Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

El Mero Mero posted:

You've said this like 6 times and it's actually not true. There are a dozen or more different types of cases for people that don't have documentation (other posters have mentioned some.) Undocumented people are not "illegal". That term doesn't even have a well understood legal meaning.

Also, "fruit of a crime"? Really? What is this, the old testament? That's another concept with no meaning, it just sounds flowery and dramatic.

What was the crime? What was the benefit? Was harm inflicted? What is the punishment? Is it reasonable in relation to the severity of the crime? Even if it's reasonable, is it cruel and unusual? How long ago was the crime committed? Are there specific details that matter?

These are all questions that matter and that you don't seem give a poo poo about.

Also not a crime, a civil offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think it's pretty obvious that DR just wants to dehumanize undocumented immigrants by comparing them to murderers or whatever. They're not sending their best.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The real way to prevent these dastardly criminals from coming here and stealing our nation is to institute a citizenship check at grocery stores, DMV's, stop lights, and the sun. Why should these people benefit from our California sunlight? Why should they have access to food? Should they be allowed to have safety on the street? Should they be able soak in the aura of America? I say no. These benefits are allocated to US citizens alone, and these nefarious illegal actors benefiting from our climate, food, and water would be the fruit of a crime. Let them die in the street, I say! Stack their bodies like cordwood, so that we may look upon their emaciated faces in triumph! Turn them away from hospitals, so that all shall see their suffering! Attach sunshades to their bodies so that they may never view the sky again! Only once we have taken these, and many other actions, will we have corrected the eldritch imbalance that comes with undocumented immigrants!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

The real way to prevent these dastardly criminals from coming here and stealing our nation is to institute a citizenship check at grocery stores, DMV's, stop lights, and the sun. Why should these people benefit from our California sunlight? Why should they have access to food? Should they be allowed to have safety on the street? Should they be able soak in the aura of America? I say no. These benefits are allocated to US citizens alone, and these nefarious illegal actors benefiting from our climate, food, and water would be the fruit of a crime. Let them die in the street, I say! Stack their bodies like cordwood, so that we may look upon their emaciated faces in triumph! Turn them away from hospitals, so that all shall see their suffering! Attach sunshades to their bodies so that they may never view the sky again! Only once we have taken these, and many other actions, will we have corrected the eldritch imbalance that comes with undocumented immigrants!

what about our precious California air

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

You joke but I'm pretty sure most John and Ken listeners would unironically advocate for this.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

You joke but I'm pretty sure most John and Ken listeners would unironically advocate for this.

oh my god are those fuckers still on the air

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

stone cold posted:

oh my god are those fuckers still on the air

I just looked it up and unfortunately yes.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Instant Sunrise posted:

Oh man I haven't thought about John and Ken for a long time. I hate those fuckers.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

I just looked it up and unfortunately yes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's going to be 96 degrees Wed and 94 degrees on Thanksgiving in parts of SoCal.

Gotta get out of here before 2025...this place is gonna burn.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

El Mero Mero posted:

You've said this like 6 times and it's actually not true. There are a dozen or more different types of cases for people that don't have documentation (other posters have mentioned some.) Undocumented people are not "illegal". That term doesn't even have a well understood legal meaning.

Also, "fruit of a crime"? Really? What is this, the old testament? That's another concept with no meaning, it just sounds flowery and dramatic.

What was the crime? What was the benefit? Was harm inflicted? What is the punishment? Is it reasonable in relation to the severity of the crime? Even if it's reasonable, is it cruel and unusual? How long ago was the crime committed? Are there specific details that matter?

These are all questions that matter and that you don't seem give a poo poo about.
Entering the country without permission, and deliberately evading our immigration and border control systems, with the intent of either remaining or working without proper permission. Staying in the country longer than you were given permission to stay. Do you agree that these actions are against the law?

Their presence is the result of an illegal act, and their desire to be in the country was their motivation for breaking our laws. Do you disagree?

Our border control and immigration laws must be enforced to have meaning. How do you suggest we enforce them?

