Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

If propositions are a bad way to pass laws then why didn't their Dem supermajority state government act to make these changes instead? Especially with regards to drug possession charges, I don't see any excuse why they couldn't have made those changes legislatively.

The reason I brought up that propositions can be a terrible way to pass laws was because you appeared to be making the argument that because Jerry Brown/California Democrats did not support the Prop 47, that means they are lovely on criminal justice reform and not actually progressive. Ignoring the fact many democrats did support prop 47, I was trying to point out that this line of thinking is flawed because often times there are legit progressive arguments to be made in opposition to a progressive proposition (see Prop 61 for a recent example of this).

One reason why Prop 47 isn't great for examining California Dem's positions on criminal justice and prison reform issues (at least in this context) is because many of the internet news articles from that time are already 404'd. However, on that same Ballotpedia page there is a quote from The Bakersfield Californian:

quote:

Recently, the Legislature made a timid effort to revise charging and sentencing in California. Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed the bill, noting his administration is scheduled to issue a comprehensive report and recommendations for reforming the system next year. Voters should reject Proposition 47 in November and give the governor a chance to recommend reforms.

So, not knowing the full details of what happened in this situation, there is evidence that Jerry Brown was pushing for criminal justice reform but wanted to wait until the 2015 to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Progressive JPEG posted:

If you're really serious about this secession bullshit then why don't you just move to California: The Country

I have (temporarily). I'm there right now. I haven't seen anything that makes me leap to recommend it over.

Let's just pretend we seceded, then won the inevitable war, and proceed directly to Reconstruction.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the best argument against secessionism is that if we don't do it before 2018, gavin newsom is going to be our president and gently caress that

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm surprised that Jerry Brown isn't for secession considering that would give him at least one more term.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Oh jesus christ
https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/828698295241281537

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Daywalker is already looking for Thiel. I don't think running for governor is very wise...too high profile.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Daywalker is already looking for Thiel. I don't think running for governor is very wise...too high profile.

He would rule from a floating city in international waters. Young blood would be brought to him, assuring his immortal reign.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

I have (temporarily). I'm there right now. I haven't seen anything that makes me leap to recommend it over.

I'm also currently there

I'm liking the idea of minimum four weeks vacation + 11 public holidays. As a programmer I'd be making less compared to the bay area (and I'd likely be dealing with either renting or selling the house there too) but anywhere in the country I'd still be making quite above if not double the median, and from running the numbers my taxes would drop 10-20% even at my current income.

But aside from finances there's: What qualifies as front page news is an honest debate of where the children's section in a newly remodeled library should go, and thoughts about experimenting with an up-front deposit for new immigrants which would cover the up-front cost of services they use, to then be refunded if they stick around for a year. Meanwhile the national fiber rollout has covered most of the cities and now it's more a question of which rural communities should be targeted next. Heavy traffic means an extra 5-10 minutes, and if I drove an hour from the largest city I'd be able to clearly see the milky way. But beyond all that I've yet to meet anyone, whether a waitress, startup CEO, bank clerk, or bus driver, who doesn't seem genuinely content with their life.

At this point money isn't everything, and it feels like this would be a better move than sitting around waiting for the US to complete its transition to a fascism, if or when Bannon's wet dream of another terrorist attack comes to fruition.

Anyway it's a cool place to visit, and despite the flight duration there's hardly any jet lag as it's only 3 hours off from Pacific time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Isn't their real estate market pretty nuts over there right now? The problem with any place affordable and desirable to live is that it stays neither for very long,especially if Thiel and Musk's Covens start roosting there during the new moon.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

TheBalor posted:

I also find it hard to believe, as an Oregonian, that any exit of California wouldn't result in Oregon and Washington fleeing right after, holding onto California's coattails. While California might be pressed for water without the Colorado river, those two states together should have more than enough water resources to make up the shortfall.
I'm more curious as to what new states would result from such a bumblefuck. West Virginia split off from Virginia when it left the union. There are large chunks of California and Oregon that would love the opportunity to form a new state.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Isn't their real estate market pretty nuts over there right now? The problem with any place affordable and desirable to live is that it stays neither for very long,especially if Thiel and Musk's Covens start roosting there during the new moon.

Auckland (NZ's take on LA) is currently a mess but the rest (incl Wellington, NZ's take on SF) isn't as bad. They apparently hadn't accounted for a bunch of Kiwis all migrating back from Australia over the last few years so there's a housing shortage across the board. But unlike most of CA, NZ haven't been spending the last 4 decades inventing reasons to avoid building anything whatsoever, and as such it feels like they're simply treating housing as just the next thing to apply effort towards solving.

