Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Guy Mann posted:

Also Hardcore Henry, his character and gimmick was the best part of that movie.

Now I am definitely watching it. I had no idea he was in it.

I actually thought his body language as Chappie was some of the best I've seen since Edward Norton's performance in Kingdom of Heaven.

Parachute posted:

I haven't, but I'm glad to hear you say that because it helps with my "Sharlto Copley is the best part of [insert name of thing i'm watching]" theory.

Maybe I will check it out just because of him - I completely forgot it existed.

If you actually like the idea of a world where superpowers exist within ordinary, lovely people who need to be regulated by police, then check it out. I'm a sucker for comics like The Boys and Irredeemable. Anything where superman can and will go mad and destroy the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy Mann posted:

Also Hardcore Henry, his character and gimmick was the best part of that movie.

He's the protagonist of the film, since Henry is "you" or Player One or whatever. Rare second person perspective movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Without Copley, Hardcore Henry would be Manos-tier. That man singlehandedly makes that movie watchable.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Surprised no one here has mentioned Bojack Horseman season 3 yet. It's maybe not as strong as the previous seasons, but it has some great moments and is really sticking with me.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Where is Hardcore Henry streaming? Didn't see it on Netflix or Amazon Prime...

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Rectify is starting to get a little boring as I enter Season 2.I just want to yell "PICK UP THE loving PACE".

At least with The Wire they had characters that could move the plot at a slow pace and get away with it. The stepbrother who runs the tire shop with low sales doesn't have the same kind of knack to it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm watching through Futurama and on season 2 right now. I haven't seen an episode in probably 10 years until now. Does it get better in later seasons because it's kind of not bad but not very great.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ScarletBrother posted:

Where is Hardcore Henry streaming? Didn't see it on Netflix or Amazon Prime...

Other Netflix countries, which is why I, an American:911:, haven't seen it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm watching through Futurama and on season 2 right now. I haven't seen an episode in probably 10 years until now. Does it get better in later seasons because it's kind of not bad but not very great.

That's probably as good as it ever gets. Seasons 3-4 have some good episodes but it gets to be total garbage in the later seasons.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Pre-cancellation Futurama is very consistent, with some standout episodes, and very few bummers. The post-cancellation episodes gently caress that up and get way more uneven and on average worse, especially the first post-cancellation season.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What seasons was it cancelled on?

I was also surprised that season 1 only had 9 episodes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Pre-cancellation Futurama is very consistent, with some standout episodes, and very few bummers. The post-cancellation episodes gently caress that up and get way more uneven and on average worse, especially the first post-cancellation season.

I'd say it's still overall good post-cancellation, though. Not as good, but it goes from being one of the best animated comedies ever (really, second only to early Simpsons) to being overall pretty solid with a few dips, which isn't a horrible downgrade.

What seasons was it cancelled on?

I was also surprised that season 1 only had 9 episodes.

I wanna say 3 or 4? "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings" was the last episode before Fox cancelled it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I wanna say 3 or 4? "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings" was the last episode before Fox cancelled it.

Wasn't it cancelled more than once?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Futurama but it's not consistently great. There's a lot of funny jokes and fun stories peppered in there though. The only seasons I thought were that bad were the later ones when they brought it back. It really doesn't get any better than the first few seasons.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wasn't it cancelled more than once?

It was cancelled once by Fox, and then it ended on Comedy Central. CC, to my knowledge, didn't outright cancel it, everyone involved was just done with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chromatic posted:

Rectify is starting to get a little boring as I enter Season 2.I just want to yell "PICK UP THE loving PACE".

That's a problem with season 2, but don't worry, season 3 goes back to a shorter episode run and much tighter pacing.

