Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

PalaNIN posted:

Over the last week my neighbour (elderly, Sky News fanatic and Dan Andrews hater) shared a 15 minute tirade video with me from a sole trader in regional VIC which did the rounds on small-time conservative blogs. The video's initial argument was about how lockdowns cause a) huge mental health issues and b) financial support often misses people in certain communities. I don't have an issue with that argument and completely agree that lockdowns do cause a lot of grief, but when the alternative is people in hospitals or body bags I'm going to pick the lesser of the two evils any day.

People have had it easy in most Western countries for several generations so the idea that there are no good choices in a global emergency, only less bad choices, is something dummies have difficulty grasping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

snoremac posted:

I'm the one who was suspicious of that image yesterday but didn't post.

I too was suspicious. Suspicious that an active duty police officer (who for arguments sake we will call Mr Horse, I'm sorry if I assume the officers gender but the photo only shows them from the neck up), attended a large scale protest without a mask. After 30 seconds of digging it's very clear that no one knows if a horse could spread Covid, in fact, they're pretty sure no one has even tested a horse for Covid and that it might actually be possible for a horse to catch Covid.

That man is full on touching Mr Horse's face, and both of them are maskless. Disgraceful. Mr Horse should be stood down, with pay, pending an internal investigation, in the form of an anal Covid swab.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPA18-tENac

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

freebooter posted:

People have had it easy in most Western countries for several generations so the idea that there are no good choices in a global emergency, only less bad choices, is something dummies have difficulty grasping.

It really comes down to that under neoliberal, people deeply believe that there are no more actual problems, and thus solutions are no longer required. Ironically they fetishise Hard Men Making Hard Choices, because they believe those choices are never actually hard or at the expense of themselves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AHAB

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the first time I have seen labor in the news in maybe months and its to remind us that they are still spineless sacks of poo poo that can get in the bin and get hosed

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/labor-dumps-negative-gearing-backs-tax-cuts-20210726-p58cxs.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Remove the Medicare levy and I'll vote for them

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Laserface posted:

the first time I have seen labor in the news in maybe months and its to remind us that they are still spineless sacks of poo poo that can get in the bin and get hosed

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/labor-dumps-negative-gearing-backs-tax-cuts-20210726-p58cxs.html

Not that it matters because Labor won't win an election this century.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

What is the actual point of Labor? If they're not going to win and they're not going to disagree with the LNP on anything, what exactly *are* they for?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

hooman posted:

What is the actual point of Labor? If they're not going to win and they're not going to disagree with the LNP on anything, what exactly *are* they for?

Career minded politicians who don't want actual responsibility

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Animal Friend posted:

Career minded politicians who don't want actual responsibility

The only jobs program labor is in favour of.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

just crossposting from the gbs thread:

someone was infectious in my office, on a different floor/dept of the building, for 2 weeks. I was in the office on 2 separate occasions.

we got told last week, on thursday.
I went and got tested friday.
I got a negative result saturday.
today, HR emailed to say that nsw health had given the office the all clear with a list of close contacts being anyone on the same floor as the person, and casual contact as anyone in the building. again, NSW healths own directives given to our HR.

it was only TODAY that 'gold standard' contract tracers called me to inform me i was a 'close contact'. they were asking me to tell them what day I was in the office even though i checked in with the nsw service app. they also didnt know how to spell the nsw health email address, or even how to structure an email address when telling someone over the phone what it is, nor did they have any idea about the email/info HR had already given us which was from nsw health.

Apparently i cannot leave my house now, for any reason. I will be randomly checked on via facetime and if i dont answer, cops will be sent to my house.

I went to several different shops over the weekend so good job on getting in touch with all those 'close contacts' to tell them to isolate for 14 days.

no wonder this poo poo is out of control.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hooman posted:

According to Jordies this is all part of Labor's master plan to show the population how bad untethered LNP governments are by voting through their stinkers. :bravo:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Whats the trick for viewing thewest.com.au articles online?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Laserface posted:

just crossposting from the gbs thread:

someone was infectious in my office, on a different floor/dept of the building, for 2 weeks. I was in the office on 2 separate occasions.

we got told last week, on thursday.
I went and got tested friday.
I got a negative result saturday.
today, HR emailed to say that nsw health had given the office the all clear with a list of close contacts being anyone on the same floor as the person, and casual contact as anyone in the building. again, NSW healths own directives given to our HR.

it was only TODAY that 'gold standard' contract tracers called me to inform me i was a 'close contact'. they were asking me to tell them what day I was in the office even though i checked in with the nsw service app. they also didnt know how to spell the nsw health email address, or even how to structure an email address when telling someone over the phone what it is, nor did they have any idea about the email/info HR had already given us which was from nsw health.

Apparently i cannot leave my house now, for any reason. I will be randomly checked on via facetime and if i dont answer, cops will be sent to my house.

I went to several different shops over the weekend so good job on getting in touch with all those 'close contacts' to tell them to isolate for 14 days.

Shithouse situation, but can't really blame those individuals, it's likely they are from random areas who have been roped in to assist with less worrying contacts since the system must be incredibly overwhelmed at this point. Even with a handful of cases the multiple layers of contacts are a nightmare, dealing with dozens each day would be nigh on impossible.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Whats the trick for viewing thewest.com.au articles online?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Trust me, if I could find any other news source covering the story, I would use them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

According to Jordies this is all part of Labor's master plan to show the population how bad untethered LNP governments are by voting through their stinkers. :bravo:

I have defeated you by giving you everything you wanted, thus making me the winner.