But to be clear the scale of the issue in Auckland is nowhere near as bad as e.g. the bay area. I had been pricing places in Auckland and found that ~550NZD/wk => ~1750USD/mo would get a 2 bedroom single family home, dogs allowed, in a nice area, with a 30 minute train ride to downtown. Totally unconscionable! Who would think this is reasonable?!? But that said, given that NZ is 10% larger than the UK but with 1/14th the population, that does feel pretty high.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I would love to move to Wellington or almost anywhere in NZ that was not Auckland.

I work at a wireless ISP / data center, maybe I am skilled enough to find a job. I know very soon people will be fleeing this sinking ship of the American Empire and nice places like NZ will just most likely shut their doors.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A buddy and their spouse live in Auckland and love the poo poo out of it. NZ is pretty dope.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If anyone wants to laugh at republicans making GBS threads themselves, check out the posts by the Department of Water Resources on facebook. Apparently there is a giant conspiracy by DWR and the Orville dam will fail any second.

"I'M NO ENGINEER BUT,,"

quote:

Funny that two weeks ago a friend warned me not to go near that dam when it rains. She said she has personally seen cracks in the dam itself (over twenty years ago) and they have been covering it up.

quote:

Meanwhile..residents are waiting for someone to tell them to evacuate..lol..dummies evacuate while you are ahead..dont trust these cats

DWR posted:

Despite rumors, Oroville Dam spillway has not collapsed. Additional damage to the spillway has occurred due to the increased flows, but is still being used.

quote:

Repair our Dams no train bullet

quote:

Every where is flooding i know what the echo system needs more water!

quote:

DWR are liars.they have no clue

quote:

drat they are stupid for opening it back up gonna be all bad here soon watch an see

quote:

DWR says there is no threat to the dam or public. They are the LAST people I would ever trust. If I lived in Oroville, Yuba City, Marysville, or anywhere along the Feather River I would stay the weekend elsewhere.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They're getting confused because the Oroville spillway IS eroding badly and falling apart. But that's just a concrete channel that the water flows down. The dam itself is fine.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-oroville-spillway-damage-20170209-story.html

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

If anyone wants to laugh at republicans making GBS threads themselves, check out the posts by the Department of Water Resources on facebook. Apparently there is a giant conspiracy by DWR and the Orville dam will fail any second.

"I'M NO ENGINEER BUT,,"

I think leaving Yuba City and Marysville is always good advice.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They're getting confused because the Oroville spillway IS eroding badly and falling apart. But that's just a concrete channel that the water flows down. The dam itself is fine.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-oroville-spillway-damage-20170209-story.html

I know it's superficially scary, but all of these hicks yelling "Get A BRAIN! MORANS" are really funny to me.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shbobdb posted:

We're disrupting the inefficient governmental military market. Have you seen how inefficient the government-run military is?

Besides, this is more of a "gig" rather than a career, so while some of the pay and perks might not be as much as it would be for a more traditional soldier, it provides a good way for housewives to earn some extra money while the kids are away at school. It's about providing opportunity and making use of the surplus labor we have right now.

Plus we have thousands of tanks out in Mojave, just waiting to be used

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm more curious as to what new states would result from such a bumblefuck. West Virginia split off from Virginia when it left the union. There are large chunks of California and Oregon that would love the opportunity to form a new state.

The 51st state, West Idaho

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 10, 2017

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Anyone got a lead on protesting the immigration raids this weekend? Having a hard time finding something in Los Angeles

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Markorjoshua posted:

Anyone got a lead on protesting the immigration raids this weekend? Having a hard time finding something in Los Angeles

Check and see if CHIRLA has anything organized. Also, there was some demonstrating yesterday near the Metropolitan Detention Center over by Alameda near Union Station.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Uh... this is bad, right?

https://twitter.com/CA_DWR/status/830940227908677633

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's probably some serious flooding, but it's not the dam failing and a wall of water sweeping the Feather River clean like most of the news articles seems to want so badly.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Well that's egg on MY face!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How does a California department not have a verified Twitter, though? Shameful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also :lol: @ the twitter responses blaming this on illegal immigrants.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

withak posted:

It's probably some serious flooding, but it's not the dam failing and a wall of water sweeping the Feather River clean like most of the news articles seems to want so badly.

Imagine the complete clusterfuck if this happened and Trump tried to play games with disaster relief aid because California. Never mind that the people getting wet are mostly Republicans.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Imagine the complete clusterfuck if this happened and Trump tried to play games with disaster relief aid because California. Never mind that the people getting wet are mostly Republicans.

They were talking about how a bunch of other nearby reservoirs are at 95-98% full, and they're trying to figure out whether those need to start holding back water to reduce the flooding

This is gonna get worse next week

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Gawddamn watching Oroville Spillway made me :psyduck:. 150,000 cubic feet of water blasting out of a set of sluice gates is like a really, really high pressure sand blaster. The amount of hillside they've washed away because of the decision to continue to use the spillway is tremendous. The entire downstream is going to be silted all to gently caress because, in addition to several million tons of water, you're also adding in several hundred tons of hillside dirt. The downstream dam (who's name I can't remember) is going to lose several years of usable life because of all the extra silt that's going to accumulate behind it.