Sending them back to their countries of origin seems easier and more humane, IMO.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Entering the country without permission, and deliberately evading our immigration and border control systems, with the intent of either remaining or working without proper permission.

Their presence is the result of an illegal act, and their desire to be in the country was their motivation for breaking our laws. Do you disagree?

Wages from working without authorization are not considered fruit of the crime and are not forfeit if you're caught.

Fruit of the crime is a legal term that refers to the direct gains of the crime like money stolen from a bank or profits from selling drugs. It does not refer to every indirect unrelated thing that the original crime ultimately set in motion. My wages aren't forfeit if I work without authorization, or I jumped a subway turnstile to make my original job interview 10 years earlier. My lottery winnings aren't forfeit just because I drove on a suspended license to go buy the ticket while evading the police. You're either deliberately misusing a legal term in order to mislead people or you're a massive dumbass who is just saying stuff you think sounds cool and dresses up your argument in a veneer of impressive-sounding jargon.

And as Instant Sunrise pointed out, what you want to do is illegal, it's unconstitutional, so it is pointless to scramble around trying to find some kind of legal term that you can misapply to make it vaguely kinda sound like the law backs you up.

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're the one who brought up the idea of running a warrant check on someone before allowing them to receive certain services, so accusing me of drawing an equivalency is hilariously disingenuous. It's literally your example.

My example was other civil offenses: in this case moving violations, not aggravated assault. Frankly, that you have to swap in violent crimes in order to salvage your argument (and even then it still doesn't work because violent criminals still have a right to medical care and secondary education) is probably the most direct admission of the weakness of your position that I'm likely to get.

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're articulating an unlimited right without grappling with what that means in a world with limited resources. You cannot hand wave things like the discrepancy in care that would inherently exist if California offered free-at-the-point-of-service health care for all while other states do not.

No I said the opposite, read better.

VitalSigns posted:

Healthcare, education, shelter, sustenance, these are universal human rights. That they are not currently provided to every human being is an obstacle to be overcome and a battle to be won, it is not an argument that no one deserves these things. The practical or financial inability of our town or our state to feed and clothe and care for the entire world or even for the whole country singlehandedly is not an excuse to deny these necessities to the people who live in our own communities whom we do have the ability and resources to help.

Let me repeat that for you: The practical or financial inability of our town or our state to feed and clothe and care for the entire world or even for the whole country singlehandedly is not an excuse to deny these necessities to the people who live in our own communities whom we do have the ability and resources to help.

By definition illegal immigrants who have lived and worked in the state long enough to meet residency requirements cannot be a financial threat to public services because they contribute to them in the same manner as every other resident of the state.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 21, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

theory: dead reckoning is an extremely caremad extremely owned john and or ken

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

stone cold posted:

theory: dead reckoning is an extremely caremad extremely owned john and or ken

In my imagination, he’s a replicant model from the series that preceded Gavin Newsom and he’s come here to work out what he needs pass his Turing test. Just keep trying buddy, you’ll get there one day!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

It's interesting seeing what happens when someone who never got beyond the "they broke the law!" level of understanding of immigration policy is faced with what the law actually says.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why is it that the people who squawk the loudest about statist tyranny and government overreach are always the first in line clamoring to live under a maximally intrusive police state where you can't get your kid some medicine or take a poo poo without someone demanding your papers to make sure your permits are in order and you're not evading unpaid parking tickets and the penalty for questioning authority is death.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Why is it that the people who squawk the loudest about statist tyranny and government overreach are always the first in line clamoring to live under a maximally intrusive police state where you can't get your kid some medicine or take a poo poo without someone demanding your papers to make sure your permits are in order and you're not evading unpaid parking tickets and the penalty for questioning authority is death.

Because only those people would have to worry under a police state, not them.

Duckbox posted:

It's interesting seeing what happens when someone who never got beyond the "they broke the law!" level of understanding of immigration policy is faced with what the law actually says.

I mean, undocumented immigration came about because of a couple of well-intentioned but badly implemented laws in the 1960’s, the Hart-Celler Act and the end of the insanely exploitative Bracero program.