The Wimp-Lo of political parties, trained wrong, as a joke.

Also, Sorry to hear that Laserface, that loving sucks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

cant remember which thread I posted it in but we also are the primary NSW DC for our business and we work in food logistics.

there is over 200 staff at our facility. trucks going interstate daily. good poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

I have defeated you by giving you everything you wanted, thus making me the winner.

I know the Democrats managed to do this once* with some horrific bill the GOP were trying to push through that would have broken a tonne of poo poo in their country, but were doing it just so they could scream about how the Dems were blocking them. So, the Democrats just stepped aside and refused to oppose it, meaning it would have gone through by default.

That meant all the Republicans had to scramble to stop their own bill from becoming law.

* just once, then went back to being even worse trash than Labor.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I'm no lawyer but this whole federal icac thing Labor just announced looks pretty good. Maybe some of the blatant corruption from the government might be met with some consequences?

Edit: Here's the announcement.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 26, 2021

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

George Christensen appears at anti-lockdown rally alongside QAnon supporters

Maverick federal government backbencher George Christensen appeared at an anti-lockdown rally in Mackay and posed just metres from QAnon supporters.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Laserface posted:

Doesn't matter how gold standard your contact tracing is if it gets overwhelmed because you didn't lock down HARD and FAST.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Konomex posted:

Doesn't matter how gold standard your contact tracing is if it gets overwhelmed because you didn't lock down HARD and FAST.

This is one of the main lessons with delta I reckon, it moves faster than contact tracing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The method we've been using in SA is to lock down immediately then get the contact tracing done while nobody is going anywhere. Once you've finished tracing you can tell everyone else to get going again while the people you identified remain in quarantine.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

The Lone Badger posted:

The method we've been using in SA is to lock down immediately then get the contact tracing done while nobody is going anywhere. Once you've finished tracing you can tell everyone else to get going again while the people you identified remain in quarantine.

What would Mr Christiansen think tho

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tommunist posted:

What would Mr Christiansen think tho

"Can I go back to thailand yet"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I found this interesting.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/hillsong-pastors-gain-permission-to-leave-australia-to-preach-in-mexico-20210726-p58d1g.html

Coz we have already discussed how foreign Right Wing commentators are being allowed IN to Australia for the important work of being on Reality TV over Australian Citizens who have the quite frankly paltry desire to return home and be with their family.

What is not being discussed as much is that you also have to apply for an exception to LEAVE the country. An exception many people are being denied on the grounds that they do not have reason enough to go overseas. Luckily going to America to shout "Jesus" at crowds is a good enough reason though.

Although, to be fair to these hateful religious fundies, they haven't broken or even bent any real rules. In fact the exemption they have used, (going to be out of Australia for more than 3 months), is the exemption I was/am going to use going to use when Japan opens up it's borders and I can take up the job that I was offered back in September of last year.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
my stepmother has been pushed back twice on going to malaysia to see her terminally ill 90+ father even though she and my dad are vaccinated due to their planned work in papua new guinea (which obviously got derailed by their severe outbreak). it's all really hosed

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

My little boy will be two before he meets his family in the UK for the first time. Breaks my heart really.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
My grampa telling me I was stupid for watching Ripley's believe it or not when I was like eight has only made me more excited about the potential of humanity

Such as boxing a horse

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Melb Lockdown's ending on wed if there's no nasty surprises.

might just poo poo myself in celebration

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

hooman posted:

Have you never heard the saying "the worse, the better"?

Looking forward to the Labor party going full Marxist-Leninist.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 26, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

EoinCannon posted:

This is one of the main lessons with delta I reckon, it moves faster than contact tracing

Where I work before this latest outbreak became a tier one site and we never got contract tracers in at all despite almost direct contact with the driver that started this poo poo in the first place. Our management closed the office on their own volition as soon as they found out by media report, we were WFH with no return date and told to get tested by management, NOT NSW Health. Dont know if NSW Health contacted anyone after that, havent asked, too pissed off about how preventable this whole situation was to care.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

sounds like you're reaching for excuses to poo poo yourself.

just do it.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Gentleman Baller posted:

I'm no lawyer but this whole federal icac thing Labor just announced looks pretty good. Maybe some of the blatant corruption from the government might be met with some consequences?

Edit: Here's the announcement.

Holy balls, Federal Labor announces an actual policy? Has the lockdown melted their brains? Were they trapped indoors for more than a week and actually started strategizing how to knife Morrison?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Konomex posted:

Holy balls, Federal Labor announces an actual policy? Has the lockdown melted their brains? Were they trapped indoors for more than a week and actually started strategizing how to knife Morrison?

that’s basically the one thing from Bill they haven’t jettisoned

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

birdstrike posted:

that’s basically the one thing from Bill they haven’t jettisoned

Anti-corruption is one of the big things that I reckon Labor is going to hit hard as part of the election campaign, and given their history during the better part of a decade they've been in government (Jesus loving Christ that hurts to write) it's something that the Coalition is going to find it hard to push too hard against.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Just want to say how cool it is to not receive any financial assistance during a lockdown yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!