Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like the guy in Duckman who is taken for profound and wise when he's just too loving dumb and lazy to understand basic concepts or acknowledge anything outside his own basic desires and amusements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Today in the Saga of Pick, we learned that Hugh was either a) So utterly contemptuous of her that he was willing to "I don't know" his way out of every inane question and her broke brain mistook this teenager-level dismissal for depth, or b) So profoundly delayed that he honestly didn't know what a cat was, and she is that facilitated communication nutjob who went to prison for loving and emotionally abusing a wheelchair-bound retard.

NO FUCK YOU DAD fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 30, 2018

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

[24F] is trying to get me [28M]f ired! Help! How can I approach this??

Hi, thank you for reading this.

My situation it's this, I've worked in this office for 5 years. I'm always on time and have only called sick 3 times during my time here.

I work in the U.S.

I work very hard and often work overtime. I am a go-to for many staff members. I have also won many awards for my work. Then about 6 months ago, we hired a girl who is about 24-years-old.

She is completely worthless.

She has called in sick countless times. She does not like being told what to do. She does not do her job (literally will sit for hours amd do nothing). She is very rude, eats all the time and get her shared workspace dirty with grease from pizza on the computers.

I work in a hospital in orthopedics.

She fakes pain so that she does not have to get out of her chair. On the same day a different coworker told me she was walking to class laughing and smiling before work as they have the same class.

This woman has violated emtala by turning away emergency patients saying "go home and take advil". But management kept her around!

I cannot begin to express my detest of this woman and her lazyness.

She has been turned in for multiple issues. She's a simple desk clerk.

I have caught her sleeping at her desk with a blanket covering her body like a ghost costume. I took a picture of it, turned her in and "I got in trouble!"

She worked 7 hours the other day and spoke with one patient. One. We were so busy I wasn't able to sit.

She was turned in by another coworker.

Now. I am not a manager, but my boss has told me that I am the most experienced and therefor #1 in terms of ability and directing when he's not in the office and wants leadership from me.

So powerless basically to tell this woman to work.

Well, I had enough. A few days ago she was passing off her work to other people and disappeared for 2 breaks, gone almost 45 min total for a 6 hour shift.

I then told her that she needs to do her job, stop disappearing and step it up.

She ran away crying and was gone for almost 2 hours in the back office.

I had to handle the entire office For an hour alone and didn't get to take my break because of this.

My boss found out about this as my other coworkers told him before I could.

She then spun this and said I was being mean.

I should also note two things here. My boss has no backbone. And this girl is obese (not to be mean, that's part of the petition)

She has started a written petition and is asking coworkers to sign it around the office. The petition is "Has Dave ever said mean things about me when I'm around or behind my back?" Things like fat shaming, swearing, etc.

NO. I HAVEN'T. And to my knowledge 2 people have signed it.

My boss knows about this petition and has done NOTHING.

I spoke with him and he said he's compiling information and talking with his boss...

For some reason he didn't stop the petition to my knowledge. My nurses are upset with her behavior and turned her in yesterday for another event. Yelling at a coworker in front of patients.

I'm really in the dark, I explained to my boss the situation. He said just do the good job you do and this will be handled next week. I am super uncomfortable working there now as this petition has been circulating for a few days.

What the heck can I do?! Thanks for reading :)

TL;DR: girl at work is trying to get me fired, how can I approach this situation?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Please, there are plenty of Pick threads to discuss Pick-related issues. This one is to discuss other broke-brains:

My mother (52f) constantly sabotages her relationships with her boyfriends by cheating and I (18f) am sick of dealing with it.

quote:

My mother divorced my father when I was 4. She remarried when I was about 7 to my step dad who treated me and my brother like his children, we called him and my biological father dad.

We moved country and when I was 11/12 she started cheating on him. I didn't understand what was happening at the time, just that she was never home and that he slept on the floor in the spare room and was quite grumpy.

My brother moved back in with my biological father leaving me with my stepdad and mother. Since my mother was always busy my stepdad took me to work with him and took me places to eat occasionally.

