Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I ordered the Law & Order pin, and got some other one instead. Are sellers generally responsive to messages, or should I just dispute? Or try ordering again because it was only $1?

the vast majority of sellers are pretty reasonable, just take a pic and message them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

norp posted:

I bought one of these that I put inside the closet (attached around the inside of the door frame)

US $1.54 34%OFF | 1m 2m 3m Wireless PIR Motion Sensor LED Bed Closet Night light 5V 2835 LED Strip AAA Battery Power Flexiable lamp Illumination
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/hFNTScY

It is amazingly bright and I just recharge the batteries every month or so. It does support 5v micro USB input if you have power handy.
The eneloops I power it with are far more expensive than the light, and that's way cheaper than an electrician callout fee.

Yeah same. Went the USB powered route so I have a ton of choices for power supplies, and if I ever upgrade my power points to those cool ones with USB ports I could just use those.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I don't have a PowerPoint in the wardrobe!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

https://aliexpress.com/item/30/32974588871.html

Is this a raven which I see before me,
The magnet toward my hand?

Lol, that’s great.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I installed an ali led-strip with motion-sensor under our bed (the plugged in kind) and it works pretty great for when you have to pee in the middle of the night. I did have to secure it with some double-sided tape because the adhesive it came with let go at some point.

The one problem with these sort of things is I want them, but there will inevitably be no version rigged for UK electrics, and even in the few instances it would be as simple as changing a plug I would expect to get heavy metal poisoning.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sex Robot posted:

The one problem with these sort of things is I want them, but there will inevitably be no version rigged for UK electrics, and even in the few instances it would be as simple as changing a plug I would expect to get heavy metal poisoning.

There are plenty with a USB plug. Then you just need a USB to whatever adaptor that you can get locally.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Thank you for sharing this blessed pin

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hey guys im planning on going to hong kong in september so i could probably pick up a few of your orders when im there

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

hey guys im planning on going to hong kong in september so i could probably pick up a few of your orders when im there

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something seems off about your offer. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Can you pick up 10,000 random pins with mismatched graphics and quotes for me? Preferably ones with, like, Teddy Roosevelt quotes under Jim Gaffigan, or something like that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something seems off about your offer. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Can you pick up 10,000 random pins with mismatched graphics and quotes for me? Preferably ones with, like, Teddy Roosevelt quotes under Jim Gaffigan, or something like that.

i just asked my friend in HK and he said all he can guarantee is 10000 lapel pins resembling various toilet designs from around the world.

does that work>?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

i just asked my friend in HK and he said all he can guarantee is 10000 lapel pins resembling various toilet designs from around the world.

does that work>?

No quotes? Hm... I guess I can work with that. We’ll have to negotiate a price.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I've been a fan of AliExpress for a while, now, and after having just gone through the thread, here are some things I do not think I saw:

EZONE Weasel Hair Calligraphy Brush Traditional Chinese Writing Handwriting Practice Festival Couplets Regular Script Supplies
Chinese Calligraphy Brush Pen Goat Hair Bamboo Shaft Paint Brush Art Stationary Oil Painting Brush

I use these with a Buddha Board I got as a gift, which is basically a water painting board. They work very well. I have not tried them with ink.

3D Pop Up Sailboat Postcard Greeting Card Handmade Birthday Valentine Invitation, a 3D pop-up card with a sailboat design. I try to crew on sailboats in the summer, and figured I would send the skippers these as a thank-you.
Some nautical-themed silicone stamps. I use these for scrapbooking. Also, some guest harbors have guestbooks, maybe I'll keep some of these and an ink pad along for leaving a mark there.

A date stamp, also used for scrapbooking.

Yoga Blocks for a great price.

Tweezers. I got both kinds, the straight and the bent tip.

I combined a ball swivel camera mount and a kitchen timer with some hot glue to make a DIY time lapse rotator. It worked great. There are ready-made solutions and even fancy electronic, adjustable units, but I do not have experience with these. The DIY route gave me a magnetic base instead of a socket on the bottom, which can be good or bad, according to the situation.

A knife sharpener. Seems to work just fine.

Some floating candle holders. They come with candles that are glued on, so you might damage them by ripping a petal when removing those like I did, but they make perfectly servicable floats for normal tea lights after that.

I've been perfectly satisfied with my Ugreen HDMI cables. I've tried runs of up to 10 meters, no problems. This is only for AV, I haven't tried some of the fancier data signals that I think new HDMI specs support? My use case has been just connecting AV stuff to my TV.
More computer stuff, this 2.5" HDD enclosure works OK.

When you have one of these access keys, you start seeing places it can open all around. If anyone knows where I can get some larger sizes, though, please let me know.

These are just some of the hits I've had. Going through my orders, I noticed that many of the items are, sadly, no longer available. I've also had plenty of misses to go with these hits, so, as always, buyer beware. The items I linked to I have personal experience with, though, and they've been fine (or I wouldn't link them).

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

This is not available

why do you tease me so and crush my dreams

I *need* this pin

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Chinatown posted:

Say hi to my brother. He’s the one with the tie

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sex Robot posted:

Say hi to my brother. He’s the one with the tie

how many pieces is his suit?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Fauxtool posted:

how many pieces is his suit?

