Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

OpenAI to announce an ‘AI-Powered search engine’ next week — Here’s what we know
Published on May 11, 2024

OpenAI will reportedly announce an artificial intelligence-powered search engine for its flagship chatbot ChatGPT on Monday, a much hyped and speculated feature that would ratchet up competition with search giant Google as startups and Big Tech alike race to cash in on the tech world’s latest gold rush.

OpenAI will announce its new AI search product on Monday, a day before Google is expected to announce plans for its Gemini AI products at its annual I/O developer conference, Reuters reported, citing two sources familiar with the matter.

According to The Verge, OpenAI’s machinations include “aggressively trying to poach Google employees” for a team working to ship the product
the hosed up thing? google products are so loving bad now that there's somehow a 50/50 coinflip that this is aitoid nonsense better than google search

lol if they poach all the google employees that made it suck rear end in the first place

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:19 on May 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://twitter.com/rcbregman/status/1786331219715616890

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

good

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ops my bad

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lol 1981

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

thank you ronald reagan

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

throw it on the pile of "graphs where poo poo gets bad" that all have a massive uptick/downtick when Reagan hosed up everything

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

WampaLord posted:

throw it on the pile of "graphs where poo poo gets bad" that all have a massive uptick/downtick when Reagan hosed up everything

poo poo trickles down, is that what you're saying?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

lol its not just EV's

biden coming up behind solar industry to finish the job

ah, go figure. this round of liberals bloodlust sicko sinophobia is because of corporate lobbying lmfao

libs don't even have real principled stance, it's just because they love campaign donations

CEO Mark Widmar has just been going up to biden like a dog begging him to ban teh evil chy-na and showering democrats with :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Morbus posted:

ops my bad

Maybe now you can get help for your brain that thinks LLM's are real star trek ai's :)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

skooma512 posted:

https://dallasexpress.com/business-markets/buy-now-pay-later-phantom-debt-mounting-wall-street-warns/

‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ Phantom Debt Mounting, Wall Street Warns

New purchasing options available to consumers are leading to short-term debt accumulation that Wall Street is struggling to track.

Retailers are increasingly offering “buy now, pay later” (BNPL) options. This short-term financing solution allows consumers to make a purchase immediately and pay for it in installments over time.

While the programs can vary, they are typically short-term in nature, with fixed payments and no interest. Commonly, the payment plan is divided over four periods, hence the nickname for the product: “pay in four.” The first payment is often due right away, with the three subsequent payments due every other week.

The actual magnitude of the short-term financing program is unclear but is likely substantial, according to one expert.

Tim Quinlan, a senior economist at Wells Fargo & Co., said the program is driving a growing “phantom debt” in the U.S. economy. This is largely because the major players in the space, Affirm Holdings Inc., Klarna Bank AB, and Block Inc.’s Afterpay, are not required to report BNPL loans to credit agencies.

Even without official figures, surveys of consumer usage point to a rising and largely untracked bucket of U.S. personal debt.

Last year, The Dallas Express reported that one in five Americans planned to use a BNPL payment plan to make purchases over the holiday season, according to a report by Adobe Analytics. In another survey, Bankrate found that 8% of respondents intended to use BNPL to finance holiday travel.

While the loans do not charge interest, consumers are still at risk of being hit with late fees for missed payments. Adobe Analytics estimates that in the first quarter of 2024, $19.2 billion was spent using BNPL, representing a more than 12% rise from the same quarter the previous year.

One estimate predicts that the opaque “buy now, pay later” market will reach nearly $700 billion globally by 2028. This could spell trouble, as a recent Harris Poll survey conducted for Bloomberg News found more than four out of 10 respondents who owe money to BNPL services were past due on payments.

The survey, conducted in April, found that dividing payments encourages consumers to overspend, with over half saying BNPL enabled them to buy more than they could afford.

For nearly a quarter of respondents, BNPL spending was deemed “out of control.”

Simon Khalaf, Chief Executive Officer of Marqeta Inc., a firm focused on assisting payment processing for BNPL providers, says the hidden debt may be so large that it could have broader economic implications.

“They’ve reached a certain scale that they could impact economists’ assumptions about their economic outlooks,” said Khalaf, per Bloomberg.

The major players in BNPL blame credit agencies for the lack of transparency, saying they cannot handle their information. They also claim disclosure could harm customer credit scores.