Once my mother came home and my stepdad wasn't here, now that I am older it is obvious he went to a bar and had a mental breakdown, he came back and I remember my mother having him in a headlock and punching him in the face, making him sleep outside for the night.

He came outside my window at night just to tell me that everything is okay.

Then when I was 13 we went on a day trip without him and when we came back he was gone, it turns out that my mother had given him a week's notice to move out so he left on just a bike and 200 euros and he was homeless for months.

My mother constantly blames her ex partners for everything but she has been verbally and physically abusive to me in the past so I know that it isn't the partner's fault.

Then the guy she was cheating on my stepdad with moved in a week later. I hated him, he called me lazy and was abusive to my mum and she turned weak in comparison to her usual abusive self. She was still never home and always sided with him when he said something negative about me.

They broke up when I was 15, I was glad, I had my mum back for a couple of months although she was depressed.

Then she met her current boyfriend. This boyfriend is extremely nice, I lived with them for a couple of months before moving out when I was 16.

He treats my mum really good and in exchange she treats him like a piece of garbage. I honestly thought she couldn't complain about anything because he's hard working, compassionate, has money, family orientated, etc.

But now whenever I meet up with her she complains about how he gambles on his ipad (IT ISN'T EVEN REAL MONEY, I PLAY THE SAME GAME) and how she wanted £400 earrings but he said he'd buy them in September when he had saved a bit of money instead of now. She also complains about him liking his ex wife's facebook profile picture.

Reddit, I am seething. I went on her messenger (she gave me her password) to find some photos and a messaged loving popped up from a random guy. She is not cheating on him with just one guy but two.

I am so loving exhausted, she plans to steal from the current guy she is with just because she can. I don't know why I am so upset but I hate being the daughter of someone that has no morals and fucks people over like this. I'm angry at the fact that I know nothing of such an important father figure in my life because she loves attention too much.

I have no idea what to do. I see her every month for a couple of hours and I have a call with her about once/twice a week. I pity her and she is my mother so I do love her and I don't want to cease contact but I am just so upset about this.

TL;DR: How do I deal with the resent I hold for my mother for ruining my childhood and causing severe abandonment issues because of her selfishness?

Edit: thanks for the support guys! Going to sleep but will reply asap in the morning :)

mom cheats, so what

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bogus Adventure posted:

Please, there are plenty of Pick threads to discuss Pick-related issues. This one is to discuss other broke-brains:

My mother (52f) constantly sabotages her relationships with her boyfriends by cheating and I (18f) am sick of dealing with it.

mom cheats, so what

quote:

I pity her and she is my mother so I do love her and I don't want to cease contact but I am just so upset about this.

Don't pity her and don't love her. She deserves to die cold and alone, but she will never know why. :sever: and ever look back.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

HIJK posted:

I'd say it's more 70% but I am still baffled and enraged that anyone would think she did something wrong

from what I read even the comments that think she did something "wrong" were mostly chastising the parents for not handling the situation right in the first place. Public sexual shaming isn't really an appropriate response to a 12 year old but she should have never felt so singled out that she went for the one option she had available to actually make him face consequences. Considering her followups that this is a common issue wrt to parenting with him and that her parents are literally allowing him to taunt her over getting grounded while they brushed off what he did no one should really blame her for going with the nuclear option.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spoiled children turn into absolute loving monsters with no sense of consequences or boundaries. And usually end up complete failures in life as a result.

IIRC there's quite a few examples of the Golden Child ending up a disgusting basement-dweller while the neglected children fly the coop and become successful on their own terms with no support.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Earlier today someone gave Pick an avatar of a truck that's only famous because it doesn't have anything under it. I just wanted to mention the specific thing that's not under that truck is an adorable endangered cat. :3: Help little cats become big cats.

Also, give your ten year old nieces and nephews a Squiggle Wiggle Writer for Christmas. It will help prevent incidents like the poobrush from happening.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me [40M] with my brother [43 M] He has rage issues and I can't deal with him anymore.

