Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Uh-oh. LOST has a Critical Hit/Critical Fail table.

Actually it has one each for Hit and Evasion checks.

(Though to be fair, 2D6 gives you half the probability of a Crit/Crit Fail compared to a D20)

It also has 1D3 rolls, which gave me pause until my brain started working and I realized that’s just 1D6/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A fight goes south, you realise you need to cut your losses and skedaddle. Tell me about games which do this gracefully.

Spoiler alert: WFRP3E/EotE do this a bit gracefully.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In Fate if you concede that you have lost a fight before the dice up and tell you so, you get to dictate the how and why of it, allowing for any number of ways to extricate your characters from such a situation. Honestly really like that mechanic a lot.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Unbound has you set stakes before combat, and either side can choose to cut their losses and run if they're willing to let the other side get what they wanted.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
konosuba is burning horseshit, namaste

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Strike! is similar to Unbound. PCs pick an objective at the onset of a fight, which can be anything from reaching a square in n turns or donnybrooking all the enemies into the ground. If your team cuts and runs, you just don't get the objective. If your team was doing really bad in the fight and earned enough strikes before running, the GM can start asking for concessions, which can be anything from leaving behind ammo to being caught and dropped in jail. Of course, concessions are meant to be used to complicate the story, not screw over the PCs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/gyjjy3/the-story-behind-the-street-fighter-rpg-you-never-heard-of

quote:

Street Fighter upended expectations of what roleplaying game combat looked like in White Wolf's unifying Storytelling system, and in tabletop RPGs at large. It was weird and unexpected.

And it was amazing.

:laffo:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Splicer posted:

A fight goes south, you realise you need to cut your losses and skedaddle. Tell me about games which do this gracefully.

Smuggler lyfe friend. Also I found a Edge of the Empire houserule that I thought was kinda brilliant. You spent a light side point and take a critical hit or lose a piece of equipment (GM and player discuss which what is lost, usually a weapon or important item) to escape from a scene. Put that in all RPGs

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dude the SF RPG was cool as hell and it's still super popular here

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ww's sf rpg is better than any video game with the 'street fighter' title in it released in the last 10 years

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Street Fighter is unfairly overlooked, not least by the people who worked on it. It made a lot of mistakes, but also introduced some elements that I wish had been incorporated back into the WoD games. I can't really compare it to other wargames or wargame/RPG hybrids, because I've never gotten into those.

If the writer is giving any aspect of Street Fighter too much credit, it's the worldbuilding. When people talk about the game they often meant how totally monkey cheese cray-cray the setting is. It's really just what you'd get if you mashed a bunch of 80s/90s martial arts movies together--like, Shadoloo is an international mafia, that wants to conquer the world with crime, and they care a lot about petty racketeering and underground fighting tournaments--all extremely early 90s martial arts movie stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

ww's sf rpg is better than any video game with the 'street fighter' title in it released in the last 10 years

Third Strike is from 99

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brother Entropy posted:

At least there's still tekken

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Take WW Streets, mix it with MHR, and create Marvel vs Capcom

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mongoose Publishing posted:

I have just had a phone call with a nice lady who took the time and effort to go through the book and then call me to explain why she had issues with it. Consequently, I have just removed this book, along with other titles such as Sex, Dice and Gamer Chicks, Nymphology, and the Quitenssential Temptress from both our web site and Drivethru. There are no printed copies of these titles in our warehouse, and you will never see them again.

I think I have got all titles of this nature that were lurking in the depths of our back catalogue but if any of you do see any more, please let me know.

Thank you to everyone who took the time and trouble over this issue, it was very useful. You made good points and we agree these titles should not be represented by us.

I mean, good, loving finally, but "Woops, while shedding our regressive views, we somehow completely forgot about these books that keep coming up during gaming controversies" is pretty laughable.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Splicer posted:

http://www.13thagesrd.com/combat-rules/#Flee posted:

Fleeing is a party action. On any PC’s turn, any player can propose that all the characters flee the fight. If all players agree, they successfully retreat, carrying any fallen heroes away with them. The party suffers a campaign loss. The point of this rule is to encourage daring attacks and to make retreating interesting on the level of story rather than tactics.

I used basically this in 4e too, but it wasn't written down there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

That Old Tree posted:

I mean, good, loving finally, but "Woops, while shedding our regressive views, we somehow completely forgot about these books that keep coming up during gaming controversies" is pretty laughable.

I thought Mongoose had already decided to pull those titles when the whole thing with Desborough blew up some five-odd years ago, was that not the case or am I thinking of something else?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think they just said they wouldn't hire him for anything else.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

EDIT: ^^^ fukin EFB

Kai Tave posted:

I thought Mongoose had already decided to pull those titles when the whole thing with Desborough blew up some five-odd years ago, was that not the case or am I thinking of something else?

