Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

twistedmentat posted:

I always wondered what the food situation on the TOS Enterprise was. All I can think of is Trouble with Tribbles where Kirk uses the food processor to get his chicken sandwich and coffee (with extra tribble), but ST6 shows an actual kitchen.

I figure the food processor's good enough for day to day needs, but when you're hosting VIPs, you want real food on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

twistedmentat posted:

I always wondered what the food situation on the TOS Enterprise was. All I can think of is Trouble with Tribbles where Kirk uses the food processor to get his chicken sandwich and coffee (with extra tribble), but ST6 shows an actual kitchen.

Maybe the food IS made in a big kitchen, and the foot slots are just little turbo-dumbwaiters that distribute the dishes all over the ship.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Powered Descent posted:

Maybe the food IS made in a big kitchen, and the foot slots are just little turbo-dumbwaiters that distribute the dishes all over the ship.

Teleporters, short range.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VanSandman posted:

Teleporters, short range.

What if that's how 24th-century replicators work too? The captain pushes a button (actually an intercom) and says "Tea, Earl Grey, hot". Down in the galley on Deck 31, Crewman Whatshisface hears that, jumps up from browsing Reddit on a PADD, and says "shitshitshitshitshit" as he tries to dump a spoonful of Advanced Tea Substitute powder into a cup of hot water and get it into the little transporter to beam it to the ready room, all in a few seconds.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Every ship in the Federation has a subcrew of Harry Potter elves no one talks about.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Every ship in the Federation has a subcrew of Harry Potter elves no one talks about.

Exocomps deserve the vote

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The exocomp is refusing fabricate the dragon dildo. It must be defective, take it to be erased and reimaged.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powered Descent posted:

You know how in Futurama the tongue-in-cheek gag of the slow and backward Central Bureaucracy was that they used pneumatic tubes to send things everywhere?

I was watching some old-school Simpsons and in the first few seasons apparently pneumatic tubes were still seen as futuristic and cool, enough to be used to send messages around the nuclear power plant.

What I'm saying is you're probably right, that would have seemed like a dope-rear end future idea in the 60s.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I always liked the gigantic pot of mashed potato in ST6. Apparently in times of more militaristic Starfleet, they affect a WWI-style naval tradition with fancy uniforms, thousands of guys below deck in hammocks getting thrown around, hellish boiler rooms, and endless quantities of potatoes. Undoubtedly peeled by every E-1 they could muster.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend works in a big pharmacy that has a robot and a tube system for sending pills and supplies within the hospital, it's pretty futuristic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Food-wise, I love how the TNG technical manual implies that the basic order of things, food-wise, is this:

- Start with generic foodmatter
- Replicators make it the generic foodmatter into foods
- People eat the food
- Uneaten food goes into back into the generic foodmatter thing
- People poo
- Poo is carefully analyzed and the non-toxic stuff is put into the generic foodmatter pile

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Data Graham posted:

You know how in Futurama the tongue-in-cheek gag of the slow and backward Central Bureaucracy was that they used pneumatic tubes to send things everywhere?

I was watching some old-school Simpsons and in the first few seasons apparently pneumatic tubes were still seen as futuristic and cool, enough to be used to send messages around the nuclear power plant.

What I'm saying is you're probably right, that would have seemed like a dope-rear end future idea in the 60s.

Pneumatic tubes aren't very futuristic. They were just a way to move documents around in buildings before email. They were first used in the 1830s.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Uh no the joke was that they were still old and crappy not sure when you think the Simpsons launched but its not that old.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pneumatic tubes will never not be cool and futuristic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

I figure the food processor's good enough for day to day needs, but when you're hosting VIPs, you want real food on hand.
Plus morale. Also it probably is good for the morale of the engineering team that maintains the chow system if they're "cooks" and "chefs" instead of "food block conveyors." Let 'em have a pancake breakfast once in a while too, break up those long intervals between episodes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

In Enterprise, the food processor would poo poo out basics like fake chicken and fake bread, but it'd take a chef to turn slabs of stuff into something like a real meal.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

socialsecurity posted:

Uh no the joke was that they were still old and crappy not sure when you think the Simpsons launched but its not that old.

Yeah, that was one of many bits they were doing at the time to show how old the Nucleon Panner Plant was.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It wasn't consistent. There's a cook that calls up to the bridge in Charlie X, but by the time David Gerrold was working on The Trouble With Tribbles he was told by Gene Coon that there was no cook on the ship.
Due to a quirk in Starfleet organization the chef wore a red uniform, so by the time they got a few months into their five-year mission, well...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Knormal posted:

Due to a quirk in Starfleet organization the chef wore a red uniform, so by the time they got a few months into their five-year mission, well...

...to shreds, you say?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Riley a la bourguignon.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Nah, the chicken soup scene in Tomorrow is Yesterday seems to imply that the food is immediately made to order. I suppose they could have a big vat of chicken soup somewhere and just be hyper efficient, but the way it's written seems to suggest that the food slot could have produced anything 60s dude asked for.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Duckbag posted:

but the way it's written seems to suggest that the food slot could have produced anything 60s dude asked for.

"I want fruit and shrimp in jello please."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This Crusher detective episode has some pretty unethical medical issues, but the worst offense is that it made me notice the carpeted wall and ceiling in the shuttle set.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

Ever see the 1994 movie version of The Shadow with Alec Baldwin?

Had this private system of pneumatic tubes all over New York so he could send and receive secret messages to and from his network of agents.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This Crusher detective episode has some pretty unethical medical issues, but the worst offense is that it made me notice the carpeted wall and ceiling in the shuttle set.