My (40M) oldest brother (43M) is quickly becoming a raging psycho. For the last 5 years he has had less and less control over his temper. For example, one day while he was visiting my home, he started playing with my kids. He got a little rough with my youngest son who tried to flee from him. For whatever reason he felt compelled to hold him to keep him from escaping which in turn caused my son to panic. My mother was there at the time but I was not. She told him to let go twice before she finally had to raise her voice at him. He let go then got all in her face. She told him he was out of line and that he needed to control himself. That only caused him to scream at her more (come unhinged) which caused her to tell him that he needed to seek mental help if this is the way he was going to be. He stormed out and they didn’t talk for 6 months until she wrote him an apology letter. In subsequent phone conversations he told her that the only reason she was apologizing was to make it go away, but he would accept her apology. This steamed me but I kept out of it.

He also feels compelled to make jokes at my and my family’s expense (wife & kids). They are little jabs at me and my family that I usually ignore. He finally made a comment that I wasn’t going to ignore, so the next time I saw him I told him that his comments offended me. I didn’t ask for an apology, but I wanted him to know that his comments weren’t welcome and wouldn’t be tolerated. He then looked at me and said “it was a f#cking joke”. I told him that I didn’t think it was very funny and his reply was “well how about I don’t give a f#ck”. I replied that some things don’t change and he came unglued. He got in my face and started screaming at me in the middle of my living room. I told him that I wasn’t going to have him talking to me like that and he said “what the f#ck are you going to do about it? Do you want to step outside?” At that point I told him to leave and he refused. I told him I was going to call the police and he laughed until I did start to call them. He then slapped the phone out of my hand and kicked it across the floor. By this time my family had left our home to go to our neighbors. I went to pick up the phone and he stepped on it smashing the screen while still in my face. I was beginning to panic as I had never seen him like this before. I asked him to leave again and he still refused. At that point I went to my bedroom with him in toe to get my Taser. I managed to get it out of my nightstand before he realized what it was. I turned around and lite him up, he fell to the ground and I managed to get out of the house. My wife had called the police who showed up about the time I was exiting the front door. They temporarily took bot of us in to custody until they could figure out what was going on. Needless to say, he went to jail and I didn’t.

My mother wants me to talk to him and try to reconcile, but I have no desire to do anything with him until he can get some professional help for his anger issues. Even then I’m reluctant to deal with him. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with him in the future since we will undoubtedly see each other at family events. I would rather not deal with him but I don’t know if that is an option given our family.

TL;DR My older brother is psycho but I still have to deal with him. Please help me with any suggestions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jesus H.E.V. Christ, that's what restraining orders are for. Also sever, but that's a given.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bored posted:

How about I help you find her online? It'll be like a scavenger hunt!

Here's your first clue: on her Facebook page, she often reposts inspirational messages. One of her favorites is "If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

She sounds just... super.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Haha, bro tased so what

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What's the deal with Pick and Hugh?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Power Khan posted:

Autistic girl got friend zoned and it broke her brain

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

girl who was trained by her autistic family to desperately work at earning affection got friend zoned and it broke her brain

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Power Khan posted:

The correct answer is:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Today in the Saga of Pick, we learned that Hugh was either a) So utterly contemptuous of her that he was willing to "I don't know" his way out of every inane question and her broke brain mistook this teenager-level dismissal for depth, or b) So profoundly delayed that he honestly didn't know what a cat was, and she is that facilitated communication nutjob who went to prison for loving and emotionally abusing a wheelchair-bound retard.
(c) He just didn't care about cats and had other things on his mind. I've had conversations exactly like that where I was the person who didn't know dumb crap that people's brains cling on to.

I don't know the distinction between a long hair and short hair cat. Obviously, if you show me a cat with really long hair and cat with a short hair I can probably guess unless you're trying to trick me, but I don't know where the line is drawn. I don't care to know, and I'll forget it in a few days if you tell me. I have a pretty functional short and long term memory, but I'm always deeply focused on this or that and learning new things. As a result, I don't retain a lot of simple things that I don't give any thought. Hugh could be the same way. It's easy to ignore garbage animals like cats.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 30, 2018

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Me [40M] with my brother [43 M] He has rage issues and I can't deal with him anymore.

