Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I just find it hilarious that the developer needs to approve every single dayz server, and will blacklist your server if you kick people or password the server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
This is the biggest explosion of activity I have seen on this thread, something like 80 posts in a few hours. Good work Scoot! For the morality police, sorry he grieved your free mod game and caused the developer to pull a major boner on his game, tough poo poo.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shukaro posted:

I just find it hilarious that the developer needs to approve every single dayz server, and will blacklist your server if you kick people or password the server.
It's because characters persist across all servers, and it's too easy to make a passworded server, farm zombies, and go onto other servers and wreck poo poo.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Stuntman posted:

It's because characters persist across all servers, and it's too easy to make a passworded server, farm zombies, and go onto other servers and wreck poo poo.

Except you could use a scripting engine to give you fancy things that wasn't limited in the game?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Making kids scream their fatshit heads off and making spergs mismanage their mods and get upset! How the gently caress dare you post that poo poo in the happyhugsfriends thread?!

Oh wait it's the griefing thread, nevermind then. the "le Reddit" thing in the script was a nice touch, I guess since most people using the script were going to end up being channers it makes sense, I would just love to have seen what happened though if you'd put LLJK instead, the amount of rage that would have caused.

Now they're duping nukes! :qq:

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
As a developer, my first reaction to something like that would be to fork the engine and remove the scripting capability from that fork, and distribute that. He works with Bohemia Interactive, so he most certainly has the rights and the source for that sort of thing.
I really don't see why anyone would feel the need to ban hundreds of people, unless they were completely incapable of writing in safeguards for this sort of thing.

You could even make it simpler and have the game ignore damage that is dealt through the "wrong" types of weapons, or if they take too much damage in one hit.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

DrMelon posted:

As a developer, my first reaction to something like that would be to fork the engine and remove the scripting capability from that fork, and distribute that. He works with Bohemia Interactive, so he most certainly has the rights and the source for that sort of thing.
I really don't see why anyone would feel the need to ban hundreds of people, unless they were completely incapable of writing in safeguards for this sort of thing.

You could even make it simpler and have the game ignore damage that is dealt through the "wrong" types of weapons, or if they take too much damage in one hit.

The reason he didn't do it like that is because just because someone pays you to do something doesn't mean you're good at it.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Jesus Christ, do people not realize there are extremes between total sociopathy and Happy Hug Rainbow Time? Tweaking with spergy manchildren until they destroy their own playerbase is hilarious; he's an adult who should have known he had options outside of "nuke loving everything" and decided not to exercise them. Making children cry is (usually) not funny.

Griefing is best when the target engineers their own downfall - when they could have done any of a number of things to avoid an unpleasant situation but decided on the stupidest one. This certainly qualifies.

Also, "lol this forum is called SOMETHING AWFUL lol" is the worst defense od anything ever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Also, "lol this forum is called SOMETHING AWFUL lol" is the worst defense od anything ever.

Well, what can you expect from a place called Something Awful?

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
So everyone who ever used a script in ARMA II (whether it was cheating or not) is now banned? :downsbravo:

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Raneman posted:

So everyone who ever used a script in ARMA II (whether it was cheating or not) is now banned? :downsbravo:

Yeah, regardless of what happens afterwards, that was an amazing chain of events.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
You pretty much got the developer to destroy his entire game? That's a pretty sweet grief.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I just want to jump in and say griefing an entire mod so bad the developer essentially destroys it is a pretty amazing grief.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Man, that modder is dumb for not just removing explosives from the game in his mod instead of crying about people making nukes possible.

As for griefing kids, it's not really about making kids cry. That isn't particularly entertaining. It's about getting their household upset at them for playing games they cry about that is funny.

Like, geez, take an active interest in your kids life here, parents.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

There was only one time I ever trolled an actual child in a video game, because generally, making little kids cry isn't funny or creative. But this kid kept pestering me in TF2 about something, I don't remember, he was just generally being whiny and annoying. So I pretended I didn't speak English and oh man did that ever make him furious. He started calling me all kinds of names and eventually ragequit the server.

Hearing a foreign language in video games makes some people so mad. The best part is I didn't have to harass him or do anything that was actually mean. I just babbled in broken Russian until he went away.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I can see how you'd think that considering you're literally retarded. How anyone can spend seven years on a forum and not understand it is beyond me.

Perhaps you'd fit in better at reddit? I mean you're well on your way to being a predditor anyways, might as well make the jump.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Edit: Don't want to contribute to the lovely derail.

I was actually interested in trying out DayZ but never enough to buy ARMA2. Shame to hear it's run by an over reactive idiot.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 16, 2012

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but people screaming homophobic slurs and other abuse in broken English makes me giggle.

"One day I find your mother slut and I rape her."
"Motherfucker human being bitch!"

I lost it at the kid "There is no queen of Australia you loving twat"

Edit: Slamscooty, you are my hero. I thought your choice of song worked well for the video.

marijuanamancer fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 16, 2012

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

decrypt key posted:

I lost it at the kid "There is no queen of Australia you loving twat"
It's kind of sad when people don't even know the history of their country.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
I would advise you to drop the griefing kids derail unless you want to hop into the probation pool with the near entire page of people that are about to be stuck in there.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkb91iNn068

From one of the old COD threads.

Brush your teeth.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DrMelon posted:

You're right. The best thing to do is to patch it out and carry on. Especially since it's a beta. Your users are supposed to be finding bugs. You don't ban them for being good at it, even if they don't go about reporting it in the way that you like.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
Apparently I should be killed IRL.
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12848

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

This is awesome. Hey DayZMod forum people reading this: You totally deserved it you jerks :v:

Oh yeah, I like the Meatball Marinara sandwich with that Sweet Onion sauce and some veggies (Gotta eat healthy). Subway makes pretty bad sandwiches, though, so I don't eat there often. That's one less thing you have to find out about me!