Hart-Celler was passed because during the Cold War it wasn’t a good look for the leader of the free world to have immigration quotas that de facto excluded all Asians from immigrating. So they made it much easier for Asians to enter the US while the formula they used to determine visas shut down a lot of avenues for legal immigration from Latin America.

The Bracero program was started in 1942 because with the wartime draft going on they still needed people to work the farms, so they offered temporary work visas to Mexican men to perform agricultural labor. Of course, capitalists gonna capitalist, and the program put a lot of power in the hands of employers, so the program was ended in the 60’s to stop the exploitation.

Except it didn’t work because the major agricultural producers and low-skilled employers just switched to using undocumented immigrants, and they had even more power over them to exploit with.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 21, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Sending them back to their countries of origin seems easier and more humane, IMO.

Easier and more humane than just loving treating them? Do you know how much it costs to detain and deport people, Mr. Fiscal Responsibility?

VitalSigns posted:

Spot on.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

stone cold posted:

lol buddy if you think people telling to laugh at how idiotic you are is “mad”

well that would explain a lot about your extremely caremad posting
"I'm not mad, you're mad!" - The person apparently compelled to post multiple times about how much they don't like me across several unrelated threads.

VitalSigns posted:

Wages from working without authorization are not considered fruit of the crime and are not forfeit if you're caught.

Fruit of the crime is a legal term that refers to the direct gains of the crime like money stolen from a bank or profits from selling drugs. It does not refer to every indirect unrelated thing that the original crime ultimately set in motion. My wages aren't forfeit if I work without authorization, or I jumped a subway turnstile to make my original job interview 10 years earlier...
I'm pretty sure "illegally entering the United States -> residing in the United States" is a much more direct result than this or any of your other examples.

VitalSigns posted:

Let me repeat that for you: The practical or financial inability of our town or our state to feed and clothe and care for the entire world or even for the whole country singlehandedly is not an excuse to deny these necessities to the people who live in our own communities whom we do have the ability and resources to help.

By definition illegal immigrants who have lived and worked in the state long enough to meet residency requirements cannot be a financial threat to public services because they contribute to them in the same manner as every other resident of the state.
I see you've jumped to a financial argument again. I asked earlier if that was your reasoning, but you chose not to answer. Is your objection to cutting out illegal aliens financial or moral?

Illegal immigrants aren't legitimate members of the community. We've created a legal process for those who wish to join the community on a temporary or permanent basis, and they chose to ignore or subvert it. Again, why do see fraud as different if it occurs at one remove? Why is defining "the community" as "people residing in California" morally superior to defining it as "people legally residing in California"?

VitalSigns posted:

And as Instant Sunrise pointed out, what you want to do is illegal, it's unconstitutional, so it is pointless to scramble around trying to find some kind of legal term that you can misapply to make it vaguely kinda sound like the law backs you up.

Duckbox posted:

I'm well aware of what the law is, I'm talking about what I think the law ought to be. Why do so many people have trouble with this distinction?

revolther
May 27, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm well aware of what the law is, I'm talking about what I think the law ought to be. Why do so many people have trouble with this distinction?
Probably because you want to violate people's constitutional rights, refuse to acknowledge their human rights or even their basic humanity, and also because you have no true grasp of the causes of or solutions to the subject you are engaged in debate about, as it's been wonderfully illustrated quite a few times over.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Dead Reckoning posted:

Illegal immigrants aren't legitimate members of the community.

You understand that nobody you’re arguing with agrees with this, right?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

Illegal immigrants aren't legitimate members of the community. We've created a legal process for those who wish to join the community on a temporary or permanent basis, and they chose to ignore or subvert it. Again, why do see fraud as different if it occurs at one remove? Why is defining "the community" as "people residing in California" morally superior to defining it as "people legally residing in California"?

Your argument isn’t that they aren’t legitimate members of the community, it’s that they’ve come into the United States illegally and are residing here as such.