For their part, the big three credit bureaus say they are prepared to manage the financing details, and VantageScore Solutions and Fair Isaac Corp. (FICO) similarly say they are prepared to assess how BNPL products affect their credit scores.

I've used Affirm to finance car repairs. I'm actually not paying on credit card and personal loan debt to negotiate settlements, but I kept paying the Affirm loan. The payments weren't bad and the balance didn't grow against the payments, meaning everything was set in stone unless I missed a payment. Easiest debt to pay off. The rest of my debt was subject to rate fluctuations and fees, or incredibly high payments to begin with.

Now my problem with Affirm and that market is actually with the regulators: How the gently caress do you not track this? And the legislature: forget TikTok bans, this is what you need to be legislating. gently caress.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

the popes toes posted:

The poo poo does, but the seeds are long gone.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rectal Death Alert posted:

what the gently caress? where the gently caress did you learn economy?

The way number works is that profit can only ever increase. Decreasing profit is the same thing as zero profit.

This means prices can never be cut, they can only increase forever. Layoffs can only continue. quality can only be cut. Profit only increases.

And you think you can just operate a successful business only making massive hoards of profits ...that don't grow exponentially forever?!?!

"the 9th derivative must also be positive" - sane economomy

WampaLord posted:

some of those are a bit misleading because the things they track have lead time, so really it's combo of Carter was poo poo, Volcker was poo poo and Reagan was turboshit. This one otoh doesn't have that, you change a tax rate it's changed.

StealthArcher has issued a correction as of 11:06 on May 11, 2024

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

i am imbecile with buttons

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

I love audiophile stuff. As we all know the electricity coming out of your wall is far too noisy to truly replicate the dulcet tones of Steely Dan. In order to clean the filth that the electric company tries to send to your receiver and salvage your listening sessions, RME has just the technology for you.

https://www.rme-usa.com/lni-2-dc.html

I found this on an audiophile forum where they were having a vigorous debate about how well this thing worked. It costs $650

Lol.

When I worked at Best Buy as a teenager they would throw me into the media dept with no training and just emphasis selling those lovely BEAST or whatever they were called cables. And I would by talking about the copper ends making your music sound better or whatever. At least at first, but with there no being commission's unlike those fat cats selling TVs and fridges, people would ask me about them and I'd just say I had no idea if they did things better.

Then inevitably some customer, who were always dudes, would talk over me and tell me yeah they definitely did and grab a bunch and run tot he checkout aisle.

Dudes rock.

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 12:31 on May 11, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

anonumos posted:

I've used Affirm to finance car repairs. I'm actually not paying on credit card and personal loan debt to negotiate settlements, but I kept paying the Affirm loan.

You can negotiate down credit card debt? Against big banks?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Twerk from Home posted:

I am utterly confused by the vehicles that people use for gig work. I don't take Ubers often, basically only to get to the airport, but my last Uber airport pickup was a guy in a Jeep Wrangler on huge mud tires. What really takes the cake though was this week when I saw someone delivering McDondalds for Doordash in a very new Toyota Land Cruiser.

Spend some time reading ridesharing/gig delivery forums and you'll quickly realize that a ton of drivers are using these "jobs" to justify/pay for the car they want, and that they're making very little or no money that doesn't go into maintenance or paying their lease/loan. I guarantee that anyone doing gig delivery in a car that isn't a jalopy or something extremely fuel efficient is doing that work because it's how they can afford to keep the car.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Shageletic posted:

i just got mail from amex begging me to negotiate mine down but you have to stop paying and gently caress up your credit score first

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Anything is possible if you're willing to burn down your credit score in the process. It's usually easier to do once your account gets sold to a collection agency, but the big banks will also negotiate lower settlements if it's clear that you'll never pay off your debt. That's how those debt relief companies work: they negotiate settlements and then sell you a personal loan (ideally at a lower rate) for whatever the consolidated settlement amount happens to be. It's usually still a lot better than bankruptcy if you can't afford to make your minimum payments, though.

