Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Tbh I do like how simple it is and how it avoids the whole skill stacking chore (like rolling 2d6+3+2+4+whatever). I'd actually say a table of sample stuff for difficulty checks would help with that.

Yeah I mean if the players and GM are on the same page it’s great and opens up some really creative RP opportunities. I’m just worried about how easy it would be for a GM to be a dick about it. Then again I guess a dick GM will be a dick regardless of the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I've been fiddling with an alternate Marvel Universe that is heavily different from real world history after a certain point(the first big divergence is "What If Atlantis, Latveria, and Wakanda all entered WW2 as part of The Allies" for example)
I'm 100% cool with creating superhero universes where things do change because of the superpowers and the aliens and magic being real and all that, it's just that publishers keep things very close to the baseline for very obvious reasons. When they do play with, it's usually marked NOT CONTINUITY in big, bold letters and becomes a Marvel What If or a DC Elseworlds.

Superpowers actually changing the world sounds like an excellent premise for an RPG campaign.

My favorite example of a superhero universe not changing was the Batman line in the late 1990s, where an over-abundance of Major Crossover Events led to the typical resident of Gotham City having been subjected, over the course of about two years, to:
- The usual number of weird villain crimes and serial killers and terrorist events that Batman has to deal with on a month-by-month basis
- Two separate massive outbreaks of Ebola (Contagion, Legacy)
- A live nuke nearly being detonated in the city
- Time portals opening up and scrambling things and erasing buildings and people from the timeline (Zero Hour)
- Being completely overrun by demons and the walking dead (Underworld Unleashed, Day of Judgement)
- Having the sun disappear and the planet almost entirely freeze solid (Final Night)
- A major earthquake that turned the city into an isolated, abandoned, gang-run ruin called No Man's Land
... and then the city was rebuilt and everybody went on with life as it was before (and not, you know, completely paralyzed from PTSD)

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Getsuya posted:

The Saikoro Fiction rolling mechanic is really nice but I can just picture some rear end in a top hat GM ruining it. The main concept is that every action skill is on a grid, and roll difficulty is determined by the number of slots between the target action and an action your character is trained in. If you have that skill the difficulty is 5 on a 2D6. Then for each slot between your skill and the target skill you add 1 to the difficulty.

Which is fine, but most of the games suggest enforcing an RP element. The player has to justify how the action they do have could resolve a check for another action. So the required action is climb but the closest action the player has is run. Some GMs may go ‘oh sure you run up the wall, that makes for a cool scene!’ while another may say ‘lol this isn’t the Matrix, guess you’re screwed and can’t even roll for this check. Bad luck.’
On the one hand that GM doesn't have any business running a game like Shinobigami, but on the other hand they'd be a problem with Fate, PDQ, Wushu, etc. too.

Arivia posted:

Can we call this like devsplaining or something? Ewen was the translator on GSS, I'm pretty sure.
Yep! And I haven't quite made more GSS character types than the original designer, but I'm getting there.

And one of my too-many projects is a system that's a weird hybrid of GSS and PbtA that I'm calling "Powered by Dreams," which is what I'd probably use for the friendly superheroes game if I ever get around to it. (I even bought a bunch of little wooden lightning bolt tokens on the off-chance that I might use them for that.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Can we call this like devsplaining or something? Ewen was the translator on GSS, I'm pretty sure.
I don't think it's quite the same thing, first off mansplaining is when this is a joke post but I had you going for a minute there.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

During the Secret Empire garbage she and her friends were saving the Savage Land, which had partially become a dinosaur theme park, complete with a gift shop. The way they were geeking out about dinosaurs was the best.

At some point I want to make an RPG about superheroes who mainly help people and redeem villains.

You might be looking for Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple. I don't own it, but you play a Pilgrim who can fly from the, wait for it, Flying Temple. And you fly out into the world to do good things for people! But you're also a bit inept and a klutz, but you mean well!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Comics!? Boy, oh boy!

Zoro posted:

Edit: also, Thor respects women and is not a dude bro so you shouldn't view him as a symbol of that. As far as he is concerned, everyone matters, everyone who treat others fairly is worthy of respect, and he believes in many kinds of strengths, like how he was amazed at Jane Foster's ability to accept cancer but still fight it. There is a reason he is worthy of the hammer and the big reason is that he is a good person.

I'm talking about how jerks view him based on superficial notions, not my personal views. Simonson's run is crazy progressive for its time in parts of how the Thor / Sif interactions go (and less so with Lorelei, but you can't have everything, I suppose).

occamsnailfile posted:

I'd also suggest that one reason people don't mind Laura so much is that the Logan movie made her cool, much in the way that the Iron Man movies made Iron Man cool.