People can have a non-legal status and be legitimate members of the community. They own homes, attend schools, pay state and local taxes. All of that makes them legitimate members of local/state communities.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Y'all aren’t going to argue DR from being a reactionary fuckstick so just threaten to grab their guns until they go back to TFR or GIP

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

So wait, you're not just being ruthlessly legalistic and saying "rules are rules?" You actually think the system is flawed and can and should be changed? And the only change you'd make would be to strip marginalized immigrant families of their few existing rights? Why?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You know, between the casual disregard for our unwelcoming attitude and the relentless sea lioning, I'm beginning to think DR might be arguing in bad faith???

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
We interrupt everyone dunking on the semi-literate brownshirt to bring you this news dispatch from America's Best State

quote:

California To Meet 2030 Renewable Energy Targets By 2020

A new report from the California Public Utilities Commission has concluded that the state’s major utilities have already met or will all soon exceed the state’s 2020 renewable energy target of 33%, and will likely meet the 2030 target of 50% by 2020.

California is well-known as a world leader in clean energy technology deployment, but the California Public Utilities Commission’s (CPUC) annual Renewables Portfolio Standard (RPS) report published earlier this month shows that the state’s utilities are well ahead of the RPS targets — specifically, to source 33% of retail sales per year from eligible renewable energy sources by 2020 and 50% by 2030.

On top of the fast pace of renewable energy deployment, California’s RPS program has similarly helped reduce the cost of renewable electricity, with the price of utility solar contracts between 2008 and 2016 falling by 77%, while the price of wind contracts between 2007 and 2015 fell by 47%.

Further, the CPUC predicts that, on aggregate, California’s utilities will meet its 2030 RPS requirements of 50% by 2020.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Nice! Combine that with recent reports that renewable energy is cheaper than fossil fuels and we can feel a little hopeful on this fine, 86-degree, late-November day.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I mean, it makes sense because you don't have to pay for sunlight or wind, but coal, oil, natgas, and uranium are dependent on the whims of the ~*free market*~. So most of the costs for renewables are up front with construction, with the long term costs of operation and maintenance being a lot lower than a fossil fuel plant that has to, you know, buy fuel.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 21, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, I can't find it now, but I saw a headline the other day that building new renewable energy plants had just become cheaper than just running existing fossil fuel plants.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

CPColin posted:

Yeah, I can't find it now, but I saw a headline the other day that building new renewable energy plants had just become cheaper than just running existing fossil fuel plants.
I'm not sure how you could make that comparison in a way that makes sense, one is an ongoing cost where you have to pick a specific window in time to get a number, the other is a one-off event. Like, is building a renewable plant cheaper than running a fossil fuel plant for a week, a month, a year, or what?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I bet the article went into more detail. Or maybe it didn't and that's why I can't find it any more!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

I'm not sure how you could make that comparison in a way that makes sense, one is an ongoing cost where you have to pick a specific window in time to get a number, the other is a one-off event. Like, is building a renewable plant cheaper than running a fossil fuel plant for a week, a month, a year, or what?

It is probably comparing levelized cost of electricity for renewables to operating costs for a coal plant. So the cost to generate 1KW of electricity via renewables when you include capital costs, construction ,maintenance etc versus just the operating costs to generate 1KW of electricity via fossil fuels and ignoring the costs to actually have built the fossil fuel plant.

edit: yeah its the Lazard LCOE annual report here - https://www.lazard.com/perspective/levelized-cost-of-energy-2017/

quote:

As LCOE values for alternative energy technologies continue to decline, in some scenarios the full-lifecycle costs of building and operating renewables-based projects have dropped below the operating costs alone of conventional generation technologies such as coal or nuclear. This is expected to lead to ongoing and significant deployment of alternative energy capacity.

Global costs of generating electricity from alternative energy technologies continue to decline. For example, the levelized cost of energy for both utility-scale solar photovoltaic (PV) and onshore wind technologies are down approximately 6% from last year.

