Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My wife is a big fan of casually scrolling through our local facebook yard sale groups and it's an endless sea of giant hutches and poo poo from clearly dead people's estates that are asking for like $500 and you have to haul'em yourself

a fact we found out when her mother passed last year is that nobody, absolutely nobody, wants old giant furniture at any price
apartments have nowhere to put giant hutches or ornately carved dressers or whatever, and even if they did nobody is paying $200 for what you'll be leaving on the roadside next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

most EU countries have axed their so-called Golden Passport programs in the past 3 years (or are in the process), as it contributed to hypergentrification. Malta still has it though

Italy and Greece have golden visas starting at €500k

that’s the glory of free movement and the race to the bottom, bribe your way to any EU passport and you’re golden

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

My wife is a big fan of casually scrolling through our local facebook yard sale groups and it's an endless sea of giant hutches and poo poo from clearly dead people's estates that are asking for like $500 and you have to haul'em yourself

a fact we found out when her mother passed last year is that nobody, absolutely nobody, wants old giant furniture at any price
apartments have nowhere to put giant hutches or ornately carved dressers or whatever, and even if they did nobody is paying $200 for what you'll be leaving on the roadside next week

always wonder what happens to all the porcelain plates and little characters oldies love to keep

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jel Shaker posted:

always wonder what happens to all the porcelain plates and little characters oldies love to keep

My experience is that it skips 2 generations to the great-nephews and nieces who enjoy creepy porcelain clowns and antique teapots

e: or it ends up in a storage unit for "future sale" until someone forgets about it

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Jel Shaker posted:

where do you think those inner-city "smash rooms" get their stock

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Jel Shaker posted:

that’s the glory of free movement and the race to the bottom, bribe your way to any EU passport and you’re golden

Selling citizenship is truly a sign we’re at the end

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

the crime, as always, is Not Doing What The Boomers Did. in this case, not eating tasteless, boiled, canned veggies. :qq:YOU THINK YOURE BETTER THAN ME??:qq:

Generally we try not to slab a knob of lead into green beans anymore.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Willa Rogers posted:

Anyone doing this newfangled way of dumpster diving by ordering food from restaurants before it's thrown out?

I saved $1,700 eating leftover food from NYC’s top restaurants — here’s the gourmet haul I got for mere dollars

:hellyeah:

The surprise-bag concept would prolly be bad for picky eaters but these apps sound good.

that sounds like a cool idea but I imagine at some point it’ll work like any surprise bag idea and it’ll turn into gambling for something nice when 99% of bags are two stale fries, some packs of ketchup, and a pair of fake vampire teeth from the dollar store

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you want something gone, list it for free. That MIGHT work. Like eight years ago or so I tried to get rid of an old IKEA entertainment center and I literally could not give it away. The place I lived at the time had laws against curbing furniture and my landlord absolutely refused to help in any way shape or form (and was mad at me for asking) so eventually I just bought a handsaw and literally sawed it up into pieces small enough to put in the trash. Love how efficient our system is

Mola Yam posted:

where do you think those inner-city "smash rooms" get their stock

This seems pretty dystopian ngl

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Quebec has done this for years

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

most EU countries have axed their so-called Golden Passport programs in the past 3 years (or are in the process), as it contributed to hypergentrification. Malta still has it though

triple sulk posted:

just get italian citizenship through jure sanguinis bing bong so simple

(it's actually really convoluted depending on your ancestry)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Imagine wanting to be an Italian citizen. Mama mia!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Getting Polish (and thus EU) citizenship is possible via ancestry, there's some law firms that can help with the process. Takes a decent amount of time but if you have the smallest connection to family there, you can get it done for under $3k.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/Reuters/status/1779859720989200631

:elongate:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:yeshaha:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

Seattle is the worst for international arrivals. The loving worst. Get off plane -> 10 minute walk -> Pick up your luggage -> customs -> TSA again -> Drop your luggage off again -> Get on your connection.

Why the gently caress do you have to pick up your luggage? Or go through TSA? You’ve already been through the security in the country you are coming from! I don’t recall ever having to do that at any other airport but SEA.