Also she's just been a long series of frankly, shockingly good comics compared to where the character started from. The X-23 mini was good, the second X-23 mini was good, the X-23 ongoing was good, and... well, she was one of the brighter points of New X-Men or X-Force, at least. She got to get built up for a long time before taking the role and a lot of the backlash over her being a teen girl wolverine got burnt out years ago. I mean, it was there, a lot of people complained up and down about her... much like a lot of the 70s-era backlash about Wolverine being some mean jerk that gives Cyclops a lot of poo poo for no good reason and is a jerk to everybody, why is he on the X-Men again? (Seriously, reading early Uncanny X-Men letter columns is hilarious in retrospect.)

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the post-"Ultimate Marvel" Ultimates (the team run by Carol Davners), Galactus actually stops being the big purple planet-eater and becomes an avatar of life...who then has to fight some of the other cosmic entities who want him to turn back into the Devourer of Worlds because that's who he's always been.

He did manage to fight back, but I think he's back to being "classic" Galactus because god forbid comics have major changes.

Yeah, the recent Ultimates series are a treasure (at least, when they're weren't being derailed by crossover events...). I don't think Galactus has changed back - in fact, Al Ewing commented that the original plan was to change Galactus back all along but decided the new take was too interesting to just discard. I expect Galactus the Lifebringer to get undone at some point, but I'd be happy if they kick that can back as far as they can. In general just about everything Al Ewing has been going on the line has been real good or at least real interesting.

Ultimately I think why you don't have world-changing stuff in comics is just because that's not what those stories are about, and I think trying to go into gyrations to explain superhero universes logically is a mistake unless you're real, real clever. Mind, if you want superhumans-as-speculative-sci-fi, that's perfectly cool, that's something different. And not to say the two things can't touch, but it's the kind of thing you want for a compelling story, not to just to try and prove how you're more clever than Jack Kirby or Jerry Robinson or whoever. Of course, the TVtropes attitude is at its worst with the modern genre-aware protagonist who exists just to act as an author insert of "Gosh if I was in X I would be wayyy smarter and do things right all the time because everybody in genre fiction are a bunch of big dumb idiots." Japanese genre fiction is pretty much become ridden with a lot of this it's just... astonishingly lazy writing. Which is weird to think about, because I love stuff that pokes at the fourth wall but... you know, out of love, not just to be smugly faux-deconstructionist.

Man, comics. I need to write a good superhero system. Not the biggest fan of any right now except for Masks, and Masks is pretty limited.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I am reminded I really should dig out my notes for an LOSH hack for Masks and figure out what else is needs since it doesn't entirely handle it well out of the box and that's like...one of the quintessential "Teen Team" books that are theoretically it's wheelhouse.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

quote:

Japanese genre fiction is pretty much become ridden with a lot of this it's just... astonishingly lazy writing. Which is weird to think about, because I love stuff that pokes at the fourth wall but... you know, out of love, not just to be smugly faux-deconstructionist.

Do tell.

quote:

Man, comics. I need to write a good superhero system. Not the biggest fan of any right now except for Masks, and Masks is pretty limited.

Do it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Light Novels are 99% absolute trash but you really really really shouldn't use them as your norm for their fiction, ARB.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Plutonis posted:

Light Novels are 99% absolute trash but you really really really shouldn't use them as your norm for their fiction, ARB.

Just read Hunter x Hunter, Boku no hero Academia, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. You'll be happier that way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zoro posted:

Do tell.

There's an entire genre that has a trillion books that were adapted to anime and manga about dying and resurrecting on a fantasy world or videogame and in several of them the protagonist knows all about the meta of the game or is aware of the RPG-ish rules that the world follows and even if he's a slime or a goblin or weakling he becomes an OP fuckhead megagod by exploiting the setting rules. Those are all bad (except for Konosuba and Overlord)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoro posted:

Just read Hunter x Hunter, Boku no hero Academia, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. You'll be happier that way.

how did you leave One Piece off of the list of good shounen

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Countblanc posted:

how did you leave One Piece off of the list of good shounen

One piece is good, but it's a lot to ask someone to get into.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Plutonis posted:

There's an entire genre that has a trillion books that were adapted to anime and manga about dying and resurrecting on a fantasy world or videogame and in several of them the protagonist knows all about the meta of the game or is aware of the RPG-ish rules that the world follows and even if he's a slime or a goblin or weakling he becomes an OP fuckhead megagod by exploiting the setting rules. Those are all bad (except for Konosuba and Overlord)

I read some manga like that. They were all terrible.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

drrockso20 posted:

Also I want to like Squirrel Girl's book, but the art in it is pretty much the worst of any ongoing book they publish that doesn't involve Greg Land

It's bright and colorful and cartoony. I really like it, but I find most modern cape comics ugly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Plutonis posted:

They aren't the norm, true.