Despite the modestly slowing rate of cost declines for utility-scale alternative energy generation, the gap between the costs of certain alternative energy technologies (e.g., utility-scale solar and onshore wind) and conventional generation technologies continues to widen as the cost profiles of such conventional generation remain flat (e.g., coal) and, in certain instances, increase (e.g., nuclear). Specifically, the estimated levelized cost of energy for nuclear generation increased ~35% versus prior estimates, reflecting increased capital costs at various nuclear facilities currently in development.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 21, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think this is the article you're referring to.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That look like it, thanks!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Solar is getting hella cheap you guys

quote:

Mexico’s Energy Auction Just Logged the Lowest Solar Power Price on the Planet

Preliminary results show Enel bid two solar projects at just $17.70 per megawatt-hour. Wind power also hit a record-low price point in Mexico.

Preliminary results from Mexico’s latest energy auction have broken the lower boundary for solar costs, following a trend seen in other auctions around the world.

The Mexican government this month announced the average price achieved in its third long-term auction of 2017 was $20.57 per megawatt-hour, which it said is “one of the lowest prices achieved internationally.”

A breakdown of the winning bids, published by Electrek, shows Italian developer Enel pitching two solar lots at $17.70 per megawatt-hour, or just 1.77 cents per kilowatt-hour -- the lowest bid achieved anywhere in the world so far. Two years ago, the U.S. solar sector was cheering projects priced below 4 cents per kilowatt-hour.

The record-low rate comes hot on the heels of an auction in Chile that saw Enel bidding $21.48 per megawatt-hour of solar power on one sub-block of capacity.

It was the lowest price for solar in the whole of Latin America, but not quite as cheap as bids achieved in the Middle East not long before.

In October, a tender for 300 megawatts of solar power in Saudi Arabia saw Abu Dhabi developer Masdar offering a price of $17.86 per megawatt-hour, the lowest cost on the planet up until Mexico’s results this month.
By comparison, nuclear power runs about 11-18 cents per KWh - roughly 5-10x as expensive as this solar project.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

raminasi posted:

You understand that nobody you’re arguing with agrees with this, right?
Yes, I just don't understand why. People seem to agree that Nevada citizens shouldn't be entitled to California services. People seem to agree that Mexican citizens shouldn't be entitled to California services. Why does that change when a Mexican citizen sneaks across the border with false papers?

Duckbox posted:

So wait, you're not just being ruthlessly legalistic and saying "rules are rules?" You actually think the system is flawed and can and should be changed? And the only change you'd make would be to strip marginalized immigrant families of their few existing rights? Why?
It's not the only thing I'd change if given the power of fiat.
I think our border control and immigration systems are legitimate, and their enforcement is legitimate. Everything else flows from that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh yeah, gently caress you.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think our border control and immigration systems are legitimate, and their enforcement is legitimate. Everything else flows from that.

It's not. It's a racist system set up specifically to cause this particular situation and it has been for a very long time.

You can tell how much you really care about the illegal immigration situation and rule of law by how much you talk about going after employers who are breaking the law in multiple ways.

:allears:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Because an undocumented immigrant is somebody who is living, working, and contributing to their community within California. They may be a Mexican citizen, but they are also a California resident.

Jaxyon posted:

It's not. It's a racist system set up specifically to cause this particular situation and it has been for a very long time.

:allears:

Specifically as a consequence of the Hart-Celler Immigration Act of 1965. Prior to that act, immigration from Mexico and Latin America was largely unrestricted, averaging around 50,000 per year in the late 1950's. After Hart-Celler, the immigration cap for people coming to the US from Mexico was less than half of that, at 20,000 per year. Except that the economic and social conditions that made the prospect of immigrating to the US still exist, so people are still coming, but they're forced to enter the country without documentation.

The fact that we have to have a loving lottery for who gets to stay in the United States permanently should be a big warning sign that we are way too restrictive about immigration policy.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 22, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i agree with everything dead reckoning says and find no faults in his arguments. i think i speak for the entire thread when i say thank you for bringing this to our attention now can we PLEASE talk about a GENDER NEUTRAL BATHROOMS ?!??!?!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

FCKGW posted:

i agree with everything dead reckoning says and find no faults in his arguments. i think i speak for the entire thread when i say thank you for bringing this to our attention now can we PLEASE talk about a GENDER NEUTRAL BATHROOMS ?!??!?!?!?!?

gender neutral bathrooms are cool and good