Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vagabundo posted:

More Olympus Has Fallen. Morgan Freeman will stare you down until you watch this movie.

Was really disappointed that this had nothing to do with Greek Mythology, then again seeing what Hollywood has done to adapting Greek Mythology, which imo should be relatively easy, I should be glad.

DNS posted:

I'm not a fan (CD's own Fag Boy Jim is a die-hard NASCAR fan, perhaps he can chime in), but it's mainly a personality driven sport in terms of fan appeal. If you're a Dale Jr. die-hard, you're tuning in to see him compete; or tuning in to root against Kurt Busch. Aside from that, it's just a part of the fabric of life in rural America - and part of the heritage of the rural south. You grow up steeped in the lore, and everyone in your family has an opinion on this rivalry or that one - the rivalries themselves, between teams and between drivers, are often tangled in a familial way.
Just like the Romans and their Chariot races where people would really get into cheering their favorite color-coded chariot teams.

Meltathon posted:

But I love baseball, and I love baseball movies, so maybe it's just me.
I used to love baseball, but when I was 10 I realized that the Pirates had not won a season since I was barely a year old. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kiimo posted:

And Victory. Motherfuckin Pelé.

I like how Michael Caine and Pele are a pair of freaky-armed mutants on that poster.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

achillesforever6 posted:

Just like the Romans and their Chariot races where people would really get into cheering their favorite color-coded chariot teams.

I hate this analogy. It's such a :smug: reply to car racing. Chariot racing fans burned down half of Constantinople because their team lost. That poo poo doesn't happen in NASCAR racing, it happens after hockey games.

edit: And Baseball, and Soccer, and Football

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

kiimo posted:

And Victory. Motherfuckin Pelé.

I don't see a sun god

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kiimo posted:

Everybody forgets Vision Quest.

It looks like someone took a young Tim Robbins and Nathan Fillion and microwaved them together behind a soft filter.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

I don't see a sun god

I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erQdTUdeABI

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

It looks like someone took a young Tim Robbins and Nathan Fillion and microwaved them together behind a soft filter.

I'm seeing a young Aaron Eckhart, before his chin started undergoing mitosis.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm old so I remember all these movies! :corsair:

Rollerball was fantastic and had a great poster. Anti-hero, dystopia, wacky european office buildings and a bit of the old ultra-violence. All the necessary ingredients.

EDIT: If you haven't seen Rollerball they used BMW's headquarters which looked pretty drat cool for 1975.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ice-T - now available in white!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

Ice-T - now available in white!

Unless this is a "Ice-T as Gary Busey" joke you are really bad at this.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Peanut President posted:

I hate this analogy. It's such a :smug: reply to car racing. Chariot racing fans burned down half of Constantinople because their team lost. That poo poo doesn't happen in NASCAR racing, it happens after hockey games.

edit: And Baseball, and Soccer, and Football
I didn't mean to be smug that's just the thing that popped up in my head :shrug:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm old so I remember all these movies! :corsair:

Rollerball was fantastic and had a great poster. Anti-hero, dystopia, wacky european office buildings and a bit of the old ultra-violence. All the necessary ingredients.

EDIT: If you haven't seen Rollerball they used BMW's headquarters which looked pretty drat cool for 1975.

I still need to watch that film. All I know about it is that motorball arc in Battle Angel Alita was based on it.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I didn't mean to be smug that's just the thing that popped up in my head :shrug:

I found his reaction to your post hilarious because your name and entire post just scream to me that you're a Green/Roman history buff and you're just throwing out examples out of the stuff you sperg about. :shobon:

Hockey has a weird thing going on in Canadian culture too. It's either one of two things, the typical boy-follows-his-dreams story or it's violent as all hell, and that's a really weird combination if you ask me. People inspiring their kids to get into hockey and make it big while it's known for its aggressiveness and fights.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

That list is missing the best sports film, Space Jam.

Space Jam had the funniest joke that I did not get as a kid. Bill Murray coming out and then the alien boss going "Whoa whoa whoa! I didn't know Dan Akroyd was in this picture!"

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Vagabundo posted:

More Olympus Has Fallen. Morgan Freeman will stare you down until you watch this movie.

Morgan Freeman doesn't have wrinkles anymore :monocle:

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Close the thread. Kiimo will never top this.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

achillesforever6 posted:

Sorry, I've just seen so many people comparing roman decadence and american decadence via NASCAR and MMA that it's just automatic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is what I thought when seeing the Jackie Robinson poster.

Bond doesn't like it when you try to steal the same base as him.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Lobok posted:

This is what I thought when seeing the Jackie Robinson poster.

Bond doesn't like it when you try to steal the same base as him.

Both in front of numbers. And 42 is totally divisible by 7. The color scheme even matches :aaaaa:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Daniel Craig's about to shoot his dick off

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I like to play the game where you watch a Morgan Freeman movie and look for the ways the director disguises Freeman's crippled left hand.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mister Chief posted:

Geez, you really wouldn't like Django Unchained then.

I thought the Django trailer just had James Brown, the hardest working man in show business?

You guys also forgot the Red Tails trailer. If trailers are going to keep using rap to attract teens, use somethin good, like Biggie.

Edit: /\ Oh gently caress, is that true? Now I'm always going to be looking at his hands

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

effectual posted:

I thought the Django trailer just had James Brown, the hardest working man in show business?

You guys also forgot the Red Tails trailer. If trailers are going to keep using rap to attract teens, use somethin good, like Biggie.

One of the trailer featured a song by Rick Ross: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5sks1-EGfw

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'd probably buy this Bryan Lee O'Malley Battle Royale poster

If you want it you just have to pre-sell enough tickets and then hope that Tugg comes to your city and has enough posters!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

If you want it you just have to pre-sell enough tickets and then hope that Tugg comes to your city and has enough posters!

There are so many things I like about that poster, I really can't decide my favorite part. I want that poster so much.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There is also a varaint with Japanese text which will only be sold at the first screening in Austin.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I like it even though it pretty much gives away every single thing in the movie all at the same time.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Whadya know... a good fan poster. Plus, it makes sense in the context of the movie with Takeshi Kitano's painting being unveiled at the end.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Wow, I love that. I like the novel way more than I like the movie though...maybe I could turn a copy of it into a dusk jacket

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Haven't even seen the movie and I want that poster.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Lobok posted:

Haven't even seen the movie and I want that poster.

You need to remedy that. It's a fantastic movie.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

a kitten posted:

Wow, I love that. I like the novel way more than I like the movie though...maybe I could turn a copy of it into a dusk jacket

You'd need to add a mullet to Takeshi Kitano.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

Here's the only sports movie you need:

If you ever wanted to see a movie in which Joan Chen bites a man's ear off, then this is the movie for you!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have no clue what to think about this poster.

I swear there's something wrong with that cat (besides the fact that the cat in the film doesn't look like that as far as I can tell).

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

My first thought was that he looked like Eric Roberts. :staredog:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What is going on in those credits? Did they just use the titles of other random things as placeholder copy or what?

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

"Hey, remember these guys from these shows/films? They're still getting work!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The trailer has to be seen to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX76Y8bP8u0