Not yet, anyway. :ohdear:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
This is America.

Light novels don't exist here.

Doki doki horror club!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pope Guilty posted:

It's bright and colorful and cartoony. I really like it, but I find most modern cape comics ugly.

The problem is that Erica Henderson sucks at drawing faces

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Today I finally finished a massive chunk of the LOST TRPG translation, which covers all of the character creation stuff. Included are all the items as well as character classes and abilities. Take a look if you're interested. I think with this I may be almost halfway done. It was seriously a huge portion of the rules.

https://ancientscars.wordpress.com/project-1-lost-trpg/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Plutonis posted:

Praise the Orc! has a different take on that and is also pretty dang good for the first half.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Squirrel Girl is great and the art is great; I am sorry that the vagaries of human taste prevent some people from fully experiencing the joy it brings me.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Squirrel Girl is great and the art is great; I am sorry that the vagaries of human taste prevent some people from fully experiencing the joy it brings me.

I should check out the novel. Have you read it?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Superman changed the world!

https://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2305

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Getsuya posted:

I should check out the novel. Have you read it?

I didn't even know there was one.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I didn't even know there was one.

https://www.amazon.com/Unbeatable-Squirrel-Girl-Meets-World/dp/1484781546

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Someone with better grasp on the history of it can tell it better, but he literally did; there was a period of time where the KKK was on a downswing in the US literally because Superman fought them, or so I've heard.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Someone with better grasp on the history of it can tell it better, but he literally did; there was a period of time where the KKK was on a downswing in the US literally because Superman fought them, or so I've heard.

https://youtu.be/LUOODp8PQac

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

drrockso20 posted:

The problem is that Erica Henderson sucks at drawing faces

An industry in which Steve Dillon is fondly remembered is one in which this complaint is bizarre.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

:siren: New blogpost is up, for "The Next Project"

I've been working on crunching out some new mechanics, just to give myself a few more tools in the toolbox when I go to tune up classes for the next draft of the rules.
Some discussion on the math, and design direction pertaining to that stuff is today's topic; if anyone can critique what's there, or would like some more specifics, ask me here or in a PM :)
I'm also on discord: pd0t:1282

I didn't want this to get lost in the churn, and I wanted to shout out that I'm still keeping tabs on this project. Your dedication is exemplary, p.d0t.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Superman infiltrated a thinly veiled (like, "this is obviously the Klan but the Klan can't sue us" thin) version of the KKK and revealed all their goofy-rear end mystery, which basically just made it The Racist Clubs for Racist Guys.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/23157/how-superman-defeated-ku-klux-klan

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The Drunk History episode on this is, as usual, hilarious.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, many of you know that my daughter has cancer. She's been getting treatment at SickKids hospital here in Toronto. For the month of November, all of the money I get from Strike! and its expansions will go to SickKids Foundation to help the hospital and the children there. If you haven't checked out Strike! yet, go take a look. If you do decide to buy, you not only get a cool game, but all of the money goes to a good cause.

Details here.

And please share the link around so it reaches more people.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Done jimbozig, hope it helps

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Actually the brightest spot of New X-Men was Rockslide, the best character

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Actually the brightest spot of New X-Men was Rockslide, the best character

I said "one of".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I said "one of".

Oh I misread.

And also really just like Rockslide.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Konosuba may be good in Japanese (I wouldn't know), but the English subtitles are really bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

An industry in which Steve Dillon is fondly remembered is one in which this complaint is bizarre.
Hey, Steve Dillon was very good at drawing his face. Lord knows he got enough practice.

e: Steve Dillon was the Fighter of the comics art world: he did one thing and it wasn't very effective but by God he could do it all day.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 1, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Konosuba may be good in Japanese (I wouldn't know), but the English subtitles are really bad.

Terrible!!! Opinions!!!

e: I sent the Strike Link to some people I was reccing the system, hope that helps. Jimbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Destiny 2's plot is incredibly dumb but it's making me want to run a game where the PCs start off as powerful veterans in charge of various organisations before some tragedy strikes and they have to get the band back together to beat the BBEG.

The twist is that in order to get players invested in the setting, they're explicitly meant to make an expy of their favourite/best/coolest/etc. character from a previous game they've played and treat that character's exploits as the in-setting justification for why the PC is a big deal at the start of the campaign.

• Locked thread