Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Can't quite decide what is more sickening, the number of journos closing ranks to protect Keunssberg after she doxxed a member of the public, or the obscene amount of backslapping over bigoted gently caress John Humphries retiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
200+ new posts since yesterday evening? Surely there's been a deliberation on the prorogation!

... :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

Can't quite decide what is more sickening, the number of journos closing ranks to protect Keunssberg after she doxxed a member of the public, or the obscene amount of backslapping over bigoted gently caress John Humphries retiring.

Well, I mean, the evidence was quite damning.

communism bitch posted:

Petition of John Prichard, gent., a groom of His Majesty's chamber. Recites that John Thomas
and Elizabeth his wife, John Crockett, Thomas James and his son Stephen, Owen Vaughan and John
Humfreys, all of co. Montgomery, have spoken scandalous words about petitioner, his wife and his
mother. Among the words used, ' base old Tedge', was applied to petitioner's mother, ' idle base
queane' to his wife, and ' scurvy base fellow' to himself. John Humfreys also accused of laying violent
hands on petitioner whose wife ' being great with child was much Affrighted & endanngered'. Prays
that the complaint against these ' persons of base condic'on latelie indighted as accessaries to a
felony' may be considered. Endorsed 1632 and referred to three gentlemen of the country.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Guavanaut posted:

Pregnancy stuff

After our first miscarriage we decided to just be upfront and not try to hide it. My wife got asked within two days, by two different people, "what do you think you did wrong?/do you know what you did wrong?" We didn't tell anyone anything after that, to the extent that it was only about 4 months from finding out we were expecting to baby arriving for most people we know.

LL I didn't say anything before because that poo poo loving hurts, but I hope you're doing okay.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1174430667876311041?s=21

If they’re so opposed to a Corbyn premiership they need to stop making it sounds so fantastic.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Y...yes?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Noxville posted:

If they’re so opposed to a Corbyn premiership they need to stop making it sounds so fantastic.
In the Spectator: "Nobody showed up to my blanket party. What are friends for?"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

I think Rod Liddle's gonna be in a different wing, probably under protective custody

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

My wife got asked within two days, by two different people, "what do you think you did wrong?/do you know what you did wrong?"
Ugh, that's gross as hell, I'm sorry to hear that. "Do you know what happened?" is personal enough but that's just poo poo.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Part of BoJo's Brexit Masterplan is ... unraveling before our very eyes!

quote:

Berlin 'strongly rejects' London's Brexit mini deal offer

London offered to strike so-called mini deals with Germany in sectors such as agriculture, health and finance as a way to bypass Brexit negotiations with Brussels, but Berlin said it “strongly rejected” the proposal.

The U.K. government has approached various EU27 capitals with such deals or bilateral arrangements that would ameliorate the impact of a no-deal Brexit on both sides. But the move has infuriated European Commission officials, who fear a patchwork of partial deals could be more beneficial to the U.K. than the Withdrawal Agreement negotiated by Theresa May’s government last year.

In response to a parliamentary inquiry, Germany’s Europe Minister Michael Roth confirmed that Berlin, too, had been approached by British representatives “at various levels” concerning “the need for discussions on possible bilateral arrangements.”

“Particular interest was expressed by the U.K. representatives in the areas of agriculture, social security, healthcare, finance, internal security and labor market access,” Roth wrote in his reply to Green lawmaker Franziska Brantner, dated Tuesday.

The Europe minister — who is also running for leadership of the German Social Democratic Party — did not mince his words about Berlin’s disapproval of the British proposals: “The approach of absorbing the consequences of an unregulated withdrawal through bilateral agreements in the sense of a ‘managed no deal’ is strongly rejected by the federal government as well as by all European partners and the European Commission,” he wrote.

Germany “considers the unity of the EU27 to be decisive in all questions connected with Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union,” Roth continued. He added that Berlin “rejects any exchange on potential bilateral arrangements with Great Britain and does not conclude any corresponding agreements.”

Asked for a comment on the German minister’s response, a U.K. government spokesperson referred to a previous statement, in which the government said it is “untrue” the U.K. is trying to bypass talks with the Commission. The prior statement had also noted that the U.K. is seeking changes to the Withdrawal Agreement and also “speaking to Member States about key bilateral arrangements in areas such as Citizens Rights to ensure we are ready to leave on 31 October, whatever the circumstances.”

Luxembourg Prime Minister Xavier Bettel, for example, said his country had reached an agreement with London so that Luxembourgers can vote in local elections in Great Britain even if there is a no-deal exit.