I am not at liberty to divulge that information sir.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Sex Robot posted:

I have a couple of ali/wish LED controllers, they just take whatever random 12 volt chargers I found first. Nothing's burned down yet!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

TorakFade posted:

This is not available

I *need* this pin

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/639988543/enamel-pin-meme-screaming-possum

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/673462751/embroidered-patch-meme-scream-at-own-rear end

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Get the shirt

US $13.01 7% Off | All Over Print T-Shirt Men Funy tshirt He Scream at Own rear end Short Sleeve O-Neck Graphic Tops Tee women t shirt
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/WBivLx2

E- or whatever this thing is

US $1.62 20% Off | Plush Cute Keji rear end Vocal Toy Dog Toy BB Scream Soft Plush Fill 1PC New Dog Puppy Chew Toy Pet Dinner
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bucx7a2c

Snowy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 17, 2019

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

Get the shirt

US $13.01 7% Off | All Over Print T-Shirt Men Funy tshirt He Scream at Own rear end Short Sleeve O-Neck Graphic Tops Tee women t shirt
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/WBivLx2
I saw it was $13 and I was like nah, but then I saw He Scream at Own rear end and I was like yeah!

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

hell of a markup

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Looks like those links are in Australian dollarydoos. That plus shipping down under might be the difference.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TorakFade posted:

This is not available

I *need* this pin

I'm pretty sure this is the original:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/639988543/enamel-pin-meme-screaming-possum?ref=related-4

Pricier, but the quality *might* be better and you're probably paying the actual artist.

Related:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Tweezers. I got both kinds, the straight and the bent tip.

How's the closing and the hold on those? I got both short straight and bent versions of these tweezers:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...2828392218.html
and they are real good quality, but you can never have too many cheap tweezers because they hide the second you look away.

My ability to purchase 24 tiny plastic chicks at any time I like may have gotten to my head. LOOK AT THEM, OH MY GOD.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/sal...2600304509.html
Here's the turf, which I bought 'cause it's cheap and getting a static grass electric thingamajig is not:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mic...2832752426.html

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

wrap your phone in tiny capsule people:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ccdYL5he

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Black Feather posted:

How much washi tape is too much washi tape?

There is no such thing.... holy balls I've bought so much washi tape on AE :colbert: no ragrets tho.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

How's the closing and the hold on those?

It seems fine, I don't know if I have the expertise to really judge them, all I've used them for was replacing a keycap on my laptop and they worked fine for that. But I can imagine grabbing hold of jumpers and such without any problems.

Here's something I forgot: a credit card maginifier. It's part of my every-day carry, now. I also have one of those "tactical multi-tool" cards, but it's no longer on AliExpress, for some reason. All I can find are these 11-in-1 credit card tools, but mine has more and different features. Although this one seems to have my most-used feature as well: the bottle opener.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

now that's what I'm talking about. now I want a phone case that has pig-like skin that appears to bleed when you press on it too hard

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Thanks for the input on the lighting strips. Once I get them installed I'll try to remember to report how well they work.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Thanks for the input on the lighting strips. Once I get them installed I'll try to remember to report how well they work.

I also ordered rgb ones for the bedroom. Will tell how they are

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Earphone review:

I get through earphones at a heck of a rate as I tend to fall asleep whilst wearing them at night and break the cables by sleeping on them for 7 hours. So, I figured that I could buy something dirt cheap and just replace them every few weeks and it would still be much cheaper than buying 'nice' ones.

60c a pair including postage!
How bad can they be? They only need to be good enough to listen to a podcast.

Answer: they can be utter shite and sound like they cost 60c including postage.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
My son is awful with earbuds and kills them at the same rate whether I buy specifically "ultra-durable" expensive ones or cheap ones, so I ordered 5 pair of these 6 months ago, and then 5 more a couple weeks ago. The sound quality isn't great but they're $1 and you don't care if they break.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SOO...2850603570.html

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've thought about buying a bunch of cheap pairs of headphones to hand out on the train to people who 'forgot' their headphones. On the other hand, I don't want to get stabbed.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Shut up Meg posted:

Earphone review:

I get through earphones at a heck of a rate as I tend to fall asleep whilst wearing them at night and break the cables by sleeping on them for 7 hours. So, I figured that I could buy something dirt cheap and just replace them every few weeks and it would still be much cheaper than buying 'nice' ones.

60c a pair including postage!
How bad can they be? They only need to be good enough to listen to a podcast.

Answer: they can be utter shite and sound like they cost 60c including postage.

I have this

The speakers are ok enough to listen to podcasts, and lie flat so you can sleep on your side without them pissing you off. The cable is braided so much more robust and the cable is attached to the top so if you keep your smartphone or whatever up by your pillow the cable tends to stay up there too instead of getting dragged down into blanket world, one of the best purchases I made so far this year.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
listening to podcasts while sleeping seems weird

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My son wants The Flash on his closet door knobs. Ali-express apparently respects Marvel's copyright for this or something. . . The best I have found is $4.50 each + shipping on Etsy. I think this is probably the way to go, my only complaint is $4.50 per knob seems a little high, and if I'm going to pay for copyright infringement I would rather have the precision quality of a poorly operated Chinese machine manufacturing my knobs. Have I simply not found the right magic keywords on Ali, do they filter out words like "The Flash" or "Marvel"?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

listening to podcasts while sleeping seems weird

it really isn't

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
just get bluetooth earbuds, I got QCY's and they are loving awesome. Use them every night to listen to podcasts in bed, I use one ear so I can lie on my side, no cable hassle.

These are the small versions: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/QCY...sAbTest=ae803_5

I got these (use them everyday, also during commute, the sound is very good): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/QCY...sAbTest=ae803_5

They last about 4-5 hours, the box charges them, and I use them like 2 hours a day and the box needs recharging once a week.

I had these previously but the cable broke after about a year of intense use and abuse: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/QCY...sAbTest=ae803_5

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

lt_kennedy posted:

There is no such thing.... holy balls I've bought so much washi tape on AE :colbert: no ragrets tho.

What do you use it for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it might not be "bad" but I'd definitely say it's pretty unusual