"What if, hear me out, every surface in the shuttle had the same styling as the floor of an 80s Hyundai?"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

Food-wise, I love how the TNG technical manual implies that the basic order of things, food-wise, is this:

- Start with generic foodmatter
- Replicators make it the generic foodmatter into foods
- People eat the food
- Uneaten food goes into back into the generic foodmatter thing
- People poo
- Poo is carefully analyzed and the non-toxic stuff is put into the generic foodmatter pile

the cum on the holodeck floor also goes into the generic foodmatter pile

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

socialsecurity posted:

I was there to look forward to the premiere sonny. :colbert:

But the joke read to me like the tube system was quirky and mysterious (and went to a beaver dam) because the plant is a byzantine inscrutable place, not necessarily that it was that way because it was old. Could be wrong though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Duckbag posted:

Nah, the chicken soup scene in Tomorrow is Yesterday seems to imply that the food is immediately made to order. I suppose they could have a big vat of chicken soup somewhere and just be hyper efficient, but the way it's written seems to suggest that the food slot could have produced anything 60s dude asked for.

In Charlie X the Thanksgiving dinner was made with appropriately flavored and textured meatloaf instead of a real turkey, so split the difference: the food slot can produce a reasonable facsimile of anything you can ask for.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Calling meatloaf a food, facsimile or otherwise, is incredibly offensive.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

"I want fruit and shrimp in jello please."

And a double Martini.

I could see food slots being able to make simple stuff like a sandwich or soup, but anything more complex probably has to come from a kitchen. Which is probably reserved for officers and then only dinner.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I was watching Voyager last night and the episode "Shattered" came on. It's the season 7 episode where Voyager is struck by a temporal anomaly and the ship is split into different time frames with Chakotay as the only one aware of the changes initially. It was better than I remember and a fantastic premise for an episode: a present-day character has to team up with characters both past and future in order to solve the mystery of the anomaly and fix the timeline. Tons of callbacks to previous episodes. Guest stars include Seska, Chaotica, and THE FREAKIN' MACROVIRUS!

I start thinking, this is the sort of episode that should have been Voyager's series finale. That's when it hits me, Next Generation already did it.

Voyager truly is Diet TNG. All the flavor of TNG, but less fulfilling.

To tie this back into food chat:
Voyager comes from a food slot, Next Generation comes from the kitchen.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does that make bad DS9 episodes a malfunctioning replicator?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Orv posted:

Nah, it's when your partner spends all day making you a meal that you hate the taste of, but you choke it down because you love them and you appreciate the effort.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

That replicator is functioning exactly as intended, though.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

"poo poo's broken."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Orv posted:

Calling meatloaf a food, facsimile or otherwise, is incredibly offensive.

You shut your ignorant mouth. Good meatloaf is delicious and filling.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

VanSandman posted:

You shut your ignorant mouth. Good meatloaf is delicious and filling.

Yeah, I don't know what lovely meatloaf you grew up with, but my mum makes a fantastic one.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I still feel bad for the vaporized crewman in that episode. No one even seems to notice. If it were TOS or TNG, I'd just laugh at another senseless redshirt death, but DS9 never did that, so I can't help but feel for the poor bastard who got to be the one exception.

Which reminds me, I just watched The Galileo 7 last night (apparently there are still a few TOS episodes I haven't seen/don't remember), and Kirk and Spock are both hilariously reckless with people's lives. First, there's Kirk's insistence on putting off delivering medical supplies because he has "standing orders to investigate all quasars and quasar like phenomena." I mean, he has two days to spare before his rendezvous (wouldn't it be faster to just go straight to New Paris though?), but then of course something goes wrong with their shuttle and Spock and co get stranded. So every ten minutes or so the "Galactic High Commissioner" comes back to remind him that he has a deadline and Kirk acts like this guy (who I'm pretty sure is also Gary 7) is just a huge rear end in a top hat for prioritizing a planet of plague victims over seven crew members.

Meanwhile, Spock and co are crashed on the Planet of the Giants and Spock is being all coldly logical and everyone's getting mad at him and acting all spacist because he's so "inhuman." One of the crewmen gets killed by a hilarious prop spear lobbed in the general direction of his chest during a (pointless) patrol and another gets killed later because Spock leaves him (alone, for some reason) to stand watch against a pack of angry giants. I guess that's one way to solve their weight problem. At this point, Kirk, who has a whole planet to search, starts beaming down search parties on foot to just, I don't know, walk around I guess? Even he says he's just hoping to get lucky, but honestly it's completely pointless and It's not like the writers didn't know how big the planet was. Naturally, there are a couple casualties (because, you know, killer giants), so Kirk's just wasted lives for not loving reason. He doesn't even seem to feel bad about it. It's more just, "welp."

Of course, it wouldn't be Star Trek, if the day didn't get saved at the last possible minute, so this means Commissioner 7 comes in and tells him his time is up, but Kirk's still dragging his feet. First, he has to wait half an hour for the shuttle he sent to come back (shouldn't they have been recalled before the deadline?) and then he proceeds slowly at "space normal" speed so he has a little more time to scan. Of course, Spock gets the shuttle into orbit and burns all their fuel to make a plume the Enterprise can see. The shuttle burns up, but the transporter chief reports they've beamed five crewmen aboard and everyone cheers (remember, this episode is called "The Galileo 7"). Spock gets razzed for his 'human" response (even though his choice was logical), everyone laughs, cut to credits. Meanwhile, all I can picture is millions of plague victims waiting desperately for a medical shipment that's now going to be at least an hour late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well when you put it that way it sounds absolutely loving retarded.