French Europe Minister Amélie de Montchalin told reporters last week that London had also approached France with offers for bilateral deals covering areas such as citizens’ rights, security, the exchange of information in the defense sector, fisheries and research.

She also rejected London’s strategy: “What the U.K. is looking for is to recreate the special relationship it has with each member state … [by reaching] mini deals,” she said, adding: “It’s totally contrary to the spirit in which we are negotiating.”

German Green MP Brantner, who is the party’s spokesperson for European affairs, said she was surprised by the broad range of sectors for which the British had offered bilateral arrangements.

“It is incredible that the British government, instead of presenting a constructive proposal for a Brexit deal, is trying to negotiate bilaterally with individual EU countries,” she said. “This is nothing more than an attempt to split the EU.”

Brantner stressed that it was of utmost urgency that the EU27 remained united, “even under great pressure in the event of a no deal,” and that countries do not start negotiating individual deals with the U.K. on their own.

LMAO they've been trying to do an end run around Council by offering individual deals to the EU27, and it's not going great. Even with all that great prosecco buying power of the UK.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO they've been trying to do an end run around Council by offering individual deals to the EU27, and it's not going great. Even with all that great prosecco buying power of the UK.

Lol they still fundamentally don't get what the EU actually is, and thus are incapable of grasping how it operates.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Wasn't this a tactic already used by May that was very publicly derided by the member states approached?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

pitch a fitness posted:

Wasn't this a tactic already used by May that was very publicly derided by the member states approached?

Yeah, it's not a bad thing to try - splitting the EU27 by offering them tailored deals, and they might get somewhere doing that during the next (trade negotiation) phase. But this phase is all about Ireland, money and citizenship and on those three items no Member State gains by making a side-deal. It's a fundamental misreading of the EU's sequencing of the talks.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Andrew Sparrow is :qq:ing pretty hard on the Guardian liveblog about how poorly LauraK is being treated.

A sad journoman posted:

Kuenssberg’s tweet yesterday provoked a storm of outrage on social media from people who claimed that it was evidence of bias. Personally I thought the reaction was unpleasant and unfair. To point out that someone is a party activist is not to say that their complaint has no merit, and the criticisms I read of Kuenssberg all failed the ‘But what if it was the other way round test?’ If Jeremy Corbyn got berated by a member of the public in a newsworthy encounter, and he turned out to be a Tory activist, what would you think if the BBC failed to mention it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

Andrew Sparrow is :qq:ing pretty hard on the Guardian liveblog about how poorly LauraK is being treated.
Terrible that there's online mob consequences for trying to get online mob consequences for criticizing Boris Johnson.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Love how all these defences of Laura K mention the party activist tweet and not the "this is him here" tweet that everyone is actually mad at.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Also that's complete horseshit. Question Time in particular has a habit of portraying Tory officials and activists as 'regular citizens'.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Guavanaut posted:

Terrible that there's online mob consequences for trying to get online mob consequences for criticizing Boris Johnson.

‘BUT WHAT IF IT WAS ABOUT JEREMY CORBYN? :byodood:’ comes the disingenuous reply.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Pesmerga posted:

Yes, just imagine if the BBC had, for example, Tory councillors in the Question Time audience without disclosing them.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Come to Norfolk, it wont exist in 20 years.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I saw "Hulkenberg" was trending and thought that the Boris Johnson Laura Kussenberg power couple was finally official.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
SCOTUK day 3 underway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQ2CUPtdpA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I missed NOLA chat but as a former resident I would like to formally request all of you visit this lovely city before global warming and US government indifference kills it in your lifetime.

Satsuma oranges are good as are peeing on old buildings to house disgraced french dictators.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Fumble posted:

Come to Norfolk, it wont exist in 20 years.

can we accelerate that process somehow

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
when will the scotuk hand down its verdict

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

Satsuma oranges are good as are peeing on old buildings to house disgraced french dictators.
Macron has a second fifth home there?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pesmerga posted:

If Jeremy Corbyn had presided over massive dysfunction of the NHS and a patient's parent berated him on a hospital visit (that was not supposed to be a photo op in the first place), no one would loving care whether the parent was a Tory activist and rightly so. Just like if my grandma had wheels she'd be a bicycle.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

coffeetable posted:

when will the scotuk hand down its verdict

according to gdn liveblog this is the order of the day

quote:

10.30am: James Mure QC speaks on behalf of the Scottish government.