Cowman fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 16, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Its beautiful.

quote:

SA members by the thousand are idly standing by while their compatriots are destroying this game. Cheering it one like so many germans saluting Hitler.
Good work HITLER.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 16, 2012

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Oh my god they're all so serious :allears:

You know you DayZ guys can register and argue your case right here?

quote:

SA members by the thousand are idly standing by while their compatriots are destroying this game. Cheering it one like so many germans saluting Hitler.

If they're not to blame, then they need to take action.

Ahahaha he's comparing every SA member to nazis because we're not all up in arms that one guy messed with people in a videogame. The lack of perspective is staggering.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Christ, that thread's already Godwinned. Slamscooty, you are my hero.

Category Fun! posted:

Oh my god they're all so serious :allears:

You know you DayZ guys can register and argue your case right here?
Yeah, but then they'd need to buy plat and archives or else they couldn't post in here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm going to kill myself at 16? :( I'm already 8 years too late.

I don't understand the hate for goons. Goons aren't the scourge of the online gaming world. The only people I enjoy playing games online with are goons and personal friends. I think these people are jealous that there's no readily available group for them to play video games. Also, they probably smell like poop, and don't know what boobs are or whatever.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Stuntman posted:

Christ, that thread's already Godwinned. Slamscooty, you are my hero.

Yeah, but then they'd need to buy plat and archives or else they couldn't post in here.

Post in here? They'd need to put their thread in FYAD if they wanted to do any damage. Once FYAD finds out about our videogame trolling it's curtains!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Category Fun! posted:

Post in here? They'd need to put their thread in FYAD if they wanted to do any damage. Once FYAD finds out about our videogame trolling it's curtains!!!

Please don't give them any ideas, I can't afford to be banned for griefing people on the internet again. These logarithmic unbanning fees are killer.

Also: My name is James Doohan
123 Fake St.
San Francisco, CA 94589
Ph: 419-867-5309
High School report card: I got a D in chemistry
Favorite Subway Sandwich: Italian BMT.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 16, 2012

Mantrain
Sep 11, 2001

I find it rather ironic that the developer of Day Z adds hilarious witty patch notes such as "Your tears are delicious" while a month later spills some of his own in such a comical fashion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cojawfee posted:

I'm going to kill myself at 16? :( I'm already 8 years too late.

I don't understand the hate for goons. Goons aren't the scourge of the online gaming world. The only people I enjoy playing games online with are goons and personal friends. I think these people are jealous that there's no readily available group for them to play video games. Also, they probably smell like poop, and don't know what boobs are or whatever.

Check out the Mechwarrior Online forums. Somehow Goons have griefed the playerbase before the thing's even available to play.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Good to know I'm a Nazi because I blame grown men for throwing temper tantrums. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just wanted to point out that the bans that were handed out were actually BattlEye bans, so now anyone who has ever run a script in the DayZ mod is also CD-key banned from playing base multiplayer ArmA 2 or any variations on it, not just DayZ.

I like how whenever some gameplay feature is lovely and broken he says "it's an alpha and you paid nothing for it, stop being a carebear" but when it's the same lovely coding allowing griefers to erase HOURS of gameplay and temporarily make people mad suddenly it's the most important thing in the world.

You can go on for hours about the ways he's rapidly self-destructing his own creation but it's more fun to just watch it happen, because it just gets better and better :allears:

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Sagebrush posted:

Just wanted to point out that the bans that were handed out were actually BattlEye bans, so now anyone who has ever run a script in the DayZ mod is also CD-key banned from playing base multiplayer ArmA 2 or any variations on it.
How does rocket have the authority/access to do that? The battleye guys just said "woah you're a mod developer? ok sure we'll ban thousands of people for you"?

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

How does rocket have the authority/access to do that? The battleye guys just said "woah you're a mod developer? ok sure we'll ban thousands of people for you"?

He was a contractor for ARMA 3 so he had a bit of influence at BIS I guess, and then pushed for them to ban everybody because he couldn't handle the griefing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Infinite Monkeys posted:

He works for Bohemia Interactive, and the fact that you need ArmA2 to play DayZ has shot their niche-market spergy military sim up to the very top of the Steam best-sellers list. They're probably okay with doing him some little favors in exchange, but if they don't get a team of actual developers working on the mod and make him quit posting these temper tantrums all over the internet the whole thing is just going to collapse spectacularly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sounds like the best case scenario for these people is to buy this mod, hire this guy, and then quietly shove him out of the picture.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't think anybody's going to top "I killed an entire game".

Not like this is the first time it's happened. (admittedly this was indirectly though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
That whole DayZ grief is barely even a grief. I can't sort out the exact details, but at worst even if Cowman wrote the script and then spread it all over 4chan he's not the one that forced anyone to use the script and he's not the one to ban everyone for using a script and he's certainly not the one threatening to stop development after the fallout. I mean making exploits to developers glaringly obvious is just a nice way to get the exploits patched out quickly. That mass-banning was a huge overreaction by what sounds like a ego-maniacal controlfreak.

I'm one of the suckers who bought ARMA II purely because of DayZ. I can't even enjoy it because the engine and netcode is so lovely I get stuck in a constant lagspike anytime any other player is remotely near me. Anything done to show the developers how bad the engine is welcomed to me, it just encourages more patching. That's all that should've come out of this. A patch to fix the holes and a cheeky wag of the finger. Anything else is onus on the developer.

• Locked thread