Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Syrian Lannister posted:

Sure that would be excellent.

Lexicon Valley is a really excellent podcast from Slate about general linguistics topics. It's pretty prolific, so feel free to skip around a bit. About 3/4's of the way through they switch hosts to Professor John McWorter who's really good. Since he took over the show has started to focus on American English a bit more but it's still really interesting and I could listen to him explain stuff all day. His recent episodes on American English becoming "blacker" and his one about the Movie Arrival and the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis were really good.

Words For Granted is relatively new and focuses on the history of English vocabulary and how words and their meaning have shifted over time. It deals with history a lot more then Lexicon Valley does, plus each episode is 20 minutes or less so they're easy to catch up with and listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

RE: all the back/neck aches people have been posting about. I got one of these on a friend's recommendation and it owns: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJATS9Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At first it felt all like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5kEyo1qL-U

But then it was like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0XzMOW0wgI

I've thrown my back out a couple times from dead lifts, and this thing definitely helps.

(Also it's a unit the size of an MP3 player with electrode pads on wires, so you don't have to worry about it being one of those "massager" units that looks like a big ol' vibrator.)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
TENS units are weird.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

ManMythLegend posted:

Lexicon Valley is a really excellent podcast from Slate about general linguistics topics. It's pretty prolific, so feel free to skip around a bit. About 3/4's of the way through they switch hosts to Professor John McWorter who's really good. Since he took over the show has started to focus on American English a bit more but it's still really interesting and I could listen to him explain stuff all day. His recent episodes on American English becoming "blacker" and his one about the Movie Arrival and the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis were really good.

Words For Granted is relatively new and focuses on the history of English vocabulary and how words and their meaning have shifted over time. It deals with history a lot more then Lexicon Valley does, plus each episode is 20 minutes or less so they're easy to catch up with and listen to.

Thanks for these

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

Thanks for these

:hfive:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Army gave me a tens unit. Then the VA gave me a tens unit. They're obviously better now, but no giant leap forward. I've had one laying around for at least a decade that I use once in a while when poo poo gets bad. Thanks gubmint!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I bought Mao a cat tree. She's going loving nuts right now loving it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

lite_sleepr posted:

So does a pad and pen, for a fraction of the cost.

yes but that wasn't what the conversation was about

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cat chat?

Here's one of my kitties, she is rather sleepy so I rubbed her ears to get her to wake up for the picture.

This cat loves fleece blankets, she gets upset if I take away her blanket for any reason. When I wash it she will spend the next day and a half just rolling all in it and rubbing on it to make it smell like her again.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 18, 2017

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dad chat is the official thread of cat chat.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Got part of my SS gift sorted for next year

http://futurezine.storenvy.com/products/10507797-son-of-a-bitch-patch

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Dad chat is the official thread of cat chat.

Clyde and Dexter:

Dexter and Clyde:

Queen Infinite bitch Nikiti :mad:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Back at the dealership. Today Show is on the tv. How the gently caress do people watch this? Their banter is making me want to kill myself.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Rat posted:

RE: all the back/neck aches people have been posting about. I got one of these on a friend's recommendation and it owns: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJATS9Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But then it was like

I've thrown my back out a couple times from dead lifts, and this thing definitely helps.

(Also it's a unit the size of an MP3 player with electrode pads on wires, so you don't have to worry about it being one of those "massager" units that looks like a big ol' vibrator.)

My hombre, if you're throwing your back out doing deadlifts stop doing deadlifts or drop the weight SIGNIFICANTLY so you can focus on form. Your back should not be engaging to that point whatsoever.

Clench that rear end like the green weenie is trying to invade, deep belly breath, squeeze the lats like you're trying to crush oranges under your armpits and hinge at the HIPS.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

The Rat posted:

But then it was like

If you're throwing out your back during dead lifts, maybe re evaluate form, or reduce weight.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Back at the dealership. Today Show is on the tv. How the gently caress do people watch this? Their banter is making me want to kill myself.

Dropped mine off Monday for some we-owe work, Live with Kelly was on.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

This is why earbuds and *some kind of music player* are a must have

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shim Signal: How's Pikes Peak in the winter? I've got a guest coming in and I want to see if we can drive up it this weekend. How do you turn around if they close sections of the road?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

MA-Horus posted:

My hombre, if you're throwing your back out doing deadlifts stop doing deadlifts or drop the weight SIGNIFICANTLY so you can focus on form. Your back should not be engaging to that point whatsoever.

Clench that rear end like the green weenie is trying to invade, deep belly breath, squeeze the lats like you're trying to crush oranges under your armpits and hinge at the HIPS.

Yeah I stopped. Having that happen twice in a year was enough for me. No other exercise I do has that kind of risk or injury potential.