Yeah this is "normal" for the US I think, same thing happened to us at LAX.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lmao white guys complaining about air travel

lmao when the tsa guy laughed at my name when we were coming through miami and said, 'yeah you're not getting through quick.'
then me and my wife spent a couple of hours in a waiting room with a buncha other people, almost missed our connecting flight home.
and this is the best case scenario i think cuz they didnt actually interrogate me and ask a buncha dumbass questions.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

what’s the actual number because “10%” has a casual sort of downplayed feeling to it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

*laughs in chinese*

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Does feel like Europe as a whole is falling into third world status
https://twitter.com/Censored4sure/status/1779568987963081031

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

shrike82 posted:

putting on the glasses from They Live and the headline reads MAJOR INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN GREEK REAL ESTATE

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

shrike82 posted:

Japan has been on this track for way longer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

triple sulk posted:

Japan has been on this track for way longer

I would abandon my life in the US for a free house in Greece. It's gorgeous there.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

shrike82 posted:

hmm i seem to remember greece getting hit insanely hard by covid, but probably unrelated

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

shrike82 posted:

That's an awful lot of words used to avoid saying COVID lmao

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

selling is a lot better than having a "you must have committed *this* many warcrimes to get citizenship" sign on the door like us/canada.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

limp dick calvin posted:

hmm i seem to remember greece getting hit insanely hard by covid, but probably unrelated

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

That's an awful lot of words used to avoid saying COVID lmao
Most of the comments are blaming the vaccine lol

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

fits my needs posted:

lmao white guys complaining about air travel

lmao when the tsa guy laughed at my name when we were coming through miami and said, 'yeah you're not getting through quick.'
then me and my wife spent a couple of hours in a waiting room with a buncha other people, almost missed our connecting flight home.
and this is the best case scenario i think cuz they didnt actually interrogate me and ask a buncha dumbass questions.

look if you're a visible minority you're already used to being harassed everywhere you go, so it's obvious that it's actually much worse for a white person to be mildly inconvenienced because they're not prepared for it.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Most of the comments are blaming the vaccine lol
they're right but for all the wrong reasons, lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That's funny, I see that Quebec resumed their immigrant investor program after a COVID break. Also there's now a federal digital nomad visa for no discernible reason (isn't the whole point of being an itinerant laptop lugger to go somewhere warm amd cheap?).

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I would abandon my life in the US for a free house in Greece. It's gorgeous there.

For whatever reason I've just never had any real desire to go there and I don't exactly know why, even though I love Greek food. As far as EU countries go, probably all three of Spain, Portugal, and France (still never been short of routing through CDG) are higher up my list, and probably Turkey too.

I'm working on getting an EU passport (I'm like 99% sure I qualify, but I'm finalizing some info I need), but it's insanely slow going because of all the documents I need to gather and it'll probably cost about a few thousand in total to actually get the legal work done which I don't have right now. I'm going to try and rope some of my family members into helping split the bill though since they can get it at the same time and I'll have done all of the hardest legwork. The benefits you get are ridiculously good though compared to this garbage rear end country.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Harik posted:

look if you're a visible minority you're already used to being harassed everywhere you go, so it's obvious that it's actually much worse for a white person to be mildly inconvenienced because they're not prepared for it.

they're right but for all the wrong reasons, lol

you're right, my wife was really pissed off first time traveling since the last name change lol

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Beached Whale posted:

ever since people have discovered the game of flipping "vintage" poo poo on Etsy for huge markups pretty much all of these shops have gotten wise and adjusted their prices accordingly.

That took a while, my mom was spending her days thrift shopping and flipping the products on eBay in the early 2000's since she learned about the site to sell Beanie Babies.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The days of getting a box full of good video games at a yard sale for $5 are over. Anything worth more than a buck is going straight to Facebook Marketplace

Apr 15, 2024
yeah that was 6 years ago

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

041524 posted:

yeah that was 6 years ago

you don't get to talk about deals, you have wasted thousands buying new accounts on a dead website

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The days of getting a box full of good video games at a yard sale for $5 are over. Anything worth more than a buck is going straight to Facebook Marketplace

Goodwill also sucks now because they put anything good on their auction website

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you could have been buying and smoking crack with that money and it would have been a better investment

Apr 15, 2024

literally everything. Owned.

Apr 15, 2024
the economics of garbage collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s emblematic of the antisocial tendencies that have run rife since Trump/covid/rise in general public talking to each other online.

It’s just the airport is a force multiplier. It’s one of the few major institutions that is specifically NOT run for its Customer Experience. It’s unapologetically overpriced. It has objectively gotten horrible in a generations time.

But most importantly, it is the only real melting pot left in America. Unless you are super wealthy, CHUDS are going to stand in line with a bunch of people they feel they’re inherently better than. And it doesn’t matter how many mortgage sized truck payments or underwater housing units or how many promotions their dad has given them. They’re gonna have to stand next to a black person and wait for a brown woman to say they can fly.

Plus, the actual wealthy abandoned airports some time ago, so the lunpenproles also get reminded that past the lifted truck and Cabelas sweatshirt they’re way closer to the bottom than they are to the top.

sure but lol if you think this is unique to chuds/trump. liberals are the exact mirror of chuds especially when it comes to judging themselves superior to people they are in line with. it doesn’t matter how big their condo payment is or how pointless their sinecure job is. they’re gonna had to stand next to a midwestern christian and wait for a traumatized gate attendant to say their flight is delayed.