:allbuttons:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, I'll give you this.

I still miss my tuxedo manx cat. He was awesome and probably a badass who won fights with feral cats all the time. But you gotta move on.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Power Khan posted:

Imagine, if you will, an almost inexplicably more tedious version of Ian McEwan's novel Enduring Love.

I may revise this assessment if Pick escalates to buying a gun and attempting to murder Hugh's future love interest.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Alright and thanks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

girl pants posted:

I have so many questions and they're all "what"
new thread title

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Power Khan posted:

She made up a person whole cloth and baits the thread with dumb poo poo and they fall over themselves to make sure she continues to troll the poo poo out of them. I'm pretty sure at least a part of him is from that episode of the next generation when they rescued the borg kid and named him Hugh,

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

At that point I went to my bedroom with him in toe to get my Taser. I managed to get it out of my nightstand before he realized what it was. I turned around and lite him up, he fell to the ground and I managed to get out of the house. My wife had called the police who showed up about the time I was exiting the front door. They temporarily took bot of us in to custody until they could figure out what was going on. Needless to say, he went to jail and I didn’t.

My mother wants me to talk to him and try to reconcile, but I have no desire to do anything with him until he can get some professional help for his anger issues. Even then I’m reluctant to deal with him. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with him in the future since we will undoubtedly see each other at family events. I would rather not deal with him but I don’t know if that is an option given our family.

Sorry OP, use a gun next time.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My boyfriend [18 M] keeps spending a lot of money on necklaces I [19 F] that aren't my style/I can't wear, should I say something??

quote:

I know this is basically a non-issue but I need some advice!! I love my boyfriend a lot but he gets all of my gifts from the same store that sells very old fashioned jewelry, the necklaces are like huge silver gemstone pendants made by Sarda that look like someone in the 1800s would wear. They're very pretty and I so appreciate the sentiment of course but he just gave me a second necklace from this place and I don't have the guts to say anything about how it isn't really my style because I feel so bad!! I never wear them and I know he'd definitely rather me have something I would actually wear but I have no idea whether I should say something and how I should say like, "hey I love you and I love the thought but the necklace isn't really my style, why don't we go see if we could pick out something else?" without sounding rude. The necklaces must be between like $75-100 (looked it up online) so I feel horrible!!

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

TL;DR: Boyfriend keeps getting me old style jewelry that isn't my style, should I say something? If so, what?

This is 100% "Chico's Fun Mom Jewelry" and not anything close to what an 18 y/o would wear.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

My boyfriend [18 M] keeps spending a lot of money on necklaces I [19 F] that aren't my style/I can't wear, should I say something??

This is 100% "Chico's Fun Mom Jewelry" and not anything close to what an 18 y/o would wear.

He probably has bad taste in jewelry but I still don't get why she is asking this question

"My significant other is spending a lot of money getting me gifts I don't want. Should I say something??? Or just keep letting him do it?????"

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

He probably has bad taste in jewelry but I still don't get why she is asking this question

"My significant other is spending a lot of money getting me gifts I don't want. Should I say something??? Or just keep letting him do it?????"

quote:

really no part of it, I'm just worried about hurting his feelings or coming off as ungrateful! he says he hates giving gifts so much so I know he's already kind of an insecure gift-giver (lol, I'm the opposite) so I don't wanna make him sad.

Gifting is an act of aggression v3.492

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

TyrsHTML posted:

I'm pretty sure at least a part of him is from that episode of the next generation when they rescued the borg kid and named him Hugh

!!! I remember that ep! poo poo, did he have trouble with cats?