It's funny to think that last year was a totally average water year. This year has been absolutely exceptional. I don't think there's a dam in California that's not above 80% capacity right now. What's really poo poo is that it's going to make the argument for more dams (which there really should not be) that much stronger.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

A White Guy posted:

Gawddamn watching Oroville Spillway made me :psyduck:. 150,000 cubic feet of water blasting out of a set of sluice gates is like a really, really high pressure sand blaster. The amount of hillside they've washed away because of the decision to continue to use the spillway is tremendous. The entire downstream is going to be silted all to gently caress because, in addition to several million tons of water, you're also adding in several hundred tons of hillside dirt. The downstream dam (who's name I can't remember) is going to lose several years of usable life because of all the extra silt that's going to accumulate behind it.

It's funny to think that last year was a totally average water year. This year has been absolutely exceptional. I don't think there's a dam in California that's not above 80% capacity right now. What's really poo poo is that it's going to make the argument for more dams (which there really should not be) that much stronger.

somebody in the OSHA thread found the geology report and theres bedrock 30ft under the spillway so at least theres a limit the silt, albeit a high one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Glumslinger posted:

They were talking about how a bunch of other nearby reservoirs are at 95-98% full, and they're trying to figure out whether those need to start holding back water to reduce the flooding

This is gonna get worse next week

Glad my folks live in the Grass Valley area so they're above all this bullshit.

Then again I'm in San Diego so when Putin detonates the mineshaft he's building into the San Andreas and escapes cackling aboard a blimp I'm gonna slide into the Pacific along with the rest of the coastal elite.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

withak posted:

The "emergency spillway" is just the muddy side of a hill. When it "fails" that means that erosion has set in, so unless it has some big contiguous granite boulders, you could see some serious issues.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

A White Guy posted:

They literally don't have a choice, the emergency spillway (aka the one they are worried about) is just a ridge covered in concrete below the dam height. If the water rises high enough, they can't prevent it from going over the emergency spillway

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

TildeATH posted:

The "emergency spillway" is just the muddy side of a hill. When it "fails" that means that erosion has set in, so unless it has some big contiguous granite boulders, you could see some serious issues.

The emergency spillway is literally the 'oh poo poo if this goes any higher the dam will blow out'. It's not meant to be a true spillway, it's meant to be a literal emergency release valve. They're still using the regular spillway because the alternatives are 'erode the hillside a lot' or 'really erode the hillside a lot'.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dredge all the silt, dump into into San Francisco Bay and build tenements housing for startup employees on the new land.

I'm gonna go start raising capital for this scheme. I call it Dredgr Islandr.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
Reservoirs near me are still low ~18%. But they were at 1% before the rains started.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Was there any prior indication that the spillway (the original failure) was possibly going to fail? Of course there are the legions of idiots that are going, "lol spend money to fix your dams not make trains or illegals!!!" But, if there was no call to fix anything months/years ago, then that wouldn't actually do anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HelloSailorSign posted:

Was there any prior indication that the spillway (the original failure) was possibly going to fail? Of course there are the legions of idiots that are going, "lol spend money to fix your dams not make trains or illegals!!!" But, if there was no call to fix anything months/years ago, then that wouldn't actually do anything.

We've known the flood control infrastructure around Sacramento has needed major overhauling for years. The problem is that it's a really loving big job that costs a lot and nobody really wanted to actually step up and deal with it.

Here's a useful illustration of the problem:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

A White Guy posted:

The emergency spillway is literally the 'oh poo poo if this goes any higher the dam will blow out'. It's not meant to be a true spillway, it's meant to be a literal emergency release valve. They're still using the regular spillway because the alternatives are 'erode the hillside a lot' or 'really erode the hillside a lot'.

Losing 30 feet of Lake Oroville at its peak would be pretty catastrophic.

I love how twitter has devolved into THE DAM IS FAILING, SACRAMENTO GONNA WASH INTO THE SEA, and LOL CALIFORNIA LIBTARDS THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR NOT VOTING FOR TRUMP.

Anyone know who to listen to for realtime updates?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

TildeATH posted:

Losing 30 feet of Lake Oroville at its peak would be pretty catastrophic.

I love how twitter has devolved into THE DAM IS FAILING, SACRAMENTO GONNA WASH INTO THE SEA, and LOL CALIFORNIA LIBTARDS THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR NOT VOTING FOR TRUMP.

http://www.kcra.com/nowcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

TildeATH posted:

There's an @Oroville_Dam that's been pretty good.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

We've known the flood control infrastructure around Sacramento has needed major overhauling for years. The problem is that it's a really loving big job that costs a lot and nobody really wanted to actually step up and deal with it.

Interesting, I expected as much.