I've been doing kettlebell swings to work that area in the meantime. What other lower back exercises are there that aren't as risky?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Shim Signal: How's Pikes Peak in the winter? I've got a guest coming in and I want to see if we can drive up it this weekend. How do you turn around if they close sections of the road?

They try to keep it open, and will tell you if it's not. Call (719) 385-7325.
As for turning around, it depends on your vehicle. For automatics, usually second position for the shifter. For manuals, usually forward and left or rearward and right, but always demarcated with the letter 'R'

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:golfclap:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Had my third interview at my house, got this poo poo in the bag son. Hello 66% higher salary by the end of the year :q:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nice

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Rat posted:

Yeah I stopped. Having that happen twice in a year was enough for me. No other exercise I do has that kind of risk or injury potential.

I've been doing kettlebell swings to work that area in the meantime. What other lower back exercises are there that aren't as risky?

Weighted back extensions. When you get on the rack, extend using your glutes, not your back. Makes your butt hurt real good.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The Rat posted:

Yeah my lumbar is all hosed up and the sheer across my vertebrae always made me nervous and uncomfortable during deadlifts. I switched to a sumo style deadlift (the hexagonal looking bar you stand in the middle of) and it was way better. Your back is a lot straighter vertically during the exercise.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

Makes your butt hurt real good.

New army thread title.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A professor of mine asked for me to sit in on a advertising alum panel for graduating seniors today. It was pretty dope talking to these students about the industry.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Mike-o posted:

New army thread title.

New mouse-over

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
How many of you dads have given up drinking for at least 30 days? At the end of the 30 days, did you notice anything different? Did you loose and inch or two off your waist? Feel better? What about soda?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Been sober since November.

TBH started compensating by drinking soda, and have been slowly weening myself off that.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah my lumbar is all hosed up and the sheer across my vertebrae always made me nervous and uncomfortable during deadlifts. I switched to a sumo style deadlift (the hexagonal looking bar you stand in the middle of) and it was way better. Your back is a lot straighter vertically during the exercise.

that's trap deadlift, and the bar you stand inside is a trap bar

sumo style DL is with a straight bar, a very wide stance and pulling with your arms relatively close together on the bar, like a sumo wrestler squatting

:goonsay:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lite_sleepr posted:

How many of you dads have given up drinking for at least 30 days? At the end of the 30 days, did you notice anything different? Did you loose and inch or two off your waist? Feel better? What about soda?

I've gone from vast amounts of soda to 2-3 per week. I'm down 7 lbs since 3 Jan.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Buca di Bepis posted:

Talk of snow friday/saturday in the mountains. Remember it's 8000 feet up from Colorado Springs, so wear warm clothes and keep the heat cranked. It's going to be 40s down in the city this weekend, so figure probably in the 20s daytime up top of the peak.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Godholio posted:

I've gone from vast amounts of soda to 2-3 per week. I'm down 7 lbs since 3 Jan.

That's really good. I don't drink soda really at all. Maybe 1 every few weeks. It's beer that gets me. I decided that if I'm going to have a beverage vice, it's going to be beer. If I can give that up for a month I wonder if I can get a truly flat stomach, rather than a little mound.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I've been subbing in flavored seltzer water for soda.

Like the Kroger brand version of LaCroix since I guess even diet soda is bad for you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Beer is a significant part of my daily calorie intake so I start losing weight when I stop drinking. I'm a skinny bastard already so I just have to keep drinking.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I quit drinking again sometime around November '15. I never really drank enough to effect my weight, but I'm still down around 20 pounds since then.

But I haven't skipped a day of weed since I got to Colorado about five months ago. And if you eat before smoking, munchies are not an issue. But I'm also a lot more active here what with Frank and the dog parks and all.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've changed my diet a lot in the past few months. Eating way more veggies and avoiding junky poo poo as often as I can. There's that downside with getting older: takes more effort to maintain.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

joat mon posted:

They try to keep it open, and will tell you if it's not. Call (719) 385-7325.
As for turning around, it depends on your vehicle. For automatics, usually second position for the shifter. For manuals, usually forward and left or rearward and right, but always demarcated with the letter 'R'

Yeah that was a dumb thing to ask, I had it in my mind that it was a single lane death road or something haha.

I've been subbing in flavored seltzer water for soda.

Like the Kroger brand version of LaCroix since I guess even diet soda is bad for you.

All the dumb controversies over artificial sweeteners are made up. The only meaningfully bad part of diet soda is how the acidity can damage your teeth.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Diet soda causes allergies, allergies require vaccines, vaccines cause autism. Ergo, diet soda causes autism!!!

• Locked thread