Credit card companies will actually try to force you into settlements sometimes by lowering your limit just above your balance and other shady poo poo so that the card effectively becomes unusable. These tactics can really obliterate your credit score even if you never once miss a payment.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

as far as i'm concerned AI as it exists has one role and one role only - augmented suggestions in limited scope based on best-of-class scenarios, written by people, for a human doing A Thing.

the outputs can never be as good as the inputs but if you're in the middle of a project and need some help, sure it might be useful. but using AI as an all-in-one solution is laughable

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oglethorpe posted:

as far as i'm concerned AI as it exists has one role and one role only - augmented suggestions in limited scope based on best-of-class scenarios, written by people, for a human doing A Thing.

the outputs can never be as good as the inputs but if you're in the middle of a project and need some help, sure it might be useful. but using AI as an all-in-one solution is laughable

yeah people forget that at most it's a personal assistant, not Janet from the Good Place

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Germany is to start conscription lmao

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Anything is possible if you're willing to burn down your credit score in the process. It's usually easier to do once your account gets sold to a collection agency, but the big banks will also negotiate lower settlements if it's clear that you'll never pay off your debt. That's how those debt relief companies work: they negotiate settlements and then sell you a personal loan (ideally at a lower rate) for whatever the consolidated settlement amount happens to be. It's usually still a lot better than bankruptcy if you can't afford to make your minimum payments, though.

Credit card companies will actually try to force you into settlements sometimes by lowering your limit just above your balance and other shady poo poo so that the card effectively becomes unusable. These tactics can really obliterate your credit score even if you never once miss a payment.

The benefit of bankruptcy is that it deals with all your creditors at once so you don't have to spend time negotiating with each one. The disadvantage of bankruptcy is that a corrupt senator that was owned by the credit card companies changed the laws so you can't just go in and get it done with a chapter 7, most people are forced into 5 year repayment plans instead.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Nonsense posted:

Hmm this seems ominous

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

skaboomizzy posted:

we're watching the world's dumbest billionaire do the "it's not rocket science, it's just brain surgery, how hard could it be?" bit in real life

what a time to be alive (until we aren't)

He's also rear end at rocket science which makes this funnier

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

the popes toes posted:

yeah like as in it trickles down from your pantleg to inside of your boot

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Germany planning on joining or starting a conflict in the next couple of years?

Or is this some sort of no one wants to work be cannon fodder in the military anymore.

My parents who grew up during the Vietnam draft claimed the US government would never be dumb enough restart the draft here. But that shared memory is fading fast, so it wouldn’t surprise me that those at the top institute a draft, or some sort of low level prisoners/crime (homeless, petty theft) to infantry pipeline.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Rip Testes posted:

Woman found living in Michigan grocery store sign, complete with computer and Keurig, for months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmZCXoPLcuA

Who lives in the sign at the stores grocery?
Premium Consumer
Rational and fiscal and healthy is she
Premium Consumer
If shareholder value is something you wish
Premium Consumer
Then buy back your stocks and price hike this bitch
Premium Consumer

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

gently caress you, McDonalds!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

grocery store bar

:psyduck:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

getting day drunk on ipas at the whole foods bar ftw

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

lmao i missed Roku, demanding ever more profits, is now shovelling ads onto their Smart TV interface poo poo

ads are always valuable to the viewer, thank you mr ceo

cool
always wanted to do that thing they did in office space

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Nonsense posted:

wtf. source?

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Popoto posted:

wtf. source?

I mean ultimately, I suppose this is the source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgnrYNtdsM

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Popoto posted:

wtf. source?

found this but if anyone has a better source….

https://www.barrons.com/amp/news/german-conservatives-vote-for-compulsory-military-service-86cefcee

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I'm not super familiar with German politics, but I thought they never technically ended their compulsory military service, just paused it indefinitely like 10-15 years ago?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nonsense posted:

are they doing it, most I find contain weaselwords like "should" and "we might" etc

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not super familiar with German politics, but I thought they never technically ended their compulsory military service, just paused it indefinitely like 10-15 years ago?

Explaining the technicalities as history springs back to life, and some German teen has to enter the Bundeswehr, is how neoliberals plan to manage the contradictions. Excited to see how this works out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny given the Western model of modern conscription as exemplified by the IDF is to water down the required training to glorified summer camp, with clear consequences when you throw those people into an actual conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

double nine posted:

are they doing it, most I find contain weaselwords like "should" and "we might" etc

The C-Dem resolution is part of what they want to do if they get in power. Which they currently are not, with the next federal elections being scheduled for 2025.

The current government is, however, doing some blue sky thinking of how to drive up recruiting numbers and some conscription lite models have been named. But there is not any actual plan and it is doubtful if they could even do it from a pureply practical point of view.