I'm still baffled that Sundance bothered to "cancel" it after the upcoming season 4, since McKinnon had IIRC always said 4 or 5 seasons was all he had planned anyway. Maybe it's just to hype up "THE FINAL SEASON" I guess.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

I dunno man. I guess we will have to agree to disagree, but I think they botched the character really badly and slightly changing a few plot points would have made him a lot more palatable. I think they spent way to much time making him a villain just to show that he wasn't all that bad in the final showdown. I just think that character could have been handled a lot better without changing almost anything else about the film. There is basically nothing to him other than "gotta do the heist" for most of it. He even treats Yolandi and the other characters like poo poo constantly so it's not limited to Chappie.
I'm curious how familiar you are with Die Antwoord, because that's just how Ninja is.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

coyo7e posted:

I'm curious how familiar you are with Die Antwoord, because that's just how Ninja is.

Eh, that's not quite true. Chappie takes place in a universe where Ninja isn't one in a long line of alter-egos for this middle-class, Afrikaans, alternatively-educated white guy. He merely is this fully formed entity as described by Jones in their extra-textual music, but explicitly lacking Ninja's own subjective validation. This self-perpetuating fantasy of 'thug life' is more driven by aesthetic than by the characters actually being accomplished criminals, like they've simply chosen to live among Joburg's ethno-nationally diverse, nonetheless vastly disproportionately stratified urban poor. The characters essentially want to be criminals because of an unconsciously artistic impulse.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just finished the Sherlock 1800s special thing. I thought I didn't like season 3 but dear god that was a new low. It was so far up its own rear end in a top hat it could see paris.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lycus posted:

Stranger Things: Wait, did the teenagers do anything? Their fight with the monster seemed fruitless. Or did they just serve to distract the monster while the adults looked around?

Lucas incapacitated the demigorgon when he basically rolled a natural 20 on his slingshot attack. After he hit, it was pinned to the classroom chalkboard by Eleven before she says goodbye and kills the fucker. She wasn't strong enough to take it out on her own but after it was slingshotted she could finally overpower it with her psychokinetics. Without their bravery the demigorgon would continue to terrorize the town, and the only scientists who really knew how they might stop it were already dead.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Just finished the Sherlock 1800s special thing. I thought I didn't like season 3 but dear god that was a new low. It was so far up its own rear end in a top hat it could see paris.

This is gonna sound pretentious as gently caress but I tried Sherlock and just couldn't get into it. The character is cool because he's a criminology genius when that field was brand new, plus you had Sherlock basically serving as a bridge between the highest and lowest strata of Victorian society.

Plus the Jeremy Brett poo poo is just so much better I mean goddamn

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was so excited for the sherlock special, but yeah it wound up being pretty bad.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Filthy Hans posted:

Lucas incapacitated the demigorgon when he basically rolled a natural 20 on his slingshot attack. After he hit, it was pinned to the classroom chalkboard by Eleven before she says goodbye and kills the fucker. She wasn't strong enough to take it out on her own but after it was slingshotted she could finally overpower it with her psychokinetics. Without their bravery the demigorgon would continue to terrorize the town, and the only scientists who really knew how they might stop it were already dead.

The teenagers. Will's brother and Mike's sister.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

K. Waste posted:

Eh, that's not quite true. Chappie takes place in a universe where Ninja isn't one in a long line of alter-egos for this middle-class, Afrikaans, alternatively-educated white guy. He merely is this fully formed entity as described by Jones in their extra-textual music, but explicitly lacking Ninja's own subjective validation. This self-perpetuating fantasy of 'thug life' is more driven by aesthetic than by the characters actually being accomplished criminals, like they've simply chosen to live among Joburg's ethno-nationally diverse, nonetheless vastly disproportionately stratified urban poor. The characters essentially want to be criminals because of an unconsciously artistic impulse.
You know it's a lot easier to just say they're playing the characters they play in real life, except in this movie they can't break the fourth wall.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lycus posted:

The teenagers. Will's brother and Mike's sister.

oops, I didn't answer the question you asked

I can't think of much regarding their accomplishment, the demigorgon seemed to recover from the burning in short order. I think it was more about finishing the character arcs of the three (the boyfriend redeemed himself too).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat A Hijacking was good. Thanks thread! Next up. A War.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Apparently the Little Prince is on Netflix now? I might give it a watch tomorrow.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just started a free trial of HBO Now in order to catch up on GoT and Veep, and I'm looking for other HBO-exclusive stuff to check out while I've got it. Preferably movies or mini-series that I can finish within a month. Was season 2 of True Detective as bad as everyone said or did it turn out okay?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I quite liked parts of True Detective S2. Definitely not as good as the first season, but I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10.