I think that was over some project he might do with them/publish through them, and after it blew up they said they wouldn't work with him anymore.

EDIT 2: And that was some pretty weak sauce, too, because it's again a bit laughable for them to act shocked that a guy whose Twitter timeline is 50% "fat dyed-hair video game whores are destroying ~Western Civilisation~" wasn't exactly well-loved, and they only seriously pulled back from him when they got enough heat over it.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 2, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nymphology is a joke name Geralt would make while he bones a nymph or something

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

Looks like they pulled the Slayer's Guide to Female Gamers as well, of course. Still kind of amazed somebody thought that was an idea worth greenlighting.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

What's the source link and what was the title of that book initially mentioned as removed but not directly named?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Foglet posted:

What's the source link and what was the title of that book initially mentioned as removed but not directly named?

Mongoose Publishing's Facebook page, under their announcement about a mentorship program for women. Someone brought up "Hey you're still selling these lovely books, why do I want to work for you?" Their initial response wasn't great, but they were convinced by some unnamed third party in a phone call apparently. I couldn't figure out how to satisfactorily link the comment.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Plutonis posted:

There's an entire genre that has a trillion books that were adapted to anime and manga about dying and resurrecting on a fantasy world or videogame and in several of them the protagonist knows all about the meta of the game or is aware of the RPG-ish rules that the world follows and even if he's a slime or a goblin or weakling he becomes an OP fuckhead megagod by exploiting the setting rules. Those are all bad (except for Konosuba and Overlord)

Isekai. I did an ungodly amount of digging into the genre while trying to cook up a GAG expansion.

One Everyguy power was the best I could squeeze out of it.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Looks like they pulled the Slayer's Guide to Female Gamers as well, of course.

Yeah, that was the one initially discussed in Facebook comments.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It's really just what you'd get if you mashed a bunch of 80s/90s martial arts movies together--like, Shadoloo is an international mafia, that wants to conquer the world with crime, and they care a lot about petty racketeering and underground fighting tournaments--all extremely early 90s martial arts movie stuff.
And that's much better than the psycho power and dolls stuff, too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The cross-section of what Shadoloo's base looked like has really stuck with me even all these years later.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with Psycho Power.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The System Mastery episode for Street Fighter made the combat system, particularly the initiative system, sound pretty interesting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pope Guilty posted:

The System Mastery episode for Street Fighter made the combat system, particularly the initiative system, sound pretty interesting.

My friend made his own homebrew martial arts rpg from it. It's now very different, but kept the initiative system somewhat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What notable thing has Mongoose published recently, anyway?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Paranoia?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

potatocubed posted:

Unbound has you set stakes before combat, and either side can choose to cut their losses and run if they're willing to let the other side get what they wanted.

This is the first I'd heard of Unbound, and you caused me to stay up past midnight reading the rules.

I really like Unbound. Especially the mind map style combat system. Seems a nice way to add some tactical positioning without going full square grid.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

They're pretty much carrying the torch for Traveller.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

They published a Lone Wolf RPG, but Joe Dever has been shopping that license around, and I’m guessing the Cubicle 7 version will be a bit better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Tonally, at least, SF is way less gonzo than some bad turn-of-the-decade martial arts movies like The Miami Connection and American Samurai. The "default" SF campaign is one in which participating in underground fighting tournaments leads to you investigating drug-smugglers, or vice versa. It goes back to those 70s movies that took James Bond or a hard-boiled cop movie and added karate, like Enter the Dragon and The Image of Bruce Lee.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Meanwhile in the most recent game storyline M. Bison built a series of Death Stars

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, I wouldn't overstate the quality of the Street Fighter Storytelling Game. Mostly it's that it had such a bad reputation and had something of a rediscovery. The combat system was pretty innovative for its time and is more balanced than you'd expect (ignoring the expansion material for the most part, anyway), but it still has a lot of issues; some traits are still just better than others and it's very easy to make a subpar character, for example. It also just bogs down a lot when you start putting together larger fights. However, the fighting move system kind of presages the whole feat / power design style that would come to dominate RPG design in the 00's, and the simultaneous resolution made it a lot more tactically interesting than just about any game of its time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In particular, SF presaged Vampire adding cross-Discipline powers. I forget what they're called.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

In particular, SF presaged Vampire adding cross-Discipline powers. I forget what they're called.

Those actually appeared in Clanbook: Brujah about two years beforehand, actually, though they were badly implemented (in that I think there weren't any actual XP costs or advancement mechanics to get them, then just required you to beg an elder to teach one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Isekai. I did an ungodly amount of digging into the genre while trying to cook up a GAG expansion.

One Everyguy power was the best I could squeeze out of it.

It's come to America as LitRPG, manly self-published to Amazon.

• Locked thread