Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Cyan has had a ton of ups and downs over the years, to the point where at one point, instead of game development, they were making ends meet by doing outsourced QA for other companies and renting out the grounds of their headquarters (bought during brighter times with brighter futures predicted) for weddings and functions. Hell, I think they still rent out a second building they had built in preparation for further Uru development to a local church for storage.

So, you know, whenever they charge full price or take a timed exclusivity deal or whatever? I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think a from-scratch remake could ever be reasonably expected to be a free upgrade. At best you could say it doesn't need to exist. I think the new Myst's main reason for existing is its VR support. It does look quite good though (except for changing the FMVs to CGI) even compared to the relatively recent Unity version of realMyst.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

"demanded" alright guy, I get it

I didn't mean that you or anyone here was demanding it, but there are a bunch of others posting in various locations demanding that kind of stuff.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i played the very first version of realmyst and had an absolute blast. id prolly buy the latest one but only after a sale lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I still think the disclaimer on the steam page was to mostly pre-empt anything then anyone really demanding free upgrades.

I definitely want to check out the Myst remake at some point - I never got to check out realMyst and the bonus age it added because it had weird availability for the longest time or something, then I feel like there was some reason I put off getting it on Steam.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I still think the disclaimer on the steam page was to mostly pre-empt anything then anyone really demanding free upgrades.

I definitely want to check out the Myst remake at some point - I never got to check out realMyst and the bonus age it added because it had weird availability for the longest time or something, then I feel like there was some reason I put off getting it on Steam.

whoah. whats the extra world? never played og myst

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
gently caress Myst where's my real time remake of Dragon Lore

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Where's the remake of Pyst?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ArfJason posted:

Rime, the snow/ice one, if I recall.

I'm under the impression it's optimal and nothing too big.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ArfJason posted:

RealMyst added a bonus age, Rime, that you can access after beating the main game, which has a couple of extra puzzles that end in a tease for Riven.

It's not currently in the new remake, but they want to add it in the future.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Huh. I dont remember that part and im sure i got at least all endings in realmyst. In any case im due for a replay. Its been several years so im sure ive forgotten most of the puzzles. What a great game

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Anyone old enough to own a 1993 game when it was new can afford to pay 30 bucks in 2021. What Bethesda did with Quake was great, but it is the exception.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Any news on Kingpin/SiN Reloaded? Was hoping to play those this year. :ohdear: Yeah I know I can just fire up the originals.

Serious Sam with raytracing because.

https://wccftech.com/serious-sam-the-first-encounter-ray-traced-trailer/

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

DoombatINC posted:

Wallet chain shotgun punks are in Prime Target, Rupert's hospital shooter with primitive polygons is Sensory Overload - though both are Mac FPSes that have Hexen-ish hubs, and there's subterranean levels in both, and in both you eavesdrop on a walkie-talkie for plotpoints, and they both have conventional political intrigue premises that take a hard turn towards blaster rifles and ninjas at a certain point...

I'm surprised that after all this time there isn't an Aleph One fork for running Damage Incorporated / Prime Target / ZPC, I'd especially love another go through Prime Target that didn't involve Sheepshaver

edit: it just occurred to me that last week in this very thread I said that nobody ever talks about Sensory Overload :v:

I should learn to read. :doh:
The last time I got the itch to play those (Bungie adjacent) games I looked into it. The last real solid effort to reverse engineer DI I found was around 2014 and there was a hard drive crash.
Marathon Pfhorums thread.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any news on Kingpin/SiN Reloaded? Was hoping to play those this year. :ohdear: Yeah I know I can just fire up the originals.

Serious Sam with raytracing because.

https://wccftech.com/serious-sam-the-first-encounter-ray-traced-trailer/

maybe it's due to the complexity of the newer engine or something but i find it kinda funny this was done for the original serious sam and not the fusion games

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thief inspired art deco first person sneaker Filcher comes out on the 14th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SusgBwMCWKQ

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1355650/Filcher/

Been following the development of this for a bit now. I hope it's neato.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That said, arguing over Myst is somewhat futile because Cyan's MO is to constantly remake (by whatever definition) the game in way that nobody else does aside maybe for Tetris.

My good sir, may I introduce you to the magic that is SpiderWeb Software?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

I really liked Scourge of Armagon and Dimension of the Past, but wasn't particularly smitten by Dissolution of Eternity. That said, I do have some good news: you really, really don't have to play the expansions in order. This isn't a game with deep and intricate lore, it's a game where dopamine-infused shotgun-wielding morons fight side-by-side with armored knights with bog-standard swords. If you wanna jump straight to the new episode, by God, jump straight to it.
I just finished Dissolution of Eternity and I'm kinda glad it's over tbh, a solid 6/10 imho. Some of the levels are brilliant but the monster closets and spawn traps grate after a while, there's a ton of button hunting/back-tracking and the earthquake gimmick is annoying af. Really loved Scourge though.

Looking forward to picking up both Dimension's this week.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh yeah, that jumping between carpets is purestrain thief.

That said, I'm kinda not into regressing to sprites over thief's full 3d models.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

site posted:

maybe it's due to the complexity of the newer engine or something but i find it kinda funny this was done for the original serious sam and not the fusion games

It’s not an official product. The original engine is open source so there wasn’t much choice.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Supposedly an alpha release of the Dark Forces engine remake soon? I'll believe it when I see it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

david_a posted:

It’s not an official product. The original engine is open source so there wasn’t much choice.