11am: Ronan Lavery QC speaks on behalf of Raymond McCord, who launched a legal challenge against a no-deal Brexit in Northern Ireland.

11.40am: Mike Fordham QC speaks on behalf of the Welsh government.

12.10pm: Lord Garnier QC speaks on behalf of Sir John Major, the Conservative former prime minister.

2pm: Lord Keen QC sums up for the government.

2.30pm: Lord Pannick sums up for Gina Miller

so i guess around 4pm

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Id be incredibly surprised if they actually announce the result today unless its a sweeping "gently caress off" verdict.

Likely we will get something tomorrow or Monday

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

pitch a fitness posted:

yeah, it's also pretty much what gove said they'd do even before the election results were in. basically tories think that every member nation's got to think of the eu exactly like they do, so they always expect to find national reps eager to be seen to shake off the burdens of illegitimate bureaucracy and, beyond that, only interested in which numbers to make look good in time for the next election.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Does any one know which journalist did this?

https://www.the42.ie/gareth-thomas-hiv-journalist-4814531-Sep2019/?utm_source=shortlink

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's not a bad tactic to try out but at this late stage it has almost no chance of working.

Also going to Germany with these mini-deals is clearly a bad idea as the EU is essentially the bastion of German international power so they aren't going to undermine that for some minor trade deals. Getting deals with a bunch of the smaller nations in the EU would have undermined German influence but that is shot now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Guranteed its one from the S*n

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd put money on it being The Paper That Supported Hitler or the One Scousers Won't Buy.

They view that kind of poo poo as 'the price of fame' and yet would scream blue murder if anyone did it to them.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Guranteed its one from the S*n

from this Deadspin article: "Thomas didn’t identify the journalist or paper, but told the morning show’s hosts “everybody” would know it, “especially of late.”"

so yeah it's 100% the Scum

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Sulphagnist posted:

If Jeremy Corbyn had presided over massive dysfunction of the NHS and a patient's parent berated him on a hospital visit (that was not supposed to be a photo op in the first place), no one would loving care whether the parent was a Tory activist and rightly so. Just like if my grandma had wheels she'd be a bicycle.

Tory Parent: "Why aren't you slashing budgets and privatising the NHS, Mr Corbyn? My poor sick child is being nursed to health in a world where number isn't global maximum!"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The shoe wouldn't fit on the other foot, because it's been customised to fit Johnson's cloven hooves

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

baka kaba posted:

*Laura K wriggles out of the jam easily*
Yes, but how does she deal with marmalade?
Please use condiments responsibly.

Gasmask posted:

Someone else said to use Tweetdeck. Not sure if that helps or not.
The two things that Tweetdeck has going for it is that it lets you filter out those lovely reply-retweets as well as regular retweets and likes, plus it lets you use the old sequential timeline instead of the one they switched to on the main-page.

Sanford posted:

After our first miscarriage we decided to just be upfront and not try to hide it. My wife got asked within two days, by two different people, "what do you think you did wrong?/do you know what you did wrong?" We didn't tell anyone anything after that, to the extent that it was only about 4 months from finding out we were expecting to baby arriving for most people we know.

LL I didn't say anything before because that poo poo loving hurts, but I hope you're doing okay.
It's so hosed up that people genuinely believe this 'just world' nonsense - like, it's seriously one of the worst forms of brain-worms there are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Fuchi posted:

Tory Parent: "Why aren't you slashing budgets and privatising the NHS, Mr Corbyn? My poor sick child is being nursed to health in a world where number isn't global maximum!"
It'll probably be "Why did you turn the private hospital that would give preferential care to my one rich son into an NHS Centre caring for 40 poor kids who will probably grow up to be shop assistants Mr Corbyn?" and the papers will nod along.

And then some vultures from the US will come along with homeopathic dialysis or some poo poo for $750,000 and they'll descend into "why won't your NHS pay for this for this Mr Corbyn?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

The two things that Tweetdeck has going for it is that it lets you filter out those lovely reply-retweets as well as regular retweets and likes, plus it lets you use the old sequential timeline instead of the one they switched to on the main-page.

Tweetdeck also doesn't have ads and promoted tweets, trending topics, moments, suggestions for who to follow, or algorithmic tweet suggestions in your notifications. It's by far the best way to Twitter even if you're not a power-user with a million columns because you have to know everything that's going on and/or you run several accounts(hi) and I dread the day the Twitter executives remember that Tweetdeck actually exists.