Also we're not idiots we know it straddles the line of sincerity ITS FUN geez. Pick is entertaining and I like hearing more about it. Call me crazy I just like stories in general

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Criticizing Pick's posting is fine but the Hugh stuff is getting kind of out of hand

I dunno if the rich Pick backstory lore is that compelling keep it to its own thread

La Brea Carpet posted:

Gifting is an act of aggression v3.492

I dunno this all just seems so teenaged

She should find a reason to show him a necklace she does like and say "I wish I had something like that" or something and if he gets mad at that then let him be mad and if he doesn't get over it and the relationship ends over that who cares they're 18 and 19

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 30, 2018

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
No no it must be seasoned in with little bits where Pick is unable to make any romantic or relationship discussion not in some part about her and Hugh

But point taken, I get the feeling I'm the one poking the bear here so I'll stop.

Wanna hear more about angry jail brother and how he's doing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I don't mean to single you out or anything, this is a GBS-wide phenomenon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Wanna hear more about angry jail brother and how he's doing

With any luck hes dead, with a lot of luck he died in a pathetic and hilarious way insulting a gorilla only to find out it knows English and is fuckin pissed.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

My [24M] girlfriend [24F] has a thing for cops. Shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm bothered by how it all started.

quote:

My girlfriend has a thing for cops. In and of itself, it shouldn't be a big deal. Everyone has a thing for something, right?

She hasn't always had a thing for cops. It all started on one specific night.

She's a social worker. One particular day she had been awake since 5 AM and was just getting home at 10 PM (ridiculous, I know). She was extremely exhausted. The moment she got home and laid down, she got an urgent call that she needed to head back to work to handle a new case. She was freaking out and breaking down.

I straight up told her not to go multiple times. I told her she was simply too tired to go, it wouldn't be safe to drive an hour in her condition. I told her gently caress the job, we can find her something else. I make enough money where we'd be fine.

She went anyway. Turns out, she had been driving without her lights on and had been noticeably weaving in her lane. A cop pulled her over. The cop asked her what was going, and she told him. He called her boss and told them that my girlfriend was done for the night-- he would not allow her to finish the drive to work. He then followed her as she drove home, making sure she was fine. Really nice guy, and I really appreciate it.

However-- this is the moment that sparked my girlfriend's interest in cops. She didn't reveal this interest for a few months. She said that it was so amazing to experience such authority that it was a huge turn on.

I asked her why she didn't just listen to me when I told her not to go. She said that that was nice and all, but I didn't have the authority to call up her boss and straight up tell them she didn't need to go to work. Okay...

It doesn't help that my girlfriend works with cops almost every single day.

We recently had a cop stop by our house, and I almost had to pick up her jaw off the floor for her. She couldn't stop talking about tall the guy was.

The whole thing has just been... disrespectful? I don't even know how to bring it up anymore. I've had a hard time getting my girlfriend to open up about her sexual interests, and I know that if I start a fight over this she'll shut down about her interests for a long time.

Any advice, tips, thoughts, etc. would be much appreciated.

TL;DR! -- Girlfriend has a thing for cops. Started when she ignored me, and a cop told her the same thing I told her. That sparked an interest for her and now I don't know where to go from here.

:cop:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

With any luck hes dead, with a lot of luck he died in a pathetic and hilarious way insulting a gorilla only to find out it knows English and is fuckin pissed.

George is gettin' upset!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [24M] girlfriend [24F] has a thing for cops. Shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm bothered by how it all started.

:cop:

he "doesn't know where to go from here"? Jeez is this ever an easy one

Buy a loving Hot Cop costume and waggle some handcuffs at her duhhhhh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

Dress up as a cop for some incredible sex, then to complete the roleplay murder her dog and face no repercussions.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OFFICER DOWN OFFICER DOWN

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im gonna have to take you in for questioning <sexily handcuffs her to a radiator in an abandoned building in downtown chicago and leaves her there for two weeks>

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

OFFICER DOWN OFFICER DOWN

:golfclap:

For the uninformed:
https://twitter.com/tombomp/status/781586920124088320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Aigh poor lady needs to learn her own limits and boundaries, she's got a Thing for people who take charge and define them for her

Also yeah have the cop sex