection. That explains why Room had that weird synth soundtrack throughout.

Room was interesting because the author wrote the book and the screenplay, and instead of just re-writing the same story again, she decided to focus the book on the child and the movie focuses more on the mother and the family, so they work as companion pieces to each other.

Room is probably the better movie, but I'd rather re-watch Frank any day.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

precision posted:

I'll be the guy who goes to bat for Sherlock - yes, even the Victorian Special.

I love Sherlock too, but I was really hoping they would go for something a bit more pulled back and traditional for the special rather than just cranking up the quirkiness to annoying levels.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Prime's having a really good month:

MOVIES
Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Maxed Out (1971)
Afflicted (2013)
The Eclipse (2009)
The Others (2001)
The Piano (1993)
Cloverfield (2008)
The Foot Fist Way (2006)
How She Move (2007)
Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)
A Good Woman (2004)
Joe the King (1999)
Kalifornia (1993)
Marathon Man (1976)
Shattered (2007)
Six Shooter (2004)
Species III (2004)
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (1990)
Wicker Park (2004)
The Matrix (1999)
The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
The Matrix Revolutions (2003)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (1991)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 (1993)
You’ve Got Mail (1998)
The World’s Fastest Indian (2005)
Ong Bak – The Thai Warrior (2003)
Julia (1999)

Available later in August:
Odd Squad Movie (2016)
Shaun the Sheep (2015)
American Ultra (2015)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
Michael Ian Black: Noted Expert (2016)
Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation (2015)
Very Good Girls (2013)
A Royal Affair (English subtitles) (2012)
Strange Wilderness (2008)
Melancholia (2011)
The Hunter (2011)
Blue Ruin (2013)
Elvis & Nixon (2016)
Goon (2011)
13 Assassins (English subtitles)(2011)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

morestuff posted:

Prime's having a really good month:

Holy poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly Amazon Prime has generally had more good stuff than Netflix for a while now. Or maybe I've just already watched all the good stuff on Netflix.

Pretty nice that I won't have to pay to watch American Ultra. People I trust have said it's actually quite good, but I don't trust them that much.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm gonna watch the gently caress out of Kalifornia because I love Brad Pitt's character to death. "Put yer titty up, Adele!"

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just got prime a couple weeks ago and man I love having that HBO backlog.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Inside Llewyn Davis is one of the Coen's best. It's basically O Brother told like Barton Fink.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Inside Llewyn Davis is one of the Coen's best. It's basically O Brother told like Barton Fink.

I like ILD but I'm not really getting the second part of your equation

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I like ILD but I'm not really getting the second part of your equation

I see it, it's very Barton Finkish. Both stories about prickly creative types stuck in an increasingly literal purgatory, both set in a highly specific, important time for a specific medium and mode of creative expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The cinematographer for Inside Llewyn Davis was also the cinematographer on Tim Burton's Dark Shadows and they have the exact same weirdly ugly, fuzzy, murky look to them.