Also watch Band of Brothers, Silicon Valley, Generation Kill, and Deadwood.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

And curb.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

For series, since you have a limited amount of time, the comedies are a strong choice, so seconding Silicon Valley and adding in Eastbound & Down and Veep. If you really want to binge, The Wire, The Sopranos, and Deadwood are all incredible. All of those are strong right out the gate, so you could try out a bunch of first episodes and see what strikes your fancy. True Detective season 2 is seriously not worth your time.

In terms of movies: Bad Santa is very funny and about to get a sequel. The Bourne Ultimatum is a great action movie. Frailty is a fun supernatural thriller. The Insider is compelling, directed by Michael Mann. Mad Max: Fury Road is wonderful and almost universally beloved. Road House is a classic. A Walk Among the Tombstones is a really well executed crime thriller. Jurassic World is on there if you want to be shocked how mediocre the biggest movie of last year was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

I just started a free trial of HBO Now in order to catch up on GoT and Veep, and I'm looking for other HBO-exclusive stuff to check out while I've got it. Preferably movies or mini-series that I can finish within a month. Was season 2 of True Detective as bad as everyone said or did it turn out okay?

The Night Of is awesome so far. You'll need to keep it an extra week to finish it up though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The problem with movies on HBOGo/Now is that they crop movies for 16:9. So anything in 2.35 gets screwed with quote a bit.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Definitely watch East Bound and Down. Kenny Powers is the funniest rear end in a top hat you will ever hate and love at the same time.

And I started rewatching Breaking Bad again and holy poo poo they cram a ton of stuff into the second season. I honestly don't remember all of that happening at that brisk of a pace, no wonder so many people got hooked on it. It's fuckin rad as hell.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Watch Rome. It's only two seasons and the second season is a little nuts since they found out they were getting cancelled midway through. But for my money it's one of the best shows HBO has ever done - second only to The Wire, which you probably wouldn't have enough time to get through.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Watch Rome. It's only two seasons and the second season is a little nuts since they found out they were getting cancelled midway through. But for my money it's one of the best shows HBO has ever done - second only to The Wire, which you probably wouldn't have enough time to get through.

without prior decent knowledge of Rome it can be pretty awful. What a equestrian? Caesars a Consul but is there more then one? More then two? What does the Senate do? How do the armys work?
These are questions the show doesn't bother to explain because it has better things to do like move the story along. But if any of these questions are news to you do your self a favor and brush up on Roman History a bit first.

Some solid casting and a disappointing second season. I'll still second this recommendation but don't expect it be be family friendly or even something cool to watch with your parents. Its HBO still.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Lester Shy posted:

I figure everyone has seen Band of Brothers but if you haven't then do.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think Frailty is still up on HBO, definitely watch that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Maxwell Lord posted:

The problem with movies on HBOGo/Now is that they crop movies for 16:9. So anything in 2.35 gets screwed with quote a bit.
Seriously!?

Seconding Band of Brothers if you haven't seen it. If you're wondering about the follow up The Pacific, it's not as compelling (I watched that when I had Now for two months). History isn't quite as cinematic in the Pacific Theatre, I guess. It can get to be a bit of a slog between the action scenes. The gore level for whatever reason is massively higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah realizing HBO still fucks with aspect ratios was a disappointing moment for me too. I think I first noticed it while watching O Brother Where Art Thou?