Ah for some reason I had it in my head that serious engine 3 or the fusion engine or whatever they call it was also open now

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I tried out InjectD3 just now. For some dumb reason it increased my screen brightness but the window mode works like a dream. Only problem is I had to change the install location after it gave me the "Execution in WinMain() was stopped by an Access Violation" crap. I have to wonder if that can be fixed somehow with the inject mod down the line.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I almost completed Myst once (Masterpiece Edition), but then I got stuck on the musical puzzle and never got finished it. I'm just super loving bad at adventure games, I have a hard time with puzzles for some reason.

It's nice to see updates at the very least, but yeah.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Nothing announced at or after Realms Deep. Between all of their other projects slipping for various reasons and the buyout I assume 3DR has their hands full. SiN is also a collaboration with Night Dive (who I think own the IP outright now?) and lord knows they've had their hands full between Shadowman, Quake, Powerslave, System Shock 2 and lord knows what else.

Zeether posted:

I tried out InjectD3 just now. For some dumb reason it increased my screen brightness but the window mode works like a dream. Only problem is I had to change the install location after it gave me the "Execution in WinMain() was stopped by an Access Violation" crap. I have to wonder if that can be fixed somehow with the inject mod down the line.
If you have the opportunity, drop a post in the Issues section of the GitHub with your old install location so the author can look into it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

gently caress that. Russian hackers found a way to add real mouse look and modern controls. More than sufficient.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've already gotten all but two of the achievements in the new Myst (just need to (hidden cheevos) get all the red/blue pages, including the two final ones, without ever actually putting them in the books and speedrun the good ending in under two minutes - I can do five easy, but two minutes how the gently caress). It's fine? It's a looker, but the puzzle randomization didn't really do a whole lot for me sadly. The solutions to the puzzles are different, the steps to derive those solutions are not, so you're still going through the same motions as you did the first time, but without the "aha" moments because you've done this. And honestly, one of the things I thought they would have for sure changed, they didn't - the codebook page requested to find the final red/blue pages and the D'ni Linking Book to reach Atrus is the same as it ever was, so you can still speedrun your way there. I'd have figured that'd be one of the things they'd for sure change, just so you couldn't do that!

Narcissus1916 posted:

gently caress that. Russian hackers found a way to add real mouse look and modern controls. More than sufficient.
More than adequate to be sure, but getting HD resolutions would be nice too.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

gonna frob filchob all that shiny junk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Dissolution of Eternity in Quake 1 map, Cave of Death, has the single worst sequence of any part of Quake. I thought the stage in Scourge of Amagon where the floor falls out from under you instantly killing you with no warning requiring you to trial and error your way to a safe path was the bottom of quality, but what if we added earthquake physics which persist while you are jumping to an instant death platforming sequence with parts of the floor dropping out from under you with no warning.

I must have save reloaded 15 times in that short sequence.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Barudak posted:

The Dissolution of Eternity in Quake 1 map, Cave of Death, has the single worst sequence of any part of Quake. I thought the stage in Scourge of Amagon where the floor falls out from under you instantly killing you with no warning requiring you to trial and error your way to a safe path was the bottom of quality, but what if we added earthquake physics which persist while you are jumping to an instant death platforming sequence with parts of the floor dropping out from under you with no warning.

what else could you expect from a level name of CAAAAAVE....OF DEAAAATHHHHH :downswords:

DoE isn't the worst, but it's certainly not the greatest

(probably the laziest level name ever)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Barudak posted:

I was largely pretty fond of both Quake Mission Packs, but holy poo poo, gently caress both those bits particularly. I probably loaded about as much.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

More than adequate to be sure, but getting HD resolutions would be nice too.

Hah! Admittedly, fair point. I'm honestly just happy I can finally recommend it to friends without a bajillion qualifiers.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the new Myst is insanely pretty and very cool (apart from the actors being replaced with CGI; the fmvs looked way better) but even with randomized puzzle solutions,

it's a really short game. definitely wait for it to go on sale, 30 bucks is too much for it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A Steam page is up for REKKR: Sunken Land, a not-free, extended version of the Doom TC (that you can play on your Switch or consoles via the Doom re-releases!)

Take The Crown has announced a two-day 2v2 Doom 2 Team DM tournament with a brand new mapset by Rottking and a $1000 prize pool, if you're interested in watching some SSG Jousting in a few weeks time.

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1432413216630624260

The Kins fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 31, 2021

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

Unfortunately there's plenty more of that in store. And just wait for the final boss battle!

btw that bit in Scourge can be done without trial and error, you just have to move slowly.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

toiletbrush posted:

Unfortunately there's plenty more of that in store. And just wait for the final boss battle!

btw that bit in Scourge can be done without trial and error, you just have to move slowly.

In Scourge, If you shoot the brick above the switch you're trying to get to, the path lights up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

manero posted:

In Scourge, If you shoot the brick above the switch you're trying to get to, the path lights up

I was looking for a trick like this but could not figure it out. Ah well, Scourge was fine otherwise that a single room didn't wreck it for me.

On the other hand Dissolution of Eternity has decided every single level in the second set of maps needs to end with a really, really boring bossfight that I am drowning in ammo for and its not like, bad, but its just so boring.

Honest to Goodness one of the highlights of Dissolution of Eternity is that it has a different monster replacing the Vores and then in one random room, in like the second to last level, there is a single regular Vore and I was so unprepared to see a regular-rear end-vore at that point I honestly smiled.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

manero posted:

I never noticed that. I just built up enough speed to jump to the end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't imagine the remasters got a bunch of people to run out and buy Doom/Quake if they didn't already own them, and if they did the remaster is free.

:wrong: all my console friends bought it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

If you have the opportunity, drop a post in the Issues section of the GitHub with your old install location so the author can look into it.
I had to change it to a C drive (well, the C drive I had backed up onto my D drive) to make it work. According to GOG forums that's what it took for someone else except it had to be the Windows OS location. It's a really strange issue.